July 22, 2014, 05:39:12 PM

Author Topic: Sigma Announces Three New Lenses: 35 f/1.4, 17-70 f/2.8-4.0 OS & 120-300 f/2.8 OS  (Read 16107 times)

Imagination_landB

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
 :D yess! haha, I just looked at the specs of both sigma 120-300 OS models. The only things that has changed are the body finish, focus swith and lens metal hood, all the others specs are the exact same. The weight is not mentionned but I expect the same since the new lens is a bit larger (about .2 inches more lenght and diameter..) and the optics are the same on the image.
6D, Gripped 60D. 120-300 2.8 OS, 50 1.8, 8-16, 24-70 VC.

canon rumors FORUM

sleepy

Sorry if I seem ignorant, but I have a question about the MTF charts of the new Sigma 35mm 1.4 and the Canon 35mmL. If I'm reading it correctly, is the Canon sharper across the entire image at F8, but Sigma is slightly sharper at F1.4?

I was about to pull the trigger on Canon 35mmL but now am wondering if I should wait for the Sigma and read the reviews first.

Thanks.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
You buy an F1.4 to shoot large apertures but then i can see where you would want good performance for landscapes. I rarely ever see F8 on my cameras.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

willis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
35 F1.4 Will take my attention, not really into 17-70 and 120-300, let's wait first sample images.
EOS 7D

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
On POTN there have been a few 120-300OS failures dealing with the OS and AF systems so that's likely where the upgrades are plus the focus limiter switch.
I'm a bit of a noob...why would you want a focus limiter at all? What does that do for you?

TIA,

cayenne

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
On POTN there have been a few 120-300OS failures dealing with the OS and AF systems so that's likely where the upgrades are plus the focus limiter switch.
I'm a bit of a noob...why would you want a focus limiter at all? What does that do for you?

TIA,

cayenne

Say you're shooting something far away. But there's a fence or trees close (like you're shooting a bird or something). The subject keeps moving, so you have to keep re-aiming the lens. If you point at the nearer fence/trees, you will focus on that. But with the limiter switch, it will stay focussed far away, so keep focussing on the bird.

Or you're shooting at a track-and-field. Your subject is close, there's a nice stadium in the background. When the subject runs, you have to keep tracking, if you miss it for a second and point at the stadium in the background, the lens focusses far away, and you have to try to focus back on the subject (during which time Murphy will make sure you've missed your shot). Limit switch set to close means you always track your subject.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

floex712

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
The new 120-300mm is only a cosmetic and software upgrade. Guy from Sigma at Photokina states this fact. It is a cosmetic and software upgrade as all new sigma lenses will be able to be connected to a dock to "modify" their settings. One example he gives is that the AF can be modified to be faster or slower with compromises at each end.
Sigma USB Dock First Look Small | Large

canon rumors FORUM

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
The new 120-300mm is only a cosmetic and software upgrade. Guy from Sigma at Photokina states this fact. It is a cosmetic and software upgrade as all new sigma lenses will be able to be connected to a dock to "modify" their settings. One example he gives is that the AF can be modified to be faster or slower with compromises at each end.
Sigma USB Dock First Look

I'm not surprised, the design of that lens was pretty new and made little sense to modify it. If any, it sure had more mechanical than optical problems - I think to some extent deriving from the heavy weight of the lenses. If they managed to shrink it due to this new composite materials, then probably all the better for the AF motor and our backs.

Reading the specs though I think the 17-70mm was modified. We shall see what Sigma intends to do with the other lenses. A new version of the 24-70 f/2.8 HSM would be most welcome. That lens is amazing, but the bokeh is nauseating - strange enough, a feature in which Sigma often performs outstandingly.

MK5GTI

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
so the dock is included?

adjusting AF speed is nice, but anyway to finetune AF instead of going to a sigma repair facility to make adjustment?

although i never have problem with sigma's AF, just want to know.... coz with that function, nobody can complain anymore?  ;)

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • M.R.S. = my initials! www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
so the dock is included?

I hope not - rather not have the premium on each Sigma lens, and in the end have a bunch of those docks lying around. Wonder what the dock would cost though.
5D3, 5D2, NEX-6 | SY14mm f/2.8, Ʃ20mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, Ʃ35mm f/1.4A, 50mm f/1.8 I, Ʃ50mm f/1.4 EX, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12mm f/2, Ʃ19mm & 30mm f/2.8 EX DN, 16-50 & 55-210 OSS | 2x FT-QL, AE-1P, FD(n) & FL primes

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
Focus limiters are great if you're shooting stuff further away, because it prevents the lens from searching at closer ranges and it helps lock onto your target quicker.  One problem is that I forget its on sometimes and I can't focus on close things.  However, my 100mm will still search close with it on, but it tries the further range a few times first.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com | For Fun - http://thewalkingdeadrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM