December 04, 2016, 07:23:09 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs  (Read 102221 times)

AJ

• Canon 7D MK II
Re: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs
« Reply #360 on: September 17, 2012, 10:05:59 PM »
But two things have me asking "why?" and shaking my head in disappointment:
The AF system
The bloody touch screen

Why do Canon think potential buyers of this camera will want a touch screen? I just don't get it. Hopefully there's an option to disable it, if so then I have no problem with it.

The AF system though... this is disappointing.

I agree with you about the AF

However the touch screen will be a step forward.  You'll be able to drive the AF point with your thumb on the screen.  This is why the joystick is gone.  Big step forward.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #360 on: September 17, 2012, 10:05:59 PM »

dr croubie

• 5DSR
  • Too many photos, too little time.
« Reply #361 on: September 17, 2012, 10:16:45 PM »
The AF system
The bloody touch screen

Why do Canon think potential buyers of this camera will want a touch screen? I just don't get it. Hopefully there's an option to disable it, if so then I have no problem with it.

However the touch screen will be a step forward.  You'll be able to drive the AF point with your thumb on the screen.  This is why the joystick is gone.  Big step forward.

FYI: No Touchscreen
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

AJ

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #362 on: September 17, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »
ok then nevermind  :)

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
« Reply #363 on: September 18, 2012, 04:05:09 AM »
The AF system
The bloody touch screen

no touchscreen and price to remain the same? or at least could have a swivel one!

kirillica

• Canon AE-1
    • LinnikVisuals
« Reply #364 on: September 18, 2012, 04:21:52 AM »
Does anyone know which Wi-Fi classes it supports?

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #365 on: September 18, 2012, 04:23:47 AM »
Namely, just the 11 points of af and the 1/180th flash sync.   How the 60d has 1/250th flash sync and the 5d mark iii has 1/200th and the 6d has 1/180th is just mindboggling.

Doesn't really matter except for 2nd curtain, just use hss - the 6d has no pop-up flash so all your external flashes will likely support it. And 1/180s x-sync is not that much slower than 1/200s - full frame curtains are larger and thus 1/250s is easier achieved on crop. But of course the 1d 1/300s x-sync is made to differentiate it from the "budget" 5d3/5d2.

no touchscreen and price to remain the same? or at least could have a swivel one!

I guess the 6d components are derived from the 5d3 production line, thus no swivel/touchscreen. Would certainly have been nice and added a feature that would make the $2099 price more realistic... so why no built-in flash, Canon?

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #366 on: September 18, 2012, 04:47:11 AM »
I see quite the difference between the 1d X at 1/250s and the 5d3 at 1/200s, so a concern about 1/180s is valid. And the statement, just use hss isn't a valid one, for anyone who need a normal amount of power and also want to freeze action, you just can't use hss. It won't freeze action nor give anywhere near enough power.

I really miss the 1/300s sync of the 1d4, but the X being fullframe I guess it's not possible...

All tip being said, the 6d is entrylevel, these are the things they chop off the 5d to make it small and cheap.
1dx, Zeiss 21 f2.8, 35 L II, 200 f2.0 L, Profoto B1.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #366 on: September 18, 2012, 04:47:11 AM »

Hillsilly

• 5DSR
« Reply #367 on: September 18, 2012, 05:17:10 AM »

Imagine how cool a touch screen would have been.  11 AF points, plus the ability to select a focus point anywhere on the touchscreen (in photo mode and continuous video AF) would negate a lot of the negative sentiments about the AF system.  Rather than being a step backward from the 5Diii, it would just be "Different" to the 5Diii. Given the 650D has a touch screen, I'm rather surprised Canon haven't rolled all of the cool tech into this one - even if it would have added a bit to the sale price.
Camera Obscura

MintMark

• Canon AE-1
« Reply #368 on: September 18, 2012, 05:41:43 AM »
Maybe you'll be able to do all those cool things when you're using your smartphone to control the camera over wifi?

robbinzo

• Canon AE-1
« Reply #369 on: September 18, 2012, 05:56:06 AM »
I've got to agree that the AF is dismal. See the comparison chart on the link below.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-6D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

It has one cross type AF point in the center. For a camera costing £1800 in the UK that is unacceptable. As a Rebel owner looking to upgrade, I am looking for a better AF system, not this pile of crud.
Wifi and all the bells and whistles are nice to have but pretty much pointless if you can't get your image focused.
Seriously thought, WTF were Canon thinking?
70D, 10-22mm EFS, 17-40mm L, 15-85mm EFS, 100L macro, 50mm f/1.4

pedroesteban

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #370 on: September 18, 2012, 06:16:42 AM »
Has anyone noticed this diagram in the Amazon.com 6D page?

The focus points seem to be more like lines than points.

The AF system comparison done by The-Digital-Picture.com shows that the 1DS3 also has these linear sensors as focus assist points:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/Canon-EOS-DSLR-Autofocus-Explained.aspx

Are these linear sensors any better than the regular 5D II points at tracking moving subjects?

By the way, this AF system comparison is very interesting. Why aren't people complaining that the 1DX AF covers a smaller area of the sensor than the 1D IV? Is the sheer number of AF points the most important feature of an AF system?

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #371 on: September 18, 2012, 06:19:32 AM »
Has anyone noticed this diagram in the Amazon.com 6D page?

The focus points seem to be more like lines than points.

The AF system comparison done by The-Digital-Picture.com shows that the 1DS3 also has these linear sensors as focus assist points:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/Canon-EOS-DSLR-Autofocus-Explained.aspx

Are these linear sensors any better than the regular 5D II points at tracking moving subjects?

By the way, this AF system comparison is very interesting. Why aren't people complaining that the 1DX AF covers a smaller area of the sensor than the 1D IV? Is the sheer number of AF points the most important feature of an AF system?

As far as I understand it, it means the the center point is cross-type only with lenses f/2.8 or faster. Otherwise it behaves as a normal non-cross point.

Marsu42

• Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #372 on: September 18, 2012, 06:42:05 AM »
As far as I understand it

Nope, a lot of people got that the center point wrong including me, here's the explanation: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=9458.msg171516#msg171516

... concerning the non-cross points on the 6d, we'll probably have to wait for real hardware reviews to know how they perform for one shot or servo af.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #372 on: September 18, 2012, 06:42:05 AM »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #373 on: September 18, 2012, 07:31:39 AM »
As far as I understand it

Nope, a lot of people got that the center point wrong including me, here's the explanation: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=9458.msg171516#msg171516

... concerning the non-cross points on the 6d, we'll probably have to wait for real hardware reviews to know how they perform for one shot or servo af.

That would mean that the cross is composed by 3 lines (2 working a 5.6 and one at 2.8), but I find no back-up on Canon website for that assumption. How can you say that?

Marsu42

• Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #374 on: September 18, 2012, 07:33:49 AM »
That would mean that the cross is composed by 3 lines (2 working a 5.6 and one at 2.8), but I find no back-up on Canon website for that assumption. How can you say that?

You've got to ask the op (see my link), but Dr. Neuro usually is 100% reliable concerning this type of information and the specs as I understand them match his explanation.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #374 on: September 18, 2012, 07:33:49 AM »