April 23, 2014, 04:56:03 AM

Author Topic: Canon Announces the Canon EOS 6D DSLR  (Read 34174 times)

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
Re: Canon Announces the Canon EOS 6D DSLR
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2012, 12:03:26 PM »
I shoot 50 weddings a year and shoot them entirely in manual mode.

The only thing the 6D announcement did was make me wonder why my 1DX didn't get the wifi and GPS treatment, that would of been great for my high end shoots.

Then again, how good is the wifi, it could be really slow.

I've never used WiFi but the usual assessment is it's too slow if you shoot RAW to be of much practical use.

I'm not sure how well WiFi, GPS, or a build wireless flash transmitter (DarkNightNine suggested this in another thread) would work through the full magnesium frame of a 1DX.

A very good point made which I hadn't thought of.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2012, 12:03:26 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2012, 12:07:17 PM »
I'm not sure how well WiFi, GPS, or a build wireless flash transmitter (DarkNightNine suggested this in another thread) would work through the full magnesium frame of a 1DX.
A very good point made which I hadn't thought of.

I've heard this argument, but really, it would be pretty simple for them to run a couple of 'ribbon' antennas outside the magnesium alloy chassis and under the rubberized material.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

CTJohn

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2012, 12:08:07 PM »
As an amateur enthusiast, I moved from the T1i to a 7D over a year ago and love the 7D.  The only reason I've been following this announcement is that I'd like better dynamic range and image quality (not that the 7D is bad.) This camera takes away the on camera flash, which I use to fire two remote 430EXII Speedlites, takes away what's been a great autofocus system on the 7D, and takes away FPS performance.  It gives me GPS (which I never use on my S100) and WiFi, where I still don't understand the value when shooting in RAW.  I don't know about the image quality at this point, but if it's not a major step up, Canon won't be getting my money.  I have 3 L lenses, and the Speedlites, and tons of other Canon gear, so a switch to Nikon probably isn't in the works either.  I hope competition gets Canon producing more complete solutions.

Just disappointed I guess.
EOS 6D * EOS 7D * Powershot S110 * EF 24/105 f/4L * EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L * EF 100 f/2.8L Macro

SwampYankee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2012, 12:14:46 PM »
Well the low rent autofocus system and a top shutter speed less than my current 50D have put my wallet right back in my pocket.  I have $2,600 burning a hole in my pocket and I don't think this camera is worth what they are asking.  It really looks like they took out as much stuff as possible and hope the "full frame" would sell it.  Disappointment.  In another 6 months I'll be able to afford a 5D3.  I think that is the way to go
Could of just about had one yesterday as they were selling the mark iii for $2750 on Adorama's ebay page.
I've heard that in a number of places.  I look at canon price watch daily and I did not see this .  Does Adorama have a separate ebay page?  Do you have a link?  I would have jumped on this but I keep missing these.  Thanks
5DIII | 70-200 IS F4L | 24-105L |50 1.8 I |1002.8L | Tokina 16-28 2.8 |600EX

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2012, 12:18:03 PM »
Does it have Micro Focus adjustment?
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

brianleighty

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2012, 12:22:50 PM »
Well the low rent autofocus system and a top shutter speed less than my current 50D have put my wallet right back in my pocket.  I have $2,600 burning a hole in my pocket and I don't think this camera is worth what they are asking.  It really looks like they took out as much stuff as possible and hope the "full frame" would sell it.  Disappointment.  In another 6 months I'll be able to afford a 5D3.  I think that is the way to go
Could of just about had one yesterday as they were selling the mark iii for $2750 on Adorama's ebay page.
I've heard that in a number of places.  I look at canon price watch daily and I did not see this .  Does Adorama have a separate ebay page?  Do you have a link?  I would have jumped on this but I keep missing these.  Thanks
Slickdeals.net pretty much always has the deals up first. Setup an alert for Canon on there and whenever there's a post they'll email you right away. That's how I got my 5d mark ii and 24 105 for $2400.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

Act444

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2012, 12:52:36 PM »
So much negativity - and there hasn't even been a review or image gallery yet.

To me, this could potentially be an interesting camera. But not at the current asking price. If this comes down a few hundred dollars over the next few months, it may actually be worth a look *IF* the image quality and high ISO performance match that of the 5D III.

As someone who prefers the reach of a "crop" 1.6x camera, if the image quality of FF is truly a step up- it may be something to think about...whether I could potentially have both. But FF cameras are just too expensive...even the most basic ones as we see here today.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:55:38 PM by Act444 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2012, 12:52:36 PM »

DB

« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2012, 12:57:12 PM »
Does it have Micro Focus adjustment?

Yes, the new 6D does have Auto Focus Micro Adjustment, same as the 7D and 5D etc.

htjunkie

« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2012, 01:01:56 PM »
I was eagerly waiting for Canon's entry level FF camera after the uber-expensive 5D III was released. Then we heard about the D600, which got me really excited, and did NOT disappoint. Now, Canon has finally revealed their entry-level FF camera, and they DID disappoint, as well as clearly shown their intentions: continue milking their customers. They created that awful 6D to make sure that anybody serious about photography has no other choice than getting the 5D III. I am a 5D II owner, and the only upgrade path for me would be the 5D III at this point. I can't lose my joystick controller and my side buttons to that aberration of a 6D, right?

Well...screw you Canon. I will simply save up a little longer and get me a D600 with the 24-85mm kit lens, and keep my 5D II + Canon glass. This way I can get the best of both worlds. If Canon ever wakes up and start being competitive again, I can upgrade the 5D II with their new - decent - offering. But for now, will be joining the ranks of the satisfied Nikon shooters, and will be able to use the legendary 14-24mm for my landscapes.

DJD

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2012, 01:06:37 PM »
Children,
If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Cheers,
DJD
7D, 400D, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS USM, Lightroom 4.3

Martin

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »
What the **** is this? A NEW camera....:) funny

Maybe it is time to shut down the canon rumors as there is really nothing exciting about the new gear from Canon.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:20:29 PM by Martin »
5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

Helevitia

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2012, 01:32:02 PM »
Can someone tell me what this means:  63-zone Dual-Level Metering Sensor?

I'm assuming it's to read the amount of light that the camera sees, correct?  Also, how does that play a role with AF since they are bunched together in the specs?  Thanks!

Also, I think wifi and gps are a gimmick.  After 3 months, nobody will use wifi and gps will be used by the minority, IMHO.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:45:09 PM by Helevitia »

brianleighty

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2012, 01:38:59 PM »
So much negativity - and there hasn't even been a review or image gallery yet.

To me, this could potentially be an interesting camera. But not at the current asking price. If this comes down a few hundred dollars over the next few months, it may actually be worth a look *IF* the image quality and high ISO performance match that of the 5D III.

As someone who prefers the reach of a "crop" 1.6x camera, if the image quality of FF is truly a step up- it may be something to think about...whether I could potentially have both. But FF cameras are just too expensive...even the most basic ones as we see here today.
I agree with you there. At $2100 it's not worth it especially if you can get a deal like the other day on the 5D iii ($2750). For $650 more, it's a no brainer. But make it say $850 to $1000 more and then starts getting a little more tempting.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2012, 01:38:59 PM »

Bruce Photography

• Rebel T5i
  • Landscapes, 5D/5D2/5D3,7D,60D,EOS-M,D800/E,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »
Where did you see the no AFMA? Other than that I can deal with the other stuff.

So has anyone CONFIRMED that there is no MFA or are we just playing chicken little?

The 6D does have AFMA.  From the Canon USA EOS 6D page, Features section, in the description of the 11-pt AF system:

"For even more customization, adjustment levels for the wide-angle and telephoto ends of particular lenses can be entered and recorded into the camera’s memory."

So...yes to AFMA, and yes to W and T adjustments for zooms, like the 5DIII and 1D X. 

But IMO, other than the -3 EV center point for low light shooting, there are really no redeeming characteristics of this AF system specification.  Point spread no better than the 5DII, two more selectable points but four fewer points in terms of Servo tracking (which wasn't the 5DII's strong point anyway). Sure, the -3 EV is nice, but not salvation by any means given the frequency most users shoot in light that low (my 5DII, spec'd to -0.5 EV, could AF in light that needed ISO 25600).

Only one cross-type sensor, and that one not even a dual cross.

Now that the 60D's 9 cross-type AF with center f/2.8 dual cross has trickled down to the T4i/650D, IMO the Rebel line has a better AF system than the 6D.

+1.  Thank You for being detailed enough to find that Microadjust statement.  I was just reading features on DPR and the announcement and I didn't see it.  Thank you again.  By the way, I do love my 60D and the tiltable screen.  If they got rid of the left buttons why didn't they incorporate a tilt screen?  It is a consumer feature like gps and wireless connect my our phones.  If this is their answer to "way cool" why not the tilt screen?

borner

« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2012, 01:43:27 PM »
I was eagerly waiting for Canon's entry level FF camera after the uber-expensive 5D III was released. Then we heard about the D600, which got me really excited, and did NOT disappoint. Now, Canon has finally revealed their entry-level FF camera, and they DID disappoint, as well as clearly shown their intentions: continue milking their customers. They created that awful 6D to make sure that anybody serious about photography has no other choice than getting the 5D III. I am a 5D II owner, and the only upgrade path for me would be the 5D III at this point. I can't lose my joystick controller and my side buttons to that aberration of a 6D, right?

Well...screw you Canon. I will simply save up a little longer and get me a D600 with the 24-85mm kit lens, and keep my 5D II + Canon glass. This way I can get the best of both worlds. If Canon ever wakes up and start being competitive again, I can upgrade the 5D II with their new - decent - offering. But for now, will be joining the ranks of the satisfied Nikon shooters, and will be able to use the legendary 14-24mm for my landscapes.

I'm with you - 5DmkI, and 5dMkII owner. LOTS of L glass. The trend that last few years for Canon is sad. I'm seriously considering the D600 or D800 and getting into the Nikon camp. Right now they have much better value IMHO. Canon clearly has an inflated sense of brand. Many of the faithful will stay loyal, as they do with Apple. But many others will jump ship. And I don't think they'll attract the fence straddlers and newcomers w/o adjusting their market approach. Just my $.02.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2012, 01:43:27 PM »