December 21, 2014, 11:56:06 AM

Author Topic: Canon Announces the Canon EOS 6D DSLR  (Read 41076 times)

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Announces the Canon EOS 6D DSLR
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 07:34:16 AM »
DP-Review are not happy about it.  :(

Quote: "Overall, though, it's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark."

Source: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 07:34:16 AM »

macrodust

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 07:34:31 AM »
At least they had sense to put AFMA in it...
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 7D | EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS | EF 135mm f/2L | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake | EF 28mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

bradleyg5

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 07:38:35 AM »
I can't believe they had the gall to charge more than the Nikon D600. Canon's pricing is downright insulting lately.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 07:39:43 AM »
Does Canon know how badly it has delivered with the 6D?

Will we have to wait 3 to 4 years for it to be replaced with something that might be worthwhile?

Or will Canon wake up and deliver a replacement in 12 to 18 months?

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 07:47:36 AM »
How much did you think a FF 7d would cost. it would be combining a 7D (about 2200 on release) and a 5D2 (about 3000 on release)...it costs about US3000/3600AUD and its name is a 5D3. The camera does 100,000 shots, so its not meant for pros, who would actually be able to use a FF7D to its potential. Stop you're whinging or start you're saving. I agree that Canon just got beat on paper by the D600, but lets see some samples before final judgements are delivered.
The 6D could have easily have had 2SD slots & a had a 7D style focus system for $2200 if they pulled out GPS & wifi. No one was asking for a miracle, just 9-19 cross type focus points so we could use something other than the center, and maybe a high precision dual cross type like the 7D for the center. No where near what the 5D III can do. Nikon managed this, and a flash, for under $2100. Plus, in sample images, that is where the Nikon sensor normally shines with better DR and low noise. The 5DIII vs the D800 proved that. I'd still take the 5DIII for a wedding camera any day over the D800 for the focus system, more manageable file sizes, and speed, but nothing beats a D800 image, especially at ISO 100-800.

hmmm

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 07:51:15 AM »
zheesh and only a 3.0 inch LCD...   and no headphone jack...

I was thinking that the scenario that would drive me to Nikon as I transition to FF would be Nikon producing a great intro FF camera, and Canon producing a dumbed down overpriced FF competitor.   Well, that scenario has happened.

I haven't made a final decision, but now I'm definitely leaning to switching over.   This from a Canonite since the Elan 7E!   Oh well... time marches on...

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 07:52:32 AM »
How does it compare to these  :P

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d600/sample.htm

The only way that canon can ''get away with it'' is to have better IQ than D600; not equal .... BETTER. Judging by those samples is very, very hard to believe.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 07:52:32 AM »

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 07:58:56 AM »
It's basically a crippled 5D II with wifi and gps. No microfocus, only 1/4000 shutter speed. They could have at least thrown in a built in flash to appeal to casual photographers. Thanks Canon, at least my 5DII won't lose it's value! It is still the best, low cost full frame Canon out there.

I'm glad I bought a 5D III from the Adorama eBay deal.
Where did you see the no AFMA? Other than that I can deal with the other stuff.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8 Canon 70-200 f4 L, Canon 70-200 IS II L, Canon 600 EX-RT, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 08:01:47 AM »

Quote: "Overall, though, it's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark."

DPReview's summary is spot on.  The fact is that Canon's probably right that the target audience won't need a fancy AF system, fast continuous burst rate, dual card slots or a 100% viewfinder... But, the main competition is offering these features for the same price and with APS-C upgrader needing to realign their lens collections, the temptation to switch is there. 

I can see the price of used 5D MkIIs staying high after this announcement, but perhaps there will be a glut of EF-S lenses on the market and a shortage of Nikkors!

So far, this looks like a very weak offer from Canon -and why have they bothered developing a new 20.2MP sensor, when they already have 18MP and 22MP sensors that are less than a year old?

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 08:02:44 AM »

I was thinking that the scenario that would drive me to Nikon as I transition to FF would be Nikon producing a great intro FF camera, and Canon producing a dumbed down overpriced FF competitor.   Well, that scenario has happened.

I haven't made a final decision, but now I'm definitely leaning to switching over.   This from a Canonite since the Elan 7E!   Oh well... time marches on...
You go right ahead and switch.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8 Canon 70-200 f4 L, Canon 70-200 IS II L, Canon 600 EX-RT, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 08:06:38 AM »

You go right ahead and switch.
+1

Everyone who can should make the switch.

It is a bit harder for the ones of us who owns a large collection of Canon-glass + accessories.

Gert Arijs

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 08:07:14 AM »
I do not understand why most people here think it's bad? It does have AFMA (same AFMA as 5D3, with different MA for wide and tele with zooms). It'll be very good in high ISO's, and have better AF than 5D2. It's very light and a lot less expensive than 5D2 at the time of release. It's not meant as a replacement for a 5D3, it's meant as a modern alternative for a 5D2. The price will drop anyway. AF-points could have been more, but then they would end up with a bigger body and Canon chose not to.
I do not see much point in comparing this with the Nikon D600 as that's a Nikon :-). I don't change brands because something else can give me 'more' for the same money. In that case, everyone with a crop would buy the new Pentax K5-II, isn't it?
Gert
5D3, 7D and old 1Ds3. Gitzo with Markins.
Www.gertarijs.be

wockawocka

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 08:10:05 AM »
If you want a nice camera, pay for it.

If you can't afford it, don't bitch about how Canon sold you short or how they should do something like a D600.

Another $1000 and you have a 5D3, get a job, earn some more, save some money and buy what you want rather than hope a manufacturer will give you something for nothing.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 08:10:05 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 08:11:23 AM »
So far, this looks like a very weak offer from Canon -and why have they bothered developing a new 20.2MP sensor, when they already have 18MP and 22MP sensors that are less than a year old?

Canon's lesson from the 1Ds3/5D2 having the same sensor resolution (but huge price difference) is that the one with the lesser price will steal sales from the more expensive one.

Thus the 6D was not allowed to have the same megapixels (or more) than the 5D3.

Whereas Nikon now has 24MP for full frame (D600) and APS-C (D3200). The D3200 isn't even their top of the line APS-C DSLR.

DB

Re: Canon Announced the Canon EOS 6D DSLR
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 08:11:30 AM »
the specs list??? it have AFMA??????????????????????????????

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/

looool shutter speed 1/4000 :(((((((

Why? You don't need 1/8000s for VIDEO work

Very funny to hear that the 6D have only a SD-card-slot.
If you have a 7D or a 5D Mark II and you have invest in very expensive and fast CF-Cards you cannot switch to the 6D or you burn a lot of money.
Canon. You loose a lot of customers if you donĀ“t change your product policy.
Yep, this absolutely should have had 1CF & 1SD, dual SD, or at least 1 CF if they were only going to have 1 card slot. And without cards being 100% reliable, I try to use dual slots for any professional work. Guess i'll never use this camera as a main body.

Why do you need a CF slot or more than 1 memory card slot? A 64Gb SDXC card costs a hundred bucks and is perfect for VIDEO. Anyway all existing REBEL owners already have SD memory cards.

I can't believe they had the gall to charge more than the Nikon D600. Canon's pricing is downright insulting lately.

All VIDEO cameras cost more than straight photo ones, just look at 1Dc or C300 or C100??

I bet you any money that EOSHD will be very happy with the 6D, finally a DSLR to give the 'cracked-GH2' a run for its money!

Does Canon know how badly it has delivered with the 6D?

Will we have to wait 3 to 4 years for it to be replaced with something that might be worthwhile?

Or will Canon wake up and deliver a replacement in 12 to 18 months?

The EOS 6D will outsell the 7D...period. It will become one of Canon's biggest selling digital  interchangeable lens cameras of all time

The external audio recorder that the 6D owner will be using already has a headphone jack (no videographer uses the internal mic other than to sync up audio with video in post)

The NIKON D600 will not produce VIDEO @ ISO 12800 anywhere near as good as the EOS 6D (look at the samples already on Canon USA site)

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Canon Announced the Canon EOS 6D DSLR
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 08:11:30 AM »