October 31, 2014, 07:11:27 PM

Author Topic: Canon Announces the Canon EOS 6D DSLR  (Read 39432 times)

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
Re: Canon Announces the Canon EOS 6D DSLR
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2012, 01:44:47 PM »
If this is supposed to be video oriented, it certainly needed to do 1080p@60fps, clean uncompressed HDMI output, and preferably a headphone jack. Plus make sure it has the timecode like the 5d3 does, and other bits and pieces for the video codec in the 5d3. Oh, and as others are saying, phase detect AF similar to the T4i (even though it isn't great, it's something) and a swivel like the 60d. Dual slot (even dual SDXC) would be nice, and definitely the auto-rollover to a new file as needed.

The think I'm pissed about is how they didn't put GPS into my 5d3 (and 1dX). Least they could have done, and maybe if they needed an antenna there would be a cheap way for that to get plugged in. The WiFi I probably wouldn't use, but I can see how it might be useful now and then and I'd have though they would do that for the 5d3/1dX as well. I mean really, the 2 flagship models don't have something like this?

Personally, having shot the 5d2, if I were considering an upgrade the only things that would attract me would be the additional high ISO settings, and if I did video the 720p@60fps. That's it. I doubt I'd 'upgrade' to the 6d from the 5d2, especially since my CF cards wouldn't be compatible. Oh, and are the batteries compatible between 5d2/5d3 and the 6d? I love how they kept the same battery size between 5d2 and 5d3.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2012, 01:44:47 PM »

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2012, 01:47:40 PM »
Children,
If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Cheers,
DJD
If this camera was a toy, then you would be right. But for many of us a camera is a tool for a business of some sort and as such, we have needs that must be met from our tools in order to get our job done. By looking at this spec sheet and the samples posted, I don't think this tool works for anyone. As a result, this means we either need to up our price point to get a very high priced 5d mark III (which can hurt in this economy), or switch brands which is not as easy as it sounds. A Nikon camera 'feels' different, the buttons are different, and it could take a while for it to be 2nd nature. Plus many of us are invested in lenses & flashes that do not work on the other system. We are upset because those of us with 4yo 7d's or 5dII's need to upgrade to meet consumer demands, but could live without some of the extreme advances (focus system/build) of the high end 5D3 or 1Dx. And, many of us have price restrictions that keep us from the 5D3 or 1Dx ($2,100 vs $3500 or $6,500 is a big difference). We depend on companies like Canon to produce great cameras at each price point to keep our business thriving and to keep customers excited about the quality of their photographs, even in demanding situations such as low light or with lots of fast movement. With the 6D, I would be limited to taking pictures where focus & composition are not critical. Plus, I wouldn't have the assurance of duplicate files on a separate card. A flash works for focus assist in low light photos also and slow sync speeds surly won't help with flash in daylight. Features such as wifi & gps offer no business benefit that I can think of (to me at least) but focus & card redundancy matters.

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2012, 02:13:19 PM »
I've never used anything but the 1D-series for my work. I considered the 5D II but found the auto focus sub par. For me the 6D would be fine for portrait work, the size is less frightening than the 1D, easy to carry, I'd like it, as a professional. It would serve me well.

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2012, 02:15:52 PM »
+1.  Thank You for being detailed enough to find that Microadjust statement.  I was just reading features on DPR and the announcement and I didn't see it.  Thank you again.  By the way, I do love my 60D and the tiltable screen.  If they got rid of the left buttons why didn't they incorporate a tilt screen?  It is a consumer feature like gps and wireless connect my our phones.  If this is their answer to "way cool" why not the tilt screen?
I agree with you on the tilt screen. Especially with this being more pointed towards video, that would of been a great feature to have.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

joemod

« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »
A question about the focus points. According to specs:
AF Points
11 points

Center: cross-type at f/5.6; vertical line-sensitive at f/2.8.

Upper and lower AF points: vertical line-sensitive AF at f/5.6.

Other AF points: Horizontal line-sensitive AF at f/5.6.
What does "sensitive" in this context mean? The center focus point will work both vertically and horizontally with a f5.6 lens but with a 2.8 lens it will work better vertically?

Generally do you think that it is a major upgrade on 7D?

Offtopic: Can we have the 2 threads on 6D merged?

limelight

« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2012, 02:36:32 PM »
Overall, though, it's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark. It's still bound to be a very good camera, of course; just perhaps not quite as good as it could be.  -http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/6- DPReview

My FF upgrade will now be to a 5D2 - NOT the 6D! From my perspective the 6D is disappointing, DPReview summed it all up, "conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark." I have no plans to jump back to Nikon but Canon needs to watch their back. Technology moves ahead at warp speed and if Canon's stodgy approach continues, they may loose market share and eventually their dominance in the marketplace. 

Ryan_W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2012, 02:42:38 PM »
I shoot 50 weddings a year and shoot them entirely in manual mode.

The only thing the 6D announcement did was make me wonder why my 1DX didn't get the wifi and GPS treatment, that would of been great for my high end shoots.

Then again, how good is the wifi, it could be really slow.

I've never used WiFi but the usual assessment is it's too slow if you shoot RAW to be of much practical use.

I'm not sure how well WiFi, GPS, or a build wireless flash transmitter (DarkNightNine suggested this in another thread) would work through the full magnesium frame of a 1DX.

An antenna the size of a filament might not even work through the polycarbonate coating. You need a decently high gain antenna to get GPS to work through anything, let alone magnesium. But you'd have to be outside for it to work reliably anyway. I hope the GPS has a kill switch so as not to drain the battery searching.

I also noted that the WiFi in-body has a range of 30 meters as opposed to 150 meters with the attachment Canon offers separately. I didn't see the specs on the WiFi - if it's the new draft protocol AC (which I highly doubt) It would have great bandwidth. It's almost certainly the B/G/N which maxes at like... 20 MB/s I think? What has me drooling (as a freelance photojournalist) is the potential to find my 1 'keeper' shot and upload it wirelessly to an editor via e-mail or FTP. It would also be pretty great if the camera could push via WiFi to android or iOS and convert for sharing similarly. Can't tell you how great it would be to update virtually live from the scene without instagram or Cell phone pics. Would be a game-changer for indy journalists everywhere, even if it did take some 2 minutes to transfer and upload.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2012, 02:42:38 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2012, 02:53:54 PM »
The think I'm pissed about is how they didn't put GPS into my 5d3 (and 1dX).

They couldn't because else you'd be p* about them not making the 5d3/1dx full metal.

What potential 6d buyers should be p* reall about is Canon obviously not putting a rf flash controller for 600rt-type flashes into the 6d - would certainly have been possible since the top is only plastic to transmit wifi/gps!

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2012, 03:36:54 PM »
The think I'm pissed about is how they didn't put GPS into my 5d3 (and 1dX).

They couldn't because else you'd be p* about them not making the 5d3/1dx full metal.

What potential 6d buyers should be p* reall about is Canon obviously not putting a rf flash controller for 600rt-type flashes into the 6d - would certainly have been possible since the top is only plastic to transmit wifi/gps!
Are you serious?
If they put a rf flash controller in 6d, how can they release 6d mark II with this as their major selling point ;D

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2012, 03:38:09 PM »
Can someone tell me what this means:  63-zone Dual-Level Metering Sensor?

I'm assuming it's to read the amount of light that the camera sees, correct?  Also, how does that play a role with AF since they are bunched together in the specs?  Thanks!

It's the same metering sensor in the 7D, 5DIII, 60D, etc.  the metering sensor determines the amount of light in various portions of the scene, and uses that for the camera to make its exposure decision on what is "correct". Dual layer means it is somewhat sensitive to color information as well. That helps out with the AF in some situations, for example under fluorescent lights, which can alter the accuracy of the AF.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Helevitia

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2012, 03:41:19 PM »

I'm assuming it's to read the amount of light that the camera sees, correct?  Also, how does that play a role with AF since they are bunched together in the specs?  Thanks!

It's the same metering sensor in the 7D, 5DIII, 60D, etc.  the metering sensor determines the amount of light in various portions of the scene, and uses that for the camera to make its exposure decision on what is "correct". Dual layer means it is somewhat sensitive to color information as well. That helps out with the AF in some situations, for example under fluorescent lights, which can alter the accuracy of the AF.

Thanks!

djurma11

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »
Overall, though, it's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark. It's still bound to be a very good camera, of course; just perhaps not quite as good as it could be.  -http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/6- DPReview

My FF upgrade will now be to a 5D2 - NOT the 6D! From my perspective the 6D is disappointing, DPReview summed it all up, "conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark." I have no plans to jump back to Nikon but Canon needs to watch their back. Technology moves ahead at warp speed and if Canon's stodgy approach continues, they may loose market share and eventually their dominance in the marketplace.

I feel like I am in the same boat. The 6D has some upgrades like:
-better focusing system (can't be worse than 5D2, and despite the lack of wider focus points, it covers same area as 5D2)
-slightly faster frame rate
-slightly better battery life

The DOWNGRADES, however, seem to far outweigh the positives:
-NO CF!!! or at least multiple card slots. SD cards are considerably slower and less durable. I have also invested a good amount of money in getting fast, reliable CF cards

I think the major determining factor will be how much better the 6D sensor preforms when compared with the 5D2 (if it even is better).
Hopefully by the time we get those figures, the 5d2 will be further discounted thus making my choice easier.
5DII, 7D, 70-200 mkII, 24-105L, 50 1.4, Tamron 17-50, 1.4x II, 430 EXII
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djurma/

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2012, 04:11:19 PM »

sed 's/AF/AE/g'

Edit:  Since only maybe two people will get that...  Neuro meant AE not AF...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:14:04 PM by bvukich »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2012, 04:11:19 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2012, 04:30:17 PM »

sed 's/AF/AE/g'

Edit:  Since only maybe two people will get that...  Neuro meant AE not AF...

Actually, I did mean AF, but AE is also true.  From Canon:

"Since the metering sensor has a color measurement function, exposure errors and focus errors caused by different light sources are minimized..."
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2012, 04:59:09 PM »
Children,
If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Cheers,
DJD

This remark is ignorant and condescending.

You buy into an "eco-system" when you buy a DSLR. The lenses, flashes and other accessories are often many times the cost of the new bodies, whenever they are released.

I bought into the Canon system many years ago, mostly because their commitment to autofocus motors in the lens was a smart way to go.

Up until recently I have had 100% confidence in my choice to go with Canon. I have invested quite a lot in L lenses because I had total confidence that Canon would do everything in their power to beat the competition. I trusted them to deliver the best product that they could, and they do deliver great products.

But lately it appears that they are holding back and trying to finesse the market place. But the competition today is fierce.

Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, and even Samsung are throwing down the gauntlets and putting out their best crack at top products for consumers.  We should expect Canon to do the same.

I don't feel comfortable owning a small fortune of Canon lenses and accessories only to see the competition deliver better value.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2012, 04:59:09 PM »