July 31, 2014, 05:46:06 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs  (Read 64068 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs
« Reply #360 on: September 17, 2012, 06:38:01 PM »
They do.  They are the 1DX and 5D3... everything below those in the line will be "lesser cameras for a lower price".

The problem is that they cripple the "lesser cameras" so that they're not complete packages, but lack certain important features that force users who can cough up to money to "upgrade": no afma on the 60d (worse than 50d, solution 7d upgrade), no cross point af on the 6d @f2.8+ (worse than 5d2, solution 5d3 upgrade), let's see what's next.

This is really the truth. I'm not sure why Canon refuses to compete on a level front with Nikon and Sony. Both companies put GREAT technology in all of their DSLR's, regardless of grade. Obviously there are some key differences, but in general you don't get a hyper-gimped AF system on an entry-level DSLR from Nikon...you get a competitive AF system with multiple cross type points and low-light sensitivity. Why won't Canon COMPETE?! This is getting rather pathetic. Its looking like we will have to wait another full generation before we see high DR sensors or reticular AF in any camera from Canon...let alone in every camera.

I own a sony a77 (in the process of trying to sell it), and the AF on it is pretty lackluster indoors and low light. I have no experience with nikon, but the af in the a77 is pretty much equivalent to the af in the 60d, which I also own and use as a backup to the 5d3 I bought because of how disappointing the a77 was. Apparently, instead of crippling af in lower models, Sony just puts the crappy af from lower models (a77) into it's flagship models (a99).
The moral of the story is that the grass isn't always greener. I was going to convert to Sony to take advantage of the cool new tech, and made it 3-4 months before I went back to Canon. Sony flashes are also notorious for easily overheating and being worthless until they cool down. I had it happen to me on 3 separate occasions, one being in the middle of a wedding ceremony.
I have no experience with Nikon, but they used an af system from their aps-c camera as well, and a lot of people at nikonrumors weren't happy about that either.

Well, generally speaking I only include sony for their exmor sensor. I wouldn't consider Sony DSLR cameras as competition to Canon. The competition is in the Sony-Nikon alliance, and the amazing stuff that alliance is doing on the sensor front...both image and AF sensors. In the grand scheme of things, Canon is still amazing. I'll take Canon glass any day over the competitions. But, for all people will tell you, glass is only half the story. Good glass won't get you better DR if the sensor simply can't do it.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #360 on: September 17, 2012, 06:38:01 PM »

tome223

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 17, 2012, 06:51:59 PM »
Just got home and haven't dove thru the 25+ pages of messages on this topic....but as a 60d shooter hoping to upgrade to full frame by Christmas I am extremely disappointed with the 6d.  Namely, just the 11 points of af and the 1/180th flash sync.   How the 60d has 1/250th flash sync and the 5d mark iii has 1/200th and the 6d has 1/180th is just mindboggling.  I even notice a difference with the waving hands of my toddler using 1/180th vs 1/250th f;ash sync.

Couldn't have Canon at least given us 15 af points even if they didnt want to give us the full 19 af points of the 7d??????

I'll hope the 7d mark ii isnt as disappointing. 
5d3 --- 60d --- 50mm-f1.8 --- 18-135mm --- 60mm macro --- 70-300is --- 100-400l --- 24-105l --- 17-40l --- 430ex ii

Helevitia

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 17, 2012, 07:02:45 PM »
If the 6D turns out to have IQ closer(meaning more than 50% from the MK2) to the MK3 with good ISO up to 6400 and the AF system turns out to be fast and accurate with low AF, do you think it would be worth upgrading over the 7D?

I ask because I bought the 7D in May anticipating an entry-level FF camera by year's end.  Unfortunately, like everyone else, I was a bit disappointed.  After soaking in all the info over the past two days, my thoughts are:

- wifi and gps seems to be a gimmick and will be mostly useless after a few months
- If the IQ is great(KR seems to think it's almost as good as the MK3), this would make it much more worthy
- Hopefully the AF system is new and improved.
- My one big complaint about the 7D is the poor ISO, even at 400.  Too much noise.  If the 6D can perform good with 6400 ISO that would beat out the MK2, this would be a very strong selling point for me.  I literally use NR on almost every image, even down to ISO 200.

Anyhoo, just wanted to see if people think I'm off my rocker or something else?

jfretless

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 17, 2012, 07:10:12 PM »
If the 6D turns out to have IQ closer(meaning more than 50% from the MK2) to the MK3 with good ISO up to 6400 and the AF system turns out to be fast and accurate with low AF, do you think it would be worth upgrading over the 7D?

I ask because I bought the 7D in May anticipating an entry-level FF camera by year's end.  Unfortunately, like everyone else, I was a bit disappointed.  After soaking in all the info over the past two days, my thoughts are:

- wifi and gps seems to be a gimmick and will be mostly useless after a few months
- If the IQ is great(KR seems to think it's almost as good as the MK3), this would make it much more worthy
- Hopefully the AF system is new and improved.
- My one big complaint about the 7D is the poor ISO, even at 400.  Too much noise.  If the 6D can perform good with 6400 ISO that would beat out the MK2, this would be a very strong selling point for me.  I literally use NR on almost every image, even down to ISO 200.

Anyhoo, just wanted to see if people think I'm off my rocker or something else?

I don't see the 6D as upgrade or replacement for the 7D.  It's not the same kind of camera.  I've had my 7D for almost as long as it has been out and they will have to pry it from my dead hands to get me to part with it. 

Why not keep your 7D and enjoy it's features and benefits.

And if you feel that you really need a FF and can afford a $2100 price pointer, buy a 6D to add to your kit.

Two separate beasts in my opinion.

DianeK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 17, 2012, 07:32:41 PM »
If the 6D was say $1200 the discussion would be entirely different... at that price it's easy to accept that the features are like a top end Rebel but it has a FF sensor.   But's it's not $1200.... it's starting out at $2100 and might come down to $1600 in time but not likely lower... is it a winner anywhere in that price range?

Yup, they are marketing a $1200 camera for $2100.  Maybe someone in Canon marketing is dyslexic  ::)  :P

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 17, 2012, 10:05:59 PM »
But two things have me asking "why?" and shaking my head in disappointment:
The AF system
The bloody touch screen

Why do Canon think potential buyers of this camera will want a touch screen? I just don't get it. Hopefully there's an option to disable it, if so then I have no problem with it.

The AF system though... this is disappointing.

I agree with you about the AF

However the touch screen will be a step forward.  You'll be able to drive the AF point with your thumb on the screen.  This is why the joystick is gone.  Big step forward.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 17, 2012, 10:16:45 PM »
The AF system
The bloody touch screen

Why do Canon think potential buyers of this camera will want a touch screen? I just don't get it. Hopefully there's an option to disable it, if so then I have no problem with it.

However the touch screen will be a step forward.  You'll be able to drive the AF point with your thumb on the screen.  This is why the joystick is gone.  Big step forward.

FYI: No Touchscreen
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #366 on: September 17, 2012, 10:16:45 PM »

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 17, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »
ok then nevermind  :)

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 18, 2012, 04:05:09 AM »
The AF system
The bloody touch screen

no touchscreen and price to remain the same? or at least could have a swivel one!

kirillica

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • LinnikVisuals
« Reply #369 on: September 18, 2012, 04:21:52 AM »
Does anyone know which Wi-Fi classes it supports?

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #370 on: September 18, 2012, 04:23:47 AM »
Namely, just the 11 points of af and the 1/180th flash sync.   How the 60d has 1/250th flash sync and the 5d mark iii has 1/200th and the 6d has 1/180th is just mindboggling.

Doesn't really matter except for 2nd curtain, just use hss - the 6d has no pop-up flash so all your external flashes will likely support it. And 1/180s x-sync is not that much slower than 1/200s - full frame curtains are larger and thus 1/250s is easier achieved on crop. But of course the 1d 1/300s x-sync is made to differentiate it from the "budget" 5d3/5d2.

no touchscreen and price to remain the same? or at least could have a swivel one!

I guess the 6d components are derived from the 5d3 production line, thus no swivel/touchscreen. Would certainly have been nice and added a feature that would make the $2099 price more realistic... so why no built-in flash, Canon?

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 18, 2012, 04:47:11 AM »
I see quite the difference between the 1d X at 1/250s and the 5d3 at 1/200s, so a concern about 1/180s is valid. And the statement, just use hss isn't a valid one, for anyone who need a normal amount of power and also want to freeze action, you just can't use hss. It won't freeze action nor give anywhere near enough power.

I really miss the 1/300s sync of the 1d4, but the X being fullframe I guess it's not possible...

All tip being said, the 6d is entrylevel, these are the things they chop off the 5d to make it small and cheap.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 18, 2012, 05:17:10 AM »

Imagine how cool a touch screen would have been.  11 AF points, plus the ability to select a focus point anywhere on the touchscreen (in photo mode and continuous video AF) would negate a lot of the negative sentiments about the AF system.  Rather than being a step backward from the 5Diii, it would just be "Different" to the 5Diii. Given the 650D has a touch screen, I'm rather surprised Canon haven't rolled all of the cool tech into this one - even if it would have added a bit to the sale price.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #372 on: September 18, 2012, 05:17:10 AM »

MintMark

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 18, 2012, 05:41:43 AM »
Maybe you'll be able to do all those cool things when you're using your smartphone to control the camera over wifi?

robbinzo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 18, 2012, 05:56:06 AM »
I've got to agree that the AF is dismal. See the comparison chart on the link below.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-6D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

It has one cross type AF point in the center. For a camera costing £1800 in the UK that is unacceptable. As a Rebel owner looking to upgrade, I am looking for a better AF system, not this pile of crud.
Wifi and all the bells and whistles are nice to have but pretty much pointless if you can't get your image focused.
Seriously thought, WTF were Canon thinking?
70D, 10-22mm EFS, 17-40mm L, 15-85mm EFS, 100L macro, 50mm f/1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #374 on: September 18, 2012, 05:56:06 AM »