December 22, 2014, 05:11:48 AM

Author Topic: Canon Announces the Canon EOS 6D DSLR  (Read 41127 times)

etg9

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Announces the Canon EOS 6D DSLR
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2012, 11:04:14 AM »
I own a 5D III and think it's really great. This, IMHO, is a horrible release. It looks video oriented but does really even pull that off. I'm not sure who they think is going to buy this as an entry level full frame (changing lenses anyway) over the D600.

B&H Prices right now:
Canon 6D + 24-70 II = $4400
Nikon D600 + 24-70 = $3985

is there anything the canon will do that is worth $415 to a normal consumer? from the samples so far the D600 has really excellent low light capabilities and the ISO handling looks quite nice. I don't understand what the appeal is for the 6D.

Specs should have been:
22MP (5D3)
45pt AF system (old 1 series) or the 7D system reworked for full frame
cropped 96-97% view finder
built in flash
4 fps
1 x CF card
lesser build quality than 5D3

It also starts shipping in 2 days as opposed to 2 months and knowing Canon's track record might miss Christmas.  I told someone yesterday who is looking for a camera for this fall to go with a D600 as I feel it's just a step below my 5D3 while costing way less. As a consumer (I have no vested interest in Canon) I want to see these companies fight to put out the best cameras possible as we are the ones who really get the best out of it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2012, 11:04:14 AM »

Caps18

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »
I wish my 5Dm2 had built in GPS...  That is the only feature that I would like. 

Other than that, it doesn't look that bad, and would probably be the camera I would buy if I had to replace my 5Dm2.
5D mark 2, 16-35mm f/2.8, 17mm TS-E f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4 + 1.4x, 580 EX Flash

chadders

« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »
Either way it's going to sell like hotcakes.

To whom, exactly?

n00bs, students, parents?

Just because somebody buys doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing. A body is only one piece in a whole ecosystem. The GPS and Wifi might be nice to have integrated and you can complain all you want about the specs but it's not really that bad. There's a couple things that would of been nice to have but I'm sure this camera will take some great pictures.

And that's it in a nutshell!

As an impartial observer, I'm wondering just who are the people doing most of the complaining?
5D MkIII users, I don't really understand those users bitching. After all they are definitely not the target buyers for this camera? Maybe they are annoyed about the built in WiFi and GPS, not being on the MkIII?
Is it current 7D users, disappointed that this isn't the 7D2 they were hoping/expecting?
Is it current 5DMkII users who can't afford a MkIII? They may well have some legitimate cause to comment negatively.

Or are a large number Nikon "trolls", always happy to have a go at Canon?

The fact remains that the people likely to use this camera will neither be pros or semi-pros, and it ought to be accepted that this camera is not for them. They are are, of course, perfectly able to express an opinion re the shortcomings regarding Canon's pricing and design philosphy and the debate is all the more interesting for that.
However, to damn a camera on the basis of it's perceived lack of, or perceived poor features, is a bit premature since nobody has yet had their hands an one to write a review.

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »
Either way it's going to sell like hotcakes.

To whom, exactly?

n00bs, students, parents?

Just because somebody buys doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing. A body is only one piece in a whole ecosystem. The GPS and Wifi might be nice to have integrated and you can complain all you want about the specs but it's not really that bad. There's a couple things that would of been nice to have but I'm sure this camera will take some great pictures.

Exactly. Most gearheads bitching and whining about the specs don't know how to take good pictures let alone know how to shoot in manual.

And just like that... boom, there it goes...  people complain or criticize about product and someone just has to go to the personal attack with the same typical defensive response... "I think it's good and I'm awesome so anyone who disagrees must be a gearhead and doesn't know how to take a good picture anyway"...

Well it's usually the case. I've run into too many gearheads who own all the latest gear, every single L lens, but when you ask them to shoot in manual and properly expose a photo, they scratch their heads. There's too much negativity on the Internet.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

wockawocka

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2012, 11:23:05 AM »
I shoot 50 weddings a year and shoot them entirely in manual mode.

The only thing the 6D announcement did was make me wonder why my 1DX didn't get the wifi and GPS treatment, that would of been great for my high end shoots.

Then again, how good is the wifi, it could be really slow.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:33:50 AM by wockawocka »
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2012, 11:28:16 AM »
To both camps on whether or not this is a good camera:   Yes it is.  No question about that.

To both camps on whether it should have more or better features:    Hard to say, it has to find a happy middle ground between the bodies above and below it in the line up.

To both camps on whether Canon made a big mistake and will lose customers:  Hard to say, if anyone doesn't like this body there are other bodies above and below it in the line.  Canon is not betting the farm on this body.

The question to me is what market segment is this body targeted to given the specs and price.   It's a great camera that provides a FF sensor to anyone who doesn't need/want better AF, speed, sealing, durability, etc. etc.  But who are those people and how big is that market.  It's certainly not targeted at pros and it might be too expensive as a step up for anyone looking at a Rebel.

If this body was priced at or below $1500 then the specs start to make sense... enough potential Rebel customers will be tempted by it.  But honestly, the vast majority of average camera consumers who would normally be looking at Rebels don't know the differences between APS-C and FF... so how many of them are going to plunk down $2k for this body over a 60D for $900?

Eiremon

« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
I am an amateur photographer who started with Canon about 10 years ago.  I have owned the 10D, 20D, 30D, 50D, 7D and now the 5D MkII.  I have often upgraded over the years - some of the upgrades were less critical than others but I always felt I was getting some value in the upgrade.  I did not purchase the MkII until I got it for under $2k new.  I am very keen on the MkIII but can't justify it at this time.  I would be more than ready to spend $2-$2.5k on a respectable 5D MkII upgrade which would give me a better AF system.  I refuse to throw money at something like the 6D which is clearly dumbed down from what could have been offered.  Especially considering what Nikon is offering. 

I like my Canon kit and can get really nice results with my current lens / body combo.  Starting new I would most likely choose Nikon as I think they tend to hold back less than Canon and therefore offer better value.

My point - I would be willing to give Canon my $$$ on a respectable upgrade to the 5D MkII but I see not a reason to at this time.  Their appear to be overthinking their product strategy while their competitors are giving users more for less.  At this stage I will most likely end up with a used 5D MkIII - maybe bought from someone switching to Nikon - and Canon will have a) lost my upgrade money and b) lost a customer to Nikon.  Not exactly what they are aiming for I assume...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
Where did you see the no AFMA? Other than that I can deal with the other stuff.

So has anyone CONFIRMED that there is no MFA or are we just playing chicken little?

The 6D does have AFMA.  From the Canon USA EOS 6D page, Features section, in the description of the 11-pt AF system:

"For even more customization, adjustment levels for the wide-angle and telephoto ends of particular lenses can be entered and recorded into the camera’s memory."

So...yes to AFMA, and yes to W and T adjustments for zooms, like the 5DIII and 1D X. 

But IMO, other than the -3 EV center point for low light shooting, there are really no redeeming characteristics of this AF system specification.  Point spread no better than the 5DII, two more selectable points but four fewer points in terms of Servo tracking (which wasn't the 5DII's strong point anyway). Sure, the -3 EV is nice, but not salvation by any means given the frequency most users shoot in light that low (my 5DII, spec'd to -0.5 EV, could AF in light that needed ISO 25600).

Only one cross-type sensor, and that one not even a dual cross.

Now that the 60D's 9 cross-type AF with center f/2.8 dual cross has trickled down to the T4i/650D, IMO the Rebel line has a better AF system than the 6D.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2012, 11:40:33 AM »
I shoot 50 weddings a year and shoot them entirely in manual mode.

The only thing the 6D announcement did was make me wonder why my 1DX didn't get the wifi and GPS treatment, that would of been great for my high end shoots.

Then again, how good is the wifi, it could be really slow.

I've never used WiFi but the usual assessment is it's too slow if you shoot RAW to be of much practical use.

I'm not sure how well WiFi, GPS, or a build wireless flash transmitter (DarkNightNine suggested this in another thread) would work through the full magnesium frame of a 1DX.

Gothmoth

« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2012, 11:43:36 AM »
Well it's usually the case. I've run into too many gearheads who own all the latest gear, every single L lens, but when you ask them to shoot in manual and properly expose a photo, they scratch their heads. There's too much negativity on the Internet.

yawn ... why you you come to a gear website then?   ::)
there are a lot of photograhpy focused forums on the net!

this website is about GEAR TALK....  so what?

and yes, when longtime canon users see better deals from nikon... they tend to be upset and they complain.

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2012, 11:49:21 AM »
I own a 5D III and think it's really great. This, IMHO, is a horrible release. It looks video oriented but does really even pull that off. I'm not sure who they think is going to buy this as an entry level full frame (changing lenses anyway) over the D600.

B&H Prices right now:
Canon 6D + 24-70 II = $4400
Nikon D600 + 24-70 = $3985

Are you seriously comparing the Nikon and Canon 24-70s? Who will pay the $400 difference? Sign me up for one. Sheesh
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8 Canon 70-200 f4 L, Canon 70-200 IS II L, Canon 600 EX-RT, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

meli

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2012, 11:50:38 AM »
I can't believe they had the gall to charge more than the Nikon D600. Canon's pricing is downright insulting lately.

Canon's pricing policy is pure MARKETING GENIUS....

........any xxD or xxxD owner will aspire to owning a 6D.... the higher initial entry price for the 6D will ensure (listen to the voices on CR over the last 12 hours as proof) that those serious amateur enthusiasts (incl. 7D owners) will now pony up the extra for a 5D3.....

.... meanwhile lots of budding videographers (look at the Canon 6D  Press Release - it mentions 3 categories of user: PHOTOGRAPHERS, VIDEOGRAPHERS & CINEMATOGRAPHERS - 2 out of 3 are video users) will happily pay 2 grand for a FF DSLR video cam with low-light capability as well as compatibility with the new STM lenses

.... read the threads on this forum re. 6D, commentators have polarized into 2 distinct groups:

(1) those who have their credit cards out and cannot wait till October to get their hands on a 6D

&

(2) those who think its awful and the disappointment is enough to finally trigger their 5D3 purchase

As a 7D owner I wouldn't buy a 6D, but I'm glad that Canon has just protected the residual value of my 7D with their inane pricing strategy

I can see that you're out preaching incessantly about how this joke of a camera is somehow worth the investement, but seriously, your posts are choke full of assumptions and missinformation

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2012, 11:51:51 AM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2012, 11:51:51 AM »

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2012, 11:57:45 AM »
With all the negatives people have to say about this camera. One interesting positive is I believe the metering system is the same as the 5d mark iii correct? That could be a nice addition vs my 5d mark ii one.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8 Canon 70-200 f4 L, Canon 70-200 IS II L, Canon 600 EX-RT, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2012, 12:00:21 PM »
It just feels like this camera was more of an attempt to hit a price point without trying to hit features of any other existing Canon camera rather than a model directed at a specific user base.

They avoided competing with the 60D, t4i & 5D3 by lacking live AF from the t4i, no headphone jack like the 5d3 and no tilt screen of the 60D & 4ti, no clean hdmi out, and no dual card slots.

For photography it seems weak as it is lacking a decent AF system (even something like the 7D), no dual card slots, or at least a single pro CF slot if you can only have 1 (such as the 7D), only 3 bracket exposure vs 7 of the 5d3, way slower than the 5d3 or 7D, no flash, no 100% view finder, only 1/4000 max shutter speed, only 1/180 max flash sync, and usb 2.0.

Then it seems that since this resulted in a body to inexpensive, they added gps & wifi which few people need in a DSLR rather than adding back some of the specs they removed to not compete with the other cameras.

It's a camera that seems weak no matter what area of photography you are in:
For sports - too slow and bad focus system, no CF or dual card slots, No 100%VF, no joystick, limited controls
For Wedding/Event - No dual card slot for backup, poor focus system, slow flash sync, No 100%VF, no af joystick
For video - No live AF, no swivel screen, no headphone jack, no clean hdmi, no dual cards for backup or overflow, no silent operation like the 5D3 or D600
For studio/landscape - No 100%VF, No Backup card, only 20MP vs the D600 & D800, limited DR most likely
For Travel/consumer - No popup flash, no card backup, no swivel screen, no live af, no touch screen

What/who is this camera for. This is clearly Canon's attempt to produce a camera without stepping on any other camera's toes.

Instead, the best camera for each item never include the 6D:
For sports - Buy the 1Dx, 7D, or even 5D3 (don't buy a 6D for this ever)
For Wedding/Event - buy the 5D3, 1Dx, then maybe a 7D or 6D (both have some negatives)
For video - Sony A99, 1Dc, 5D3, 1Dx, 60D,  t4i, then maybe a 6D
For studio/landscape - 5D3 or go Nikon because they are the best for this with the D800 & D600
For Travel/consumer - Nikon D600 or 5D3, t4i, then maybe i'd get a 6D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2012, 12:00:21 PM »