August 29, 2014, 08:18:16 PM

Author Topic: Canon Announces the Canon EOS 6D DSLR  (Read 37608 times)

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
Re: Canon Announces the Canon EOS 6D DSLR
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2012, 05:13:59 PM »
Either way it's going to sell like hotcakes.

To whom, exactly?

n00bs, students, parents?

Just because somebody buys doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing. A body is only one piece in a whole ecosystem. The GPS and Wifi might be nice to have integrated and you can complain all you want about the specs but it's not really that bad. There's a couple things that would of been nice to have but I'm sure this camera will take some great pictures.

Exactly. Most gearheads bitching and whining about the specs don't know how to take good pictures let alone know how to shoot in manual.

And just like that... boom, there it goes...  people complain or criticize about product and someone just has to go to the personal attack with the same typical defensive response... "I think it's good and I'm awesome so anyone who disagrees must be a gearhead and doesn't know how to take a good picture anyway"...

+1 ..aces

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2012, 05:13:59 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2012, 05:17:06 PM »

Is this their first digital SLR that doesn't use a prime number?
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2012, 05:21:36 PM »

Your're correct - if there's nothing positive to say about a Canon release, let's resort to trivia :->

But lately it appears that they are holding back and trying to finesse the market place.

+1 ... here's what they did:

Canon did a market research and asked if people would buy a theoretical 6d over the 5d3. If anybody replied "yes" then they cut the 6d specs back. And since many people said "I'd buy the 6d if it would be better in some areas than the 5d2 but had no regressions" Canon marketing told their engineers to disable the one cross point with lenses with f2.8+ ... operation "protect 5d3" successful, patient "6d" dead.

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2012, 05:24:22 PM »
What has me drooling (as a freelance photojournalist) is the potential to find my 1 'keeper' shot and upload it wirelessly to an editor via e-mail or FTP. It would also be pretty great if the camera could push via WiFi to android or iOS and convert for sharing similarly. Can't tell you how great it would be to update virtually live from the scene without instagram or Cell phone pics. Would be a game-changer for indy journalists everywhere, even if it did take some 2 minutes to transfer and upload.
That's exactly the feature I think if they did it right could be the thing that really sets this apart and even gets some of the pros that might complain about the specs to get one.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2012, 05:36:54 PM »

A question is neither correct nor incorrect. It is a question. You seem to suggest in a flippant response that you believe the answer to be yes.

And this is perhaps the first time I've seen someone refer to prime numbers as "trivia."

Your're correct - if there's nothing positive to say about a Canon release, let's resort to trivia :->

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 17, 2012, 06:06:42 PM »
So you are a rebel shooter looking to upgrade.....

The 6D has more megapixels than a rebel. We can debate until the cows come home if that is a good thing or not, but the fact remains that more megapixels sell. Look at all the higher end users champing at the bit waiting for Canon to put out a 40+ Megapixel camera..... kind of proves the point.

GPS. Some regard it as useless, some as nice to have.... fact is that the "toy" point and shoots have it, and if you are trying to entice them up to a bigger and better camera, features like that help.

ISO range. The ISO range beats the c**P out of anything in the rebel line. It will be interesting to see what the image quality is, but with a lower pixel density than APS-C and using the latest technology, one would expect to see image quality almost as good as a 5D III.

Focusing. This is aimed at people upgrading from a rebel.... one would expect that the focusing would be better than a rebel. Canon certainly isn't going to make it worse. The low light sensitivity is the best of any DSLR out there.... period! Rather than focus on how many points and what type they are, wait until the camera is reviewed by independant sources..... anything said now is speculation. All that can be safely said is that it SHOULD be better than a rebel and SHOULD be worse than a 5D III. And they have included AFMA that is lens serial number specific and at both ends of a zoom, yet another feature rebel shooters do not have.

The viewfinder.... OK, it's not 100%, but it is way better than on a rebel.

The camera has HDR and multiple exposure modes.... sorry rebel....
63 zone metering... sorry rebel....

I would have liked to have seen the articulated touchscreen of the T4i, but the addition of WiFi brings up the potential for a phone or even Ipad to become the touchscreen and who cares about articulated when you have removable? WiFi is so much more than downloading images. This is a function that has the potential to change the way a lot of people interact with thier cameras. Time will tell how it is implemented, but there is a lot of promise here... and by the way, it is yet another feature to entice rebel shoters to upgrade.

Movie modes....I would have liked to have seen 1920 at 60 hz, but I can understand why it would be left off.

Is it better than a 5D III? Of course not. Is it better than a rebel? Of course so. And it's priced in the middle....

If I were shooting with a rebel and wanted to move up to something better, this is a good place to go.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2012, 06:27:24 PM »
Focusing. This is aimed at people upgrading from a rebel.... one would expect that the focusing would be better than a rebel. Canon certainly isn't going to make it worse. The low light sensitivity is the best of any DSLR out there.... period! Rather than focus on how many points and what type they are, wait until the camera is reviewed by independant sources..... anything said now is speculation. All that can be safely said is that it SHOULD be better than a rebel and SHOULD be worse than a 5D III.

No, it should be worse than the 5d3 AND rebels with 9 cross points - and it should even be worse than the 5d2 because on the 6d there is *no* cross point at all if you attach a lens with f2.8+ (i.e. fast zooms, most primes). It's no speculation to say that a cross point will provide more reliable af than only horizontal/vertical, no matter what magic you put in the firmware and how dark it can be.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2012, 06:27:24 PM »

daniemare

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 17, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
So I wished for a FF Rebel and I guess I just about got it. (I even thought they will call it a 70D)

Am I disappointed about the lack of a Pop-up flash and 7D like AF, yes very much so.  Would I have liked a little more fps, yes, but again it is 1fps faster than my current camera (T1i)

Do I care about the view finder (97%), fixed screen and no-touch screen, not at all because it is better than/I do not have it on my current Rebel. Hell from what I understand just being a pentaprism instead of a pentamirror is all the upgrade I need.

Is the GPS and WiFi an unexpected bonus, for sure. And I do not even have to buy new memory cards.

Does the D600 look better on paper, yes.  Can I switch??? My 28 F1.8, 50 F1.4 100 F2.8L macro and 70-200 F4 and 430EXII says no.  Does this dissapoint me, no.  All my lenses were bought used (exept for the 50mm), Canon is far more popular were I live and this make it much easier for me to keep getting what I need at far lower than MSRP through kijiji and craigslist.

This camera is not for those wanting a cheap 5DIII, nor those upgrading at every release.  Its for hobbyists like me who can't extract the capabilities of the 6D to its fullest, let alone the incremental difference to the D600.

I am excited and will get one - as soon the first price drops come along.
Canon 6D, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100 F2.8L IS macro, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 28 F1.8

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2012, 07:08:16 PM »
Focusing. This is aimed at people upgrading from a rebel.... one would expect that the focusing would be better than a rebel. Canon certainly isn't going to make it worse. The low light sensitivity is the best of any DSLR out there.... period! Rather than focus on how many points and what type they are, wait until the camera is reviewed by independant sources..... anything said now is speculation. All that can be safely said is that it SHOULD be better than a rebel and SHOULD be worse than a 5D III.

No, it should be worse than the 5d3 AND rebels with 9 cross points - and it should even be worse than the 5d2 because on the 6d there is *no* cross point at all if you attach a lens with f2.8+ (i.e. fast zooms, most primes). It's no speculation to say that a cross point will provide more reliable af than only horizontal/vertical, no matter what magic you put in the firmware and how dark it can be.

They have changed the pattern, they have changed the number of focus points, and they have changed the type and levels of focus points. It sounds better than the T3i and the 60D, the T4i sounds better....... but how all the changes work together, coupled with how the target market shoots, remains to be seen. Perhaps the new pattern will work better with the habits of entry level photographers... I suspect that for most pictures taken the focus point is right in the middle, and that seems to be where this sensor is "aimed". Pun intended.

And by the way, I didn't comment that it WILL be worse than the 5D III and WILL be better than the rebels, I commented that it SHOULD be..... not so much for technical reasons as for marketing reasons.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:41:18 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2012, 07:30:41 PM »
... on the 6d there is *no* cross point at all if you attach a lens with f2.8+ (i.e. fast zooms, most primes). It's no speculation to say that a cross point will provide more reliable af than only horizontal/vertical, no matter what magic you put in the firmware and how dark it can be.

Not quite true.  The f/2.8 line is superimposed on an f/5.6 '+' (technically, the f/2.8 line pair is outside the f/5.6 lines).  They act in concert. If the f/2.8 line cannot achieve focus, the f/5.6 line is used.  Also, the f/5.6 lines are better with substantial defocus, so often with a hybrid AF point, a 'coarse focus' is achieved with the f/5.6 line(s), and that's refined by the f/2.8 line(s).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

libertyranger

« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2012, 07:32:29 PM »
... on the 6d there is *no* cross point at all if you attach a lens with f2.8+ (i.e. fast zooms, most primes). It's no speculation to say that a cross point will provide more reliable af than only horizontal/vertical, no matter what magic you put in the firmware and how dark it can be.

Not quite true.  The f/2.8 line is superimposed on an f/5.6 '+' (technically, the f/2.8 line pair is outside the f/5.6 lines).  They act in concert. If the f/2.8 line cannot achieve focus, the f/5.6 line is used.  Also, the f/5.6 lines are better with substantial defocus, so often with a hybrid AF point, a 'coarse focus' is achieved with the f/5.6 line(s), and that's refined by the f/2.8 line(s).

So the 6D does have a f/5.6 center cross type!  And if you use a f/2.8 lens, it becomes a more accurate cross type?

libertyranger

« Reply #131 on: September 17, 2012, 07:38:20 PM »
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/Canon-EOS-DSLR-Autofocus-Explained.aspx

Read this article today.  Guessing it's you neuro?  My understanding from it is that f/2.8 cross-types are more accurate (yet slower) than f/5.6.  Thus, in the case of the 6D, it has the ability to be more accurate if you have a f/2.8 lens, but also act as a cross-type lens if you have a f/5.6 lens.

Kmccarthy

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2012, 08:02:19 PM »
So you are a rebel shooter looking to upgrade.....

The 6D has more megapixels than a rebel. We can debate until the cows come home if that is a good thing or not, but the fact remains that more megapixels sell. Look at all the higher end users champing at the bit waiting for Canon to put out a 40+ Megapixel camera..... kind of proves the point.

GPS. Some regard it as useless, some as nice to have.... fact is that the "toy" point and shoots have it, and if you are trying to entice them up to a bigger and better camera, features like that help.

ISO range. The ISO range beats the c**P out of anything in the rebel line. It will be interesting to see what the image quality is, but with a lower pixel density than APS-C and using the latest technology, one would expect to see image quality almost as good as a 5D III.

Focusing. This is aimed at people upgrading from a rebel.... one would expect that the focusing would be better than a rebel. Canon certainly isn't going to make it worse. The low light sensitivity is the best of any DSLR out there.... period! Rather than focus on how many points and what type they are, wait until the camera is reviewed by independant sources..... anything said now is speculation. All that can be safely said is that it SHOULD be better than a rebel and SHOULD be worse than a 5D III. And they have included AFMA that is lens serial number specific and at both ends of a zoom, yet another feature rebel shooters do not have.

The viewfinder.... OK, it's not 100%, but it is way better than on a rebel.

The camera has HDR and multiple exposure modes.... sorry rebel....
63 zone metering... sorry rebel....

I would have liked to have seen the articulated touchscreen of the T4i, but the addition of WiFi brings up the potential for a phone or even Ipad to become the touchscreen and who cares about articulated when you have removable? WiFi is so much more than downloading images. This is a function that has the potential to change the way a lot of people interact with thier cameras. Time will tell how it is implemented, but there is a lot of promise here... and by the way, it is yet another feature to entice rebel shoters to upgrade.

Movie modes....I would have liked to have seen 1920 at 60 hz, but I can understand why it would be left off.

Is it better than a 5D III? Of course not. Is it better than a rebel? Of course so. And it's priced in the middle....

If I were shooting with a rebel and wanted to move up to something better, this is a good place to go.

The problem is that the 6D does not seem much better than the 4 year old 5D II, yet it costs more. On the other hand, the Nikon D600 beats it in every way and would probably give the 5DIII a run for its money for $1500 less. It has built-in flash, better AF, higher megapixels, MFA, headphone jack, and dual SD slots.  I'm sure the 6D will be a fine camera and will take great pictures. Unfortunately, it just doesn't make much sense from a strategic perspective in a competitive market environment. But hey, thats life. The same thing happened to Nikon when Canon released the 5DII. It caught them completely by surprise and catapulted Canon to the lead. Now it's Nikons turn!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2012, 08:02:19 PM »

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2012, 08:29:08 PM »
...On the other hand, the Nikon D600 beats it in every way ...

Your points are valid, but apart from the better AF (and it remains to be seen if the 6D is actually "bad"), a wide range of people wouldn't care too much about the rest.  Many people prefer external flash units, the MP difference is negligible, and the dual card slots, while handy, isn't a deal breaker for a lot of people.

And the 6D has a lot of positive features that are lacking on the D600 which will appeal to a wide range of people.  Personally, I like the idea of the faster max shutter speed, higher ISOs, better low light AF capabilities, built in WiFi and GPS.  For someone like myself who takes a lot of photos late in the day, or night time sports, it might be ideal.  I'm certainly starting to warm to it and can't wait to read some proper reviews. 
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2012, 09:40:53 PM »
It's odd that it does not use CF cards. My 50D used CF cards.  For a pro that point is hard to overlook.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2012, 09:40:53 PM »