July 31, 2014, 11:22:19 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs  (Read 64115 times)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
Re: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs
« Reply #270 on: September 17, 2012, 08:18:27 AM »
:)  I knew you'll say that.  I'm leaning now to D600 but I'm still crossing my fingers + toes that 6D sensor will be  better or at least perform somewhat close to D600.  I love Canon colors.  A lot of my friends are using Nikon but somehow they can't produce the colors of Canon.  A lot of them got D90 and D7000 but they still envy my pictures.  I'd hate to switch but as I said before, I'm at the crossroads.  Whatever I choose, I know I'll stick with it for a very long time.

Ah yes... Canon colors. Well, that's easy. Use the vivid setting on any other make of camera and there you are - Canon colors!

Oh and anyway - RAW format lets you fiddle with your colors as much as you like in post.

Nope.  You can approximate but color gradations is still different.  A lot of Canon professionals will attest to that.  Vivid settings for landscape? Portrait settings, very different.  For landscape, you may argue that at vivid settings or more saturation/contrast/hue, you'll be able to approximate the colors for Canon and Nikon either way but for skin colors, I don't think so.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:20:41 AM by verysimplejason »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #270 on: September 17, 2012, 08:18:27 AM »

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 17, 2012, 08:20:21 AM »
seems to behave very well under low light conditions,
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos6d/

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #272 on: September 17, 2012, 08:23:23 AM »

High ISO samples are still not available.

chadders

« Reply #273 on: September 17, 2012, 08:24:43 AM »
On a positive note, the presence of internal WiFi would probably compensate for the lack of an articulating screen. If Canon are smart, they would release a free software for PCs and mobile devices to enable full liveview control via a wireless connection.

Which is exactly what they have "done".  :)

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 17, 2012, 08:29:34 AM »

High ISO samples are still not available.

yeah but at least on video, have you seen the film deep green? that shot that the girl is holding a lantern is nice!

Ryan_W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 17, 2012, 09:09:52 AM »
The concept image for the 6D AF is interesting. It's more wide-set than I anticipated.

From Canon's product page: 

High Performance Composing and Focus

The EOS 6D has an entirely new 11-point AF system for fast, accurate AF no matter the situation. With its new centered cross-type AF point with EV -3 sensitivity for improved performance and focus in low light, and a newly developed and bright 21mm eye point viewfinder with 97% coverage, the EOS 6D offers impressive performance in both composition and AF, even in the dimmest lighting situations. Offering not only One-Shot AF, AI Servo AF, and AI Focus AF, the EOS 6D’s AI Servo focus can be customized with tracking, acceleration and deceleration tracking sensitivities, and 1st or 2nd image priority adjustments. For even more customization, adjustment levels for the wide-angle and telephoto ends of particular lenses can be entered and recorded into the camera’s memory.

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 17, 2012, 09:20:23 AM »
Yes, this is still a popular misconception amongst Canon users - that Canon produces better glass than Nikon. The reality is different. Nikon lenses are every bit as good as Canon.
It may have been the case in 2004 when Nikon was still new on the DSLR market. But that was a long time ago.
Well, it depends what you are looking to do. For example, the Canon T/S lenses are better by a decent margin. But the Nikon 14-24 is better than most other Canon ultra-wide's. Nikon doesn't really have quality, cheaper options like the 24-105L or the 70-200 f/4L IS, but when you get to the next step, they have some similar stuff. Also, their 80-400 isn't as well reviewed as the Canon 100-400. Prime wise, it depends on what you want, but both have decent variety.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #276 on: September 17, 2012, 09:20:23 AM »

psolberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 17, 2012, 09:23:13 AM »
:)  I knew you'll say that.  I'm leaning now to D600 but I'm still crossing my fingers + toes that 6D sensor will be  better or at least perform somewhat close to D600.  I love Canon colors.  A lot of my friends are using Nikon but somehow they can't produce the colors of Canon.  A lot of them got D90 and D7000 but they still envy my pictures.  I'd hate to switch but as I said before, I'm at the crossroads.  Whatever I choose, I know I'll stick with it for a very long time.

Ah yes... Canon colors. Well, that's easy. Use the vivid setting on any other make of camera and there you are - Canon colors!

Oh and anyway - RAW format lets you fiddle with your colors as much as you like in post.

Nope.  You can approximate but color gradations is still different.  A lot of Canon professionals will attest to that.  Vivid settings for landscape? Portrait settings, very different.  For landscape, you may argue that at vivid settings or more saturation/contrast/hue, you'll be able to approximate the colors for Canon and Nikon either way but for skin colors, I don't think so.

honestly, having shot both, post processing has made all of this color issues meaningless and neither system has any meaningful advantage. I'm more concerned about things post processing can't easily overcome. Like single exposure dynamic range which canon trails by a huge margin and the low ISO shadow banding noise that plagues canon sensors.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #278 on: September 17, 2012, 09:29:53 AM »
The concept image for the 6D AF is interesting. It's more wide-set than I anticipated.

The design shows they really managed to build the anti-5d3 af: no cross type sensor at f2.8+ ...

... this is ridiculous beyond belief, no way to give this a positive spin even if it's up to -3ev. I've shot for a long time with an analog eos620 with no cross-type sensor - the pattern detection simply isn't reliable enough if it's only one point.

From Canon's product page: High Performance Composing and Focus

Canon marketing says otherwise? Well, I'm not quite convinced :-p

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #279 on: September 17, 2012, 09:42:47 AM »

honestly, having shot both, post processing has made all of this color issues meaningless and neither system has any meaningful advantage. I'm more concerned about things post processing can't easily overcome. Like single exposure dynamic range which canon trails by a huge margin and the low ISO shadow banding noise that plagues canon sensors.

I have only color issues for portrait.  I like Canon much better.  For landscape or other types of photography, I have no issues with color.  And yes, the dynamic range and the banding noise is what I don't want from Canon.  The Canon sensor is way behind Nikon with regards to that.  I almost always use HDR when taking landscape photos.  I just tone the dynamic range and colors down to make it look real.  The challenge is when taking something photos of something that moves e.g., sea, people (most often encountered with silhouettes).  I hope they manage to increase the DR and tone down that ISO banding noise with 6D.

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 17, 2012, 09:49:54 AM »

I noticed it has 1/8000 instead of 1/4000. 

Not according to the specs posted this morning on the US Canon website:

Shutter Speeds
1/4000 to 30 sec., X-sync at 1/180 sec. (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode.)
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #281 on: September 17, 2012, 09:50:42 AM »

The design shows they really managed to build the anti-5d3 af: no cross type sensor at f2.8+ ...

... this is ridiculous beyond belief, no way to give this a positive spin even if it's up to -3ev. I've shot for a long time with an analog eos620 with no cross-type sensor - the pattern detection simply isn't reliable enough if it's only one point.

From Canon's product page: High Performance Composing and Focus

Canon marketing says otherwise? Well, I'm not quite convinced :-p

Maybe it's another type of AF completely different from what we've seen so far?  I'm going to give Canon the benefit of doubt.

Gothmoth

« Reply #282 on: September 17, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
Maybe it's another type of AF completely different from what we've seen (in rebel cameras) so far?

another type... you mean a good one?   ;D  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #282 on: September 17, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #283 on: September 17, 2012, 09:52:33 AM »

I noticed it has 1/8000 instead of 1/4000. 

Not according to the specs posted this morning on the US Canon website:

Shutter Speeds
1/4000 to 30 sec., X-sync at 1/180 sec. (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode.)

I wonder, is this really a hardware limitation or they're just crippling it via software?

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #284 on: September 17, 2012, 09:55:47 AM »
Maybe it's another type of AF completely different from what we've seen (in rebel cameras) so far?

another type... you mean a good one?   ;D  ;)

I don't know.  My guess is as good as yours.  If you go to Canon site here's the AF of 5D2:  TTL-CT-SIR AF-dedicated CMOS sensor.
For 6D: TTL secondary image-forming phase-difference detection system with AF-dedicated CMOS sensor.

Different?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #284 on: September 17, 2012, 09:55:47 AM »