October 21, 2014, 10:35:24 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs  (Read 67423 times)

DianeK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs
« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2012, 01:42:41 AM »
I said in an earlier post that is very possible that canon will discontinue the 7D series due to the new 6D FF camera.

With those specs i really believe that we will see a 7D2 in the near future ( 1 or 2 Q 2013).
I'm betting not.  Why would they have gone to all the trouble with the firmware upgrade, and then fix that upgrade's bug if they were just going to replace it with a 7D2 soon?  No, I think we will be waiting quite a while for that refresh to happen  :(.  The only real short-coming the 7D has is the sensor and I just have a feeling that Canon is really struggling in it's R&D for a better sensor for its top of the line crop body and they bought themselves more time with the firmware upgrade.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2012, 01:42:41 AM »

Tcapp

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #151 on: September 17, 2012, 01:50:14 AM »
I said in an earlier post that is very possible that canon will discontinue the 7D series due to the new 6D FF camera.

With those specs i really believe that we will see a 7D2 in the near future ( 1 or 2 Q 2013).
I'm betting not.  Why would they have gone to all the trouble with the firmware upgrade, and then fix that upgrade's bug if they were just going to replace it with a 7D2 soon?  No, I think we will be waiting quite a while for that refresh to happen  :(.  The only real short-coming the 7D has is the sensor and I just have a feeling that Canon is really struggling in it's R&D for a better sensor for its top of the line crop body and they bought themselves more time with the firmware upgrade.

Kinda of a big shortcoming, don'tcha think? I agree it might be a while though. Too bad they can buy sensors from sony too. Sony sensor in an awesome canon body = the perfect camera.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 17, 2012, 01:50:56 AM »
I'm betting not.  Why would they have gone to all the trouble with the firmware upgrade, and then fix that upgrade's bug if they were just going to replace it with a 7D2 soon?  No, I think we will be waiting quite a while for that refresh to happen  :(.

Me too, unfortunately.
Between the new 7D firmware, the 5D3 is too expensive, the 6D is just a 5D mk2.01 for too much $, the 7D is going to be my only digital body for quite some time (unless a 5D2 or 1Ds2 come past my eyes for less than $1000...)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 17, 2012, 01:51:54 AM »
Kinda of a big shortcoming, don'tcha think? I agree it might be a while though. Too bad they can buy sensors from sony too. Sony sensor in an awesome canon body = the perfect camera.

Don't forget to add in Pentax's pricing strategy (as in, "we're sinking, let's discount everything!")
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 17, 2012, 01:56:09 AM »
This is a Super Rebel. And you know what? The Rebels are darn fine cameras. AND are great sellers. The t2i - t4i have gotten fantastic reviews. This will be a good upgrade choice for current Rebel owners. This means big money for Canon. Built-in WiFi and GPS?  20MP?  This is a NICE camera.

The 1DX and 5D3 should have come with built-in WiFi for those prices....  There's no excuse... I'm still pissed the 5D3 doesnt have a user-replaceable focus-screen, no dual CF slots and no built-in WiFi. The 5D3 is a PRO camera.

The 6D is an exciting camera. I'm REALLY interested in what their 7D2 will look like. :-)

Really exciting?  Are you buying one... your post implies otherwise.  A nice upgrade for a Rebel owner... sure but how many are going to spend $2k on a body?   Rebels are nice cameras... and they're $500 - $900.

The 6D is a very nice camera... but for these specs who's buying at $2k?

What other FF can you buy at $2k?  Nikon. That's it.  If it has the same metal body as the 5D2, I'd consider it a darn fine camera. Built-in WiFi is HOT.  I don't like the SD card...  That's a real bummer. I'll wait for dpreview to do their comparisons. :-)

Let me agree with you one more time... yes, it's a good camera. 

Now on to the question... are you going to buy?  I think not, you've essentially said so.   Now, is a typical Rebel user going to pay $2k for a body with the same specs but a FF sensor?  I think not because they don't even know what a  FF sensor is and how it might be better and the few who do are going to be a small market.

Tcapp

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2012, 01:57:35 AM »

Don't forget to add in Pentax's pricing strategy (as in, "we're sinking, let's discount everything!")

+1 to that! Although, as a pro, price is not as important as function.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

DianeK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 17, 2012, 01:59:57 AM »

Yup, real BIG shortcoming.  And as long as Canon won't admit that Sony has the best sensor technology right now and swallow their pride and just starting buying from Sony, we all lose.  I love Canon glass + I think I would really like the D600 = baaad place to be  :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: September 17, 2012, 01:59:57 AM »

Pitbullo

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 17, 2012, 02:05:06 AM »
1/8000, Digic5+, 100% VF and good ISO range... The real specs are better than I feard, watching the rumors. However, the AF-system need to impress before I ever will consider this DSLR. I shoot with the old 9pt. system, and action is not easy!
Other than the AF - system, this look OK. Not mindblowing, but OK.

Tcapp

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 17, 2012, 02:08:16 AM »

Yup, real BIG shortcoming.  And as long as Canon won't admit that Sony has the best sensor technology right now and swallow their pride and just starting buying from Sony, we all lose.  I love Canon glass + I think I would really like the D600 = baaad place to be  :P

Oh well. Give it time. Eventually, someday, MAYBE, canon will lose enough market share to have to kick their butts into gear in the R&D department.

I once heard a very interesting answer to the question which is better, nikon or canon:

"Canon is the best camera you can get designed by engineers, Nikon is the best you can get designed by photographers."

Seems the roles have reversed? Nikon with the zero banding, greater DR, etc. Canon with the better af, lcd screen, viwefinder, frame rates, etc. Interesting, eh?

CanNotYet

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 17, 2012, 02:19:20 AM »
My question is: Price?
For 2k, this is a no-go. For 1.5k, Canon will OWN the FF market.

Musouka

« Reply #160 on: September 17, 2012, 02:30:40 AM »

People want a revolutionary product for an amazing price. We live in a day and age where companies like Apple set consumer expectations very high and if a company like Canon isn't completely breaking the mold with every release, they need to turn on the PR machine or create a reality distortion field with their launches.

Maybe two years ago. Have you seen the reactions to the iPhone 5? Many are calling it 'boring' and 'underwhelming' technology-wise. It certainly has less bells and whistles than many of its competitors. Apple is among the last manufacturers to support LTE. Despite this, Apple is confident they can continue to sell well, and they are, because they have faith in their ecosystem. It's working in the short run but the question is would it continue to work in the long run? Apple and, to a lesser extent, Canon are relying on their established reputations. It takes time to unseat a marketing force. Time will only tell.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 17, 2012, 02:52:55 AM »
I'll remember this day as the day I became a Nikon user.

I didn't like Canon'r recent price policy, but I said to myself "let's wait, maybe the 6D will be worth staying with Canon". Quite obviously it's not. We all know Canon is lagging behind in terms of sensor technology, but the problem with this camera is certainly not the sensor - or at least not it alone. It's ridiculous to put the 6D and the D600 at the same price point. Some time ago Canon had the lead on lenses, nowadays this is not so true anymore. The reasons to choose/stay with Canon - unless you're heavily invested in glass - are hard to find; and if you're heavily invested in glass you're not buying the 6D anyway, so who's this camera at this price point for?

baronng

« Reply #162 on: September 17, 2012, 02:59:48 AM »
I plan to sell all my canon gears now after knowing the spec of 6D

as I know what canon will never give me my dream camera

both D600/D800 are my dream cameras - I want built-in flash,100% VF, dual card slot,good AF system,reasonable price,good and cheap prime (those Nikon f/1.8 lenses, not the rip off price of canon 24-70 f/2.8L II)

I'll remember this day as the day I became a Nikon user.

I didn't like Canon'r recent price policy, but I said to myself "let's wait, maybe the 6D will be worth staying with Canon". Quite obviously it's not. We all know Canon is lagging behind in terms of sensor technology, but the problem with this camera is certainly not the sensor - or at least not it alone. It's ridiculous to put the 6D and the D600 at the same price point. Some time ago Canon had the lead on lenses, nowadays this is not so true anymore. The reasons to choose/stay with Canon - unless you're heavily invested in glass - are hard to find; and if you're heavily invested in glass you're not buying the 6D anyway, so who's this camera at this price point for?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: September 17, 2012, 02:59:48 AM »

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #163 on: September 17, 2012, 03:32:45 AM »
Let's go with the positives first.
- Builtin GPS & Wireless, no need for ultra-expensive add-ons. Nice!
- Full-frame with ISO down to 50, something my 7D can't do. Nice!
- Same battery packs as the 5D and 7D, very useful, for me at least.
- Some other small nifty features that sound nice, WB-bracketing etc.

The cons:
- Viewfinder at 97%, why? My 7D does 100% and I like it.
- 11 AF points, don't know enough to say whether they are good or "bad", but seems awfully "underpowered"
- No builtin flash, I use the builtin on the 7D to command remote flashes and it is quite a valuable feature for me.
- No CF, massive bummer for me, can't swap cards between cameras.

My verdict: As I have the 7D, this offers no reason compelling enough to go for this model. I will keep my sights on getting a 5D3 instead when I finally do go full-frame. OR, god forbid I become rich and can get me the 1D-X. :)
But for someone starting out, why not? Certainly the list-price is high, but does anyone ever pay list-price?  ;)

The way I see it is that, yes, it may be a let down for most people on this forum, but if I was just getting my DSLR now, I might go for this. Especially since a lot of my friends shoot Canon, which means I have access to a nice spectrum of lenses.

On another note, I haven't seen anyone yet that actually made the switch to Nikon, lots of threats, but seem more like a knee-jerk reaction to me. Yes, the Nikon sensor may be technically more advanced, but to me useability rates higher than pixel-peeping. Almost every Canon camera I've seen so far produces good images in the right hands.
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #164 on: September 17, 2012, 03:44:01 AM »
I totally agree!! unless they came up with a revolutionary sensor  8)
+1   That is the only thing that can save this spec, imho.

another +1 ... but Canon don't giving details on the sensor dr/iso performance doesn't sound too promising.

Btw. the 11 af points *have* to be all cross, everything else would be a bad joke @$2000+ and in comparison to the 5d2 and d600.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: September 17, 2012, 03:44:01 AM »