October 22, 2014, 03:22:15 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs  (Read 67487 times)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
Re: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs
« Reply #285 on: September 17, 2012, 10:00:18 AM »
Maybe it's another type of AF completely different from what we've seen (in rebel cameras) so far?

another type... you mean a good one?   ;D  ;)

I don't know.  My guess is as good as yours.  If you go to Canon site here's the AF of 5D2:  TTL-CT-SIR AF-dedicated CMOS sensor.
For 6D: TTL secondary image-forming phase-difference detection system with AF-dedicated CMOS sensor.

Different?

Here's the AF of 650D:

Type
TTL-CT-SIR AF-dedicated CMOS sensor
AF Points
9 points (All AF points are cross-type at f/5.6., Center AF point is diagonal cross-type at f/2.8.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #285 on: September 17, 2012, 10:00:18 AM »

Ryan_W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 17, 2012, 10:12:18 AM »
The concept image for the 6D AF is interesting. It's more wide-set than I anticipated.

The design shows they really managed to build the anti-5d3 af: no cross type sensor at f2.8+ ...

... this is ridiculous beyond belief, no way to give this a positive spin even if it's up to -3ev. I've shot for a long time with an analog eos620 with no cross-type sensor - the pattern detection simply isn't reliable enough if it's only one point.

From Canon's product page: High Performance Composing and Focus

Canon marketing says otherwise? Well, I'm not quite convinced :-p

Maybe it's another type of AF completely different from what we've seen so far?  I'm going to give Canon the benefit of doubt.

What has me intrigued is that the 6D will use the same AF tuning as the 5D3 and the 1DX, where you can set thresholds for focusing based on how subjects move across the points. It's possible that they've refined the software to the point where 11 AF points are acceptable for most shooters (accepting that this is not a camera built for high-end professional sports photography).

It would also explain why the AF points are so tall and long - maybe this AF system is more concerned with how subjects cross the zones as opposed to moving into individual points.

Either way, there's no way to tell if it will work or not until its put into practice. I think it's presumptuous to assume that only a multi-cross point AF system could be reliable.

Having used the 5D3 at work quite a bit, that AF system was overkill. I would tend to cluster my AF points so I can reach each zone with one push of the trigger in any direction. I find it's much faster and more reliable to move the camera slightly while pressing the stick once while autofocusing, as opposed to walking the cursor across 63 AF points one at a time; but that's a workflow that makes sense for me shooting fast action street photography like protests, riots, etc. Other people are doing studio or product photography and would need more selectable points. Some are shooting sports and need more coverage. Luckily Canon makes cameras for that.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:33:38 AM by Ryan_W »

mitch.o

« Reply #287 on: September 17, 2012, 10:26:41 AM »
A thought I just had: There seems to be a lot of concern on this post as to who will buy this camera. That this camera won't sell well. And my response to this is.... Who cares? I would be totally fine if this camera only sells 1 unit worldwide (and that would be to me of course...). We should really be less concerned with Canon's sales numbers and more concerned with our own creative output.

2n10

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 17, 2012, 10:34:03 AM »
A thought I just had: There seems to be a lot of concern on this post as to who will buy this camera. That this camera won't sell well. And my response to this is.... Who cares? I would be totally fine if this camera only sells 1 unit worldwide (and that would be to me of course...). We should really be less concerned with Canon's sales numbers and more concerned with our own creative output.

Best response I have seen on this thread.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

Ryan_W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 17, 2012, 10:34:23 AM »

You may have just defeated the entire purpose of the internet.

papercutMS

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 17, 2012, 10:58:27 AM »
I bet Canon sells a ton of these at BestBuy to soccer moms who will be told all about the benefits of a FF sensor and in a not so intimidating body.

Enthusiasts will most likely stay away as the excellent 5D2 offers a great value right now. Seriorsly Canon? One cross point AF point?!? Better snatch the 5D2s up while you can.
5D Mark III, Rebel T1i, 17-40 f4L, 24-105 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 85 f1.8, ST-E3-RT, 430EX II, 2 x 600EX-RT.

Ryan_W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 17, 2012, 11:12:24 AM »
I bet Canon sells a ton of these at BestBuy to soccer moms who will be told all about the benefits of a FF sensor and in a not so intimidating body.

Is this common on CR? - These 6D threads are pockmarked with posts where you're basically disparaging someone as unintelligent or lazy and concluding that only "those people" would buy something you don't want.

It's not just immature, it's also sexist, racist and classist. Stop generalizing people into "less than me" classes like "noobs" "soccer moms" "students" or any other kind of jim crow bullshit.

If you need more buttons and switches on your camera to feel like you're smarter than women whose kids play soccer, by all means, upgrade yourself to this beauty and leave the rest of us dumb losers to fiddle with our toys:

2D Photography Rube Goldberg Machine

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #291 on: September 17, 2012, 11:12:24 AM »

AJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 17, 2012, 11:20:12 AM »
I'm disappointed that the camera has a pentaprism.  I was hoping for pentamirror.  That would have knocked down the price and weight even further.  I'm looking for a lightweight travel/hiking cam. 

Curious set of specs, in all.  Neither fish nor fowl.

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 17, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »

Is this common on CR? - These 6D threads are pockmarked with posts where you're basically disparaging someone as unintelligent or lazy and concluding that only "those people" would buy something you don't want.

It's not just immature, it's also sexist, racist and classist. Stop generalizing people into "less than me" classes like "noobs" "soccer moms" "students" or any other kind of jim crow bullshit.

If you need more buttons and switches on your camera to feel like you're smarter than women whose kids play soccer, by all means, upgrade yourself to this beauty and leave the rest of us dumb losers to fiddle with our toys:

2D Photography Rube Goldberg Machine

btw is not soccer! it's football :D

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 17, 2012, 11:37:12 AM »
Yuck!  No 5D/7D button layout for the 6D (6D on left, 5D on right)

(Dpreview:  http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/)

Ok, I'm done, I've ranted enough on this thread.  Not buying a 6D.

willis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 17, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »
Watched Jared Polin's quick look to 6D at Photokina.. and didn't really sold me to it, but at least it got that basic good feeling and grip!
EOS 7D

cptobvious

« Reply #296 on: September 17, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »
The only possible saving grace for the 6D is that, if this is like the 60D vs. D7000 situation, Canon has been more willing to drop prices to move cameras than Nikon.  The D7000 beat the 60D in most specs but when it was still selling for $1200+ (mainly due to the Thailand floods), I was able to get a refurbished 60D for $640 + tax through CLP.  Also, because the 60D was more clearly inferior to the 7D, Canon was able to sell both in fairly good numbers.  I haven't seen numbers for D7000 sales and I imagine they were much better than 60D sales, but at the same time I would also wager that the D7000 took away a lot of potential D300S sales because of how good it was, whereas the 60D did not take away many 7D sales.

In this situation, I suspect more potential D800 buyers would be swayed to the D600 vs. 5D3 buyers swayed to the 6D.  I also think Canon will more aggressively discount the 6D than the Nikon will the D600 next year.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:51:23 AM by cptobvious »

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 17, 2012, 12:00:35 PM »
also why is this camera being sold only in december????????

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #297 on: September 17, 2012, 12:00:35 PM »

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 17, 2012, 12:02:52 PM »
It just feels like this camera was more of an attempt to hit a price point without trying to hit features of any other existing Canon camera rather than a model directed at a specific user base.

They avoided competing with the 60D, t4i & 5D3 by lacking live AF from the t4i, no headphone jack like the 5d3 and no tilt screen of the 60D & 4ti, no clean hdmi out, and no dual card slots.

For photography it seems weak as it is lacking a decent AF system (even something like the 7D), no dual card slots, or at least a single pro CF slot if you can only have 1 (such as the 7D), only 3 bracket exposure vs 7 of the 5d3, way slower than the 5d3 or 7D, no flash, no 100% view finder, only 1/4000 max shutter speed, only 1/180 max flash sync, and usb 2.0.

Then it seems that since this resulted in a body to inexpensive, they added gps & wifi which few people need in a DSLR rather than adding back some of the specs they removed to not compete with the other cameras.

It's a camera that seems weak no matter what area of photography you are in:
For sports - too slow and bad focus system, no CF or dual card slots, No 100%VF, no joystick, limited controls
For Wedding/Event - No dual card slot for backup, poor focus system, slow flash sync, No 100%VF, no af joystick
For video - No live AF, no swivel screen, no headphone jack, no clean hdmi, no dual cards for backup or overflow, no silent operation like the 5D3 or D600
For studio/landscape - No 100%VF, No Backup card, only 20MP vs the D600 & D800, limited DR most likely
For Travel/consumer - No popup flash, no card backup, no swivel screen, no live af, no touch screen

What/who is this camera for. This is clearly Canon's attempt to produce a camera without stepping on any other camera's toes.

Instead, the best camera for each item never include the 6D:
For sports - Buy the 1Dx, 7D, or even 5D3 (don't buy a 6D for this ever)
For Wedding/Event - buy the 5D3, 1Dx, then maybe a 7D or 6D (both have some negatives)
For video - Sony A99, 1Dc, 5D3, 1Dx, 60D,  t4i, then maybe a 6D
For studio/landscape - 5D3 or go Nikon because they are the best for this with the D800 & D600
For Travel/consumer - Nikon D600 or 5D3, t4i, then maybe i'd get a 6D

marceloshak

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 17, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »
I guess with the Canon 6D and Nikon D600 it´s the end of the semi-pro APS-C cameras, I think will not see D400 or 70D never.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #299 on: September 17, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »