December 02, 2016, 05:56:44 PM

Author Topic: Canon Announces the Canon EOS 6D DSLR  (Read 58251 times)

Act444

• 5D Mark III
Re: Canon Announces the Canon EOS 6D DSLR
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2012, 12:52:36 PM »
So much negativity - and there hasn't even been a review or image gallery yet.

To me, this could potentially be an interesting camera. But not at the current asking price. If this comes down a few hundred dollars over the next few months, it may actually be worth a look *IF* the image quality and high ISO performance match that of the 5D III.

As someone who prefers the reach of a "crop" 1.6x camera, if the image quality of FF is truly a step up- it may be something to think about...whether I could potentially have both. But FF cameras are just too expensive...even the most basic ones as we see here today.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:55:38 PM by Act444 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2012, 12:52:36 PM »

DB

« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2012, 12:57:12 PM »
Does it have Micro Focus adjustment?

Yes, the new 6D does have Auto Focus Micro Adjustment, same as the 7D and 5D etc.

htjunkie

« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2012, 01:01:56 PM »
I was eagerly waiting for Canon's entry level FF camera after the uber-expensive 5D III was released. Then we heard about the D600, which got me really excited, and did NOT disappoint. Now, Canon has finally revealed their entry-level FF camera, and they DID disappoint, as well as clearly shown their intentions: continue milking their customers. They created that awful 6D to make sure that anybody serious about photography has no other choice than getting the 5D III. I am a 5D II owner, and the only upgrade path for me would be the 5D III at this point. I can't lose my joystick controller and my side buttons to that aberration of a 6D, right?

Well...screw you Canon. I will simply save up a little longer and get me a D600 with the 24-85mm kit lens, and keep my 5D II + Canon glass. This way I can get the best of both worlds. If Canon ever wakes up and start being competitive again, I can upgrade the 5D II with their new - decent - offering. But for now, will be joining the ranks of the satisfied Nikon shooters, and will be able to use the legendary 14-24mm for my landscapes.

DJD

• Canon AE-1
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2012, 01:06:37 PM »
Children,
If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Cheers,
DJD
7DII, 400D, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS USM, Lightroom 5.6

Martin

• Rebel SL1
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »
What the **** is this? A NEW camera....:) funny

Maybe it is time to shut down the canon rumors as there is really nothing exciting about the new gear from Canon.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:20:29 PM by Martin »
5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

Helevitia

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2012, 01:32:02 PM »
Can someone tell me what this means:  63-zone Dual-Level Metering Sensor?

I'm assuming it's to read the amount of light that the camera sees, correct?  Also, how does that play a role with AF since they are bunched together in the specs?  Thanks!

Also, I think wifi and gps are a gimmick.  After 3 months, nobody will use wifi and gps will be used by the minority, IMHO.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:45:09 PM by Helevitia »

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2012, 01:38:59 PM »
So much negativity - and there hasn't even been a review or image gallery yet.

To me, this could potentially be an interesting camera. But not at the current asking price. If this comes down a few hundred dollars over the next few months, it may actually be worth a look *IF* the image quality and high ISO performance match that of the 5D III.

As someone who prefers the reach of a "crop" 1.6x camera, if the image quality of FF is truly a step up- it may be something to think about...whether I could potentially have both. But FF cameras are just too expensive...even the most basic ones as we see here today.
I agree with you there. At $2100 it's not worth it especially if you can get a deal like the other day on the 5D iii ($2750). For $650 more, it's a no brainer. But make it say $850 to $1000 more and then starts getting a little more tempting.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8 Canon 70-200 f4 L, Canon 70-200 IS II L, Canon 600 EX-RT, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2012, 01:38:59 PM »

Bruce Photography

• EOS M3
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »
Where did you see the no AFMA? Other than that I can deal with the other stuff.

So has anyone CONFIRMED that there is no MFA or are we just playing chicken little?

The 6D does have AFMA.  From the Canon USA EOS 6D page, Features section, in the description of the 11-pt AF system:

"For even more customization, adjustment levels for the wide-angle and telephoto ends of particular lenses can be entered and recorded into the camera’s memory."

So...yes to AFMA, and yes to W and T adjustments for zooms, like the 5DIII and 1D X. 

But IMO, other than the -3 EV center point for low light shooting, there are really no redeeming characteristics of this AF system specification.  Point spread no better than the 5DII, two more selectable points but four fewer points in terms of Servo tracking (which wasn't the 5DII's strong point anyway). Sure, the -3 EV is nice, but not salvation by any means given the frequency most users shoot in light that low (my 5DII, spec'd to -0.5 EV, could AF in light that needed ISO 25600).

Only one cross-type sensor, and that one not even a dual cross.

Now that the 60D's 9 cross-type AF with center f/2.8 dual cross has trickled down to the T4i/650D, IMO the Rebel line has a better AF system than the 6D.

+1.  Thank You for being detailed enough to find that Microadjust statement.  I was just reading features on DPR and the announcement and I didn't see it.  Thank you again.  By the way, I do love my 60D and the tiltable screen.  If they got rid of the left buttons why didn't they incorporate a tilt screen?  It is a consumer feature like gps and wireless connect my our phones.  If this is their answer to "way cool" why not the tilt screen?

borner

« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2012, 01:43:27 PM »
I was eagerly waiting for Canon's entry level FF camera after the uber-expensive 5D III was released. Then we heard about the D600, which got me really excited, and did NOT disappoint. Now, Canon has finally revealed their entry-level FF camera, and they DID disappoint, as well as clearly shown their intentions: continue milking their customers. They created that awful 6D to make sure that anybody serious about photography has no other choice than getting the 5D III. I am a 5D II owner, and the only upgrade path for me would be the 5D III at this point. I can't lose my joystick controller and my side buttons to that aberration of a 6D, right?

Well...screw you Canon. I will simply save up a little longer and get me a D600 with the 24-85mm kit lens, and keep my 5D II + Canon glass. This way I can get the best of both worlds. If Canon ever wakes up and start being competitive again, I can upgrade the 5D II with their new - decent - offering. But for now, will be joining the ranks of the satisfied Nikon shooters, and will be able to use the legendary 14-24mm for my landscapes.

I'm with you - 5DmkI, and 5dMkII owner. LOTS of L glass. The trend that last few years for Canon is sad. I'm seriously considering the D600 or D800 and getting into the Nikon camp. Right now they have much better value IMHO. Canon clearly has an inflated sense of brand. Many of the faithful will stay loyal, as they do with Apple. But many others will jump ship. And I don't think they'll attract the fence straddlers and newcomers w/o adjusting their market approach. Just my $.02.

Drizzt321

• 1D X Mark II
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2012, 01:44:47 PM »
If this is supposed to be video oriented, it certainly needed to do 1080p@60fps, clean uncompressed HDMI output, and preferably a headphone jack. Plus make sure it has the timecode like the 5d3 does, and other bits and pieces for the video codec in the 5d3. Oh, and as others are saying, phase detect AF similar to the T4i (even though it isn't great, it's something) and a swivel like the 60d. Dual slot (even dual SDXC) would be nice, and definitely the auto-rollover to a new file as needed.

The think I'm pissed about is how they didn't put GPS into my 5d3 (and 1dX). Least they could have done, and maybe if they needed an antenna there would be a cheap way for that to get plugged in. The WiFi I probably wouldn't use, but I can see how it might be useful now and then and I'd have though they would do that for the 5d3/1dX as well. I mean really, the 2 flagship models don't have something like this?

Personally, having shot the 5d2, if I were considering an upgrade the only things that would attract me would be the additional high ISO settings, and if I did video the 720p@60fps. That's it. I doubt I'd 'upgrade' to the 6d from the 5d2, especially since my CF cards wouldn't be compatible. Oh, and are the batteries compatible between 5d2/5d3 and the 6d? I love how they kept the same battery size between 5d2 and 5d3.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

dswatson83

• EOS M3
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2012, 01:47:40 PM »
Children,
If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Cheers,
DJD
If this camera was a toy, then you would be right. But for many of us a camera is a tool for a business of some sort and as such, we have needs that must be met from our tools in order to get our job done. By looking at this spec sheet and the samples posted, I don't think this tool works for anyone. As a result, this means we either need to up our price point to get a very high priced 5d mark III (which can hurt in this economy), or switch brands which is not as easy as it sounds. A Nikon camera 'feels' different, the buttons are different, and it could take a while for it to be 2nd nature. Plus many of us are invested in lenses & flashes that do not work on the other system. We are upset because those of us with 4yo 7d's or 5dII's need to upgrade to meet consumer demands, but could live without some of the extreme advances (focus system/build) of the high end 5D3 or 1Dx. And, many of us have price restrictions that keep us from the 5D3 or 1Dx ($2,100 vs $3500 or $6,500 is a big difference). We depend on companies like Canon to produce great cameras at each price point to keep our business thriving and to keep customers excited about the quality of their photographs, even in demanding situations such as low light or with lots of fast movement. With the 6D, I would be limited to taking pictures where focus & composition are not critical. Plus, I wouldn't have the assurance of duplicate files on a separate card. A flash works for focus assist in low light photos also and slow sync speeds surly won't help with flash in daylight. Features such as wifi & gps offer no business benefit that I can think of (to me at least) but focus & card redundancy matters.

RuneL

• EOS M3
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2012, 02:13:19 PM »
I've never used anything but the 1D-series for my work. I considered the 5D II but found the auto focus sub par. For me the 6D would be fine for portrait work, the size is less frightening than the 1D, easy to carry, I'd like it, as a professional. It would serve me well.

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2012, 02:15:52 PM »
+1.  Thank You for being detailed enough to find that Microadjust statement.  I was just reading features on DPR and the announcement and I didn't see it.  Thank you again.  By the way, I do love my 60D and the tiltable screen.  If they got rid of the left buttons why didn't they incorporate a tilt screen?  It is a consumer feature like gps and wireless connect my our phones.  If this is their answer to "way cool" why not the tilt screen?
I agree with you on the tilt screen. Especially with this being more pointed towards video, that would of been a great feature to have.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8 Canon 70-200 f4 L, Canon 70-200 IS II L, Canon 600 EX-RT, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2012, 02:15:52 PM »

joemod

« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »
A question about the focus points. According to specs:
AF Points
11 points

Center: cross-type at f/5.6; vertical line-sensitive at f/2.8.

Upper and lower AF points: vertical line-sensitive AF at f/5.6.

Other AF points: Horizontal line-sensitive AF at f/5.6.
What does "sensitive" in this context mean? The center focus point will work both vertically and horizontally with a f5.6 lens but with a 2.8 lens it will work better vertically?

Generally do you think that it is a major upgrade on 7D?

Offtopic: Can we have the 2 threads on 6D merged?

limelight

« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2012, 02:36:32 PM »
Overall, though, it's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark. It's still bound to be a very good camera, of course; just perhaps not quite as good as it could be.  -http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/6- DPReview

My FF upgrade will now be to a 5D2 - NOT the 6D! From my perspective the 6D is disappointing, DPReview summed it all up, "conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark." I have no plans to jump back to Nikon but Canon needs to watch their back. Technology moves ahead at warp speed and if Canon's stodgy approach continues, they may loose market share and eventually their dominance in the marketplace. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2012, 02:36:32 PM »