October 22, 2014, 12:09:26 PM

Author Topic: EOS 6D...a bit lackluster...but with a couple gems?  (Read 2617 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
EOS 6D...a bit lackluster...but with a couple gems?
« on: September 17, 2012, 04:49:36 PM »
I just read through dpreviews preview of the Canon EOS 6D. I'm not particularly impressed with this camera...I was really hoping it would get a better AF system and maybe a better sensor, to indicate Canon IS indeed capable of competing. I'm not sure I really believe Canon can dig themselves out of the technological hole they are in regarding sensor technology...but I guess only time will really tell.

For all the nay-saying in general about the 6D, there do seem to be a couple really nice things about it. For one...its f/2.8 AF point is sensitive down to EV -3. That is, as far as I know, pretty unheard of. Most low-light AF cameras work down to EV -2. Canon seems to be positioning this camera for low-light AF accuracy, not AF speed. Thats all well and good...but it is rather disappointing to see it competing against Nikon's 39pt AF system in the D600.

The two true gems, though, are the BULT IN (YEAH!!!) GPS and Wi-Fi. No need for a adapter for either, no need to choose one or the other...both are built right into the camera body! Now that is pretty sweet, if you ask me...and about damn time! Canon may not have modern image sensor tech and may have lackluster AF systems in most of their cameras, but seeing them include built-in GPS AND Wi-Fi is a nice change of tactic. Maybe they still do have a smidge of competitiveness left in their ailing bones...

canon rumors FORUM

EOS 6D...a bit lackluster...but with a couple gems?
« on: September 17, 2012, 04:49:36 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 6D...a bit lackluster...but with a couple gems?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 05:00:37 PM »
I'm really wondering how a native ISO of 25600 is not modern sensor tech.  The D600 is all of 6400.  Of course, its only hype, so we need to see the real tests, but, as long as we are comparing on paper, the sensor sounds pretty good.  The AF is still a unknown, if the 11 points work, then thats fine for the intended users.
Another gem is the ability to autofocus at -3 EV.  That is better than any Canon DSLR to date.  Its literally focusing in the dark, and just whats needed when you are using that ISO 25600.

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 05:09:55 PM »
I'm really wondering how a native ISO of 25600 is not modern sensor tech.  The D600 is all of 6400.  Of course, its only hype, so we need to see the real tests, but, as long as we are comparing on paper, the sensor sounds pretty good.  The AF is still a unknown, if the 11 points work, then thats fine for the intended users.
Another gem is the ability to autofocus at -3 EV.  That is better than any Canon DSLR to date.  Its literally focusing in the dark, and just whats needed when you are using that ISO 25600.

The only way Canon could achieve ISO 25600 was by weakening their color filter array. Red and Blue pixels are much more sensitive to green light than they used to be. Canon didn't innovate anything new there, for the 1D X, 5D III, or 6D. They cheated. I don't really call that modern, I call it cheap.

As for -3 EV, I think I mentioned that was a gem in my post above. Its certainly unheard of in any DSLR to date as fa as I know...previously the lowest light sensitivity was EV -2 (at least as far as I know). And it would be focusing in full-moon moonlight, not really the dark. When we can AF at EF -6, which would be starlight, then I'll be thoroughly impressed.

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 05:29:09 PM »

The only way Canon could achieve ISO 25600 was by weakening their color filter array. Red and Blue pixels are much more sensitive to green light than they used to be. Canon didn't innovate anything new there, for the 1D X, 5D III, or 6D. They cheated. I don't really call that modern, I call it cheap.

As for -3 EV, I think I mentioned that was a gem in my post above. Its certainly unheard of in any DSLR to date as fa as I know...previously the lowest light sensitivity was EV -2 (at least as far as I know). And it would be focusing in full-moon moonlight, not really the dark. When we can AF at EF -6, which would be starlight, then I'll be thoroughly impressed.
I metioned the 6D may have the similar AF module as the new pentax k-5 II in another thread when digicame-info suggested the rumored 6D may have strong low light detection module.
The Pentax K-5 II was announced 8 days ago claimed:
"The 16MP Pentax K-5 II DSLR is the company's 2012 flagship camera. It is built around a weather-sealed magnesium alloy and is bundled with the SAFOX X, autofocus sensor. This is designed to work in lower light than any of its rivals (down to -3EV) it will also provide greater accuracy when working with F2.8 and fast lenses. The SAFOX X also features more sophisticated focus tracking, to keep focus when the subject moves off the original focus point."
http://www.dpreview.com/products/pentax/slrs/pentax_k5ii

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 05:37:01 PM »

I metioned the 6D may have the similar AF module as the new pentax k-5 II in another thread when digicame-info suggested the rumored 6D may have strong low light detection module.
"The 16MP Pentax K-5 II DSLR is the company's 2012 flagship camera. It is built around a weather-sealed magnesium alloy and is bundled with the SAFOX X, autofocus sensor. This is designed to work in lower light than any of its rivals (down to -3EV) it will also provide greater accuracy when working with F2.8 and fast lenses. The SAFOX X also features more sophisticated focus tracking, to keep focus when the subject moves off the original focus point."

Ah, so -3 EV isn't unheard of, its just really rare and relatively new. Out of curiosity, how many cross-type points does the K5 II have? None? One? Many?

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 05:49:35 PM »

Ah, so -3 EV isn't unheard of, its just really rare and relatively new. Out of curiosity, how many cross-type points does the K5 II have? None? One? Many?
It has 11 AF points and 9 of them are cross type points. Nothing can be worse than 6D's AF nowdays.
Frankly, I don't think a -3EV AF can work without an Autofocus assist lamp, let's wait and see.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:54:39 PM by simonxu11 »

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 06:07:38 PM »

It has 11 AF points and 9 of them are cross type points. Nothing can be worse than 6D's AF nowdays.
Frankly, I don't think a -3EV AF can work without an Autofocus assist lamp, let's wait and see.

If thats the case, then the 6D's AF system is once again a major weak point. I don't know why Canon insists on mediocrity, but its getting old and frustrating.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 06:07:38 PM »

Noink Fanb0i

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 12:45:10 PM »
Also, Canon never mentioned how responsive and accurate the AF would be at -3EV light levels. They only said it would focus. What if it takes 1 minute of half-pressing the shutter release button to get there?   :P
T3 is the bobn2 of Canon fanb0is.

Noink Fanb0i

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 12:53:02 PM »
Pentax already beat the 6D by a week or so:

Pentax K-5 II AF:

11 point SAFOX X autofocus system

New, highly advanced and accurate 11 point SAFOX X autofocus system offers the widest EV focus range in its class and is ideal for focusing in low conditions, as low as -3EV.

Type: SAFOX X TTL phase-difference 11 point (9 cross) wide autofocus system with light wavelength sensor
Focus modes: AF Single (w focus lock, focus/shutter priority selectable), AF Continuous (w focus/FPS priority selectable), Manual
Focus point adjustment: Auto 11 Point, Auto 5 Point, User-Selectable, Center
AF assist: Yes, via dedicated LED AF assist lamp

T3 is the bobn2 of Canon fanb0is.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 12:53:02 PM »