September 16, 2014, 03:23:53 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs  (Read 65933 times)

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs
« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2012, 03:48:07 AM »
I'll remember this day as the day I became a Nikon user.

I didn't like Canon'r recent price policy, but I said to myself "let's wait, maybe the 6D will be worth staying with Canon". Quite obviously it's not. We all know Canon is lagging behind in terms of sensor technology, but the problem with this camera is certainly not the sensor - or at least not it alone. It's ridiculous to put the 6D and the D600 at the same price point. Some time ago Canon had the lead on lenses, nowadays this is not so true anymore. The reasons to choose/stay with Canon - unless you're heavily invested in glass - are hard to find; and if you're heavily invested in glass you're not buying the 6D anyway, so who's this camera at this price point for?
this. the D600 dominates the specs on everything except GPS, wifi and touchscreen, these are consumer gimics though and aren't something I require in a 2000 dollar camera. what I do require is awesome AF, AFMA, and a 100% viewfinder. This camera has none. If you haven't bought the D800, D600, or 5DIII yet, I don't see how this camera presents anything new or even a new price point.
If you're a beginner, moving up from a Rebel, this camera doesn't have a lot of sexy specs differentiating it from the 650D(especially AF!!!) and it's over 1000 dollars more.  If you only have a kit lens or a couple of EF-S lenses I don't see why you'd choose this instead of switching to Nikon.  If you do have a lot of Canon glass, and cant switch or don't want to, then you probably already have a 5DIII and aren't that interested anyways.
This camera absolutely baffles me.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2012, 03:48:07 AM »

bradleyg5

« Reply #166 on: September 17, 2012, 03:57:22 AM »
I think when you look at the speculated specs it's pretty clear it's 11 cross points at F/4 with a double cross point centre at F/2.8. I would consider that to be superior to the D600 because all the cross points on that camera are clustered in the centre.

I would consider this even better than the D800 which again has all the cross points in the centre. When I'm shooting portrait orientation I need that focus point at the top to be as accurate as the centre point. On the D800 you get a whole bunch of points at the top(in portrait) but they are all horizontal only points.

I totally agree!! unless they came up with a revolutionary sensor  8)
+1   That is the only thing that can save this spec, imho.

another +1 ... but Canon don't giving details on the sensor dr/iso performance doesn't sound too promising.

Btw. the 11 af points *have* to be all cross, everything else would be a bad joke @$2000+ and in comparison to the 5d2 and d600.

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2012, 03:57:59 AM »
Btw. the 11 af points *have* to be all cross, everything else would be a bad joke @$2000+ and in comparison to the 5d2 and d600.

If this is true, then the camera AF is somewhat OK. For my use, only 5 super-accurate AF points are needed: one in the center and the remaining 4 on the intersection of one-thirds lines.

I'll get this in a heartbeat if I haven't got myself the 5D3 many months ago. ;)

bakker

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 17, 2012, 04:02:49 AM »
Well, I've got the 5D mark III but I really don't see the point why this 6D gets built-in WiFi and GPS while the mark III does not.. The argument that it consumes the battery faster is not valid in my opinion. It should be possible to disable these functions in the menu for those that don't want to use them..

shannon76

« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2012, 04:03:16 AM »

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #170 on: September 17, 2012, 04:04:34 AM »
The replacement for the 5D 2 is the 5D 3. I can't understand most of the complains here.
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2012, 04:07:21 AM »
The replacement for the 5D 2 is the 5D 3. I can't understand most of the complains here.
The replacement for the 5D2 is unfortunately the D800.

The 5D3 is just.. Well, let's call it "5D2.5."
They fixed the horrible AF, added 1 MP, and a few gimmicks like in camera HDR. That is hardly what I call a replacement..
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:09:20 AM by Ricku »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2012, 04:07:21 AM »

daniel_charms

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Canon EOS 6D Official Announcement
« Reply #172 on: September 17, 2012, 04:08:30 AM »
The EOS 6D Digital SLR Camera Includes a New Full-Frame Sensor, Built-in Wireless and GPS

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today introduced the EOS 6D Digital SLR Camera, a versatile mid-range full-frame camera with the durability and performance professionals require and the creative imaging options serious photographers crave. Canon has coupled the incredible image quality of a newly designed 20.2-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5+ Image Processor with the creative potential of built-in wireless transmitter and GPS features. The camera also includes an 11-point AF array and 63-zone dual-layer iFCL metering sensor together with 1080p Full HD video capabilities, in an affordable camera body. Building upon the qualities that made the EOS 5D Mark II camera so successful, the EOS 6D bridges the gap for budget-minded photographers, videographers and cinematographers who are eager to step up into the world of full-frame imaging.

“The introduction of this camera completes a well-rounded ecosystem from input through output for Canon, allowing us to provide the right combination of features for every level of photographer. We believe the EOS 6D Digital SLR Camera along with our new PIXMA Pro printers will help unlock the creative vision of so many who aspire to capture and display their artistic abilities,” stated Yuichi Ishizuka, executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies & Communications Group, Canon U.S.A.

Designed for advanced amateurs and videographers making the move to a full-frame Digital SLR, the EOS 6D fits neatly into Canon’s professional imaging system with an advanced feature set including full manual options for creative control in addition to new and intuitive automatic settings to help even novice photographers capture great images. The camera’s construction helps meet the needs of professionals with a 100,000-cycle shutter durability and EOS Integrated Cleaning System for high-quality vibration-based dust removal. Among the many advancements in Canon’s new EOS 6D is the Company’s proprietary DIGIC 5+ Image Processor that powers the camera’s fast 14-bit analog-to-digital conversion for exceptionally smooth color tones and gradation. The camera offers a full-frame, 20.2-megapixel CMOS sensor and continuous shooting up to 4.5 frames per second (fps).

Thanks to the combination of its new CMOS image sensor and the powerful DIGIC 5+ image processor, the EOS 6D provides a wide ISO range from 100-25600 with a low setting, L: 50 and two high settings, H1: 51200 and H2: 102400. These outstanding low-light capabilities allow the EOS 6D to easily capture dimly lit scenes such as wedding ceremonies, indoor corporate events, or landscapes at dusk. To support the ample sensitivity of the new camera’s sensor, the EOS 6D camera’s Auto Focus (AF) system includes a newly-developed 11-point AF sensor featuring a high-precision center cross-type point with an exceptional EV -3 sensitivity rating for accurate focusing even in extremely low-light conditions.

The EOS 6D has a large 3.0-inch Clear View LCD monitor with 1,040,000 dot VGA resolution and 170 degree viewing angle, with high-transparency multicoating for maximum protection and clarity when viewing images or navigating menu screens. When used for Live View shooting, the camera’s bright high-performance LCD screen provides 100 percent coverage, for easy focusing and framing.

Full-Frame 1080p Full HD Video

Videographers, student filmmakers, and creative independent spirits will appreciate the full-frame video capabilities of the EOS 6D in an affordable and compact body. Borrowing from the best of the EOS 5D-series, the EOS 6D provides full manual control over exposure and audio levels while recording video. The camera features NTSC and PAL video modes at multiple frame rates, recording 1080p at 30 (29.97), 24 (23.976) and 25 fps, 720p at 60 (59.94) and 50 fps and standard video at 30 (29.97) and 25 fps. The camera provides up to 29 minutes and 59 seconds of continuous recording (with 4GB automatic file partitioning) in selectable All i-framei or IPB compressions with embedded timecode. Especially when used with large aperture lenses, the EOS 6D camera’s full-frame sensor offers a tremendous degree of creative control over depth-of-field, helping users to achieve pro-quality cinematic effects in Full HD video recordings.

Built-in Wireless and GPS

For the ultimate in DSLR connectivity and control, the EOS 6D features a built-in wireless transmitter which allows the camera to share images and video with the user’s choice of wireless devices such as select PowerShot cameras, smartphones, or tablets, as well as cloud-based destinations including social networking sites through the Canon iMAGE GATEWAYii iii. A very intuitive and useful wireless feature is the new, free Canon EOS Remote app available for iOS and Android systems which will allow a smartphone or wireless device such as a tablet to remotely connect, control and operate the connected EOS 6Div. This seamless connection and control will open new opportunities for professional photographers shooting weddings or remote wildlife, without the need for tethered operation or accessories.

For on-location shooters, landscape photographers or enthusiast photo travelers, the EOS 6D features a built-in GPS receiver to record longitude, latitude, elevation and Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) as EXIF data for seamless geo-tagging while shooting. The GPS coordinates are appended to each image and easily syncs with Canon software or mapping apps on social network sites to show image locations. Use of UTC data allows images to be chronologically mapped and trails plotted and recorded.v

Boundless Creativity

To help photographers unlock their full creative potential and explore all the different avenues of digital photography, the EOS 6D includes several creative modes for image capture. First is the HDR (High Dynamic Range) mode allowing the camera to capture three separate exposures and combine them in-camera for a stunning image capturing both enhanced shadow detail and bright highlights. Next is the camera’s Multiple Exposure mode where users can combine up to nine individual images into a single composite image, with no need for later computer post-processing. Four different compositing methods are provided for maximum creative control, including Additive, Average, Bright and Dark. Compositing results can be viewed in real time on the camera’s LCD monitor, and there is a one-step Undo command that allows photographers to delete an image and try again if desired. The EOS 6D will even allow photographers to specify a previously captured RAW image as the starting point for a new Multiple Exposure composite image. In addition to HDR and Multiple Exposure modes are Canon’s standard Scene Intelligent Auto and special scene modes to capture great images with ease. The camera is compatible with SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards including the new Ultra High Speed (UHS-I) cards.

Pricing and Availability

The EOS 6D Digital SLR Camera will be sold in a body-only configuration at an estimated retail price of $2,099.00 and it will additionally be offered in a kit version with Canon’s EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM zoom lens at an estimated retail price of $2,899.00. Both configurations are expected to be available in December 2012.

About Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Canon U.S.A., Inc., is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business, and industrial digital imaging solutions. With approximately $45.6 billion in global revenue, its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ), ranks third overall in U.S. patents registered in 2011† and is one of Fortune Magazine's World’s Most Admired Companies in 2012. In 2012, for the ninth consecutive year, Canon U.S.A. has received the PCMag.com Readers Choice Award for Service and Reliability. Committed to the highest level of customer satisfaction and loyalty, Canon U.S.A. provides 100 percent U.S.-based consumer service and support for all of the products it distributes. Canon U.S.A. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility. To keep apprised of the latest news from Canon U.S.A., sign up for the Company's RSS news feed by visiting www.usa.canon.com/rss.

†Based on weekly patent counts issued by United States Patent and Trademark Office.

All referenced product names, and other marks, are trademarks of their respective owners.

Prices, specifications and availability are subject to change without notice.

i UHS-I Card is required for All i-frame compressions
ii One time registration is required on CANON iMAGE GATEWAY.
iii This software enables you to upload images to social network services. Before uploading images, please be aware that image files may contain privacy related information such as people and places. If necessary, please delete such information. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this software.
iv Compatible with iOS version 5.0 or later and Android devices version 2.3/4.0 or later. Data charges may apply.
v In certain countries or regions, the use of GPS may be restricted. Therefore, be sure to use GPS in accordance with the laws and regulations in the country or region. Be particularly careful when travelling outside your home country. As a signal is received from GPS satellites, take sufficient measures when using in locations where the use of electronics is regulated.

Editorial Contacts:
Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Len Musmeci, 516-328-4884
lmusmeci@cusa.canon.com
or
Kevin McCarthy, 516-328-5950
kmccarthy@cusa.canon.com
or
Canon U.S.A. Web site:
http://www.usa.canon.com
or
For sales information/customer support:
1-800-OK-CANON
ccenter@cits.canon.com

Source: Canon U.S.A., Inc.

(Source)

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #173 on: September 17, 2012, 04:09:02 AM »
I would never buy a Nikon. I don't like them.
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

alfeel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 17, 2012, 04:14:40 AM »
not sure if anyone already posted it: dpreview hand on :) http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/

shannon76

« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2012, 04:15:35 AM »
Here are the specs.  Looks like only one cross type?  Is that correct?

Autofocus

Type
TTL secondary image-forming phase-difference detection system with AF-dedicated CMOS sensor

AF Points
11 points

Center: cross-type at f/5.6; vertical line-sensitive at f/2.8.

Upper and lower AF points: vertical line-sensitive AF at f/5.6.

Other AF points: Horizontal line-sensitive AF at f/5.6.

AF Working Range
Center AF Point: EV -3 to 18 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100)

Other AF points: EV +0.5 to 18 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:18:16 AM by shannon76 »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2012, 04:17:41 AM »
Woohoo!!  I didn't stay awake for nothing!!
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon/newsroom?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e0248065d8c4
"[...] the EOS 6D camera's Auto Focus (AF) system includes a newly-developed 11-point AF sensor featuring a high-precision center cross-type point with an exceptional EV -3 sensitivity rating for accurate focusing even in extremely low-light conditions."

* What about the sensor dr/iso in comparison to the 5d3/5d2 !?! No af pixels obviously, so what's new?
* Wi-Fi control is indeed exciting, could even go above magic lantern features (motion detect, ...)
* $2099 is too much, as usual for Canon. I expect they really mean $1999 and $100 pre-order fee.

EDIT: GPS has orientation sensor, so that's a real advantage in comparison to an external tagger unit
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:35:37 AM by Marsu42 »

shannon76

« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2012, 04:20:11 AM »
Looks like the max shutter speed is 1/4000.  Ugh.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2012, 04:20:11 AM »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2012, 04:26:37 AM »
So in the end just 1 cross-type point in the centre?

killswitch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2012, 04:29:21 AM »
Meh! Spec wise very anti-climatic. I cant see anyone from a 60D, 7D jumping onto this. No AFMA, No CF slot, view finder 97% really is a let down. 11 point as well, although depending on what sort of AF algorithm they have implemented on this 6D remains to be seen. For the price I feel the jump seems very short imho. :(

Update: Ok, so it says in dpreview site there is AFMA borrowed from the 5D3
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:40:46 AM by killswitch »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2012, 04:29:21 AM »