December 22, 2014, 03:54:18 AM

Author Topic: For those whose paid full price on 5d III, how do you feel about the price drop?  (Read 21345 times)

Eimajm

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Everyone surely knows than when a product is released it is priced above the market value with the intention of dropping it later. This happens with every new product, those who bought it at the release price are prepared to pay the higher premium. The price drop was expected as is with every other body and lens.

canon rumors FORUM

Longvision

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Wasn't the Adorama Ebay offer a one day special ? You can't take that as the current price standard, then.

That being said, I'm pretty sure more and more bargains are going to show up.

I purchased my 5DIII in june for 3299€ from a brick and mortar store, within walking distance from my home, with a 4y extended warranty at no extra cost. I don't spend that kind of money on an item all that often, so I'd rather have the added security of having a real person next door to take my camera to in case something goes wrong.

Am I concerned about the price drop ? No. I love the camera, have a number of pictures I'm really happy with already, and I knew right from the moment I paid for it that a price drop within weeks was very likely. The time I didn't spend waiting and looking around for a better deal I spent taking pictures. The subsequent extra cost was worth it, in my opinion.

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
I have mixed feeling for Canon when I saw the price drop.

Second, this is just me - Canon allows or accepts the price drop nearly 25% on a 6 months old body....THAT IS NOT RIGHT. This is a lesson & learn for me.

Am I going to place another pre-order with Canon in the future????  am I going to continuous with Canon products??? Time will tell.

This is nothin new. There are websites dedicated to monitor the prices of tech products. A short look there will reveal, that it is not wise to order a product as soon as it is announced, simply because you have to pay a premium to be one of the first to have this product.
My advice, wait at least 3 month after the introduction, with a product, that has shipping problems in the beginning (like the 5D3, wait even longer)

Should you order the 6D now for 2100$ ? Well if you have spare money then go on, but wait for 3-5 month, and you can get it for 1800$. Wait another year, it will be down to 1500-1600$. You won't be among the first to have the brand new camera, and you have to live a little bit longer with your old one, but it will save you money (and the quality should also be better of the later produced cameras).

As long as there are so many people out there, who always like to have the newest toys, companies will charge you extra.

ro_n

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile

I'm fine with paying the full prize for this wonderful camera.

Always looking forward, never looking back...  ;D
"Der braucht nimmer kommen, den fotografier i auswendig!" Karl Valentin

Maui5150

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
For those whose paid full price on 5D III, how do you feel about the 5D III price drop at Adorama Ebay store?

I'll go first. I'm one of the millions people placed a pre-order right after the announcement - YES the very 1st patch with "light leak"  ;D ;D issues....I have mixed feeling for Canon when I saw the price drop.

First, I'm happy for those jumped on this deal for $2749 from an AUTHORIZED DEALER with full 1 year US warranty. I would do the same - TRUST ME.

Second, this is just me - Canon allows or accepts the price drop nearly 25% on a 6 months old body....THAT IS NOT RIGHT. This is a lesson & learn for me.

Am I going to place another pre-order with Canon in the future????  am I going to continuous with Canon products??? Time will tell.

What about you? how do you feel?

Dylan

What exactly is your point?

Very rarely, if at all does the price of an electronic device RISE over say a 6 month period, especially where a lifespan of a product cycle is around 3 years before a replacement/upgrade is released. 

What was the price of the 5D MKII when it was released?  What was its "price" 8 months ago?  What is it today?  Maybe we can ask the folks who paid $2199 for a 5D MK II November who can now get it for what the Refurb price was. 

In fact, I would not be surprised if come November, both cameras can be had for $100 - $200 less.

Early adopters ALWAYS pay a higher price for early use.  To most, they are paying to step up sooner than waiting for the price to fall into the sweet spot which generally does not come for about 14 months

bbasiaga

• EOS M2
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
Yep, its just the name of the game.  I bought a 42" TV about 4 years ago for what I can get a 55" TV for now.  Should I be ticked at Sony? 

Also, it just amazes me that people talk abou the Ebay deals on these MKIIIs like its a price drop.  Its not.  The price has not dropped.  There have been a few, very limited deals.  It would be like saying Canon raised the launch price for the MKIII because people were paying more than MSRP to be among the first to have them.  There was no increase then, there is no drop now.  Maybe we should be mad at some stores for running a sale?

Sheesh.

-Brian

PerfectSavage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Clearly this was either a grey-market camera (which Adorama is famous for but always clearly states) or a mistake.  The price on Adorama's eBay store is back to regular price. 

Who cares anyway?  If you bought the camera on day one, or even at ABOVE list price from someone who had an early model then you clearly did your own cost-benefit analysis and deemed it WORTH IT.  To some it wasn't worth it and they didn't buy it, to others it was worth twice the price and they bought two.  What happens afterward is none of your business, it's a free market...and a camera is a depreciable asset...just like a TV, PC or a car for that matter.

Moreover, the list price hasn't officially changed so this is a moot topic really isn't it?

canon rumors FORUM

kiniro

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
The price for the 5d III dropped?  Damn! They should fire the CEO of Canon's DSLR Division for this one also.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
To me, it was a business decision and while i'm sure I could have gotten similar shots with my other cameras as I do with the 5d3, the 5d3 makes life so much easier and more efficient...  To me, its worth every penny and best of all, next april I get to write every penny of it off in taxes...  It already has paid for itself in jobs and every job going forward is funding paychecks and future expenses... lenses, monopods, lights, etc...  Yes prices will always drop but as I mentioned before, we all KNEW that fact when we bought the camera... we expected it, so we shouldn't be butt hurt when it happens.  For me, personally, this was the single biggest purchase I've made other than my education, within the photography industry, and I dont regret it one bit... (just dont ask my wife the same question, haha) 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
Everyone surely knows than when a product is released it is priced above the market value with the intention of dropping it later. This happens with every new product, those who bought it at the release price are prepared to pay the higher premium. The price drop was expected as is with every other body and lens.

I see many posts similar to that in this thread.

I have to point out a few things:

* Some of us said, a few months back, that the price would fall at least to match the D800 price. Most early adopters said that was nonsense.

* If that is so common and happens every time, how come it didn't happen to the D800?

Truth is, the D800 is the winner in this round, and the 5D3 had to fall down in price. Just like the 60D had to go down when the D7000 appeared, but the D7000 held its price tag. And just like the D700 had to go down when the 5D2 appeared, but the 5D2 held its price tag.

* July 2008: Nikon launches D700 at $3000
* Sep 2008: Canon launches much better 5D2 at $2700
* Dec 2008: D700 has fallen to $2320, 5D2 still $2700
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Nikon-12-1MP-FX-Format-Digital-3-0-Inch/product/B001BTCSI6
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Canon-21-1MP-Frame-Digital-Camera/product/B001G5ZTLS

aug-2010: Canon launches 60D at $1400
sep-2010: Nikon launches D7000 at $1200; it's better in some areas (noise, DR, color) but worse in others (mpix, video, swivel screen)
oct-2010: 60D has fallen to $1250, D7000 remains at $1200
since jan-2011: 60D almost always cheaper than D7000
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Canon-60D-3-0-Inch-18-135mm-Standard/product/B0040JHVC2
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Nikon-16-2MP-DX-Format-Digital-3-0-Inch/product/B0042X9LC4

My point is. This is not something that "always happens". This is something that "always happens to the loser".

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
How can i regret it? I have used it a lot! I was willing to pay $3500 then and know i could have waited for price to drop but i had events i wanted this camera for and I wanted to get familiar with it for this wedding season and i was able to. This just makes it easier to order a second 5DM3 which is my next goal next to the sigma 35L.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Sony

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
5D MKiii price drops? I bought one at 3,499.00 in June and love it. I will sell my old 50D to get another 5D MKiii. LOL.

bdunbar79

• View Profile

* Some of us said, a few months back, that the price would fall at least to match the D800 price. Most early adopters said that was nonsense.

* If that is so common and happens every time, how come it didn't happen to the D800?

Truth is, the D800 is the winner in this round, and the 5D3 had to fall down in price. Just like the 60D had to go down when the D7000 appeared, but the D7000 held its price tag. And just like the D700 had to go down when the 5D2 appeared, but the 5D2 held its price tag.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Nikon-12-1MP-FX-Format-Digital-3-0-Inch/product/B001BTCSI6

sep-2010: Nikon launches D7000 at $1200; it's better in some areas (noise, DR, color) but worse in others (mpix, video, swivel screen)
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Canon-60D-3-0-Inch-18-135mm-Standard/product/B0040JHVC2
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Nikon-16-2MP-DX-Format-Digital-3-0-Inch/product/B0042X9LC4

My point is. This is not something that "always happens". This is something that "always happens to the loser".

You're counting the 5D Mark III as "dropping in price" when it only happened one day and then went back up to where it was in April?  And only ONE vendor?  Interesting.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography

You're counting the 5D Mark III as "dropping in price" when it only happened one day and then went back up to where it was in April?  And only ONE vendor?  Interesting.

And that's also on the same token calling the 5d3 the "loser" camera...  Market prices will change and special promotion and ebay will change...  I dont think anyone in their right mind thinks the 5d3 is a hands down loser all around...  Quite the opposite in many reviews and comparisons...  But you wont convince some people...
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Tammy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
This is ridiculous. So it dropped $50 across most authorized vendors in 6 months and everyone rejoices. $150 through 3rd party possibly/likely vendors with no warranty? minus well buy it on ebay with no warranty, going new for about $3,000 and buy a squaretrade warranty.

I've enjoyed my 5D3 and the higher quality photos and the advanced performance it has delivered for me in 6 months over my 5D2. I wouldn't have waited 6 months for $50. I did jump on that Adorama stock clearance though and will sell it for profit. =)
5D Mk III - 24-70L Mk II - 24L Mk II - 100L - 135L - 50mm F/1.4

canon rumors FORUM