November 26, 2014, 01:57:12 PM

Author Topic: For those whose paid full price on 5d III, how do you feel about the price drop?  (Read 20958 times)

Tammy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
The Adorama auction closed back up at $3,459.

This thread is hugely misleading as there isn't a true market wide price drop. I do not feel jipped in the least, i've loved every second shooting with my 5D3 since March and I just got back from a nice trip to Europe with it.
5D Mk III - 24-70L Mk II - 24L Mk II - 100L - 135L - 50mm F/1.4

canon rumors FORUM

DB

If you buy a new camera as soon as it is available are you really seriously thinking THAT would be the price for the next three years??

No I don't care!

Of course not, but not $750 after 6MONTHS from the release date.

True, but you have to factor in the fact that the 5D3 was overvalued to begin with - remember the consensus price talk on CR before Easter was $2999 - so it was 20% overpriced to begin with. Now it shed another 10-15% which is the 'early adopter' premium (or you could say the Pre-Order 'I must have it now!' excess, or as economists' say "the wanting of waiting").

scokar

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile

I'm not sure the Adorama Ebay offer is legitimate

[ ... ]

it is as legitimate as it can get other than a hand deliver by Haruo Murase with personal instruction by Masami Kawasaki.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography

This thread is hugely misleading as there isn't a true market wide price drop. I do not feel jipped in the least, i've loved every second shooting with my 5D3 since March and I just got back from a nice trip to Europe with it.

HAHA...love it  +100!!!  One place offers a limited time offer and you get this type of thread!  Agreed agreed agreed!

I said this on another thread, will say it again here.  on the business side of a photographers life, undercutting your competition is generally frowned upon.  Now I don't know for sure if nikon is selling the d800 at a lloss, or if the cost is just defrayed that much due to their deal with sony - but I use this analogy.  Wedding photographer A set's their price for value at $3500.  Wedding photographer B is just as skilled, but decided to undercut A by offering a similar package at $3000.  Now if you read many pro forums, Photographer B isn't exactly respected for that.  and it kind of forces photographer A into 2 choices -- lower their cost to compete, or, stick to your guns and keep the rate the same and hope that clients see your value and go with it.

Is it that much different for those that sell us the tools to do our craft? 
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Bob Howland

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile

I'm not sure the Adorama Ebay offer is legitimate

[ ... ]

it is as legitimate as it can get other than a hand deliver by Haruo Murase with personal instruction by Masami Kawasaki.

Who are they?

nonac

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Marty Beck Photography
I'm not real happy about it since I just bought mine about 5 weeks ago.  I think it will hurt Canon a little because I, as well as others I'm sure, will NEVER buy their new gear until at least 6-12 months after release.  I didn't need mine right away; however, I never dreamed that it would drop that much in that short time frame.  They should not have overpriced it to begin with! 
5d Mark III, 7d Mark II, 24mm f/1.4L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 135 f/2L, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, EF 1.4x III

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
For those whose paid full price on 5D III, how do you feel about the 5D III price drop at Adorama Ebay store?

Dylan

I'm not sure the Adorama Ebay offer is legitimate. Adorama has a perfectly good website. The current price there is $3949. Why would Adorama create an alternate sales channel with a much lower price? I doubt that selling via Ebay lowers Adorama costs to that extent and I certainly don't think that Canon is cutting their price to Adorama when selling via Ebay.

As for how I feel, when I ordered the camera this past Spring, I asked myself how I would feel if it cost $3000 in December. I decided I could live with it.

Update: Correction, $3459
Selling via ebay certainly doesn't lower Adorama's selling costs.  They get a big break off ebay comissions and paypal comissions based on sales volume (I get a measly 20%).  Adorama also sells on Amazon, and that likely costs them more as well.  However, keeping sales at a high volume also generates not only incentives, but you are the first to get new products as they are delivered.
Selling indirectly through ebay is a way for Canon to blow out excess inventory without dropping MSRP or having low prices advertised on websites.  You can see by the comments here that some are not believing the deal, so the impact on Canon is less.  Having bought from Adorama on ebay for years, including when Microsoft Bing was giving 25% cash rebates for Ebay Purchases, I am sure that my purchase is legit.  (I received the tracking number this morning).
I do the same with my web store.  I sell on the web, thru ebay, thru some other web sites, and soon on Amazon.  Keeping volume up is very important and generates more overall profit.

canon rumors FORUM

papa-razzi

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile

+1

This was a 1 day event on ebay by a vendor - not even on their own website - not a price drop by Canon.
What if I said my neighbor pre-ordered from 3 different vendors and ended up selling one of the extras to me for $3k?  Sometimes deals happen.

This is a camera, you didn't buy it like a stock expecting it to go up in value over time.  Market conditions & competitive pressure will dictate what price Canon can charge.

If you felt it was a good decision for you to purchase the camera for the price you did at the time you did - then that was YOUR decision.  If you thought the price was too high or the price would drop after 6-12 months, you should have waited or not made the purchase.  I doubt any of you purchased the camera thinking - "I will only be happy with my purchase if the price doesn't drop much below what I paid for at least a year".

Really people.  So much sour grapes over a decision you made yourself.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 08:16:57 PM by papa-razzi »
6D | 7D  | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM | EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM |
EF 35mm f/2 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Camera has worked like a champ for me and love what it can do. Yeah it can always have been cheaper but love that I got the jobs I got and fully learned the system rather than waiting. No complaints. Wasn't a victim and bought it fully aware and knew what would happen eventually so I'm cool
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

beckstoy

• Rebel T5i
  • Bokeh, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • Pure Touch Photography
I, for one, don't think about it.  Maybe I ended up paying a couple of hundred more overall, but HEY!  I've been shooting with it for five months now, and my business is awesome because of it! 

If I wasn't a photo pro, but rather a casual shooter, I'd obsess about this.  When I'm earning $ and building my reputation with it, I don't even consider it.
5DM3, EF 50 f1.4, EF 24-70 f2.8 II, EF 70-200 f2.8 USM IS II, EF 24-104 f4, Siggy 12-24 f3.5

AAPhotog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
I tried to sell mine for 3,000 on CL a few weeks ago. Didn't get one single bite.
they are going for about 2800 around here. Many of them claiming to be unopened boxes
iPhone 4s camera

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Price drop or no, it wouldn't have made a difference since I live in NYC and would have had to pay taxes on top of it. Luckily I bought my Mark III from Crutchfield with no taxes and free shipping when it first came out.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
I'm not sure the Adorama Ebay offer is legitimate.

I had a similar concern with a previous purchase (a Lowepro bag that was ~25% cheaper on Adorama's eBay storefront).  The concern was compounded by the fact that I don't use eBay.  I contacted Adorama directly, confirmed their eBay storefront is completely legitimate, and was also informed that with a phone order placed with Adorama's regular number, they would honor the eBay pricing.  It turned out I got an even better deal - the eBay offer did not include shipping, but Adorama honored the lower price, and didn't charge for shipping (probably because the full price item shipped free).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

bdunbar79

• View Profile
Adorama is actually really, really good.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
The 5D Mark III is MMAP priced... Adorama does the eBay thing to get around that by not actually having it on their site. That's why the deals don't last long.
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM