October 23, 2014, 03:01:45 PM

Author Topic: Adorama is Taking Pre-Orders for EOS 6D  (Read 10542 times)

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Adorama is Taking Pre-Orders for EOS 6D
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2012, 09:57:29 PM »
The 5D3 should be cheaper than the D600? That's a bit ridiculous don't you think?

Nope. In terms of sensor IQ that is where it sits. It is simply not a competitor to the D800. At the same price or slightly less then the D700 it is spec'd well and would be a very solid competitor.

And who exactly are they behind? Nikon isn't even making the sensors Sony is, so.... who exactly is Canon behind again?

Canon is behind Sony. Since Nikon uses Sony sensors, Canon is also behind Nikon.

Why doesn't everybody say I'm gonna go buy the Sony XXXX then?

Because Nikon has the better lens collection vs. Sony. And because Sony keeps playing with technologies that aren't ready for prime time yet. For example, I would never consider Sony's FF body because of the EVF.

I think the D800 and similar cameras are good for us as Canon owners as it forces Canon to give us better and/or cheaper products, that's the beauty of a free market with competition, but outside of the sensor what is the 800D really better at than the 5D III?

It doesn't need to be better at anything else. It's spec'd about the same on everything else, and the sensor is a significant step above Canon's.

Put simply the competition is differentiating their high end bodies on resolution and shooting speed, which makes sense. The 1Dx is fine for its market segment, but Canon is trying to differentiate the 5D3 based on nothing more than AF. The D800 has comparable AF and a better sensor. The D600 has slightly worse AF and a better sensor. What makes Canon think the 5D3 should be positioned against the D800?

If Canon did what I said above, then the 5D3 would be priced against the D600 and there would be a high resolution body priced against the D800. Canon can't deliver the noise and DR that Sony can right now. But they could scale their APS-C sensor to 45 MP FF. It would have more noise and less DR then the D800, but also more fine detail, and if it was otherwise spec'd and priced to match it would be a wash. Lots of people jumping ship for the D800 would stick around for such a Canon body.

But that body doesn't exist, and Canon expects us to pay the same price just to get decent AF. Ridiculous.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2012, 09:57:29 PM »

Noink Fanb0i

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 12:05:48 AM »
Well, to be fair, crApple has played the same Canon game ("pay more for less") and it hasn't stopped the bandwagoneering, carpetbagging stock market analysts to continue to pump&dump their shares in anticipation of blockbuster sales numbers. Unfortunately for Canon, the consumers in this gadget segment aren't as tech-ignorant.
T3 is the bobn2 of Canon fanb0is.

DianeK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 01:48:22 AM »
Well, to be fair, crApple has played the same Canon game ("pay more for less") and it hasn't stopped the bandwagoneering, carpetbagging stock market analysts to continue to pump&dump their shares in anticipation of blockbuster sales numbers. Unfortunately for Canon, the consumers in this gadget segment aren't as tech-ignorant.
Yes, the similarities between Canon and Apple are not lost on me either.  I equate the beauty of Mac machines with the beauty of L lens, and unfortunately both companies seem to have developed an unwarranted sense of infallability.  And doubly unfortunate I happen to be both a Mac and Canon user  ;).

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 03:06:55 AM »
hehehe, looks like ebay sellers have also jumped on the bandwagon...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 03:20:07 AM »

The problem is that Apple products are everyday tools that might make you look cool in everyday life. High-end cameras are addressed to people who have higher expectations in terms of output, and showing off only works with people knowing what an L lens is.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 03:20:07 AM »