October 20, 2014, 06:08:19 PM

Author Topic: Canon Announces the Canon EOS 6D DSLR  (Read 38943 times)

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
Re: Canon Announces the Canon EOS 6D DSLR
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2012, 10:13:28 AM »
Well the low rent autofocus system and a top shutter speed less than my current 50D have put my wallet right back in my pocket.  I have $2,600 burning a hole in my pocket and I don't think this camera is worth what they are asking.  It really looks like they took out as much stuff as possible and hope the "full frame" would sell it.  Disappointment.  In another 6 months I'll be able to afford a 5D3.  I think that is the way to go
Could of just about had one yesterday as they were selling the mark iii for $2750 on Adorama's ebay page.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2012, 10:13:28 AM »

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2012, 10:13:51 AM »
Either way it's going to sell like hotcakes.

To whom, exactly?

n00bs, students, parents?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:16:24 AM by iso79 »
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

extremeinstability

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Instability.com
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2012, 10:25:44 AM »

Buy a used 5DII and wait for reviews on the new gear, take your time

Yeah I think that is the most sensible route and no wait involved there either.  I always forget one can later sell these things, if they don't mess them up too bad.  I wish all I shot were daylight things with good lighting.  I just shoot too many things that like higher ISOs, like say Auroras, Milky Way or moon-lit scenes, even night storm structure can be helped tremendously by ISO'ing up(given no real bright bolts obviously).  I owned a 5D II for half a year or so and rented a 5D III and shot the Milky Way with it and whatnot.  The noise pattern compared to the crops is just so much nicer and fine.  I wish the review sites on their raw samples had the color noise removed for comparison.  Hard to really tell what you have to work with when something so easily removed is left on those samples.  But anyway, the 5D II and 5D III I found so so similar in noise, but with the 5D III trying to edge its way ahead up in the 5000+ stuff, which playing with the Milky Way or whatever can be fun.  And just now I see the listed specs of the D600 don't even go to the 5D III or this D6, so it sorta makes me wonder if that slight edge up in real high ISO even happens with it anyway.  I'm often far too willing to "split hairs" too much lol.  It makes one kinda realize just how big a jump that 5D II sensor was and as much as it hangs out now in the high ISO noise arena(especially if you remove the color noise in the RAW converter and compare that way).  It's just hard to ignore the better spec option now "out" in what for some is a used area.  To hell with patience till December over it however.  Will be a 5D II owner again tomorrow, go Canon lol. 

fabpitou75

« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2012, 10:29:20 AM »
D600 center focus point sensitivity is -1EV
6D center focus point sensitivity is -3EV (-2EV for 5dmk3).
I think it does make sense to wait and see how the AF performs (in-depth reviews) before drawing any conclusions.

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2012, 10:29:51 AM »

To whom, exactly?

Just because somebody buys doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing. A body is only one piece in a whole ecosystem. The GPS and Wifi might be nice to have integrated and you can complain all you want about the specs but it's not really that bad. There's a couple things that would of been nice to have but I'm sure this camera will take some great pictures.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

wockawocka

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2012, 10:32:46 AM »
If you want a nice camera, pay for it.

If you can't afford it, don't bitch about how Canon sold you short or how they should do something like a D600.

Another $1000 and you have a 5D3, get a job, earn some more, save some money and buy what you want rather than hope a manufacturer will give you something for nothing.

Wow, what a condescending post!  You sir, are an asshole.  I have had nothing but great experiences on this board until this whole 6D thing... and for some reason it's brought out the assholes.

I have a job... a really great one where I make plenty of money (and work hard for it).  Photography for me (and a lot of people including the main people the 6D and D600 are aimed at) is a HOBBY.  As such there are other places in our lives where we put money other than camera gear... and an enthusiast is always smart to shop for the best deal they can get with their dollars.  That's what allows them to continue their hobby while keeping a balance with the rest of their lives.

Could I buy a MKIII? Absolutely!  Do I need a MKIII?  No.  If I am spending $2000 (which is a decent sum for a hobby) do I want the best camera I can get?  Yes!  Is that best camera a D600?  That is looking likely.

This is nothing personal.  I'm not advocating that everyone jumps to Nikon or anything like that.  But Canon does need to understand that the hobbyist is willing to leave for a better ship.  I don't take change like this lightly, but when the facts are staring you in the face and you have to decide where to put your money... You cannot deny that the D600 offers MUCH more for the same price.

I'm not going anywhere just yet.  I'm going to wait for the real reviews and make an informed decision... but right now it's not looking good.

Please get off your high horse and try to understand why the rest of us are dissappointed n this announcement...

+1, well said

You know in the mainstream all I see whenever a new body is realeased are people complaining about what it doesn't have. Like they're owed something by any one manufacturer, like anyone here actually cares about Canon as a company or that they actually care what the armchair commentators with no industry experience think.

People only care about them in hope that they will continue to support and deliver a decent product. If there was a clear advantage over any one system people would leave to go to that. There is no loyalty with consumers over a product. None whatsoever. I for one am sick and tired of people saying Canon had better sort themselves out or..or..or what exactly?

So what if it only has one cross type sensor. Who cares really? Why would anyone care other than they're invested in Canon glass and will lose money to switch. All completely selfish motives.

Peoples expectations are way too high. Canon doesn't care about you guys. They care about the bottom line. They want you to either upgrade from your crop sensor to full frame and your glass as a consequence (hey, they'd love you to have two bodies) but at the same time they don't want to piss off the pro's by giving you something too close to their pro product.

It isn't a pissing contest between two manufacturers. Canon really doesn't care about what Nikon does. If they did they would of delivered more. Nikon are the company eating their own young by confusing the marketplace and having lots of crossovers between bodies with cameras that don't even work properly, the D800 focus system and the exploding batteries for two.

Don't get me started on the light leak issue which showed up on the 5D3 when you took a shot of your lens cap. The Hoo Ha over that was unbelievable. Calls for Canon Executives to by burned at the stake when in reality it harmed no-ones photographic output at all.

Any of these cameras out today are mindblowingly good. The 5D2 and 1Ds3 still take amazing pictures, they can be had cheaper / same price as the 6D and readily available. The 6D 'might' be out in December. Christ people are complaining about the release date too!

10-14 years ago we had film. Canon have delivered time and time again from the Eos-1V to the 1DX. I wish people would stop complaining about little things and go out and take some damn pictures instead. Actually use the cameras.

If a new release doesn't have the features you want, expect to buy a different body which has them. Canon will never cannibalise the pro segment to satisfy the consumer level products. Nikon might, Canon won't.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:40:58 AM by wockawocka »
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2012, 10:34:23 AM »

To whom, exactly?

Just because somebody buys doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing. A body is only one piece in a whole ecosystem. The GPS and Wifi might be nice to have integrated and you can complain all you want about the specs but it's not really that bad. There's a couple things that would of been nice to have but I'm sure this camera will take some great pictures.

Exactly. Most gearheads bitching and whining about the specs don't know how to take good pictures let alone know how to shoot in manual.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:36:25 AM by iso79 »
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2012, 10:34:23 AM »

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2012, 10:37:45 AM »

If you can't afford it, don't bitch about how Canon sold you short or how they should do something like a D600.

Another $1000 and you have a 5D3, get a job, earn some more, save some money and buy what you want rather than hope a manufacturer will give you something for nothing.

Wow, what a condescending post!  You sir, are an asshole.  I have had nothing but great experiences on this board until this whole 6D thing... and for some reason it's brought out the assholes.

I have a job... a really great one where I make plenty of money (and work hard for it).  Photography for me (and a lot of people including the main people the 6D and D600 are aimed at) is a HOBBY.  As such there are other places in our lives where we put money other than camera gear... and an enthusiast is always smart to shop for the best deal they can get with their dollars.  That's what allows them to continue their hobby while keeping a balance with the rest of their lives.

Could I buy a MKIII? Absolutely!  Do I need a MKIII?  No.  If I am spending $2000 (which is a decent sum for a hobby) do I want the best camera I can get?  Yes!  Is that best camera a D600?  That is looking likely.

This is nothing personal.  I'm not advocating that everyone jumps to Nikon or anything like that.  But Canon does need to understand that the hobbyist is willing to leave for a better ship.  I don't take change like this lightly, but when the facts are staring you in the face and you have to decide where to put your money... You cannot deny that the D600 offers MUCH more for the same price.

I'm not going anywhere just yet.  I'm going to wait for the real reviews and make an informed decision... but right now it's not looking good.

Please get off your high horse and try to understand why the rest of us are dissappointed n this announcement...

+1, well said

You know in the mainstream all I see whenever a new body is realeased are people complaining about what it doesn't have. Like they're owed something by any one manufacturer, like anyone here actually cares about Canon as a company or that they actually care what the armchair commentators with no industry experience think.

People only care about them in hope that they will continue to support and deliver a decent product. If there was a clear advantage over any one system people would leave to go to that. There is no loyalty with consumers over a product. none whatsoever. I for one am sick and tired of people saying Canon had better sort themselves out or..or..or what exactly?

So what if it only has one cross type sensor. Who cares really? Why would anyone care other than they're invested in Canon glass and will lose money to switch. All completely selfish motives.

Peoples expectations are way too high. Canon doesn't care about you guys. They care about the bottom line. They want you to either upgrade from your crop sensor to full frame and your glass as a consequence (hey, they'd love you to have two bodies) but at the same time they don't want to piss off the pro's by giving you something to close to their pro product.

It isn't a pissing contest between two manufacturers. Canon really doesn't care about what Nikon does. If they did they would of delivered more. Nikon are the company eating their own young by confusing the marketplace and having lots of crossovers between bodies with cameras that don't even work properly.

Don't get me started on the light leak issue....

Any of these cameras out today are mindblowingly good. The 5D2 and 1Ds3 still take amazing pictures, they can be had cheaper / same price as the 6D and readily available. The 6D 'might' be out in December. Christ people are complaining about the release date too!

10-14 years ago we had film. Canon have delivered time and time again from the Eos-1V to the 1DX. I wish people would stop complaining about little things and go out and take some damn pictures instead. Actually use the cameras.

If a new release doesn't have the features you want, expect to buy a different body which has them. Canon will never cannibalise the pro segment to satisfy the consumer level products. Nikon might, Canon won't.

+ ∞
this, this so much. I love you.

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2012, 10:45:11 AM »

+1, well said

People only care about them in hope that they will continue to support and deliver a decent product. If there was a clear advantage over any one system people would leave to go to that. There is no loyalty with consumers over a product. none whatsoever. I for one am sick and tired of people saying Canon had better sort themselves out or..or..or what exactly?

Peoples expectations are way too high. Canon doesn't care about you guys. They care about the bottom line. They want you to either upgrade from your crop sensor to full frame and your glass as a consequence (hey, they'd love you to have two bodies) but at the same time they don't want to piss off the pro's by giving you something to close to their pro product.

It isn't a pissing contest between two manufacturers. Canon really doesn't care about what Nikon does. If they did they would of delivered more. Nikon are the company eating their own young by confusing the marketplace and having lots of crossovers between bodies with cameras that don't even work properly.

Don't get me started on the light leak issue....

+ ∞
this, this so much. I love you.
+ infinity squared.

st3mpy

« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2012, 10:45:49 AM »
I'm reading the complaints, and it seems that people are upset Canon actually relies on the user to create a photograph.

"Trying to breathe new life into the old focus & recompose technique?   "

Really?  That's like being upset because you bought a car without auto-parking. "Trying to breathe new life into the old parallel parking technique".

I swear, some of you want focusing technique to go the way of exposure: and that is to take the technique completely out of the equation. 

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2012, 10:48:47 AM »

To whom, exactly?

Exactly. Most gearheads bitching and whining about the specs don't know how to take good pictures let alone know how to shoot in manual.

And just like that... boom, there it goes...  people complain or criticize about product and someone just has to go to the personal attack with the same typical defensive response... "I think it's good and I'm awesome so anyone who disagrees must be a gearhead and doesn't know how to take a good picture anyway"... 

Ryan_W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2012, 10:52:08 AM »
I'm reading the complaints, and it seems that people are upset Canon actually relies on the user to create a photograph.

"Trying to breathe new life into the old focus & recompose technique?   "

Really?  That's like being upset because you bought a car without auto-parking. "Trying to breathe new life into the old parallel parking technique".

I swear, some of you want focusing technique to go the way of exposure: and that is to take the technique completely out of the equation.

You mean you have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy!
Wild Gunman scene in Back to the future II, 80s cafe

mystic_theory

« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2012, 10:54:25 AM »
Kudos to Canon! (Assuming the sensor is really new and has better DR than the 5D MIII as it should to keep up with the competition.)

I have to admit that I thought all these specs floating around were just a stunt to avoid a collective depression in the Canon community.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2012, 10:54:25 AM »

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2012, 10:57:31 AM »
D600 center focus point sensitivity is -1EV
6D center focus point sensitivity is -3EV (-2EV for 5dmk3).
I think it does make sense to wait and see how the AF performs (in-depth reviews) before drawing any conclusions.

That part caught my eye too.  I'm really interested in seeing some trusted reviews.  If this has some crazy next-gen AF sensor, something that can finally keep up with the crazy high ISOs modern sensors are pulling off, we may all be surprised at it's performance.

I would be astounded if the AF is worse than the 9 cross AF on the 60D, and it would be downright stupid of Canon to release something like that in a $2k camera.  If it's at least as good as 60D, I'll probably buy one.  If not, I'll raid the kids piggy banks and get the 5DIII.

daveheinzel

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • daveheinzel.com
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2012, 11:00:40 AM »
I might be the only one who actually wants this camera. I currently have a 7D and 60D, shoot a mix of subjects (portraits, sports, landscape) for both paid work and for fun, and I take a lot of video with both cameras.

I use the 7D for football with my telephoto zoom and have my 10-22 on the 60D for crowd and close-range photos, which the 6D would be better for (I have the 17-40, which would work, although it's slow). I only use the center AF point, possibly a holdover from my early SLR days. But I'm not overly concerned with "only" 11 AF points.

I've never owned a full-frame (unless you count the EOS 3 film camera), and this seems like a logical step up. I could sell the 60D and 10-22 and be more than halfway to the cost of the 6D. The 5Diii would be ideal, but it's just out of my price range. And if I managed to save up that kind of money, I have a million other things in real life where I should put that money first.

So, yeah. This should be a no-brainer. But for some reason, I already have premature buyers' remorse. And the thing isn't even out yet. Good thing I am forced to sleep on it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:02:37 AM by daveheinzel »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2012, 11:00:40 AM »