April 20, 2014, 08:11:03 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Preorders  (Read 12732 times)

surfbum

Re: Canon EOS 6D Preorders
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »
I think they have done remarkably!

Canon has succeeded in matching the marketing and product strategy of one of the biggest companies in the world and will now surely share in the same level of success.

The 6D is canons equivalent to the universally adored -  'Windows Vista'

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2012, 03:04:09 PM »

Canon has succeeded in matching the marketing and product strategy of one of the biggest companies in the world and will now surely share in the same level of success.

;D ;D ;D
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2012, 03:35:48 PM »

Exactly! Nice example! :D

It's one stupidly expensive thing that you buy but you don't actually want to, because you know from the beginning that it sucks, that it's not a real 64 bit and it's just a temporary accomodation, and you wonder what is the real upgrade from XP after all.

revup67

• 6D
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 11:58:30 PM »
Dilbert..I get your point but the convenience of having the GPS and Infrared built in outweighs putting extra devices on the hot shoe, adding more weight and remembering to bring the gear along.
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 09:36:54 AM »

Why?  I don't give a crap anything about the 6D if I'm a 1DX owner.  The 6D can't go anywhere near the 1DX.  I've never missed focus once with the 1DX, in the worst lighting conditions possible, so paper specs mean absolutely nothing to me.  I guess I'm happy enough with my gear that I'm not always looking at other cameras wishing mine had that feature, etc.  So yes, I'm a 1DX/5D3 user and if the -3EV thing actually works well on the 6D, who cares?  Not me.

+1

In my opinion the 6D is positioned as a kind of 5D Mark II with some extra features to attract people upgrading from crop to full-frame, but without the funds to purchase a 5D Mark III or 1D-X. Those using the latter two cameras will find little in the 6D attracting them to purchase it. Those who really needed GPS bit the bullet already and purchased a GPS add-on. Dilbert's point about the amount of plastic in a body is a very valid one, so why would I want GPS inside my 1D-X or 5D Mark III?

chadders

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 10:01:22 AM »
What really sucks is they flaunt some of the features that should have EASILY been included on the 5D Mark III.  I went out and bought that separate GPS since I do a lot of hiking for $279.  They could have included the wireless feature as they do with the 6D

Come off it! If they had done all that you and others would have been grumbling about "all the plastic" in your 5D III's. Either that or the price would have been even higher. Some of this whinging about the 6D is beginning to sound like sour grapes.

Octavian

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 11:38:01 AM »
So their goal is not just designing and building the camera but also including parts and materials that allow it to meet a specific price point. Would, for example, you trade the GPS+WiFi for a body that was half magnesium alloy and half polycarbonate instead of no GPS/Wifi and full magnesium alloy body?

Well, I certainly would (60d user :-)) - actually I really don't think it matters much of the top of a camera body is not metal, if it takes a hit on the lcd it's time a for a trip to the service anyway.

However integrating wifi/gps certainly doesn't drive costs up significantly, these are cent-circuits built into billions of mobile phones. It's much more about marketing (a "pro" camera doesn't have gps) and not putting all eggs into one basket, or there wouldn't be any features left for the 6d and the 5d4.

It's a different sort of mentality though.

Canon gives certain features to lower models and higher-end users say: WTF?

Canon cuts certain features from lower-end models and their users say: WTF?

I prefer the Nikon way of differentiating D600 and D800. There are reasons to buy a D800, but at the same time the D600 has no serious flaw or deal-breaker. And no one with a D800 will say WTF? when seeing the D600.

+1

Like before the 5d3 was announced, I asked why doesn't Canon make SDK's for integration with smart phone and Tablets... now they have with the 6D, I like that feature, but it is not in the almost 2x priced 5D3 released just months before.... WTF !  >:(

IF this -3 EV AF thing actually works well....

AND

IF I were a 5D3/1Dx user....

THEN

I would surely say WTF.

Spoken like a true Software Developer!  :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 11:38:01 AM »