December 19, 2014, 01:54:35 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs  (Read 70783 times)

Alski

Re: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2012, 10:32:08 PM »
Hopefully the one saving specification the Canon could have at this point might ironically be the 11 point AF system... wait, I know what your thinking, hear me out...

From what we've seen of both Nikon's and Sony's offerings, they're using AF modules borrowed from their APS-C cameras, meaning they occupy a tiny little fraction of the frame, all clustered into the centre. Aside from subject tracking, which these cameras are not made for, and which the Sony will (based on specs alone) probably only marginally excel at, having all the AF points in the centre is a nightmare for all sorts of photographers who would like this as a secondary body, and for those people as basic as an 11 point AF seems, its better than a "19+109 point" that covers a fraction of the frame.

Here's hoping that Canon manage to bring out the only entry level FF with FF AF.

AF systems are basically the same size for APS_C or APS-H or FF so not sure what you mean buy that....

mmm.... are you sure? I was very much under the impression that AF area was linked to prism size which is linked to sensor size.

Look at the AF area coverage of the D600 here : http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=42484333

And the Sony A99 here: http://4.static.img-dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-slt-a99/images/screens/AF-Range.jpg?v=1581

Both, but particularly the Sony are tiny compared to the frame coverage of any of the 5D's.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2012, 10:32:08 PM »

EvillEmperor

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2012, 10:34:53 PM »
While it seems cool, I'm going to still save up for a MK III. More fps, more AF, and there are probably other advantages. Canon likes to experiment on the older cameras then apply to new.
Where is this official? I see no source.
Canon 5D MK III, Canon T2i, Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS, Canon 24-105, Canon 100 macro, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 430EX II, Canon 28-135mm (sold)

Woody

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2012, 10:36:18 PM »
I am wondering what makes Canon think anyone will buy this camera when there's a similarly priced Nikon D600 that has far better specs than the 6D?

Maybe this 20 MP FF sensor offers 15 stops of dynamic range at ISO 100, and its ISO 6400 is as clean as ISO 400 on the 5D3?  :P

Obviously, Canon management needs a major shake-up.

hmmm

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2012, 10:36:49 PM »
I totally agree!! unless they came up with a revolutionary sensor  8)

+1   That is the only thing that can save this spec, imho.

mitchell3417

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Mitchell Bennnett Photography
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2012, 10:38:05 PM »
If it were to have 11 cross-point sensors I would seriously consider buying it. Assuming it doesn't, 5DIII is only upgrade from my 5DII. That's a real shame to me. I can't believe they cripple the autofucus once again. The 60D, 50D, and 650D all have better AF. Why?
I enjoy taking pictures!!!
flickr  MB Photo

extremeinstability

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Instability.com
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2012, 10:42:53 PM »
Auto, 100 - 25600 in 1/3 stops, plus 50, 51200, 102400 as option

Guess that aspect is a clear upgrade to the 5D II.  As I look to go full frame without a focusing desire or frame rate, this kinda works for me. 

Compared to 5D II  Auto, 100 - 6400 in 1/3 stops, plus 50, 12800, 25600 as option

So I presume the sensor performance will be as good as the 5D III.  Is the D600 sensor going to be any better?  What I saw of images it didn't scream that it would be. 

I really want a 24mm F1.4L now on whatever full frame I get.  The problem is it doesn't look like I want that to be the Nikon version.  And given I already have a 100-400L.  I guess I'm going to wind up in the 'dumb group' that would pick the 6D over the D600.  Hmmm.  And if there's at least that difference in sensor high ISO ability to the 5D II I guess I don't want to really bother with that now either.  But holy crap do I want something right now though.  Sigh. 

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2012, 10:43:45 PM »
This is borderline insulting.
When the 5DII came out 4 years ago, the AF was underwhelming.... now they announce a FF camera over 2000 dollars with ANOTHER 11 point AF?
I was waiting for this camera to upgrade from my 5D Classic. I would've bought a 5DII a long time ago, but i wanted better AF.
EVERYONE has been saying to just put something similar to the AF of the 7D in the 6D and make it FF and that would be cool....
Then they deliver ANOTHER 11PT AF?
ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???????
From my perspective, everything Canon has released in the past couple of years has either been overpriced(mainly 24-70, 24mm, 28mm lenses, and 5DIII(should've been 3000 off the bat)) or just completely uninteresting/seemingly inferior to Nikon..
The only things about this camera that i see as an obvious upgrade from my 5D Classic from 2005 are the GPS, the size(i like smaller, 5DC is a brick), and the screen on the back......
of course the sensor and ISO are better, but they should be!!!
If this camera was 1200 dollars i'd consider it instead of the D600.....
but with these specs and price, THIS IS A JOKE......
It's not even close.
Go ahead and flame away on me, but if you think this camera is better than the D600(especially after the D800 sensor trounced the 5DIII in tests,) then you are obviously smoking what Canon wants you to be smoking.
This is borderline insulting to Canon users and people heavily invested in the system.
i'll wait for some tests on the D600 to consider buying it, i may still get the D800, 5DIII or RX1, but I won't even consider this camera, and this should be exactly what I was waiting for(a 5DII with 7D AF.)

DSLR's are a dying breed, I'm really getting more interested in lightening my bag(I travel a lot, hike, etc.) and it seems that Canon only wants to hasten their demise by offering underwhelming, un-innovative products at exorbitant prices.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2012, 10:43:45 PM »

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2012, 10:44:32 PM »
This camera is obviously the 'budget FF' - probably for the enthusiast wanting a FF for landscapes... or occasional studio / macro. I don't see anything wrong with that... as I expect that in a number of months time - some resellers will be selling the 6D at around $1800.

I, for one - do find the 5D and 5DmkII AF systems annoyingly clustered at the centre - and therefore not as useful an AF system as I like. But then again, for landscape I nearly often centre point anyway. However as my main camera is a 7D, that 19 pt AF system really performs strongly (both in placement and in AF responsiveness, etc). I hope the 11 pts are well positioned (ie spaced out a bit). This camera is not a fast camera, so there is little need to have multiple AF pts near each other anyway....

What I do find interesting - is that there are now 3 different Canon FF sensors: 5DmkIII (24MP), 6D (20MP) and 1DX (18MP).  If the latest one to be released - that is, if the 6D's sensor - has good qualities (low noise, recoverable shadows / highlights - and minimal banding issues) at low ISO and performs well at high ISO, that could be very much a winner for some people.  8)

While I'm not planning to move to a FF at this stage - I will follow the Canon development, and see what 6D features trickles through to other lines.  My most likely upgrade will be to a Canon 7DmkII at some stage in the future (if this beast is ever released!) I do love my 7D for reach with my 70-300mm L zoom, the great walk-around combination with the Canon 15-85mm lens and my 10-20mm Sigma EX for ultrawide!

Looking forward to the reviews... hopefully the AF and sensor will be strong.  ;)

Regards....

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

DB

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2012, 10:46:18 PM »
I am wondering what makes Canon think anyone will buy this camera when there's a similarly priced Nikon D600 that has far better specs than the 6D?

Maybe this 20 MP FF sensor offers 15 stops of dynamic range at ISO 100, and its ISO 6400 is as clean as ISO 400 on the 5D3?  :P

Obviously, Canon management needs a major shake-up.

Why?

They're in business to make money. The EOS 6D will be one of their best selling prosumer DSLR's. It will outsell the 7D. It has everything that a Rebel owner wants in an upgrade.

The pixel density @ 6.6 microns exceeds that of the new 5D3 (@6.25 microns) and assuming that the quantum efficiency of this new sensor is as good as that of the other new FF sensors, coupled with similar algorithms, AA-filter and A/D converter, the read noise will be very low (just like 1DX and 5D3). The boost in ISO performance, increased DR and improved speed from the DIGIC5+ processor for a camera owner upgrading from a xxD or xxD body is tantamount to a PC owner upgrading from an Intel Celeron processor to a quad-core i7. This product is a major upgrade for a crop-sensor camera owner.

For those who want the additional features of the 5D3, then they'll pay the extra 600 to 700 bucks.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:49:35 PM by DB »

baronng

« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2012, 10:47:09 PM »
D600 is equipped with Sony's 24M sensor; DR will be much better than Canon's sensor for sure!
I have no idea what Canon is thinking, I'm going to sell my 7D and L glasses

Auto, 100 - 25600 in 1/3 stops, plus 50, 51200, 102400 as option

Guess that aspect is a clear upgrade to the 5D II.  As I look to go full frame without a focusing desire or frame rate, this kinda works for me. 

Compared to 5D II  Auto, 100 - 6400 in 1/3 stops, plus 50, 12800, 25600 as option

So I presume the sensor performance will be as good as the 5D III.  Is the D600 sensor going to be any better?  What I saw of images it didn't scream that it would be. 

I really want a 24mm F1.4L now on whatever full frame I get.  The problem is it doesn't look like I want that to be the Nikon version.  And given I already have a 100-400L.  I guess I'm going to wind up in the 'dumb group' that would pick the 6D over the D600.  Hmmm.  And if there's at least that difference in sensor high ISO ability to the 5D II I guess I don't want to really bother with that now either.  But holy crap do I want something right now though.  Sigh.

frogwise

« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2012, 10:47:29 PM »
Is anyone else worried about the 102,400 Screen Dot resolution of the screen, when most new Canons have over 1 million? Is this a typo?

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2012, 10:47:59 PM »
What is the point of this camera?

To show that Canon can deliver a cheap-n-nasty FF DSLR?

Exactly!  I've been saying this in another thread.   Who exactly is this body targeted towards?   Working pros?  Not a chance.   A step up from a high-end Rebel... I don't think so the price gap is too big (if it is $2099).   An upgrade from a 7D... forget it the 7D is better all around performance for action (i.e. the main reason to get a 7D over 60D).

Is there actually a market for a $2k FF body that sacrifices everything else?

mitch.o

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2012, 10:51:13 PM »
I think we should withhold judgement until we see IQ and noise control from this 20.2 megapixel sensor. Because in the end, isn't that what really matters?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2012, 10:51:13 PM »

DB

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2012, 10:55:58 PM »
I think we should withhold judgement until we see IQ and noise control from this 20.2 megapixel sensor. Because in the end, isn't that what really matters?

..precisely, plus at least 50% of the potential buyers of this camera will use it to shoot mainly video

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2012, 10:56:43 PM »
...  Who exactly is this body targeted towards?   Working pros?  Not a chance.   A step up from a high-end Rebel... I don't think so the price gap is too big (if it is $2099).   An upgrade from a 7D... forget it the 7D is better all around performance for action (i.e. the main reason to get a 7D over 60D).

Is there actually a market for a $2k FF body that sacrifices everything else?

Confused just the same.  I guess it must be the "Best Buy" type crowd where the salesperson can show off how "cool" the touchy screen is and then transmit a jpg wirelessly to a nearby laptop.  "Oooo this one's cool Martha"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2012, 10:56:43 PM »