September 02, 2014, 03:42:57 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs  (Read 65536 times)

Ryan_W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs
« Reply #315 on: September 17, 2012, 02:54:38 PM »
This from Engadgethttp://www.engadget.com/2012/09/17/canon-eos-6d-hands-on/:

What really blew us away, though, is the new camera's size and weight. It's more compact than the 5D and even the 7D, an APS-C camera, weighing in at 690 grams -- a 20-percent decrease from that larger pro model. 20 percent may not sound like a tremendous improvement, but it's certainly noticeable, boosting the 6D's versatility, and making it an ideal choice for street and travel photography.

This is what I'm talking about. Ever carry a gripped 5dMkIII w/ bright glass on a four mile round trip hike through a city following a protest?

How about three so you can cover the whole focal range?

How about three with bright lenses and a six foot stepladder

I will be sufficiently able to overcome the loss of AF points by regaining the use of the muscles in both hands.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #315 on: September 17, 2012, 02:54:38 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #316 on: September 17, 2012, 02:56:37 PM »
It seems the 6D can be controlled by an Android or Iphone. That's pretty cool! People will make timelapps

... for timelapses just install magic lantern, done - should drain less battery than constant wifi control btw.

kukhuvud

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Shot By Norm
« Reply #317 on: September 17, 2012, 02:57:53 PM »
Count in in with the people who will buy this as a backup one it drops below $1500US.  Otherwise, I'm happy with my 5D3 with 7D as backup.
Bodies: 5D III, 7D
Glass: EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM

enraginangel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 17, 2012, 02:59:48 PM »
I think what the 6D does is make the 5D Mark III more palatable for customers to buy. People balk at the features of the 6D and now the 5D Mark III doesn't look so bad. Give 6 months for people to trash the 6D and then Canon will introduce an even crappier camera to make the 6D look good by comparison. Canon is playing mind games with everyone.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #319 on: September 17, 2012, 03:11:26 PM »
People balk at the features of the 6D and now the 5D Mark III doesn't look so bad.

High praise for the 5d3 indeed :-> ... but I fear you're correct, and the 5d3 price will stay just below $3000 for quite some time because Canon made sure the 6d is no "mini-5d3" but a high iq tourist camera.

Count in in with the people who will buy this as a backup one it drops below $1500US.

Some people might use it as a 2nd camera with a fast prime mounted and an exchangeable focus screen.

Ryan_W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 17, 2012, 03:15:42 PM »
People balk at the features of the 6D and now the 5D Mark III doesn't look so bad.

High praise for the 5d3 indeed :-> ... but I fear you're correct, and the 5d3 price will stay just below $3000 for quite some time because Canon made sure the 6d is no "mini-5d3" but a high iq tourist camera.

Count in in with the people who will buy this as a backup one it drops below $1500US.

Some people might use it as a 2nd camera with a fast prime mounted and an exchangeable focus screen.

Alternatively I'm thinking of building a featherweight street shooter by pairing the 6D with the 40mm STM.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 17, 2012, 03:33:18 PM »
A thought I just had: There seems to be a lot of concern on this post as to who will buy this camera. That this camera won't sell well. And my response to this is.... Who cares? I would be totally fine if this camera only sells 1 unit worldwide (and that would be to me of course...). We should really be less concerned with Canon's sales numbers and more concerned with our own creative output.

Well... the simple and obvious answer to your question is that the people who are discussing it care.  They may care for their own personal reasons or simply personal interest in such things.  If you don't care then the posts don't concern you and you can choose to discuss other matters.

The more in depth reason is that this is a Canon gear site and it's full of people who care about Canon gear and all the intricacies of Canon's gear line up.   They are interested in discussing a wide range of topics with like-minded people and value those discussions.   Some people here work in the retail photography business and care deeply that Canon introduces products that will sell well and be commercially successful.

For my part, one area of my profession is market and product analysis and forecasting...  I look at new products that are pitched to me and assess whether such a product will have mass appeal and be commercially successful.  I'm also a camera gear-head so I enjoy these conversations, they are instructive to me.  I'm also and investor and make investment decisions based on the direction I think large companies are going and that as well means it's valuable and interesting to dig deep into what drives consumer acceptance of product releases and whether a company like Canon still has it's wits about them or is struggling with product development that will have mass appeal or if they will start to lose market share over a 12-36 month investment horizon.

As Canon customers it's in our interests (to a degree) to hope Canon is commercially successful with their photography gear because it means they will continue to be profitable and develop new and better photography gear for us to buy, use, and talk about with our fellow photographers.

If you don't care about such things, don't respond.  If you do respond your input is valued and desired, I would appreciate it and learn from what you have to say.  You are one person and in the grand scheme of things your purchase decision doesn't matter and nor does mine.  But the overall market forces do matter to product development.

Ok?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #321 on: September 17, 2012, 03:33:18 PM »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 17, 2012, 03:40:24 PM »

As Canon customers it's in our interests (to a degree) to hope Canon is commercially successful with their photography gear because it means they will continue to be profitable and develop new and better photography gear for us to buy, use, and talk about with our fellow photographers.

This is a myth.

If Canon puts crappy or overpriced products on the market and they sell well all the same, this is exactly what they will keep doing. As a Canon user you should only hope that they get their ass kicked so badly to never do that again.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 17, 2012, 03:42:05 PM »

This is a myth.

If Canon puts crappy or overpriced products on the market and they sell well all the same, this is exactly what they will keep doing. As a Canon user you should only hope that they get their ass kicked so badly to never do that again.

yep canon needs to get the ass kicked badly so they produce GREAT cameras not good enough cameras again.
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 17, 2012, 03:56:13 PM »

This is a myth.

yep canon needs to get the ass kicked badly so they produce GREAT cameras not good enough cameras again.

They do.  They are the 1DX and 5D3... everything below those in the line will be "lesser cameras for a lower price".  If what you're trying to say is that Canon should make a GREAT camera at every price point well that is subjective and certainly they won't shoehorn a 1DX into a cheaper body just so everyone can get one at a lower price.  If what you're trying to say is Canon should make a variety of gear that meet specific market needs at price points that makes sense for the intended use and market segment then you are right.  And that is the question, is the 6D with it's list of attributes, which are neither good or bad in absolute terms, a body that will be address a decent size market segment and at what price will it sell at...  in my view I think it's too expensive as a next level up from a top end Rebel (since most Rebel users don't know and don't care about sensor size) and too hobbled to be of interest to enthusiasts and pros.   But this could be wrong... there could be 50,000 enthusiasts out there that are lusting after a FF body and will sacrifice other features.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 17, 2012, 04:00:15 PM »
They do.  They are the 1DX and 5D3... everything below those in the line will be "lesser cameras for a lower price". 

the answer is NIKON... more camera for less money at the moment.
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 17, 2012, 04:00:50 PM »
How much is a good price? You only understand it by comparison with the competitors. In this respect I think that both the 5D3 and the 6D are at least 500$ overpriced. Next comes the question: do I want to buy it even knowing that I'm paying more than I should? In my case the answer is no.

mirekti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 17, 2012, 04:01:59 PM »
How much is a good price? You only understand it by comparison with the competitors. In this respect I think that both the 5D3 and the 6D are at least 500$ overpriced. Next comes the question: do I want to buy it even knowing that I'm paying more than I should? In my case the answer is no.

Agree!!!
M240 | 35mm FLE | 75mm Cron | 135mm APO

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #327 on: September 17, 2012, 04:01:59 PM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #328 on: September 17, 2012, 04:02:45 PM »
They do.  They are the 1DX and 5D3... everything below those in the line will be "lesser cameras for a lower price".

The problem is that they cripple the "lesser cameras" so that they're not complete packages, but lack certain important features that force users who can cough up to money to "upgrade": no afma on the 60d (worse than 50d, solution 7d upgrade), no cross point af on the 6d @f2.8+ (worse than 5d2, solution 5d3 upgrade), let's see what's next.

do I want to buy it even knowing that I'm paying more than I should?

The next question is: If I am paying more than I should, am I prepared for the 6d to drop $500 in price in no time?

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 17, 2012, 04:06:57 PM »

This is a myth.

Not sure what you mean by "myth" I don't think my statement is some kind of widely held but false belief.   But you're right, if Canon puts out a product and it sells well they will take that as a market signal that they are on the right track and they would be correct in that assessment.   If they put out a product and it doesn't sell they will lose money on it and hopefully try a different design next time.   It doesn't even have to be an issue of whether the product is great or crappy... only whether it sells well... sometimes products are technically great but don't have mass market appeal.  Sometimes crappy products are big winners.

I frankly don't have a strong opinion as to whether the 6D is a great or crappy camera.  That is matter of personal preference.  There is no question this body will appeal to some people and they will think it's great.  Other people, will not be interested because it doesn't meet their needs or is not worth $2k to them.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:20:16 PM by Meh »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #329 on: September 17, 2012, 04:06:57 PM »