October 23, 2014, 02:18:36 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs  (Read 67584 times)

pedroesteban

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs
« Reply #375 on: September 18, 2012, 06:16:42 AM »
Has anyone noticed this diagram in the Amazon.com 6D page?

The focus points seem to be more like lines than points.

The AF system comparison done by The-Digital-Picture.com shows that the 1DS3 also has these linear sensors as focus assist points:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/Canon-EOS-DSLR-Autofocus-Explained.aspx

Are these linear sensors any better than the regular 5D II points at tracking moving subjects?

By the way, this AF system comparison is very interesting. Why aren't people complaining that the 1DX AF covers a smaller area of the sensor than the 1D IV? Is the sheer number of AF points the most important feature of an AF system?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #375 on: September 18, 2012, 06:16:42 AM »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 18, 2012, 06:19:32 AM »
Has anyone noticed this diagram in the Amazon.com 6D page?

The focus points seem to be more like lines than points.

The AF system comparison done by The-Digital-Picture.com shows that the 1DS3 also has these linear sensors as focus assist points:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/Canon-EOS-DSLR-Autofocus-Explained.aspx

Are these linear sensors any better than the regular 5D II points at tracking moving subjects?

By the way, this AF system comparison is very interesting. Why aren't people complaining that the 1DX AF covers a smaller area of the sensor than the 1D IV? Is the sheer number of AF points the most important feature of an AF system?

As far as I understand it, it means the the center point is cross-type only with lenses f/2.8 or faster. Otherwise it behaves as a normal non-cross point.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #377 on: September 18, 2012, 06:42:05 AM »
As far as I understand it

Nope, a lot of people got that the center point wrong including me, here's the explanation: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=9458.msg171516#msg171516

... concerning the non-cross points on the 6d, we'll probably have to wait for real hardware reviews to know how they perform for one shot or servo af.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 18, 2012, 07:31:39 AM »
As far as I understand it

Nope, a lot of people got that the center point wrong including me, here's the explanation: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=9458.msg171516#msg171516

... concerning the non-cross points on the 6d, we'll probably have to wait for real hardware reviews to know how they perform for one shot or servo af.

That would mean that the cross is composed by 3 lines (2 working a 5.6 and one at 2.8), but I find no back-up on Canon website for that assumption. How can you say that?

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #379 on: September 18, 2012, 07:33:49 AM »
That would mean that the cross is composed by 3 lines (2 working a 5.6 and one at 2.8), but I find no back-up on Canon website for that assumption. How can you say that?

You've got to ask the op (see my link), but Dr. Neuro usually is 100% reliable concerning this type of information and the specs as I understand them match his explanation.

neighborsgoat

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 18, 2012, 07:42:37 AM »
Please, please stop referring to the 6D as the "FF Rebel", even if this is what Canon intends it to be! I would like not to have the "Rebel" name dragged in the dirt, for the Rebel series is one of the most successful DSLR lines a camera building company ever had. It was a Rebel (350D) which brought me to digital reflex bodies and I remember that I had to yearn for almost a year until I could afford it. And this WAS NOT because it was overpriced, but because I could barely afford it back then. Which is not what happens now with the 6D.

It was the very same Rebel which brought me to improving my shooting skills, so much that I clearly understood that improvement would not require a newer body, but a better lens lineup. THAT was the future move to make, and I was happy I made it! This is why I kept shooting my 350D Rebel for 6 and a half years, without even changing the battery, for the original one was and still is good for use!! And when I bought my first and second L glasses I still shot them on the 350D, until had the opportunity to upgrade to the body I was hoping to get. I really doubt someone will ever will say the same  in 6 years from now, about the 6D. 

It was the L lens lineup which brought me to immediately upgrading this year to 5D3. Yes, I also felt deceived by the fact that the Nikon D800 was a different beast and was upset that I will spend 500 USD more than on the competitor's body, still I never had the remorse for that money, because the 5D3 is (at least for my criteria) the camera I was expecting to get. This sadly cannot be told about the 6D. Paired with my L glasses, the 5D3 delivers as required, the only failure factor being at the moment the person holding the gear.

I stare at this 6D, read the specs and simply cannot believe my eyes.  It's like picturing myself in a dream, staying in front of the Canon people and asking them: "OK, so what did you do with that 500 USD extra me and other photographers were willing to pay for my 5D3?" And they pull out the 6D out of a drawer and throw it in my face like a rock!

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 18, 2012, 07:56:40 AM »

You've got to ask the op (see my link), but Dr. Neuro usually is 100% reliable concerning this type of information and the specs as I understand them match his explanation.

Makes little difference anyway. It's a fact that in the best case it's a 1-and-a-half cross, which puts it below the double cross fetaured by much older and less expensive cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #381 on: September 18, 2012, 07:56:40 AM »

neighborsgoat

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 18, 2012, 07:58:29 AM »
Ok, I apologize for being maybe too emotional, but sadly this is how I feel, and I see others as well.

Oh, and one more thing, for those who thought of the 6D as a second body, paired with a main 5D3: When rapidly switching from one body to another, good luck with the different button and controls setup, especially the integrated "joystick wheel"!  :( 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 08:09:50 AM by neighborsgoat »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 18, 2012, 08:11:29 AM »
Ok, I apologize for being maybe too emotional, but sadly this is how I feel, and I see others as well.

Oh, and one more thing, for those who thought at the 6D as a second body, paired with a main 5D3: When rapidly switching from one body to another, good luck with the different button and controls setup, especially the integrated "joystick wheel"!  :(

I understand your feelings - the 6D is quite likely the camera that will make me jump ship. You can already find the D600 for 1920€ in Italy, and Nikon Italy offers 4 years warranty for free. I'm sure the 6D will be better in low-light performance, but I'm not planning to shoot iso 12800 hand-held in the darkness and without flash so often, and in the worst case you have live view for accurate focusing. I prefer the better low-iso performances, cross points working at f/8, the better selection of sub-100mm lenses and the more MPs.

dpedro

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 22, 2012, 10:59:50 AM »
This may have already been mentioned in some of the threads, but this camera does not have a touch screen.  I checked canon.com, DPReview and several other sites.  This is the only spec sheet I have ever seen mention touch screen.  Also, for those upset with it being on the camera (even though it isn't). What was you problem with it?  I have the T4i and actually find it useful.  It's slow to shoot from the screen, but at times easier to quickly track and shoot someone's face.  It's faster then constantly switching your focusing points, the way I did it on the T2i.  I am looking to sell my T4i for the 5DM3, and the only reason I liked the 6D was for the wifi and touch screen, but that is not longer an issue, as it has no touch screen.  The only other thing I like is that it focuses in low light, as I do a lot of event photography and I often find the rebels struggle in this area due to lower ISO and terrible low light focusing abilities. 
5D Mark III / T4i / 35 L / 85 1.8 / 85 L / 24-70 2.8 L II / 100 2.8 L Macro / 135 L / 24-105 F4L / 70-200 F2.8 II/ 16 - 35 L / 8-15 L Fish Eye

www.facebook.com/AFlashInTimePhotographyByDonPedro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #384 on: September 22, 2012, 10:59:50 AM »