December 20, 2014, 02:33:26 AM

Author Topic: Reminder: Announcements on September 17, 2012  (Read 14697 times)

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Reminder: Announcements on September 17, 2012
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »
Actually, I know many photographers who are using 5D2 for sports, wildlife, photojournalism and they'd never touch a crop camera like 7D, purely because of the IQ difference, but they would appreciate a smaller, lighter and cheaper body with better AF system.

Are you somehow offended that I'm wondering how big is the market potential of a camera that happens appeals to you so you have to defend by saying you know "many" photographers using the 5D2 for sports... what is many?  5?  10?  20?  Of course there are some people using every device for any given purpose.  I'm talking about market potential...  thousands and thousands of units.  And I'm wondering what the typical profile of 6D customer will be and how common that will be by thinking of how the 6D lines up against the other Canon bodies in terms of features vs. price vs. intended use.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »

whatta

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2012, 04:26:12 PM »
Excuse me for saying this, but where the !@#$% are the 60D and 7D replacements?  Sheesh!

I am also waiting for the 70d (mini 7d with a less noisy sensor) ;)
if not coming soon I will be forced to buy a 650d  :o
Canon 400d | efs 15-85 | efs 60/2.8 | Sigma 30/1.4 | (broken efs 17-85)

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2012, 04:39:06 PM »
Actually, I know many photographers who are using 5D2 for sports, wildlife, photojournalism and they'd never touch a crop camera like 7D, purely because of the IQ difference, but they would appreciate a smaller, lighter and cheaper body with better AF system.

Are you somehow offended that I'm wondering how big is the market potential of a camera that happens appeals to you so you have to defend by saying you know "many" photographers using the 5D2 for sports... what is many?  5?  10?  20?  Of course there are some people using every device for any given purpose.  I'm talking about market potential...  thousands and thousands of units.  And I'm wondering what the typical profile of 6D customer will be and how common that will be by thinking of how the 6D lines up against the other Canon bodies in terms of features vs. price vs. intended use.

I'm not offended, really :). I'm just stating my position and trying to explain why I think so ;).
There are reasons why people prefer 5D2 over other more or less expensive bodies. I'm just saying that when it comes to APS-C vs FF for the same price, many would choose FF even if it was slower (fps) and had less AF points. While such smaller/lighter and cheaper FF body may be very attractive even for 5D3 owners and many of them would be happy to trade their 5D3 for 6D+$1000 (if such camera turns out to be a real). Not to mention the $1500 difference predicted by others :).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:42:03 PM by ecka »
FF + primes !

DzPhotography

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2012, 04:48:36 PM »
Excuse me for saying this, but where the !@#$% are the 60D and 7D replacements?  Sheesh!

Not true imho. 7D now is as noisy as 60D = 550D...
EOS 550D | EOS 7D | EOS 6D | EOS 1Dx | EF-S 15-85 | EF 28f2.8 | EF 30f2.0 | EF 40f2.8 | EF 50f1.8II | EF 16-35f2.8L MkII | EF 24-105 f4L | EF 24-70f2.8L | EF 70-200f2.8L MkII | Sigma 10f2.8 Fisheye | Sigma 50f1.4 | Tamron 17-50f2.8VC | Tokina 11-16f2.8 | 430EXII | 580EXII

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »

No need... those bodies still rock.

My long-discontinued T2i has a feature I used all the time that the 7D lacks - video crop mode.  So does the 60D.

The 5D3/1Dx AF system need to be adapted to a new high-end crop body, hopefully with f/8 AF and with flexible video crop modes.  A new and improved sensor would also be nice.

I shot my 50,000th shot with my 20D today, and I'll be keeping that until Canon decides that an improved 7D is worth their time.

whatta

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2012, 05:26:24 PM »

what is not true? sorry, I did not get your point.
Canon 400d | efs 15-85 | efs 60/2.8 | Sigma 30/1.4 | (broken efs 17-85)

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2012, 05:51:01 PM »

Of course the 7D is as noisy as the 60D... it uses the same sensor.  But if a 70D (or 7D2) is announced it will likely have a new sensor which could possibly be less noisy but that's all speculation.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2012, 05:51:01 PM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2012, 06:00:12 PM »

No need... those bodies still rock.

My long-discontinued T2i has a feature I used all the time that the 7D lacks - video crop mode.  So does the 60D.

The 5D3/1Dx AF system need to be adapted to a new high-end crop body, hopefully with f/8 AF and with flexible video crop modes.  A new and improved sensor would also be nice.

I shot my 50,000th shot with my 20D today, and I'll be keeping that until Canon decides that an improved 7D is worth their time.

Don't know much about DSLR video but to my understanding video crop mode is pretty much a crutch feature... the resulting low-res video cropped from the centre of the frame is a weak replacement for a longer lens or moving closer.   So, no wonder it's not in the 7D or higher.  But again, I don't know much about video so... perhaps I'm wrong.

Not sure what you mean by adapting the 1DX AF to a crop body.   The 7D already has stellar AF comparable to the 1D4.   And until the 1DX gets f/8 AF don't count on it in a 7D replacement.

A 20D is great body... if you were shooting sports though there is no comparison to the 7D... better comparison is to the 60D and then, sure, you may not want the upgrade.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2012, 06:26:42 PM »

I'm not offended, really :). I'm just stating my position and trying to explain why I think so ;).
There are reasons why people prefer 5D2 over other more or less expensive bodies. I'm just saying that when it comes to APS-C vs FF for the same price, many would choose FF even if it was slower (fps) and had less AF points. While such smaller/lighter and cheaper FF body may be very attractive even for 5D3 owners and many of them would be happy to trade their 5D3 for 6D+$1000 (if such camera turns out to be a real). Not to mention the $1500 difference predicted by others :).

Well then I don't get it... I'm talking about the market size potential of the alleged 6D and you're only responding that it'll be a good camera and some people will buy it.  I don't dispute that it'll be a great camera or that some people will buy it.

So you're saying that if there was a FF for the same price as an APS-C many would choose the FF.  Yep, your're right... but it's not going to be the same price, it'll be $1200 more than the top end Rebel and will be $700 more than a 7D for less performance... other than the IQ of the sensor... and that's my point... that's the only reason to buy it over a Rebel or 7D but to how many people will it be worth the extra money.   Don't think about it in terms of yourself or any Canon Rumors member... everyone that spends any time on here is already an "enthusiast" and an advanced photography consumer compared to the millions that walk into Best Buy and pick up a Rebel.

mirekti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2012, 06:49:45 PM »

Does anybody know at what time Canon will make an announcement? I couldn't find anything on their webpage.
I hope it'll be before 8AM in Germany so I can fall asleep before 2AM EST  ;)
M240 | 35mm FLE | 75mm Cron | 135mm APO

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2012, 06:55:45 PM »

Does anybody know at what time Canon will make an announcement? I couldn't find anything on their webpage.
I hope it'll be before 8AM in Germany so I can fall asleep before 2AM EST  ;)

Late-morning Japan time so around mid-night EST

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2012, 07:54:36 PM »
Well it's 930am Aussie Time, so should be about the same Japan Time.
Where's my announcements?
seeing as i've already said I don't care about 6D, i'm wondering what else to care about. I'll never afford a 200-400, although i'd like to play 'guess-the-price-Bingo'
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2012, 08:11:58 PM »
Well it's 930am Aussie Time, so should be about the same Japan Time.
Where's my announcements?
seeing as i've already said I don't care about 6D, i'm wondering what else to care about. I'll never afford a 200-400, although i'd like to play 'guess-the-price-Bingo'

Hey Doc, if you woke up at 4:30am then sure 9:30am is late morning... for the rest of late morning is 11am or even noon :D

I'm interested in the S110... maybe it'll be FF

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2012, 08:11:58 PM »

powershot2012

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2012, 08:17:09 PM »
Me too, but only if Canon has a sensor larger than 1/1.7"; otherwise the RX100 is getting my purchase.

I'm interested in the S110... maybe it'll be FF

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2012, 08:18:09 PM »

Well then I don't get it... I'm talking about the market size potential of the alleged 6D and you're only responding that it'll be a good camera and some people will buy it.  I don't dispute that it'll be a great camera or that some people will buy it.

So you're saying that if there was a FF for the same price as an APS-C many would choose the FF.  Yep, your're right... but it's not going to be the same price, it'll be $1200 more than the top end Rebel and will be $700 more than a 7D for less performance... other than the IQ of the sensor... and that's my point... that's the only reason to buy it over a Rebel or 7D but to how many people will it be worth the extra money.   Don't think about it in terms of yourself or any Canon Rumors member... everyone that spends any time on here is already an "enthusiast" and an advanced photography consumer compared to the millions that walk into Best Buy and pick up a Rebel.

Let me remind you that the starting argument was about 6D MSRP, which I think should be around $2500. It would be $1000 cheaper than 5D3 and $600 more than the expected 7D replacement ($1900). You can't have a new FF DSLR for cheap, not yet. Now, why are you comparing 6D with a Rebel?
...other than the IQ of the sensor... and that's my point... that's the only reason to buy it over a Rebel...
That's ridiculous. Compare it with something that's at least weather-sealed + some other "pro features". With FF you are not getting twice the camera, but you are getting twice the picture (2.5 times to be exact). So, 2.5 x 4.5fps is actually more than 1 x 8fps ;D. I may be wrong, but I think that $2100 MSRP is just a wishful thinking. Just like $1500 D600 with 16bit sensor in it  :P.
If your position is like - 6D must be $2100 or less, otherwise 5D3 or 7D would be a better camera, because you think that most people are more interested in speed than IQ and that's the politics of the market - then good luck ;). I'm gonna get some sleep now.

FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2012, 08:18:09 PM »