December 19, 2014, 03:15:56 AM

Author Topic: Google Buys Nik Software  (Read 6555 times)

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Google Buys Nik Software
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 02:40:08 PM »
Wonder how many Apple patents this buyout will get round?  8)

As always with this sort of things I hope the codes jobs are secure, I'm sure the directors will be fine  >:(

Usually the other way around I think... Founders, Directors, upper management do well financially from the sale... the technical teams get jobs paid by Google... in this case some may move into other areas of Google, some stay with the Nik team, some some stay or move into the Snapspeed team (since Google will want to expand it), some may leave.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:42:15 PM by Meh »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 02:40:08 PM »

bchernicoff

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 02:41:56 PM »
Anyone think a preemptive petition is in order? Maybe if Google sees some early groundswell in support of the plugins they will be less tempted to axe them.
6D, Fuji X-T1, X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8,
Fuji 23mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2, 14mm 2.8, 18-55, 55-200

zim

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 02:47:50 PM »

As always with this sort of things I hope the codes jobs are secure, I'm sure the directors will be fine  >:(

Usually the other way around I think... Founders, Directors, upper management do well financially from the sale... the technical teams get jobs paid by Google... in this case some may move into other areas of Google, some stay with the Nik team, some some stay or move into the Snapspeed team (since Google will want to expand it), some may leave.

What's the other way round?
I'm just hoping that the troups are ok that's all, upper management always do well. Don't think we are saying anything different

jalbfb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 02:49:02 PM »
these are by far my fav plugins.. colorFX and silverFX are phenominal.. Dfine and their new HDR 2.0 are VERY VERY good too.. i hope google takes them under their wing but doesnt ruin them.

D

Exactly.  Nik seems head and shoulders above everyone else.  I sometimes wonder if Adobe doesn't wish some of Nik's software engineers worked for them.  It would be a shame if this killed off Nik as we know it.

Having said that, Vic Gondotra is an amateur photographer himself so it's not like he doesn't appreciate what they're getting.

someone asked Google this very thing and Vic replied https://plus.google.com/u/0/109674480414473952661/posts/9xAwogyeohZ.
Happy owner of the 5D Mark III, 24-105 f/4L and other L lenses

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 02:51:09 PM »
Anyone think a preemptive petition is in order? Maybe if Google sees some early groundswell in support of the plugins they will be less tempted to axe them.

Petition??

I'm sure Big G will get a big laugh out of that!
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

Nancy Goodenough

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 03:07:59 PM »
Fuck.

Can you imagine when it comes time to update to CS7, if Nik's Google software doesn't get updated to work with CS7 because Google is fighting with Adobe? I use Nik more than PS, but I use both a lot.

This is not a happy day.

www.flickr.com/photos/nancygoodenough

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 03:13:21 PM »
This does not excite me. The last time a juggernaut bought a small company (Microsoft & iView Media Pro), the software languished to the point that it wasn't worth using. (I'm thankful for Phase One stopping that descent).

Yeah, maybe it works out, but it does seem a bit worrisome....
too bad I think
we will see
but very worrisome
the only plugins i use

Try Topaz detail and Topaz Denoise.... very good complements to Nik Define. One more thing I use is Nik Viveza. the interface & tools are quick and impactful. With their "Structure" brush, I can get amazing details form skies, not normally visible unless you do HDR.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 03:13:21 PM »

Nancy Goodenough

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 03:17:10 PM »
This does not excite me. The last time a juggernaut bought a small company (Microsoft & iView Media Pro), the software languished to the point that it wasn't worth using. (I'm thankful for Phase One stopping that descent).

Yeah, maybe it works out, but it does seem a bit worrisome....
too bad I think
we will see
but very worrisome
the only plugins i use

Try Topaz detail and Topaz Denoise.... very good complements to Nik Define. One more thing I use is Nik Viveza. the interface & tools are quick and impactful. With their "Structure" brush, I can get amazing details form skies, not normally visible unless you do HDR.

I have the Topaz suite and it's not nearly as subtle or powerful as Nik's CEP, SEP, Viveza. Maybe if Nik gets pushed to a back shelf by Google, Topaz will step up and into the void. They have a big motivation to do that now, not that they haven't tried. Maybe hire some Nik people.

Plato the Wise

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 03:24:11 PM »
When you are a giant in the software industry (or any business), it is easier or more cost effective to buy patents, technology, or a brand that is well established and works. Software can take years and millions to develop properly and now Google has just leapfrogged its abilities in this category.

They may just leave the management structure and products in tact and use the digital assets to promote their business agenda.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:59:51 PM by Plato the Wise »

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 04:23:39 PM »
Apparently Nik was in business for 17 years. Wow. One thing to consider is that Nik might not have been very profitable; and so this would be a well-deserved reward for the founders.

I agree that this probably does not bode well for Nik's pro / client-based apps. It seems likely that Google will carry various Nik features into new Google products. But it does seem likely that Google will discontinue the Nik software line in its current form. This acquisition of Nik could also be an "acqui-hire" where they simply want to use the Nik team on totally new Google projects.

R.I.P. Silver Efex???

I agree.  They might not have been that profitable.  I'm sure Google was waiving some nice cash in their eyes...

And this is bad news.  Goodbye Photoshop/Lightroom plug-ins....
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 04:32:50 PM »
Hmm...Not sure this news makes me happy. I like what Nik Software produces, but Google doesn't do desktop apps. They historically suck at them. Google also has the bad habit of screwing their valuable purchase to hell for a few years before they finally get them sorta kinda back on their feet. I used to LOVE DejaNews....then Google bought it, DejaNews entirely disappeared, then Google News popped onto the scene in RADICALLY INFERIOR form...and Google News is still a sucky product today.

Meh. UN-HAPPY.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 04:58:18 PM »

What's the other way round?
I'm just hoping that the troups are ok that's all, upper management always do well. Don't think we are saying anything different

Sorry, I didn't word that very well.... to your point that you hope the coders will keep their jobs but the Directors will be fine... I think the usual is that the coders jobs are safe and the directors lose their jobs (but of course they do well financially from the sale).  Yes, we may have been saying almost the same thing.

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 07:03:16 PM »
Does not augur well for Nik and their plugins...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 07:03:16 PM »

SDsc0rch

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 09:16:06 PM »
i dont have a good feeling about this

i *just* bought nik complete collection - been waiting for *months*

and now... google buys them :/

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 09:19:37 AM »
I bet we'll see Control Point technology in Picassa soon. The Control Point patent must be the only reason why Google bought Nik

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 09:19:37 AM »