April 16, 2014, 12:40:56 AM

Author Topic: The 5D Mark II: Happy 4th Anniversary!  (Read 4948 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
The 5D Mark II: Happy 4th Anniversary!
« on: September 17, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »
The 5D Mark II
Mitch at Planet5D reminded us that today marks the 4th anniversary of the Canon EOS 5D Mark II, quite possibly the most important and successful DSLR Canon or anyone else has ever released. We already know it changed the video world forever, but it also changed the still photography world. How many people do you know that the 5D Mark II was their first DSLR? I used to work in retail and saw it a lot.

Do you remember the first time you saw “Reverie“? I do, I was floored. I think the entire world’s mouth was collectively open in awe.

Sales wise, I remember a huge retailer in Canada telling me that in 2009 the 5D Mark II was 25% of their TOTAL revenue for the year. Canon sold so many of these cameras, and they continue to sell today… 4 years on!

The 5D Mark II was also my first big camera launch here at Canon Rumors, and I completely blew it! I was away in Niagara Falls with my inlaws from Ireland and ignored the site on launch night. It was my first lesson in how crazy us photogeeks are, I haven’t missed a launch since. :)

Happy anniversary to a wonderful photographic and videography tool, and I suspect people will still be using you for years to come.

LONG LIVE THE 5D MARK II!

Source: [P5D]

cr

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:40:45 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

The 5D Mark II: Happy 4th Anniversary!
« on: September 17, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »

Jamesy

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: The 5D Mark II: Happy 4th Birthday!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 10:46:01 AM »
Happy BDay 5D2 :D

infared

• 5D Mark III
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 10:48:24 AM »
I have to agree.   I was a product illustration photographer (4x5, 8x10 film carmeras) I got out when digital was looming as it was mind-boggling expensive to transfer over to digital, computers, etc. Only to have your equipment totally obsolete in 3years.  It was sick.
I stayed out for many years...had a little canon point and shoot for a long, long time.
The 5D Mark II was the benchmark when I felt that digital was finally "there-there" and marginally in a price range that was affordable.  For me, it turned out to be very exciting to dive back in (not professionally) without having to mortgage a house.  GREAT CAMERA. Still is.
I have a 5DIII now and a lot of L glass and am having the time of my life making images again.
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 11:21:24 AM »
I've said this before.  A lot of pros bought the 5D Mark II instead of the 1Ds Mark III.  That should speak volumes for the quality of the camera.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 11:33:28 AM »
And a happy 0th birthday to the ugly, red-headed stepchild of the FF family, aka the 6D.   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 11:34:02 AM »
the Canon EOS 5D Mark II, quite possibly the most important and successful DSLR Canon or anyone else has ever released. We already know it changed the video world forever, but it also changed the still photography world.

On its face, that sounds like grand hyperbole. I think the reality is that it's pretty accurate. The 5D2 seems to have established digital photography in a way no other tool ever has. I think historians may well say it was the foundational product for a whole new world of imaging.

Congratulations to the Canon team that made this happen!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Re: The 5D Mark II: Happy 4th Anniversary!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 11:45:40 AM »
Thanks for agreeing :). I finally put this camera above the Rebel 300D, which was the first DSLR that was "accessible" without mortgaging your house.
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 11:45:40 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 12:21:32 PM »
Mine is still a supurb camera.  Actually, the announcement was 4 years ago, but Canon shipped the first ones in late November 2008.  I got mine the first of December 2008 from Adorama.
I snapped some images Saturday of a friends monster Truck, "The Destroyer" at the local fair.  I have no trouble capturing fast action, but I do use only the center point.
5D Mark II with 70-200mm f/4L IS

mws

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 01:07:06 PM »
I've said this before.  A lot of pros bought the 5D Mark II instead of the 1Ds Mark III.  That should speak volumes for the quality of the camera.

I think that's also why we see the 5Diii price were it is right now. Even still it's worth it at that price.

LightCrafterPhotography

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 01:21:34 PM »
I'm still using mine. Happy anniversary, Cheers!

RGomezPhotos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 04:32:51 PM »
I just bought mine about a month ago.  An upgrade from my beloved Canon 50D.  I love this camera!  I did my first photoshoot with the camera about a week after getting it and the IQ in it is amazing.  I have yet to touch the video portion of the camera!
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 05:05:52 PM »
I have yet to touch the video portion of the camera!
Whats this about video?  ;D

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 05:38:32 PM »
And a happy 0th birthday to the ugly, red-headed stepchild of the FF family, aka the 6D.   :P

If that ugly stepchild was 4 years old today, we'd be singing its praises instead of calling it an overpriced runt :P
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 05:38:32 PM »

razaec

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 07:11:01 PM »
I have mine last May 2012 only. it was an upgrade from a 450d. the ergonomics on the 5dmk2 is just awesome. I just used the camera during a family trip to italy and there I just came into realization why it has a joystick controller, why the buttons are placed like that, etc. Know this camera well and know what you want to shoot, this camera is more than enough for me.. :)))

btw, this one I took with the 70-200 2.8L non IS..

limelight

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 08:11:57 PM »
Been waiting on the long rumored announcement about the "entry level" FF. After the announcement I am now going to buy the 5D2. It might be 4 years old but I would have to say it's still going strong!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 08:11:57 PM »