Gear Talk > PowerShot

Down to the RX100 or G15...

<< < (2/5) > >>

powershot2012:
Very nice.  Given the size difference and better IQ, you only helped me lean towards the RX100.  :)

Do you normally shoot at 20MP or is there any noticeable difference in IQ at 10MP; your thoughts?

--- Quote from: DianeK on September 17, 2012, 07:25:00 PM ---I wasn't liking the direction Canon was going and so I am glad I got the RX100.  At first I was a little disappointed that the Sony does not have a macro setting so I decided to see how tight I could crop an image to get macro details.  Sample below with uncropped and cropped image.  For something I can put in my pocket when I don't want to carry my 7D and 100mm lens, I am satisfied with the Sony performance

--- End quote ---

verysimplejason:
If you already own an SLR, you might be interested with a Canon G11/G12/G15.  Having that real macro mode is still better because you can focus properly.  Focusing correctly is crucial most of the time when using macro.  However, don't let me stop you from getting an RX100.  It's better than Canon offerings for most types of photography.  These are all taken with my old trusty G11.

Mt Spokane Photography:
I stopped in a our local camera store today and looked at the RX100.
Strike 1 - The first thing I noticed was the lack of a grip, so I started out disappointed. 

Strike 2 - Then I tried to focus on various objects, and found I could not focus to something I thought was reasonably close, maybe a foot, more or less.

Then, I found that even with my large hands and fingers, I could operate the controls reasonably well.  That was a plus.
The short zoom range was a bit disappointing.

I felt that the camera overall was pretty good, too bad I'd have to buy a aftermarket grip, otherwise I'd be dropping it a lot.  The lack of a close focus position is not a huge deal if the camera were to cost $250, but for the price, it was a big disappointment.
I'm still considering it, they will have the Canon M series next week the salesman told me.
If  the price of the G1 X drops more, it might be in my price range by Christmas.

verysimplejason:

--- Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on October 16, 2012, 08:45:00 PM ---I stopped in a our local camera store today and looked at the RX100.
Strike 1 - The first thing I noticed was the lack of a grip, so I started out disappointed. 

Strike 2 - Then I tried to focus on various objects, and found I could not focus to something I thought was reasonably close, maybe a foot, more or less.

Then, I found that even with my large hands and fingers, I could operate the controls reasonably well.  That was a plus.

I felt that the camera overall was pretty good, too bad I'd have to buy a aftermarket grip, otherwise I'd be dropping it a lot.  The lack of a close focus position is not a huge deal if the camera were to cost $250, but for the price, it was a big disappointment.
I'm still considering it, they will have the Canon M series next week the salesman told me.
If  the price of the G1 X drops more, it might be in my price range by Christmas.

--- End quote ---

G1X sounds better though heavier.  I've also found G1X enjoyable to use than RX100.  My only gripes is that its macro mode is disappointing also.  EOS M might be a better alternative but it's bigger and bulkier and costlier.  But it's also the perfect backup camera.  :)

Mt Spokane Photography:

--- Quote from: verysimplejason on October 16, 2012, 10:40:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on October 16, 2012, 08:45:00 PM ---I stopped in a our local camera store today and looked at the RX100.

--- End quote ---

G1X sounds better though heavier.  I've also found G1X enjoyable to use than RX100.  My only gripes is that its macro mode is disappointing also.  EOS M might be a better alternative but it's bigger and bulkier and costlier.  But it's also the perfect backup camera.  :)

--- End quote ---
Yes, there seems to never be a perfect camera that fits all of us.  I'm not complaining, because I prefer to have competition and new features, which automatically insures that they will not be boring and all alike.

I kept trying to use the touch screen on the G1X and RX100, but no amount of wishing would make one appear :)

Thats somethinng that really works well on the T4i for someone with big clumsy fingers.  Just touch the spot that you want in focus and its done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version