September 17, 2014, 01:48:14 AM

Author Topic: For those whose paid full price on 5d III, how do you feel about the price drop?  (Read 20079 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
The 5D Mark III is MMAP priced...

Um, for the simple german people like me ... what is mmap? Does it apply in europe, too? Will it change anytime soon, whatever it is :-o ?

canon rumors FORUM

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
if canon gets a bloody nose with it´s overpriced strategy.. im all for it!!
i said it when the 5D MK3 was announced .. i will not buy it as long as it cost more then 2500$.

and that translates to 2500 EURO (!) here in europe. :(

6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

ablearcher

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
It was obvious that MKIII was heavily overpriced right from the start. Plus everyone knew the price for D800 and MKII. So I just assume that whoever paid full MSRP for MKIII in spring made an informed decision to pay more, a lot more than this cam is worth. We all have different needs for our cameras, so I'm sure many early adopters had enough reasons to justify paying full MSRP. But for the rest - live and learn. Maybe next time companies like Canon will not milk as many loyal customers as Canon did with MKIII. I think 2012 was the worst year in terms of canonites switching to Nikon. Hopefully Canon will learn from this too and will change their marketing team for the next year products.

Time will tell, but the street price of 6D might fall even faster. In fact, I think it started falling already, even before this cam is available for purchase...
Canon 7D; Canon 5D MKIII; Canon EF-S 10-22mm; Canon 50mm 1.8; Canon 28mm 1.8; Canon 85mm 1.8; Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS; Canon 135mm 2.0 L; Canon 35mm 1.4 L.

ippikiokami

I've shot around 30k photos since I've gotten my 5d III and I would say in about 20k of them I've taken advantage of the advances that this camera brings (even over my 1d4)

Money well spent.

kirispupis

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
My, what a scandalous title for a discussion.  If you are one of those folks who spend a tremendous amount on gear that you then take out once in awhile and state "look how nice a camera I have!" and once in awhile get out and take photos that you think are awesome but are really a waste of a perfectly good hard drive then yes, I can understand your anger that a few individuals who waited awhile managed to find a deal online.

As someone who actually uses my 5D3, I certainly have no remorse.  Since picking my camera up in the beginning of April I have taken over 20k shots, travelling with it to Dubai and Tuscany and getting a number of shots I would have had no chance with on my old 5D2 or 7D.

If I wanted to I could easily sell these shots to make up for the drop in price.  Seriously, rather than concentrate on discussions like this, just get out and photograph.
5D3|TS-E 24 II|TS-E 17|TS-E 90|200-400/1.4x|MP-E 65|100/2.8 IS Macro|70-200/2.8 IS II||16-35/2.8 II|EOS M

jalbfb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Meh...
Happy owner of the 5D Mark III, 24-105 f/4L and other L lenses

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
The 5D Mark III is MMAP priced...

Um, for the simple german people like me ... what is mmap? Does it apply in europe, too? Will it change anytime soon, whatever it is :-o ?

I think it means Manufacturer's Minimum Advertised Price. It means that dealers cannot advertise a price below a minimum set by the manufacturer. It can be sold below that price, but can't be advertised below it. So, that is why sometimes you see a button that says "add to cart for final price." Or, there will be a link on Canon Rumors, Photo Rumors or Canon Price Watch that if you click on it you get sent to a page with a lower price than on Adorama's or B&H's  regular site; and why they may sell something on eBay at a lower price than advertised on their website.

It is also why, during rebates, the prices get jacked up. In order to participate in the rebate, the retailer has to honor the minimum advertised price, even if they were selling it for less than that a week before.

My understanding. Someone with more knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
My, what a scandalous title for a discussion.  If you are one of those folks who spend a tremendous amount on gear that you then take out once in awhile and state "look how nice a camera I have!" and once in awhile get out and take photos that you think are awesome but are really a waste of a perfectly good hard drive then yes, I can understand your anger that a few individuals who waited awhile managed to find a deal online.

As someone who actually uses my 5D3, I certainly have no remorse.  Since picking my camera up in the beginning of April I have taken over 20k shots, travelling with it to Dubai and Tuscany and getting a number of shots I would have had no chance with on my old 5D2 or 7D.

If I wanted to I could easily sell these shots to make up for the drop in price.  Seriously, rather than concentrate on discussions like this, just get out and photograph.

Even worse, the price drop was "One Day Only." 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
I think it means Manufacturer's Minimum Advertised Price.

Thx for explaining :-)

TriGGy

I have no regrets buying the 5DM3 a month ago - I have been loving the camera more everytime I use it. Sure the $750 could have bought me an iPad. I have taken lots of high ISO pics that could have not been done satisfactorally with the 7D, and each time I review those pics they bring a huge smile on my face.

I am happy for the other folks who took advantage of the one-day bargain.

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
The 5DIII was over priced at launch, but not by Canon....it was the greedy retailers who wouldn't discount. Everyone here in the UK was selling at RRP. Now that there's more competition, sellers are shifting boxes at less than rrp...but the UK price is still over inflated. I can get a new 5DIII including UK VAT (20%) from a seller in Jersey for £2300, that's still way below any one in the UK is selling and these guys still make a nice profit...lol! My EX 600 RT cost me £425....best shop price was £699 at the time.
I've had my 5DIII since launch...I seem to have been the first guy in my area who had one and I've racked up 18K shots on mine. A lot of these are wedding work, but a number of them are from some Birding and landscape work...for Birding, the AF is marvelous. Better than a 1DsIII in my humble op.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:02:07 AM by GMCPhotographics »

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
Don't know if anyone's interested but the 5D3 is on sale here in Finland at 2799eur including and extra battery pack.
They have a kit with the 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens for 3799eur, which does not seem like such a bargain as the lens can be had for way less than 1000eur.

http://www.digitarvike.fi

PS. I am not affiliated with this dealer, I just stumbled on to their website looking for some other stuff.  :)
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Don't know if anyone's interested but the 5D3 is on sale here in Finland at 2799eur including and extra battery pack.

Though my finnish is past its prime :-p this sounds quite interesting - if there aren't any hidden catches like €100 shipping costs or a waiting time of 1 month until delivery when all other shops sell it @€2800 too.

Btw: Everywhere else the 5d3 AND 5d2 price jumped up €100 after the 6d announcement, and the 5d3 is often out of stock :-(

canon rumors FORUM

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr

Though my finnish is past its prime :-p this sounds quite interesting - if there aren't any hidden catches like €100 shipping costs or a waiting time of 1 month until delivery when all other shops sell it @€2800 too.

Btw: Everywhere else the 5d3 AND 5d2 price jumped up €100 after the 6d announcement, and the 5d3 is often out of stock :-(

I check their website and they state they have 5+ units in stock.
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
I check their website and they state they have 5+ units in stock.

I checked the local retailers in Berlin. But if some budget online shop says "5+ units in stock" it doesn't mean anything since it cannot be disproven, a common business model to attract customers. That's why there's such a high fee for payment on delivery in contrast to up front...

canon rumors FORUM