October 30, 2014, 08:19:46 AM

Author Topic: GPS, does anyone really use this???  (Read 3880 times)

Half Way To Nothing

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • A SLR one hit wonder..
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
GPS, does anyone really use this???
« on: September 17, 2012, 02:54:03 PM »
Hi,

I'm not a Pro and after reading about the new 6D I'm left wondering if anyone uses GPS on their camera. What are the advantages what do you gain from it? I understand that it pin points a place you took a photo, but I can remember where I took my pics. Is there a commercial advantage to it?

Just trying to understand this a little more,

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:10:36 PM by Half Way To Nothing »
Canon 5D mkiii / Canon 50D - Canon 24-105L f4 IS / Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS / Sigma 10-22 f4.5 / Sigma 120-300 OS f2.8 / Sigma 1.4 x / Sigma 2 X

canon rumors FORUM

GPS, does anyone really use this???
« on: September 17, 2012, 02:54:03 PM »

shining example

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: GPS, does anyone really use this???
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 09:04:54 PM »
I'd use it if I had a camera that had it built in. I tend to wander around for hours taking photos, just following my feet, and do sometimes have trouble figuring out afterwards where I took some of the resulting pics.

I wouldn't pay extra for it, buy a module or include it as a decisive factor in a camera purchase decision, though.

Half Way To Nothing

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • A SLR one hit wonder..
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 07:05:07 AM »
Can anyone else add to this??
Canon 5D mkiii / Canon 50D - Canon 24-105L f4 IS / Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS / Sigma 10-22 f4.5 / Sigma 120-300 OS f2.8 / Sigma 1.4 x / Sigma 2 X

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 08:00:04 AM »
I do a lot of hiking through dense bush where it's hard to know where you're located without GPS. It's a very handy feature on my iphone but of course the IQ of that device isn't even close to what I'd like to have on the trail. But I can see advantages even in an urban setting-  trying to remember where, exactly, that beautiful Victorian was in SFO? Geo-tagging solves that problem.
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 08:11:34 AM »
It's nice on a personal level but it's just another piece of organizational data, much like most of the EXIF data.  If, at some point, you want to gather all shots from location X, you can do so over the years.

In the end, it doesn't have a direct commercial application that I can see, aside from if you need to tell someone where something was, you have to look it up on a map, as opposed to have it typed in already.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

InterMurph

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 08:14:55 AM »
GPS is a great feature that I would have enabled 100% of the time.  It should be built into my 5D Mark III, as it is built into the 100+ million smart phones sold every year now.

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 08:26:21 AM »
I've never needed it but I would have it enabled 100% of the time, of course I would. Much easier to index your news photography that you upload to whatever place that sells your stuff.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 08:26:21 AM »

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 08:38:41 AM »
GPS is a great feature that I would have enabled 100% of the time.  It should be built into my 5D Mark III, as it is built into the 100+ million smart phones sold every year now.
Except you can't get a GPS signal through the all-metal body construction. The 6D has it because it has a plastic top case, which allows the signal through. Is GPS critical enough to you that you are willing to sacrifice build quality and weather sealing for it?

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 08:50:24 AM »
don't need it or want it. but then i don't like the idea of being tracked, some do.

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 09:04:24 AM »
well personally I don't need it and I don't want it. I guess it is mostly for those, who want their photos uploaded at Google Earth or do a lot of hiking.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:06:21 AM by AmbientLight »

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 09:14:39 AM »
If you shoot in your studio all the time, you don't need GPS.
But if you are a street, landscape or travel photographer it would be a nice thing to have.

Lightroom now support GPS tags natively it even display the map where the images were shots.

I would have the GPS feature enable all the time on my 1DX if it had one built in. the GPS addon is 320$ and add some bulk to a camera already big enough...

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 09:20:58 AM »
I see little pro use for it unless you are working for Nat Geo or something like that. It's nice for personal use though. I used to manually add it to photos, but it got to be to much of a pain. I'm curious to it's effects on battery life of the camera, and how well it performs indoors. Also, since the 6D has Wi-Fi, is it using Wi-Fi assistance in location tracking similar to your cell phone? One thing to be mindful of is you are sharing your photos online, make sure to strip the location from the meta data.

Caps18

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 09:27:35 AM »
YES!

I take lots of photos wile hiking around National Parks.  I like to know where and when I took the photos.  I don't always remember to change the time on my camera to local time too.
5D mark 2, 16-35mm f/2.8, 17mm TS-E f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4 + 1.4x, 580 EX Flash

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 09:27:35 AM »

miah

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 09:28:54 AM »
For travel writers/photographers, GPS is indispensable. No matter how good your memory, after tens of thousands of photos shot all over the world you cannot possibly recall where all of them were taken. Add-on devices, like the Canon GP-E1 for the D1X, 5D3 and 7D are expensive, bulky, add complexity, and serve a single purpose. Internal GPS, like in the 6D and Powershot S100, S110 have two downsides: they take too long to acquire satellites when you're frequently turning the camera on and off to conserve juice, and they consume more of your battery's power than the same camera body would without it. Far afield, when battery power is not easily replaced, this is a real concern.

I prefer to use a real GPS while shooting, like a Garmin CSx60, since it provides so much additional utility for navigating, setting waypoints, routing, tracking, etc, and is a far more sensitive and reliable receiver. I then use Early Innovations Photolinker software to match my daily GPS track to the day's photos. This tags each image with the appropriate coordinates in the EXIF data, shows you each image on a map, and allows for manual override when necessary (like when you're in a cave or slot canyon and loose the satellite signal). Lightroom 4 then displays each image's location on a world map once the image comes off of your memory card and into your computer.

I don't work for, am not sponsored by, or otherwise shill for any of these companies. This is just the best way that I've found to get my work done. There are a number of alternative geotagging software applications out there, but I haven't found any of them to come close to Jeff Early's Photolinker. It's fast, intuitive, comprehensive, and he regularly updates it. I hope this information proves useful.
T3i • 10-22 • 15-85 • 70-300DO *** 5D3 • 35 f/2 • 50 f/1.8 • 24-105L • 100L • 70-300L • 35-350L • 400L f/5.6

bakker

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 09:29:15 AM »
Can anyone else add to this??

I think GPS is just one of those features that you like for no reason. I'd love to have the location data written into the exif at the moment I take the shot. Especially in areas where maps are not exactly clear, like this one for example: https://maps.google.nl/maps?q=kilpisjarvi&hl=nl&ie=UTF8&ll=69.209282,21.490631&spn=0.104194,0.528374&hnear=Kilpisj%C3%A4rvi&t=h&z=12

But do I have a use for that extra data? No, it's absolutely useless.  ;D
So I don't want to spend €295 on it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 09:29:15 AM »