October 25, 2014, 07:21:48 PM

Author Topic: For those whose paid full price on 5d III, how do you feel about the price drop?  (Read 20555 times)

Tammy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Being realistic, I'd also like to point out the D700 was NOT a clear loser to the 5D2. DxO would argue otherwise, as well as enough reviews. The D700 was a better all around camera, much the same as the 5D3 is etc.
5D Mk III - 24-70L Mk II - 24L Mk II - 100L - 135L - 50mm F/1.4

canon rumors FORUM

cliffwang

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
My question is why people paid full price for 5D3.  I guess that's because they believe 3500 is right price for them.  What's going on here is many people don't think 3500 is the right price and did buy 5D3 @ full price.  Thus, Canon or dealers have to drop the price.
I didn't get the the best deal but I also got my 5D3 under 3K.  I honestly envy those people got the best price.  However, I just feel fine and happy for those people got great deal.
For me there is nothing wrong for Canon and those people paid at full price for 5D3.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

cliffwang

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
This is ridiculous. So it dropped $50 across most authorized vendors in 6 months and everyone rejoices. $150 through 3rd party possibly/likely vendors with no warranty? minus well buy it on ebay with no warranty, going new for about $3,000 and buy a squaretrade warranty.

I've enjoyed my 5D3 and the higher quality photos and the advanced performance it has delivered for me in 6 months over my 5D2. I wouldn't have waited 6 months for $50. I did jump on that Adorama stock clearance though and will sell it for profit. =)

I think you have some mistakes.  Adorama is a Canon authorized dealer and the price is 2749, $750USD different.  Two weeks ago Beach Camera another Canon authorized dealer offered 2800, $700USD different.  5D3 price from many authorized dealers are around 3K nowadays.  You can see deals under 3K easily.
You may not care about the 5D3 market now, so you don't know what's going on for 5D3 market.  However, your post will give people wrong information.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

erwinrm

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
A policy that works for me is to forget the price after I buy an item. 

Prior to buying the item, I would already have spent days, maybe weeks, researching and reading reviews.  I've already decided that I wanted it, and that I'm going to get it.  Done.
620 | XT | T2i | 7D

Plato the Wise

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
I paid full price and have no regrets. Early adopters always pay more and I am 100% OK with that. Hunting and or waiting for bargains just isn't my thing. And I feel more comfortable supporting my local store, who then support me by answering questions and helping out when needed.

cliffwang

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
I paid full price and have no regrets. Early adopters always pay more and I am 100% OK with that. Hunting and or waiting for bargains just isn't my thing. And I feel more comfortable supporting my local store, who then support me by answering questions and helping out when needed.

That's great attitude.  I didn't have the thought to support my local store till few years ago.  Now I am trying to buy stuff from my city.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
A policy that works for me is to forget the price after I buy an item. 

Prior to buying the item, I would already have spent days, maybe weeks, researching and reading reviews.  I've already decided that I wanted it, and that I'm going to get it.  Done.

Ditto! !!!! +10
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I did the smart thing and bought mine off evilbay for 3099$. Got to use it for a few jobs and the price drop didn't hurt me too much.

Its all good but I will be picking up a second 5D3 soon. 8)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
For those whose paid full price on 5D III, how do you feel about the 5D III price drop at Adorama Ebay store?

I'll go first. I'm one of the millions people placed a pre-order right after the announcement - YES the very 1st patch with "light leak"  ;D ;D issues....I have mixed feeling for Canon when I saw the price drop.

First, I'm happy for those jumped on this deal for $2749 from an AUTHORIZED DEALER with full 1 year US warranty. I would do the same - TRUST ME.

Second, this is just me - Canon allows or accepts the price drop nearly 25% on a 6 months old body....THAT IS NOT RIGHT. This is a lesson & learn for me.

Am I going to place another pre-order with Canon in the future????  am I going to continuous with Canon products??? Time will tell.

What about you? how do you feel?

Dylan

A little bit annoying, although at least I paid around $3175 not $3499 which would've been BAD. I did get the whole summer out it, just took about 7000 shots this weekend even. So I certainly made use of it during the time to which the price finally solidly plummeted. I kinda of expected it to drop by now so I sort of knew what I was doing, to an extent, although I figured it would be more like $2999 not $2750 already, which is yet another $250 lower.

I know they are business but you sure do feel like they try to cripple as much as they can just barely get away with and nickel and dime just as much as they can. I guess it sort of works for them, for a while at least, but they sort of already gave back the take the world by storm 5D2 video thing and so on and they sure do have a very restless and not terribly loyal in the slightest user base now, overall, IMO. I hear plenty of Canon users (including working pros) not always recommending newbies to go for Canon these days while say back in 2005 they'd all say get Canon.

But tech does often drop like this, cameras haven't maybe so often before, but look at computer stuff or TVs and such, the early adopter always gets hosed so you either need it now and pay or you wait.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:50:05 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
I couldn't care less. Resale value is the last thing on my mind when I buy a new body. I've shot dozens of gigs since picking up my MK3, so its more than paid for itself at this point. Not having to deal with the miserable ergonomics, AF, burst rate, and handling of my old 5DC for the last six months has been well worth the $750 I paid. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

I figure the 5D3 will be my primary body for the next 3-4 years, then be relegated to backup duty for another 2-3 years, so it will be damn near worthless by the time I'm ready to sell it anyway :)

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
This is ridiculous. So it dropped $50 across most authorized vendors in 6 months and everyone rejoices. $150 through 3rd party possibly/likely vendors with no warranty? minus well buy it on ebay with no warranty, going new for about $3,000 and buy a squaretrade warranty.

It dropped up to $750 from Adorama.
B&H has the kit at $200 below its original price, plus they'll throw $160 worth of goodies for free. Body-only just $40 below original price, but same $160 free goodies for that one too.

The D800 hasn't gone down one penny.

Yes, the 5D3 is the loser in this round, unless you absolutely don't care about price.
This doesn't mean it's a bad camera at all, just not as good as it would have to be to sell well at the price Canon set. It could become a winner if its price dropped permanently to $2750.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:35:40 AM by NormanBates »

suburbia

I'm seeing the well known UK high street shop that I bought mine from at full price of £3500 in April now advertising online discount price of £2671.99 in September (not sure what instore price is but they are a respected high street retailer and certainly not dodgy), I'm seeing other retailers with even cheaper prices.

My gut feeling is that this is a sudden big drop and indicates panic. I'm not one to care about price drops over long periods of time or a larger drop mid-life when new products start to ramp up (I had my EOS 5D for 5 years and bought close to the release date) but I now feel aggrieved at having jumped at the MKIII (I was about to go travelling and that pushed me) and I am still paying the monthly payments and I don't earn money from my camera so that may provide a different view point as a non-pro customer.

Once bitten twice shy as they say

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:57:14 AM by suburbia »

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Cameras aren't losers, they're just objects.  What we make of these things in our own minds dictates what's right and wrong for us.  I have no regrets paying top dollar when the 5DIII first came out.  As stated previously, early adopters usually do.  I would sooner get to use the item (in this case a camera) and get good use out of it rather than sit around moping and waiting for a price drop.  You have to live life until you retire, not wait until that time comes.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

suburbia

sure but a nearly a third off a price drop in 5 months? That is quite a big repositioning in my view.

There is nothing I can do about it and I have taken lots of photos with my MK III and enjoyed it more than the MK II (although its now in repairs for 4 weeks due to the joystick falling off, something that Ive never had to do with a Canon camera in 25 years)...

Just that Canon wont be able to get away with doing it too often!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:07:53 AM by suburbia »

etg9

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Cameras aren't losers, they're just objects...

Tell that to my camera. I leave it at home and tell it to look for work, go out and get a job. When I get home it's still sitting in the same place, didn't even move one bit. I suspect that some of my booze is missing but it just sits there and does nothing when I question it.

Also, I don't get all this about a price drop. I understand that there was a sweet one day sale. I understand that people are selling it for cheaper than when it came out. However, BH price today is $3464. OMGWTFBBQ!!! A whole $36 down the drain from buying the camera on day 1. Why does god hate me? If I had just put that $36 in the bank I would have made $0.29 and been able to put a down payment on a pack of gum.

I am not a pro and just bought it because I wanted to and the fact I'm trying to up my picture taking prowess. I thought that the camera I got was worth $3500 and that the specs and early tid bits sounded worth it. After using the camera I can say it does everything I want it to and I get some really great captures with it. I'm super happy and still feel it's worth it. I hope people get it for cheaper as it doesn't make my pictures any different. I'll still be really happy and maybe some friends can pick one up as well. Maybe I can get more cool backgrounds that I made myself.

If I just had $36 this would be so much better, but it's all I could do under the circumstances.

canon rumors FORUM