April 20, 2014, 08:28:58 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs  (Read 58713 times)

ageha

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2012, 10:57:11 PM »
Looks like the formatting of CRguy's post is still a work in progress, but... is that 5D2 AF?  Again?  Even the Rebels get better AF these days...
No, it is some new 11 point system.  I don't know why they didn't use a more expansive system, or even rehashed one of the older 1D series 45pt system.  Only one cross-type point is pretty much unacceptable.
I agree. :(

Hopefully the one saving specification the Canon could have at this point might ironically be the 11 point AF system... wait, I know what your thinking, hear me out...

From what we've seen of both Nikon's and Sony's offerings, they're using AF modules borrowed from their APS-C cameras, meaning they occupy a tiny little fraction of the frame, all clustered into the centre. Aside from subject tracking, which these cameras are not made for, and which the Sony will (based on specs alone) probably only marginally excel at, having all the AF points in the centre is a nightmare for all sorts of photographers who would like this as a secondary body, and for those people as basic as an 11 point AF seems, its better than a "19+109 point" that covers a fraction of the frame.

Here's hoping that Canon manage to bring out the only entry level FF with FF AF.

I think you need to get yourself more familiar with PDAF sensors, mate. ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:01:14 PM by ageha »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2012, 10:57:11 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2012, 10:57:47 PM »
Hopefully the one saving specification the Canon could have at this point might ironically be the 11 point AF system... wait, I know what your thinking, hear me out...

From what we've seen of both Nikon's and Sony's offerings, they're using AF modules borrowed from their APS-C cameras, meaning they occupy a tiny little fraction of the frame, all clustered into the centre. Aside from subject tracking, which these cameras are not made for, and which the Sony will (based on specs alone) probably only marginally excel at, having all the AF points in the centre is a nightmare for all sorts of photographers who would like this as a secondary body, and for those people as basic as an 11 point AF seems, its better than a "19+109 point" that covers a fraction of the frame.

Here's hoping that Canon manage to bring out the only entry level FF with FF AF.

AF systems are basically the same size for APS_C or APS-H or FF so not sure what you mean buy that....

mmm.... are you sure? I was very much under the impression that AF area was linked to prism size which is linked to sensor size.

Look at the AF area coverage of the D600 here : http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=42484333

And the Sony A99 here: http://4.static.img-dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-slt-a99/images/screens/AF-Range.jpg?v=1581

Both, but particularly the Sony are tiny compared to the frame coverage of any of the 5D's.

look inside a 5D2 and then look inside a 50D and you'll see the AF sensor is basically the same size, the AF sub mirror is way smaller than the main mirror on the 5D2 and only moderately smaller than the main mirror on the 50D. They are limited by the angle they can collect light from the 35mm mount lens and still work well. Also notice how the APS-C AF points tend to appear much, much closer to the edges than they do on the 5D2, because it's basically the same size AF system so it covers more of the APS-C sensor than the FF sensor area.

Maybe it is 11 cross type and 1 super precision type and 6 central assists or even 3 pairs of 6 assists???

mitch.o

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2012, 10:58:38 PM »
I think we should withhold judgement until we see IQ and noise control from this 20.2 megapixel sensor. Because in the end, isn't that what really matters?

..precisely, plus at least 50% of the potential buyers of this camera will use it to shoot mainly video

Or (as in my case) to shoot portraits and landscapes (NOT sports or action).

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2012, 10:58:51 PM »
I totally agree!! unless they came up with a revolutionary sensor  8)

+1   That is the only thing that can save this spec, imho.

yeah but then it's like why the heck did you save the good sensor for the 6D and put in the old tech for the 5D3 (And 1DX)??? wth

Ryan_W

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2012, 11:00:58 PM »
What I would have liked:

pop up flash

No built-in flash? Why?

Hopefully, that's the price to pay for a bright, quiet, 5D3-style pentaprism viewfinder with silent mode. The XXXD series use pentamirrors, which are significantly dimmer, and can make accurate focusing difficult under fast action.

Further, with f/2.8 lenses at $200 and under, and usable ISO at 12,800, there's no good reason to use a pop-up flash anymore.

What concerns me is the 97% and not 100% coverage. I can only hope it was an effort to trim weight. Anyone who has shot for an extended period of time with a gripped 5D3 knows that they are intolerably heavy, especially with bright glass.  If this thing is lightweight, I'll forgive the 3% loss of area very quickly. 

If it's some kind of hybrid that's as noisy as a pentamirror, however, it belongs in the trash.

Other thoughts:
The AF concerns me, but I'll wait and see. An 11 point AF is 10 more than I use 99% of the time. If they use the new AF software system in the newer bodies like the 5D3, they might be able to get away with it, especially if the coverage is fairly large.

When I shoot with our 5D3 at work, I use center point, or I cluster the AF points into zones and use the thumb stick to choose on the fly. I tell my camera where to focus, not vice versa. If this little guy has the same style AF, I can't see the difference, but if it's lightweight and lets me auto-upload files via WIFI to a macbook air for filing with my editor, I most certainly will.

This seems to be a camera built for street shooting. Two years ago, I bought a t2i to have something I could afford to break that was light enough to carry around 100% of the time when I'm not shooting for work. My biggest problem with it is the dim viewfinder and creaky shutter noise. If the 6D eliminates that without adding too much weight, it'll be my new carryaround.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:15:30 PM by Ryan_W »

extremeinstability

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Instability.com
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2012, 11:01:26 PM »
D600 is equipped with Sony's 24M sensor; DR will be much better than Canon's sensor for sure!
I have no idea what Canon is thinking, I'm going to sell my 7D and L glasses

Yeah that is what I fear.  If Nikon had the winning 24mm F1.4 this would be easy to me now.  If Canon got the 5D III down to that $2750 price earlier, it'd probably be as easy again(enough bonuses I'd forget the DR/read noise deal).  It's pretty annoying at the moment trying to figure out which route.  Maybe there will be a surprise in the Canon DR and read noise deal.  I can't see them having had time to see what the D800 sensor was doing before the sensor for this was being made though, so I really really doubt it performs like that in those areas.  I can live without it though, however it's so tempting to switch.  If only the lens aspect wasn't a bit of a pain in the butt then.  But for someone thinking the 5D II was the best and only FF route for around $2000 within the past week, while staying Canon, this doesn't sound so terrible with the ISO boost to the 5D III level.  Sounds good.  D600 just trying to put on some blinders, potentially. 

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2012, 11:01:39 PM »
I think we should withhold judgement until we see IQ and noise control from this 20.2 megapixel sensor. Because in the end, isn't that what really matters?

yeah but it will be tough to beat the D600 if the D600 is exmor and if it does come close then what the heck were they thinking saving their best tech for the 6D and putting old tech in the king pin 5D3 and 1DX???

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2012, 11:01:39 PM »

cptobvious

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2012, 11:03:42 PM »
I'm looking forward to this, but for other reasons:

-Means 5D2 is going to be discontinued - perhaps there'll be a chance to snag one for <$1500 new or <$1300 refurbished come holiday season

-Canon and Nikon doing battle in the entry-level FF market = win for consumers.  Sony and Pentax will probably follow suit and in a couple of years FF may be selling in the $1000-1500 price range

I've decided to stick with a 5D classic until things shake out a bit more.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2012, 11:05:21 PM »

Let's say it's stellar IQ... as good as the 5D3 (it won't be better, Canon's not going to put their best in a 6D and second best in the 5D3).   Then so what?  It's a great sensor in a hobbled body for $2k... who's buying it?

The price gap is too large to entice an average consumer up from the Rebel line.  And the features are not up to spec for working pros.   There is no question that it's an entry level FF... but what are the features (other than the sensor) that make this better than a 60D?  And if the only benefit over a 60D is the sensor... then how many customers are going to pay that much more for a FF sensor when the vast majority of Rebel customers don't even know the difference.

Guy walks into Best Buy to buy a Canon DSLR.   Salesperson shows him a 60D for $900 and a 6D for $2000.  Same body and specs but 6D is FF... what's the customer going to buy?  Is the salesperson going to be able to explain the benefits of FF... many of the salespeople probably don't even know themselves.

Sure there are many folks on CR reading this right now salivating that they can get a FF camera for $2k.... but nobody on here is an average consumer... we are all camera enthusiasts reading up daily on how great FF is... so the person this is targeted for is a person that is lusting after FF, is unwilling/unable to pay $3500 for a 5D3, and doesn't need the AF and speed of a 7D.  How big is that market?

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2012, 11:09:27 PM »
AFMA?

ageha

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2012, 11:10:15 PM »
Is anyone else worried about the 102,400 Screen Dot resolution of the screen, when most new Canons have over 1 million? Is this a typo?
Nobody is worried about it because it's a typo obviously. Jeez...

ageha

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2012, 11:16:19 PM »

AF systems are basically the same size for APS_C or APS-H or FF so not sure what you mean buy that....

mmm.... are you sure? I was very much under the impression that AF area was linked to prism size which is linked to sensor size.

Look at the AF area coverage of the D600 here : http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=42484333

And the Sony A99 here: http://4.static.img-dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-slt-a99/images/screens/AF-Range.jpg?v=1581

Both, but particularly the Sony are tiny compared to the frame coverage of any of the 5D's.

No.

Ryan_W

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2012, 11:18:50 PM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2012, 11:18:50 PM »

DianeK

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2012, 11:20:20 PM »
AFMA?
Hmmm, no mention of AFMA in the specs...yet another (canon)ball dropped  ???

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2012, 11:20:53 PM »
AFMA?

AutoFocus Micro Adjustment. It lets you tune the focus on lenses. http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html

Thanks Ryan... but I was asking if the 6D had it not what it is.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2012, 11:20:53 PM »