Gear Talk > Software & Accessories

Google Buys Nik Software

(1/7) > >>

Canon Rumors:

From left field

Google Inc said it bought Germany-based Nik Software, which makes photo editing application Snapseed, a rival to Instagram, for an undisclosed amount.
“We want to help our users create photos they absolutely love, and in our experience Nik does this better than anyone,” said Vic Gundotra, senior vice president, engineering, on a Google+ post.
Source: [Reuters]
*EDIT: Reuters is a bit incorrect, Snapseed really isn’t a competitor to Instagram, perhaps they hope to push it that way. I guess it’s safe to say that Nik applications will probably find their way to Android.
cr

cbphoto:
This does not excite me. The last time a juggernaut bought a small company (Microsoft & iView Media Pro), the software languished to the point that it wasn't worth using. (I'm thankful for Phase One stopping that descent).

mustafa:
Love Nik products, let's hope Google can sort out their update notification/activate process, which is, let's just say, sub-optimal.  Certainly not as effective as OnOne's, or even Adobe's.

thesecretbarn:
Snapseed is a rival to Instagram? Maybe in the way that Lightroom is a rival to Flickr. They do completely different things.

Canon Rumors:

--- Quote from: thesecretbarn on September 17, 2012, 01:50:59 PM ---Snapseed is a rival to Instagram? Maybe in the way that Lightroom is a rival to Flickr. They do completely different things.

--- End quote ---

I agree, I updated the post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version