November 01, 2014, 08:01:15 AM

Author Topic: Enough Full Frame Talk: Where are the 7D II Rumors?  (Read 11678 times)

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Enough Full Frame Talk: Where are the 7D II Rumors?
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2012, 12:40:35 PM »
Drop the MP's to about 16, Dramatically improve the noise, IQ and DR and upgrade the AF.
To me it's a no brainer!
BB.

+1,000,000

Unfortunately, Canon will likely keep the same sensor and AF - and will instead 'improve' the 7D with wireless, GPS, and built-in speakers.  :'(

... if the 7D gets an upgrade in the first place.
Looking at the 6D, Canon might be planning to have all their cameras reduced to Rebels - except for the 5DIII and 1DX.
You have to admit that this is a possibility.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:07:52 PM by x-vision »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2012, 12:40:35 PM »

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2012, 08:07:37 PM »
Canon's biggest concern right now is making a high MP / high DR full frame body - something to compete with Nikon's D800.

The 7D2 will probably have to wait.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2012, 08:14:24 PM »
The 7D mk II will sadly not likely come until January... :(.....
What is truth?

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2012, 08:17:37 PM »
The 7D mk II will sadly not likely come until January 2014... :(.....
edited to be more realistic
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2012, 08:32:55 PM »
Much better performance in high ISO say up to 6400 (improvements in RAW files not JPG only). 10fps. Even better Autofocus. Silent shooting would be nice too.

I believe these improvements would be enough to make it a killer APS-C camera. In fact I would get this instead of a bigger telephoto! And of course we can all dream  :(

P.S Price around 1.8K tops

pierceography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2012, 12:23:37 PM »
Personally, at the top of my wish list is the ability to control the camera with a phone (i.e. iOS or Android app).  I don't care about the built in hardware, but if Canon were to introduce a dongle that, at the very least, would allow phones to communicate either wirelessly or through a cable.  I know you can do this with a laptop, but I rarely carry mine when shooting (who wants to drag around an extra 7lbs?)... especially when an iPad/iPhone has most everything I need in the short term.

But I'm fairly happy with my 5D mark iii and the expanded AEB, which was a huge reason for wanting tethered shooting -- camera shake during HDR exposures and all.

As a slight aside, the only real feature I'm slightly jealous of the 6D having is wifi, since I see this as a possible route to truly controlling the camera wirelessly.  Nikon definitely got that one right... :-\

The remote control with your phone is already available.  See "DSLR Controller" on the Google Play Store.  You have to use a USB cable, but it really works.  Works for all new Canon cameras and some older ones.

I see that al2 beat me to mentioning "DSLR Controller".  I agree that it really works with my 7D and can even control my 40D within the 40D's Liveview limitations.

http://dslrcontroller.com/

How about an iOS (iPhone) app?  Far as I know, these don't exist... which is a real shame, since I really don't care for Android.
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2012, 12:25:27 PM »
The 7D mk II will sadly not likely come until January 2014... :(.....
edited to be more realistic
;D  ;D  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2012, 12:25:27 PM »

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2012, 08:57:36 AM »
Much better performance in high ISO say up to 6400 (improvements in RAW files not JPG only). 10fps. Even better Autofocus. Silent shooting would be nice too.

I believe these improvements would be enough to make it a killer APS-C camera. In fact I would get this instead of a bigger telephoto! And of course we can all dream  :(

Uh the original was $1699.00 when released. You actually expect them to only add $100 to the price? This is how we get people going thermonuclear when the product ends up being ridiculously expensive in people's minds. Have realistic expectations and then it's not as big a shock when the price comes out. I could see them pricing this the same as the 6D at $2100. Then you have the choice of better AF and body construction or a Full frame with Higher  ISO sensitivity. BTW my 5D mark ii is only marginal at 6400 so I wouldn't expect 6400 to be super useful on a crop body. I think if they're smart they might work on something that they have more control over say DR and an increase in MP possibly.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2012, 09:06:14 AM »
With that price it'd better be a revolution though.

Just a new sensor and 5d3's AF would make for an incremental upgrade, making that price look ridiculous. Unless the sensor is so good to make Sony execute all their engineers.

Tech advancements are about having more for the same price, not just getting on par with today's standards for +25% price increase. This is what make people thermonuclear.

The 70D/7D2 vs D7100/D400 battle will be another interesting milestone.

Gothmoth

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2012, 09:07:56 AM »
Have realistic expectations and then it's not as big a shock when the price comes out.

so same sensor same AF, wifi and GPS and a price around 2000$....   8)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2012, 09:42:10 AM »

Uh the original was $1699.00 when released. You actually expect them to only add $100 to the price? This is how we get people going thermonuclear when the product ends up being ridiculously expensive in people's minds. Have realistic expectations and then it's not as big a shock when the price comes out. I could see them pricing this the same as the 6D at $2100. Then you have the choice of better AF and body construction or a Full frame with Higher  ISO sensitivity. BTW my 5D mark ii is only marginal at 6400 so I wouldn't expect 6400 to be super useful on a crop body. I think if they're smart they might work on something that they have more control over say DR and an increase in MP possibly.
I didn't say perfect at 6400. I said better. And it's only electronics. Cost shouldn't rise much unless they simply want to profit much more. The body does not need serious improvements.

DB

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2012, 10:16:03 AM »
2 things:

(1) PRICE - everyone is once again underestimating what Canon may or may not charge for a 7D2 (if they ever get around to building one). The Canon Marketing executive interviewed by Gordan Laing of CameraLabs @ Photokina, desperately went out of his way to say that although the 6D fits in the numerical range between the 7D and 5D it is NOT a linear product positioning....what does he mean by this? He means the $2099 6D got the '6' designation because it is FF, but he qualified his remarks by stating that it was in essence a FF 60D (for amateurs). This my friends leaves the door wide open for Canon to introduce a 7D mark II for Semi-Professionals (Pro's & serious enthusiasts) and price it significantly above the new 6D. The strict linear interpretation would dictate that in terms of price: 1D > 5D > 7D , however, what Canon employee said indirectly was 6D > 7D does not necessarily have to hold true. Why else would he go to such lengths to stress that 6D is not the same as other xD designations.

(2) FEATURES - everyone wants more DR, better ISO & low-light performance, dual memory cards etc. and are willing to sacrifice MP, accessory features like GPS + WiFi, because most of you already own a Canon DSLR which does not have this whizzy new features (so you won't miss what you've never had) and you wish that your current camera body had better IQ. Canon on the other hand, want to sell new cameras, not just to you guys (existing customers) but to new customers as well, so <18MP is a non-runner as is not having WiFi etc.

Wanting more (IQ) for less (money) does not compute for Canon -> they'll happily sell you a 1DX

Rockets95

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2012, 08:49:11 AM »
So, trying to be realistic here: what features do you expect/hope to see in the 7D?

My list is short: Less noise at ISO 1600-6400; an even better autofocus; a little more weatherproofing; CF Card slot (don't care if they also include an SD, but I wants my CF); and that ability to control the camera through your smartphone using WiFi.
What makes your short list?
Everything on your list plus more Dynamic Range, and I'd be good!
So few upgrades on the current 7D?
I'm afraid the guys at dpreview will write again "this is not a WOW! camera".
Now that I've seen the "bells and whistles" on the 6D, throw in built-in GPS, WiFi, and Smartphone Remote.
7D, WFT-E5A, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II, 24-105 F/4.0L, 10-22 F/3.5-4.5, 580EX-II, Wife has: 5D2, 70-200 4.0L IS, 100 2.8L IS macro, 24-105 F/4.0L IS, 17-40 F/4.0L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2012, 08:49:11 AM »

M.ST

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2012, 09:12:38 AM »
I want so see a cf card slot or a CF/SD card slot in it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2012, 09:12:38 AM »