5D mk 2.01
44 (17.2%)
Yawn
37 (14.5%)
Meh
57 (22.3%)
I'm excited! (no, really.)
15 (5.9%)
$1400 (as in, if it cost that much I might be excited).
45 (17.6%)
FF Rebel
58 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 255

Author Topic: Describe the 6D in one word...  (Read 28733 times)

Matthew Payne

Re: Describe the 6D in one word...
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2012, 04:49:25 PM »
First Post, and I'll admit its on a controversial subject.

I own a 5DII that I have had for nearly 2 years. My photography is funded fully by photography... ie I shoot weddings to cover the cost of my gear, my passion is for landscape shots, but I still have a day job for the household bills.

If I had been looking for a 'first' FF digital camera (although Ive been using 35mm film for years) I would have bought this in a flash.

Its full frame, but it's small.
It has decent resolution (pixel count) but without pummelling my hard drive!
It has a metal body
It has interchangeable focussing screens as I love manual focus (those tiny Voigtlander lenses are awesome)

I know its bettered by the D600 in many ways, but in all honesty I still like the combination of specs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2012, 04:49:25 PM »

scokar

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2012, 05:14:49 PM »
it's almost a 5DIIn

nf

« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2012, 05:36:12 PM »
Dear all,
first of all sorry for my poor English... I have been a Nikon user (D700) for a while (six months, four years ago) before switching to Canon and still very happy about my decision. I have a 5d MKII and a 5d MK III and I would NEVER change to Nikon (even if I would get a D800 for free).
The reasons are many... I would not hurt anyone but I would like to say something to explain my position:

1) Canon glasses >> I have six L lenses.. not possible to compare even with the greatest Nikon glasses..

2) Canon colours >> I am very surprised that nobody speaks about it ;) Have you ever worked on a greenish Nikon RAW? Have you ever tried to put good colors in a Nikon RAW file (similar to the great Kodachrome)? I know PS can do great things but I have never been able to get good results... with Canon it keep me two minutes to get exactly what I want!

3) Canon Services > Have you ever called a Nikon Service for a problem? Good luck!  ;)

4) Would you spend your time choosing one of the 345 AF points instead of understand the right focal plane to focus with a single point?

5) Have you ever tried both systems? I did.. I also used for a weekend the D800 and I don't like at what I get, it doesn't matter DR and many many MP... the images look VERY artificial..

So please TRY the 6D before judging... when I bought the 5d mk III I just saw the specs and I was sure it was only a real small update.. I change my idea when I started to use it.. USE IT AND JUDGE IT!!!

Zlatko

« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2012, 05:48:52 PM »
Do you think it's something new that electronics companies (or any company for that matter) has different products at different price points in their line up?   They're all cameras so there has to be some differentiation in features, quality, etc. to justify the price.
Thank you for stating what should seem obvious, but apparently isn't understood by many.  Photographers are always complaining that a lesser model is a "crippled" version of a more expensive model, and a more expensive model is an "overpriced" version of a lesser model.  Why don't people understand the basic principle of "You get what you pay for"?

well i think you don´t understand that people complain here because they can get more from nikon these days....

and unfortunately some of them have invested a 5 figure number in canon lenses....
They think they "can get more from Nikon".  There are some things that are not in the specs that you only learn by using a system.  I've found Canon's color (especially when photographing humans) and ergonomics and flash system to be better overall, and their service is excellent.  Canon offers smaller raw file sizes — essential for some photographers.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #139 on: September 17, 2012, 05:49:17 PM »
................All things considered, given the product cycles, I'm likely to start building up a Nikon stable of gear, and I'd likely start with a D800. Why in the world would Canon want me to do that? Me, of all people.

Just plain tragic .

For the record, you are complaining, but it is ok to complain.  :) Canon overpriced the 5diii and now barely 6 months after it's release, it is selling for $750 less (thats over a 20% drop in 6 months!) ... if that is not a reality check , what is?

Does this not prove it was over priced? Why don't the fanbois come out and say it instead of defending Canon or attacking it's loyal customer base? Has the D800 lost 20% of it's release price? Why not?

I know how I saved up to buy a 5diii (I am sure others did not have unlimited funds either) ... and one of the many factors that affected my decisions of buying a Canon was that I would not lose a lot on resale... well that notion has gone down the toilet. While there is some blame on the sensor design team, one does not feel hate for them... they probably did the best they could given the circumstance... what was completely avoidable was a marketing/ pricing debacle that they did with the 5diii.

not to burst your bubble --- but the $750 less on the mk3 you're talking about was from a store (adorama), selling through ebay - it was a one day sale.  The price of the mk3 is still the same...
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
Re: Describe the 6D in one phrase...
« Reply #140 on: September 17, 2012, 06:55:36 PM »
So this was a planned fail ?

I'd say that this was planned not-cannibalizing-the-mark-3-as-much-as-we-can-get-away-with.  DPReview summed it up quite succinctly:

Overall, though, it's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark. It's still bound to be a very good camera, of course; just perhaps not quite as good as it could be.

Although with the D800 being what it is, & Sony sensor production being what it is, Canon's marketing would be pretty dumb to assume that an entry-level FX Nikon wasn't coming down the pipe.  The Sony entries were a little harder to predict as they're both pretty unique cameras, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that there are a lot of people out there that want a camera with extremely high image quality in as small a package as possible.

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2012, 06:58:47 PM »
it's almost a 5DIIn

That's an excellent summary of the positioning of this camera.  I was thinking earlier that it reminded me of the jump between 20D & 30D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2012, 06:58:47 PM »

aires

« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2012, 07:48:21 AM »
Has 5D Rebel been said yet?

neighborsgoat

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2012, 11:05:44 AM »
It's hard for me to think of a single word to define the 6D, since I do not understand what Canon wants with it, as it is clearly confusing even for many of us here. Mainly (looking at the voting poll) I see two groups: one group saying that this is the FF Rebel, the other one calling it "the true replacement of the 5D Mark II". Let's start from these two groups.

1) If it is meant to be the FF Rebel: It won't succeed, as I do not think that a Rebel user will ever jump into FF without SEARCHING, READING and COMPARING first. Remember, we're not talking about "smurthphone photographers" or point 'n shoot customers here, jumping squeaking in joy with a bunch o' dollars to burn into the FF segment. We're not even talking about "four X" Canoneers (as in 1000D). We're talking about Canon users with 2-3 years of DSLR experience. And a pretty much GOOD experience, with bodies that used to deliver every bang for all the buck.
At this point, I would insert a group split:
a) Rebelers with non-expensive lenses and
b) Rebelers with expensive lenses.
Group a) won't bite the bait, since they will SEARCH, READ & COMPARE the 6D with D600 and frankly I do not see any reason not to jump ship. I definitely would do it. Group b) won't bite the bait, as I would really doubt that someone with expensive lens would pick a 6D with crippled specs for their "long awaited, yearned for" FF. 

2) If this is meant to be "the true replacement of the 5D Mark II", then this will again fail. Just from the specs alone, most of the current 5D2 users won't see this as an upgrade. We're living in times of crisis, we're living in times of higher expectations from technology. We're living in times of internet, fast information, instant customer feedback, and in times of competition already making better moves. That quick drop in the 5D3  price was a confirmation that something went wrong in those "high level marketing forecasts", "trend analysis" or whatever they call it at Canon's. I would guess the number of 5D2 users saying in March "this new 5D3 has to wait, I won't upgrade right now" was quite larger than Canon initially predicted. As others here already well stated, this would rather push up the sales on the 5D3, but won't do any good in the price segment where 6D wants to position itself.   

So, what the heck is 6D? Well, if no one can bring up some interesting, plausible explanation here, then I'll have to say one word: failure.

Sameer Thawani

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2012, 11:33:21 AM »
6D in one word: Confusing

On an unrelated note, is it really too much to ask for dual card slots, given that Nikon provides it in the $1200 D7000, D300s and all models higher ?

ararock1

« Reply #145 on: September 18, 2012, 01:05:46 PM »
disappointed. To a certain degree...Canon should have put the 7D autofocus system in the 6D. CF slots, or dual CF/SD and New sensor with 20MP or down to 18MP, Joystick control, 1/8000 top shutter, an M-Fn button, I was basically hoping for a full frame 7D.  but then again this would have been an issue with the 5D mark III owners most likely....but ultimately until I use the camera in my hands and see how well it handles, I cannot make a decision either way on how much i will like the image files or the camera itself. I would maybe use it as a second body or back up. One interesting note is that it can autofocus at the center point down to -3 EV. I am with most of you as I am not sure how quickly some people will upgrade to this fullframe from a rebel or 5D mark II. I own the 7D and the 5D mark ii and I am looking to upgrade to the 5d Mark III and eventually pick up a 1d mark III or Mark IV for a second body for sports.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #146 on: September 18, 2012, 01:11:30 PM »
The new Canon Eos PoopD series camera. We have a lot of exciting features no one uses right now but this is the future! State of the art nothing. All the focus system features of the failed 5d / 5dm2 with a much improved center point only focussing allowing center point only shooting to be brought to the next ev in performance that has ever been achieved, -3ev! Wow you guys wont believe it! maybe the 6dm3 will actually have multiple cross point focus system but we will have to decide later.  8)
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2012, 07:54:54 PM »
I have a 5DMkII and I am thinking 5DIII mainly for the focusing system, silent shooting and the increased speed. The idea of 6D makes me laugh! (anyway I have already stated my 1 word for 6D: joke!). Of course, if it was much cheaper it might appeal to Rebel users.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2012, 07:54:54 PM »

Phenix205

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2012, 08:50:49 PM »
Lots of Rebel users own at least two to three EF-S lenses which cannot be used on 6D. So expect to spend more money.
5D3 | M | 1v
70-200 II | 24-70 II | 16-35 IS | 100 L | 85L II | 40 | 600EX-RT

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2012, 09:39:04 PM »
Below is from 6D preview summary page from dpreview  :-\ :

Overall, though, it's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark. It's still bound to be a very good camera, of course; just perhaps not quite as good as it could be.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/6

Couldn't have said it better. Canon of late seems to be trying to get away with giving us as little as possible. I really don't understand it. If I were in charge of Canon I would be trying to tack on as much as possible to keep my customers happy within all price ranges.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2012, 09:39:04 PM »