October 20, 2014, 07:13:13 PM

Author Topic: For those whose paid full price on 5d III, how do you feel about the price drop?  (Read 20482 times)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile

canon rumors FORUM

PabloHoneySF

Oh my God, people.  It was a one day sale on eBay from Adorama.  Many of you are supposing some grand Canon conspiracy.  I just read it as Adorama overordered and are clearing inventory for both the D600 and 6D.  It is just ONE retailer for just ONE day!  All the presuppositions about Canon's demise are silly. 

It does suck for those who paid $3500, but it seems like most of those people are professionals who appreciate the quality of the camera and use it as a work tool.  Anyone else, you thought the camera was worth that much so you paid that price for it.  Now please just go out, shoot with it and enjoy it for crissakes  :)

davidson

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
I think this price point is what Canon originally intended to sell the mk3 at. They just used a market skimming pricing strategy to capitalize on the all the hype surrounding the looong anticipated release and the willingness of the early adopters to pay the premium. but now, they either reached their target or demand has fallen off so they went to the real price that they intended. maybe they originally intended $2500 and will go lower in another few months, but that is unlikely due to the new 6d

bearbooth

I brought mine when it first came out in Hong Kong, 5d3 with 24-105 kit for around US$4400.

No regrets, I took it on our honeymoon a week later.

It replaced my 40D kit set.

the only pain now is I'm spending $$$$ buying more lens and accessories.

so far:
5d3
24-105 f4
50mm 1.4
70-200 f4 IS    (amazed)
remote transceivers for shutter and remote flash
430EX flash (from friend)
ND filters and attachments
1.4x extender Kenko
Q strap
3 camera bags (1 for travelling, 1 sling bag everyday use, 1 shoulder bag for 5d3&50mm 1.4)

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
My question is why people paid full price for 5D3.  I guess that's because they believe 3500 is right price for them.  What's going on here is many people don't think 3500 is the right price and did buy 5D3 @ full price.  Thus, Canon or dealers have to drop the price.
I didn't get the the best deal but I also got my 5D3 under 3K.  I honestly envy those people got the best price.  However, I just feel fine and happy for those people got great deal.
For me there is nothing wrong for Canon and those people paid at full price for 5D3.

I paid full price because that's the only price you could get it for at the time.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

suburbia

Cameras aren't losers, they're just objects...

Tell that to my camera. I leave it at home and tell it to look for work, go out and get a job. When I get home it's still sitting in the same place, didn't even move one bit. I suspect that some of my booze is missing but it just sits there and does nothing when I question it.

sure, funny take on hysterics when there isn't any, but yeah you are ignoring a more than a 25% drop  in the retail price within 5 months in the UK as shown by a respected high street retailer that tends toward the higher end of pricing not some internet cowboy outfit or ebay.

Such a sudden drop is not a normal way to handle a high end product and shows problems with the original price point and Canon will not be able to mis-position a new release too often in future with out getting a bad name for itself.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:02:18 PM by suburbia »

Tammy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
This is ridiculous. So it dropped $50 across most authorized vendors in 6 months and everyone rejoices. $150 through 3rd party possibly/likely vendors with no warranty? minus well buy it on ebay with no warranty, going new for about $3,000 and buy a squaretrade warranty.

I've enjoyed my 5D3 and the higher quality photos and the advanced performance it has delivered for me in 6 months over my 5D2. I wouldn't have waited 6 months for $50. I did jump on that Adorama stock clearance though and will sell it for profit. =)

I think you have some mistakes.  Adorama is a Canon authorized dealer and the price is 2749, $750USD different.  Two weeks ago Beach Camera another Canon authorized dealer offered 2800, $700USD different.  5D3 price from many authorized dealers are around 3K nowadays.  You can see deals under 3K easily.
You may not care about the 5D3 market now, so you don't know what's going on for 5D3 market.  However, your post will give people wrong information.

I didn't make a mistake, most is still most. It was the proper english vocabulary word to use. Two is nowhere near most. And basically those two had a limited time sale.

Please post links to the many authorized dealers at $3,000 or even better the ones that can be found EASILY under $3,000. I sure couldn't find them when I looked last week. If this were in fact true, no one would need to complain about the price of the 5D3. As of last week auctions on ebay for new gray market 5D3's without warranty would close at around $2,900+ shipping. I don't see any point in bidding on gray market cameras on ebay when one could easily purchase from a reputable store for less with warranty. So please help out all those who want a 5D3 by guiding them to these vendors.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:07:08 PM by Tammy »
5D Mk III - 24-70L Mk II - 24L Mk II - 100L - 135L - 50mm F/1.4

canon rumors FORUM

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
Oh my God, people.  It was a one day sale on eBay from Adorama.  Many of you are supposing some grand Canon conspiracy.  I just read it as Adorama overordered and are clearing inventory for both the D600 and 6D.  It is just ONE retailer for just ONE day!  All the presuppositions about Canon's demise are silly. 

I have tried to point this out to people in this thread several times (as have others).  It's funny how that goes and rather telling --- all these people continuing to reply to this post, no matter how many point out the fact that it was a ---1 day sale --- people read the OP and I guess they assume he works for canon or something because they believe it without question.  What it really shows me is these people are not in the market for a FF camera, much less a 5d3 because if you were you'd be paying attention to what the prices are!!!!!  Are deals gonna pop up?  You bethca!  Sandisk just had a great instant rebate offer on CF cards, does that mean SAndisk is in trouble?  No, it just means they had a sale.  Business's do that when they want to spark sales, or like this poster said, over ordered, or ----just simply want to make room for the lesser priced items (like the d600 and 6d). 
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

suburbia

I have tried to point this out to people in this thread several times (as have others).  It's funny how that goes and rather telling ---
[/quote]

right so what do you say of the widespread more than 25% drop in retail price within 5 months in the UK then?

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
I think this price point is what Canon originally intended to sell the mk3 at. They just used a market skimming pricing strategy to capitalize on the all the hype surrounding the looong anticipated release and the willingness of the early adopters to pay the premium. but now, they either reached their target or demand has fallen off so they went to the real price that they intended. maybe they originally intended $2500 and will go lower in another few months, but that is unlikely due to the new 6d

I think you want to see what you want to see - despite the point that the $2750 price tag was a one day sale!!!!

the actual price is still the same ---evidence is here

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847545-REG/Canon_5260A002_EOS_5D_Mark_III.html - $3459

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+EOS+5D+Mark+III+22.3-Megapixel+Digital+SLR+Camera+-+Black/4839357.p;jsessionid=5E1F43A943729C91C917791B32D184C4.bbolsp-app01-57?id=1218541224336&skuId=4839357&st=Canon%205D%20Mark%20III&cp=1&lp=1 - $3459

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Frame-Full-HD-Digital-Camera/dp/B007FGYZFI $3459

http://www.adorama.com/ICA5DM3.html  $3459

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii  $3499

http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/product/canon_eos_5d_mark_iii_22_3megapixel_dslr_body/ec2710  $3499

seeing a pattern here?????  of course the longer a product is on the market the longer stores have to make some crazy deals --- and the more time its on the market the more time consumers have to search for these crazy deals.  But the price is what it is ---and thats what it started at --- $3500..many had the good old $40 rebate, and yeah many had the a bigger rebate if you bought the camera with a printer.    But fact is...the atual price has not dropped!

what I also find funny is how the countless posts of people pleased with their purchase have praised the camera, and were very pleased with the purchase and don't really care about pricing politics because they've either already made their money back and then some or have preserved memories that are precious to them with the camera...
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile

I have tried to point this out to people in this thread several times (as have others).  It's funny how that goes and rather telling ---

right so what do you say of the widespread more than 25% drop in retail price within 5 months in the UK then?
[/quote]

I don't live in the UK, so I don't know what the UK is doing ---I do know that the canon official site lists the MSRP at $3500 --- and major retailers also list it at $3500 (or $3449 with rebate)

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
I personally don't mind it... I used the camera for a paid shoot that required me to shoot at ISO 6400 and 12,800... The came out wonderful. I got paid $700 for the job so it more than paid itself by buying it when I did.

I will be using it in December at another paid shoot for the same company, for another $800 or so. So thankfully getting some income offsets the fact the price is dropping on it for me  ;D

mirekti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile

The fact is many still consider this price to be too high.
For example one could get it from authorized dealer from ebay for US $3,119.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black-Body-Only-Brand-New-USA-/190727271180?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item2c683b330c
There were only two, but the one which is not sold is been there for some time already.

...and this is a $380 price drop from the initally annouced one.
M240 | 35mm FLE | 75mm Cron | 135mm APO

canon rumors FORUM

cliffwang

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
This is ridiculous. So it dropped $50 across most authorized vendors in 6 months and everyone rejoices. $150 through 3rd party possibly/likely vendors with no warranty? minus well buy it on ebay with no warranty, going new for about $3,000 and buy a squaretrade warranty.

I've enjoyed my 5D3 and the higher quality photos and the advanced performance it has delivered for me in 6 months over my 5D2. I wouldn't have waited 6 months for $50. I did jump on that Adorama stock clearance though and will sell it for profit. =)

I think you have some mistakes.  Adorama is a Canon authorized dealer and the price is 2749, $750USD different.  Two weeks ago Beach Camera another Canon authorized dealer offered 2800, $700USD different.  5D3 price from many authorized dealers are around 3K nowadays.  You can see deals under 3K easily.
You may not care about the 5D3 market now, so you don't know what's going on for 5D3 market.  However, your post will give people wrong information.

I didn't make a mistake, most is still most. It was the proper english vocabulary word to use. Two is nowhere near most. And basically those two had a limited time sale.

Please post links to the many authorized dealers at $3,000 or even better the ones that can be found EASILY under $3,000. I sure couldn't find them when I looked last week. If this were in fact true, no one would need to complain about the price of the 5D3. As of last week auctions on ebay for new gray market 5D3's without warranty would close at around $2,900+ shipping. I don't see any point in bidding on gray market cameras on ebay when one could easily purchase from a reputable store for less with warranty. So please help out all those who want a 5D3 by guiding them to these vendors.

Just FYI

http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?forumchoice%5B%5D=4&forumchoice%5B%5D=9&forumchoice%5B%5D=10&forumchoice%5B%5D=13&forumchoice%5B%5D=25&forumchoice%5B%5D=30&forumchoice%5B%5D=38&forumchoice%5B%5D=39&forumchoice%5B%5D=41&forumchoice%5B%5D=44&forumchoice%5B%5D=53&forumchoice%5B%5D=54&q=Canon+Mark+III&showposts=0&archive=0&firstonly=1

Few deals for 5D3 body only are under 3K.  Many great combo deals.  I got my combo deal and sold 24-105mm / 600EX-RT.  My cost for 5D3 + 32GB CF card is 2900.  Many people did same thing.  Check those posts.

By the way, you don't need to waste your time to give a list of those OFFICAL 5D3 product webpages of authorized dealers.  That's not the channel people get deals for 5D3.  Check those deal sharing websites.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:45:58 PM by cliffwang »
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

psolberg

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
when you can have a D800 for less, I don't know why the price after drop wasn't the MSRP to begin with.

canon rumors FORUM