Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Video

Video Autofocus on Canon 6D?

<< < (2/3) > >>

verysimplejason:
no video AF on 6D.  If you want one, you can get 650D. :)

MK5GTI:

--- Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on September 24, 2012, 01:04:50 PM ---
Can you post some of your videos with that A99?  Not too many people have them yet.

--- End quote ---

Sorry, i didn't make it clear, i don't have the A99, but i think the SLT technology is the best if you want continuous AF in video mode, the A99 add a focus limiter so your focus wont jump during your clips, and the additional 100+ phase detection AF points embedded in the sensor, it tracks moving subject really well.

some complain i see is that AVCHD file size is smaller compare to Canon's newest, which is like broadcast quality if i am not mistaken

hkazmi:
AFAIK, its a choice Canon made as a company on higher end cameras

Video auto focus works using contrast detection, this is an inferior way of focusing compared to Phase detection.

Canon choose phase detection at the cost of not having auto focus on video, so focusing is better and faster with still pictures. Its a still camera, hence its upto you as a user... do you want inferior contrast detect focusing with video focusing or superior phase detect focusing on stills and no focus on video.

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: hkazmi on December 18, 2012, 12:14:03 PM ---AFAIK, its a choice Canon made as a company on higher end cameras

Video auto focus works using contrast detection, this is an inferior way of focusing compared to Phase detection.

Canon choose phase detection at the cost of not having auto focus on video, so focusing is better and faster with still pictures. Its a still camera, hence its upto you as a user... do you want inferior contrast detect focusing with video focusing or superior phase detect focusing on stills and no focus on video.

--- End quote ---

While it's true that Canon made the choice not to include video AF on the higher end models, on the T4i/650D ,video AF is implemented using dedicated sensor elements on the CMOS image sensor for phase detect AF. 

paul13walnut5:
Video AF is generally a waste of time.

I know its not for everybody but hyperfocal and zone focusing are a better idea, which requires a lens with markings and an awareness of the effect of focal length and aperture on depth of field.

Video af is lousy enough on 1/8th type consumer cameras, add in much larger sensors with the effect that has on Af and its a miracle some systems work as 'well' as they do.

Then the there is the issue of what to actually focus on, and to be able to track that when the subject and possibly the camera is moving.

In comparison, stills af only has to be in focus at moment you take the picture, a usable video af system would need to be fast intelligent adaptive and contiguous.

If you want video without having to focus then get a fixed lens canera like a flip, or a consumer cam with a tiny sensor.
If you want to shoot in focus video on a large sensor camera you need to do it yourself.  And believe me, it isn't easy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version