August 20, 2014, 10:51:19 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs  (Read 64890 times)

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Correction to 6D Spec - Max Shutter is 1/4000
« Reply #345 on: September 17, 2012, 04:42:51 PM »
And your dedicated GPS tracker won't work with your Canon, hence it's cost as such.

it proves that the technology costs next to nothing.  ::)
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #345 on: September 17, 2012, 04:42:51 PM »

bkorcel

« Reply #346 on: September 17, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »
Oops thats the original version. To get 1/8000 you need to have some black tape installed.

Just checked DP Review and verified on Canon's own site. The 6D's max shutter speed is 1/4000, not 1/8000 as stated on this site.

Another point: I originally got excite and thought this would make a fine backup to my Mark III. Now I realized this is not for pros, but for prosumers. However $1300 or so more than the 60D and even more for T4i is somewhat out of "upgrade" price range for non pros.

What Canon should have done is releasing this camera without GPS and Wireless. Hell, they could even release the whole thing in plastic (it's currently alloy body and top plate plastic) in order to get the price down to $1500 or so, then they really have a winner on their hands. Most crop factor Canon users will want to upgrade.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 17, 2012, 04:45:51 PM »
nonsense!
every throw away phone has it today.

Yes, they don't make money off your phone, they make it off your service charge.

oh boy... you are wrong don´t make a clown out of yourself.

when i buy a throw away phone for 50 bucks that has GPS and WIFI and that i trash when there is no "charge" on it anymore... what are you arguing about.. you are wrong.. face it.

GPS and WIFI cost next to nothing.. period.
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

hawkins132

« Reply #348 on: September 17, 2012, 04:48:06 PM »
it proves that the technology costs next to nothing.  ::)

No it doesn't. It proves how companies makes revenue off technology, so they provide the product to you under cost, or with loss in order to make profit off its service in the long run.

Example, when Play Station 2 released with the new Blue Ray at the time, official disclosure indicated Sony was taking loss of more than $100 to $200 loses on production cost, banking earning revenue via game titles and developer licensing.

In this case, Canon can't make service or revenue off your GPS or WiFi, so they need to price it accordingly to their production cost.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs
« Reply #349 on: September 17, 2012, 04:49:41 PM »
They do.  They are the 1DX and 5D3... everything below those in the line will be "lesser cameras for a lower price".

The problem is that they cripple the "lesser cameras" so that they're not complete packages, but lack certain important features that force users who can cough up to money to "upgrade": no afma on the 60d (worse than 50d, solution 7d upgrade), no cross point af on the 6d @f2.8+ (worse than 5d2, solution 5d3 upgrade), let's see what's next.

This is really the truth. I'm not sure why Canon refuses to compete on a level front with Nikon and Sony. Both companies put GREAT technology in all of their DSLR's, regardless of grade. Obviously there are some key differences, but in general you don't get a hyper-gimped AF system on an entry-level DSLR from Nikon...you get a competitive AF system with multiple cross type points and low-light sensitivity. Why won't Canon COMPETE?! This is getting rather pathetic. Its looking like we will have to wait another full generation before we see high DR sensors or reticular AF in any camera from Canon...let alone in every camera.

Agreed.  Canon is finally now releasing the full line up of the next generation after watching for too long... 1DX is great, 5D3 is great but pricey, then boom... the 6D is hobbled into oblivion but too expensive for average consumers and will still be too expensive when the street price comes down to $1600.

It would seem that Canon is absolutely out to ensuring that not a single customer that's on-the-fence between bodies makes the down-choice.

Initial sales might be strong as the first wave of customers who this camera is perfect for buy it... but then I think sales may drop.  That may actually already be happening with the 5D3... pre-orders were strong and the first shipments flew off the shelf... but then last week there was apparently a sale for $2750?  The most likely reason is that Adorama made a large order based on the strong pre-sales and then the bodies didn't move very quickly. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:51:27 PM by Meh »

hawkins132

« Reply #350 on: September 17, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »
oh boy... you are wrong don´t make a clown out of yourself.

when i buy a throw away phone for 50 bucks that has GPS and WIFI and that i trash when there is no "charge" on it anymore... what are you arguing about.. you are wrong.. face it.

The throw away GPS and Wifi are easy to make, as they confine to industry mobile standards with existing blue prints, hence cheap to MASS produce, almost no cost to design and licensing. We're not taking aboutu GPS and Wifi for Canon.

Also, many throw away phone has refill options in many regions of the world, hence more revenue stream possibility.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 17, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »
They do.  They are the 1DX and 5D3... everything below those in the line will be "lesser cameras for a lower price".

The problem is that they cripple the "lesser cameras" so that they're not complete packages, but lack certain important features that force users who can cough up to money to "upgrade": no afma on the 60d (worse than 50d, solution 7d upgrade), no cross point af on the 6d @f2.8+ (worse than 5d2, solution 5d3 upgrade), let's see what's next.

This is really the truth. I'm not sure why Canon refuses to compete on a level front with Nikon and Sony. Both companies put GREAT technology in all of their DSLR's, regardless of grade. Obviously there are some key differences, but in general you don't get a hyper-gimped AF system on an entry-level DSLR from Nikon...you get a competitive AF system with multiple cross type points and low-light sensitivity. Why won't Canon COMPETE?! This is getting rather pathetic. Its looking like we will have to wait another full generation before we see high DR sensors or reticular AF in any camera from Canon...let alone in every camera.

Agreed.  Canon is finally now releasing the full line up of the next generation after watching for too long... 1DX is great, 5D3 is great but pricey, then boom... the 6D is hobbled into oblivion but too expensive for average consumers and will still be too expensive when the street price comes down to $1600.

It would seem that Canon is absolutely out to ensuring that not a single customer that's on-the-fence between bodies makes the down-choice.

Initial sales might be strong as the first wave of customers who this camera is perfect for buy it... but then I think sales may drop.  That may actually already be happening with the 5D3... pre-orders were strong and the first shipments flew off the shelf... but then last week there was apparently a sale for $2750?  The most likely reason is that Adorama made a large order based on the strong pre-sales and then the bodies didn't move very quickly.

Making people wait 3-4 years for a model will make it fly off the shelves initially... but the 5d3 was not much of a exclusive game changer like the 5d2 was... equating the two by ignoring competition and getting lazy is where they faltered. The 20% price discount by a major retailer; a day before another overpriced release; only underscores where Canon marketing has their heads shoved.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #351 on: September 17, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »

Ryan_W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 17, 2012, 05:03:52 PM »
Ditching WiFi and GPS probably would have knocked $20 of the production cost, but the perceived value to users is what's making up the price. The price drop without those items would have been substantially higher, at least as high as one of the separate attachments, which is what, $300?

Also, the Magnesium alloy was probably an effect of the price, not vice versa. The logic goes that if you're going to hit a price point, customers expect a certain build quality. I doubt the inclusion of exclusion would raise or lower the price, but the exclusion would certainly make people less willing to buy.

If you ask me, the new sensor is probably the source of the cost. A new sensor requires new fabrication techniques which requires new equipment, and sometimes even new factories. Others have rightly pointed out that Canon already has a few FF sensors in full production they could have used for cheaper.  There may well be some new manufacturing process here that is underlying a major shift for them. haven't we read that these sensors will have larger photo cells than even the 5dMKIII had?

That suggests that they're testing a new technology (probably higher range and better noise reduction) on this camera since it will sell more units at a lower price and allow them to build more sensors and reduce the overall cost of production. That would set the stage for them to switch to the new tech (if indeed it is universal and not tied to the specific size of the sensor itself) in all cameras forthcoming. The unusually high price of the 6D indicates to me that it's an early adoption not just of a new brand, but of some underlying technologies.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 17, 2012, 05:06:43 PM »

Making people wait 3-4 years for a model will make it fly off the shelves initially... but the 5d3 was not much of a exclusive game changer like the 5d2 was... equating the two by ignoring competition and getting lazy is where they faltered. The 20% price discount by a major retailer; a day before another overpriced release; only underscores where Canon marketing has their heads shoved.

Totally agree... there was huge pent up demand for a 5D3 by customers that would order at almost any price.  Beyond that initial demand the rest of the market is more price sensitive.  Time will tell how robust 5D3 and 6D will be over the next 12 months.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 17, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
Ditching WiFi and GPS probably would have knocked $20 of the production cost, but the perceived value to users is what's making up the price. The price drop without those items would have been substantially higher, at least as high as one of the separate attachments, which is what, $300?

Also, the Magnesium alloy was probably an effect of the price, not vice versa. The logic goes that if you're going to hit a price point, customers expect a certain build quality. I doubt the inclusion of exclusion would raise or lower the price, but the exclusion would certainly make people less willing to buy.

If you ask me, the new sensor is probably the source of the cost. A new sensor requires new fabrication techniques which requires new equipment, and sometimes even new factories. Others have rightly pointed out that Canon already has a few FF sensors in full production they could have used for cheaper.  There may well be some new manufacturing process here that is underlying a major shift for them. haven't we read that these sensors will have larger photo cells than even the 5dMKIII had?

That suggests that they're testing a new technology (probably higher range and better noise reduction) on this camera since it will sell more units at a lower price and allow them to build more sensors and reduce the overall cost of production. That would set the stage for them to switch to the new tech (if indeed it is universal and not tied to the specific size of the sensor itself) in all cameras forthcoming. The unusually high price of the 6D indicates to me that it's an early adoption not just of a new brand, but of some underlying technologies.

On sensor focusing for the video crowd. Mirroless, STM lenses, etc...

Fishnose

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 17, 2012, 06:01:42 PM »
A thought I just had: There seems to be a lot of concern on this post as to who will buy this camera. That this camera won't sell well. And my response to this is.... Who cares? I would be totally fine if this camera only sells 1 unit worldwide (and that would be to me of course...). We should really be less concerned with Canon's sales numbers and more concerned with our own creative output.

'Who cares?' - Canon cares. And their owners, their employees, their distributors, their suppliers etc etc. If this model is a total disaster it impacts everyone who holds a Canon or intends to do so. Lower profitability, less money for R&D, fewer new and useful products.

But you don't care....

rjhigh

« Reply #356 on: September 17, 2012, 06:06:24 PM »

I own a sony a77 (in the process of trying to sell it), and the AF on it is pretty lackluster indoors and low light. I have no experience with nikon, but the af in the a77 is pretty much equivalent to the af in the 60d, which I also own and use as a backup to the 5d3 I bought because of how disappointing the a77 was. Apparently, instead of crippling af in lower models, Sony just puts the crappy af from lower models (a77) into it's flagship models (a99).
The moral of the story is that the grass isn't always greener. I was going to convert to Sony to take advantage of the cool new tech, and made it 3-4 months before I went back to Canon. Sony flashes are also notorious for easily overheating and being worthless until they cool down. I had it happen to me on 3 separate occasions, one being in the middle of a wedding ceremony.
I have no experience with Nikon, but they used an af system from their aps-c camera as well, and a lot of people at nikonrumors weren't happy about that either.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 17, 2012, 06:13:40 PM »
A thought I just had: There seems to be a lot of concern on this post as to who will buy this camera. That this camera won't sell well. And my response to this is.... Who cares? I would be totally fine if this camera only sells 1 unit worldwide (and that would be to me of course...). We should really be less concerned with Canon's sales numbers and more concerned with our own creative output.

'Who cares?' - Canon cares. And their owners, their employees, their distributors, their suppliers etc etc. If this model is a total disaster it impacts everyone who holds a Canon or intends to do so. Lower profitability, less money for R&D, fewer new and useful products.

But you don't care....

I care. I want this product to fail, and fail badly. It's 4 years too late, it's almost practically the same as the 5D mk2.
4 years ago it was innovative. 2012, it's boring, it's overpriced.
Canon used to be innovative, now they're just a fat loser (wearing an "I'm number 1 so why try harder" t-shirt) getting rich on successes of past years.
I'm not switching to another brand, I can't, too many lenses and not enough cash.
So that means I, the loyal Canon user, who was suckered in during their 'glory days' of 5D2, 7D, 1D4, can do nothing to 'upgrade', because there is no 'upgrade'. 5D3 is an 'upgrade', yes, but i don't have that kind of money. 6D is no more of an 'upgrade' that a 5D2, used or new, and the 5D2 is cheaper.

I hope D600 sells big. I hope the a99 sells big. I hope the K3 isn't just a pipe-dream and sells (as) big (as pentax can make it).
I hope the 6D bombs and bombs bad, so that canon are forced to re-think "now why did this suck balls so much?", and they come out with something that is truly revolutionary (like the 1Ds was, like the 5D2 was), not a backpedal (like 1D4 -> 1DX was for birds/wildlife), and not treading water like this 6D is (4 years later and what, it's got a gps and wifi chip? what else? uh, nothing? same pricetag, MP, AF, and worse sealing? No Thankyou.).
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #357 on: September 17, 2012, 06:13:40 PM »

Stewbyyy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Stuart Comerford Photography
« Reply #358 on: September 17, 2012, 06:14:08 PM »
I'm conflicted by this...

I'm very excited, this is pretty much everything I wanted; everything I hoped for. SD cards, LP-E6 battery, a good size, decent FPS (I like the 5-6 FPS range, not a fan of anything higher for what I shoot).

But two things have me asking "why?" and shaking my head in disappointment:
The AF system
The bloody touch screen

Why do Canon think potential buyers of this camera will want a touch screen? I just don't get it. Hopefully there's an option to disable it, if so then I have no problem with it.

The AF system though... this is disappointing. The camera is almost perfect, almost exactly what I wanted. But this AF system sound poor... one cross type point? Could they not have at least given it the 9 cross type point AF system in my 60D...
The reason I never upgraded from my 60D to the 5D Mark II was only because of the AF system, now, this hardly sounds any better at all.

I'm awaiting reviews of its AF performance, if it's not very reliable then I might just get the 5D Mark II and save a bit of money as well as getting a more solid camera.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #359 on: September 17, 2012, 06:22:43 PM »
If this model is a total disaster it impacts everyone who holds a Canon or intends to do so. Lower profitability, less money for R&D, fewer new and useful products.

Don't despair :-p ... I'm sure Canon doesn't care much about the 6d failing or succeeding! They're a big enterprise and make their money elsewhere, the pro market dslr with its high revenues won't be affected anyway. The 6d just fills in the "ff landscape" gap left by the phased out 5d2 since not all people need the 5d3 af system.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #359 on: September 17, 2012, 06:22:43 PM »