April 21, 2014, 09:51:27 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Preorders  (Read 12741 times)

petreebum

Re: Canon EOS 6D Preorders
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »
6D is $2100 but the 5D Mk3 is available as low as $2800?  For $700 more I could get a more capable (but still overpriced) camera?  No thanks 6D.  At $1500-$1700, yes but not at $2100.

Where are you finding the 5D Mk3 for 2,800?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 04:40:05 PM »
You'd need to be very patient to pre-order, it's not due out until December! Meanwhile the D600 goes on sale tomorrow...

Yet another time Nikon catches Canon with it pants down...  better product, better value and now better availibility...  :-\
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

minus28

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 01:47:22 PM »
Am I the only one who keeps checking canonrumors because I keep expecting some kind of retraction or apology from Canon since the 6D specs are so bad (particularly in relation to the price)? I keep hoping they might be a mistake! It all feels a bit surreal.

I have been using Canon SLRs for 17 years but since the stage is now set for the next couple of years I have a clear plan to keep my 50d and 15-85 for a while longer then upgrade to a D600 or D800 depending on how the prices and budget are doing at the time. I am quite happy with my 50D for now, but the dream (like many) has always been to go FF.

Some Canon FF showstoppers:

- 6D based on 60D which was already a toy. I took the older spec 50D in the first place to avoid the 60D. Canon look like they have just copied Nikon in the form factor, but the difference is that the D7000 was quite a respected camera in the first place
- crippled autofocus on 6D - even just on principle this sucks! Price is too high to have intentionally limited functionality.
- Even my old 50D is using CF cards rather than the SD that the 6D uses
- Could have potentially stretched to a 5d3 to get the robust body with the controls and handling I want, but since I wont be able to use my EF-S lenses anyway the D800 would be a far more exciting prospect for less money

Wonder how many others will make the move this time? Seems like a big miscalculation by Canon!

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 01:56:33 PM »
Am I the only one who keeps checking canonrumors because I keep expecting some kind of retraction or apology from Canon since the 6D specs are so bad (particularly in relation to the price)? I keep hoping they might be a mistake! It all feels a bit surreal.

You are in the first of the five stages of grief: denial (they'll apologize), anger (damn canon), bargaining (maybe a lens rebate), depression (I got the wrong brand), and acceptance (go out and shoot)

If the problems persist, see your doctor or the local Nikon dealer :-)

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 02:20:36 PM »

You are in the first of the five stages of grief: denial (they'll apologize), anger (damn canon), bargaining (maybe a lens rebate), depression (I got the wrong brand), and acceptance (go out and shoot)

If the problems persist, see your doctor or the local Nikon dealer :-)

+1

Dr. Marsu, can one simultaneouly manifest symptoms of multiple stages?
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Marsu42

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 02:40:36 PM »
Dr. Marsu, can one simultaneouly manifest symptoms of multiple stages?

Dr. Wikipedia indeed says the symptoms occur in no particular order and can certainly overlap ... though a straight and fast succession is much more fun as depicted by Homer Simpson who goes through them in 10 seconds :-)

Kubler-Ross' Phases of Grief Small | Large

dexstrose

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 04:43:53 PM »
I guess I'm the only one who is thinking about going on the list to purchase. To me, its like the 5d III's red headed step sister that looks decent and has a nice rack. I would be happy with it.  ;D

Coming from my great workhorse 10d, and still using it to make great pictures for my myself, family, friends, and for work (company events, newspaper stringer). I think this will be a great upgrade for me, especially in the low light area and wifi. I can't afford the 5d mIII at $3000. But I can do the 6d. If there is another daily deal on the 5d mIII, I might consider.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 04:43:53 PM »

revup67

• 6D
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 11:04:05 PM »
What really sucks is they flaunt some of the features that should have EASILY been included on the 5D Mark III.  I went out and bought that separate GPS since I do a lot of hiking for $279.  They could have included the wireless feature as they do with the 6D and most of all, sure no one in their right mind that would buy a 5D would use a popup flash however the 7D has the pop up that allows IR for the 580 EXII (and others). Why these 3 key features were not on the 5D MK III is plain greediness. The infamous Red Line has spread and beginning to show across my forehead when I think about this stuff.  Hmmh.
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 03:53:34 AM »
What really sucks is they flaunt some of the features that should have EASILY been included on the 5D Mark III.  I went out and bought that separate GPS since I do a lot of hiking for $279.  They could have included the wireless feature as they do with the 6D and most of all, sure no one in their right mind that would buy a 5D would use a popup flash however the 7D has the pop up that allows IR for the 580 EXII (and others). Why these 3 key features were not on the 5D MK III is plain greediness. The infamous Red Line has spread and beginning to show across my forehead when I think about this stuff.  Hmmh.

There was a comment quite some time ago about how one of the hardest engineering choices they have is how to meet a specific price point with their choice of features for a given camera. Sure, they could have put WiFi and GPS inside the 5D3 but if that moved the launch MSRP from $3499 to $3699 then the inc. tax price is suddently around $4000.

So their goal is not just designing and building the camera but also including parts and materials that allow it to meet a specific price point. Would, for example, you trade the GPS+WiFi for a body that was half magnesium alloy and half polycarbonate instead of no GPS/Wifi and full magnesium alloy body?

Marsu42

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 04:04:19 AM »
So their goal is not just designing and building the camera but also including parts and materials that allow it to meet a specific price point. Would, for example, you trade the GPS+WiFi for a body that was half magnesium alloy and half polycarbonate instead of no GPS/Wifi and full magnesium alloy body?

Well, I certainly would (60d user :-)) - actually I really don't think it matters much of the top of a camera body is not metal, if it takes a hit on the lcd it's time a for a trip to the service anyway.

However integrating wifi/gps certainly doesn't drive costs up significantly, these are cent-circuits built into billions of mobile phones. It's much more about marketing (a "pro" camera doesn't have gps) and not putting all eggs into one basket, or there wouldn't be any features left for the 6d and the 5d4.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 05:56:19 AM »

Well, I certainly would (60d user :-)) - actually I really don't think it matters much of the top of a camera body is not metal, if it takes a hit on the lcd it's time a for a trip to the service anyway.

However integrating wifi/gps certainly doesn't drive costs up significantly, these are cent-circuits built into billions of mobile phones. It's much more about marketing (a "pro" camera doesn't have gps) and not putting all eggs into one basket, or there wouldn't be any features left for the 6d and the 5d4.

It's a different sort of mentality though.

Canon gives certain features to lower models and higher-end users say: WTF?

Canon cuts certain features from lower-end models and their users say: WTF?

I prefer the Nikon way of differentiating D600 and D800. There are reasons to buy a D800, but at the same time the D600 has no serious flaw or deal-breaker. And no one with a D800 will say WTF? when seeing the D600.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 10:13:08 AM »

I prefer the Nikon way of differentiating D600 and D800. There are reasons to buy a D800, but at the same time the D600 has no serious flaw or deal-breaker. And no one with a D800 will say WTF? when seeing the D600.

+1

Like before the 5d3 was announced, I asked why doesn't Canon make SDK's for integration with smart phone and Tablets... now they have with the 6D, I like that feature, but it is not in the almost 2x priced 5D3 released just months before.... WTF !  >:(
EOS-5D Mk.iii 

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 11:36:07 AM »

+1

Like before the 5d3 was announced, I asked why doesn't Canon make SDK's for integration with smart phone and Tablets... now they have with the 6D, I like that feature, but it is not in the almost 2x priced 5D3 released just months before.... WTF !  >:(

IF this -3 EV AF thing actually works well....

AND

IF I were a 5D3/1Dx user....

THEN

I would surely say WTF.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 11:36:07 AM »

floex712

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2012, 12:40:01 PM »
Don't really think any pro would and I'm starting to abandon ship after 15years of Canon :'(

I have decided that if Canon doesn't "fix" this by January, which is when I plan on purchasing the Nikon D600, I am gone, I have already made the decision to jump ship. I learned on a Nikon FG 35mm Film and when I switched to digital in Feb 2011, I got a Canon because of cost and my Canon 60D has been a trooper through and through. High ISO isn't it's best feature but it performs superbly for the work I do. Looks like I am going back to Nikon. 

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2012, 01:23:50 PM »

+1

IF this -3 EV AF thing actually works well....

AND

IF I were a 5D3/1Dx user....

THEN

I would surely say WTF.

Why?  I don't give a crap anything about the 6D if I'm a 1DX owner.  The 6D can't go anywhere near the 1DX.  I've never missed focus once with the 1DX, in the worst lighting conditions possible, so paper specs mean absolutely nothing to me.  I guess I'm happy enough with my gear that I'm not always looking at other cameras wishing mine had that feature, etc.  So yes, I'm a 1DX/5D3 user and if the -3EV thing actually works well on the 6D, who cares?  Not me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2012, 01:23:50 PM »