April 21, 2014, 02:29:51 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* The Big White Lenses [CR2.5]  (Read 11186 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
*UPDATE* The Big White Lenses [CR2.5]
« on: August 17, 2010, 03:54:16 PM »

*UPDATE*

Do not 100% quote me on which of the 2 big white lenses will be announced. It could be the 300 & 400 or 500& 600. I’m still working that out. The 300 f/2.8L IS seems to be the #1 candidate.

I’m still working on when.

Updated Supertelephotos

I own a lens rental company and buy these big things. I own all the Canon supertelephotos. I was going to buy one more of 2 of the lenses and was told some things.

World Cup

I reported in the past here & here that new Supertelephotos were at the World Cup. We’ve also reported lens hood design changes for the big lenses.

Big White Lenses Being Replaced

300 f/2.8L IS

400 f/2.8L IS

500 f/4L IS

600 f/4L IS

Now what may happen is only 2 of them being replaced at one time. The most likely candidates are the 300 f/2.8L IS & 600 f/4L IS.

What will be upgraded?

The obvious upgrades will be the IS systems and coatings on the elements.

The BIG feature will be significant weight reduction. How much? I can’t say, but that’s what I’m told.

How much will they be?

If you want an ultra sharp out of this world supertelephoto from Canon, just buy any of the current ones. I own them all and they’re great. The new ones will come it AT LEAST 25% more expensive.

When?

This is why it’s [CR2.5], I don’t have a definitive time-frame. I’m told “soon”.

Lens Hood Design

I for one think the current lens hood design is annoying at the best of times. The one thing I do like is that the fastening mechanism is reliable, I have yet to see one break. If they do redesign the hood locking mechanism, lets hope it holds up over time.

What about the 200 f/2L IS & 800 f/5.6L IS?

I’m not sure if either of these are included in the supertelephoto replacement. Outside of perhaps a new hood, I can’t see them included.

400 f/4 DO IS?

I’ve heard nothing about a replacement for this lens.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

*UPDATE* The Big White Lenses [CR2.5]
« on: August 17, 2010, 03:54:16 PM »

Canon 14-24

Re: The Big White Lenses [CR2.5]
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 04:22:15 PM »
What about a 300 f/4 IS II, 400 5.6 IS, or even a 500 5.6 IS?

Richard

Re: *UPDATE* The Big White Lenses [CR2.5]
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 05:02:32 PM »
I was just looking at the 600mm f/4 and wondering when it was going to be upgraded. Not that I'm going to get it soon though. Would like to know if/when the 300 f/4 will be upgraded, as it was released 13 years ago. IIRC, its one of the oldest L series lenses that Canon makes.

CAT in HAWAII

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 05:14:15 PM »

<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">The obvious upgrades will be the IS systems and coatings on the elements.</span></strong></p>
<p>The BIG feature will be significant weight reduction. How much? I can’t say, but that’s what I’m told.</p>
<p><strong>How much will they be?<br />

<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">If you want an ultra sharp out of this world supertelephoto from Canon, just buy any of the current ones. I own them all and they’re great. The new ones will come it AT LEAST 25% more expensive.</span></strong></p>
<p><strong>When?<br />

<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">This is why it’s </span>[CR2.5]<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">, I don’t have a definitive time-frame. I’m told “soon”.</span> </strong></p>
<p><strong>Lens Hood Design<br />

<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">I for one think the current lens hood design is annoying at the best of times. The one thing I do like is that the fastening mechanism is reliable, I have yet to see one break. If they do redesign the hood locking mechanism, lets hope it holds up over time.</span></strong></p>
<p><span style=\"font-weight: normal;\"><strong>What about the 200 f/2L IS & 800 f/5.6L IS?<br />

<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">I’ve heard nothing about a replacement for this lens.</span> </strong></p>
<p><strong><span style=\"color: #ff0000;\">c</span>r</strong></p>
[/html]
[/quote]

Oh well, maybe the weight reduction will trickle down
In a few years to something I could readily afford,,,,

Nice to dream though! ::)

stark-arts

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 05:19:28 PM »
it would make a lot of sense to update these as Nikon has made MAJOR inroads into this once dominant Canon world in recent years. If they can really make them lighter while making them as sharp or sharper than they are now would make the 25 percent just about worth it in the crazy world of 5000 dollar and up lenses...

mbonin83

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 08:09:43 PM »
I just bought a brand new 300 f2.8 IS in May.  I can't believe they are updating the damn thing already - just my luck....

they say the current one produces some of the best images of any Canon lens - how can it get any better?

Justin

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »
Oh snap!!! This gets me excited.

Although I don't actually believe the super teles need much upgrading. A 300 that we could stick a 2x on and still maintain excellent sharpness would kill on a 7D for a portable in the field wildlife kit.

Also, it's not the lenses that are getting Nikon more sideline action, it's the D3s. It's a shame Canon hasn't answered.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »

J-Man

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
I too was wondering "no 400(500,600)/5.6IS?"
The biggest noticeable changes will be in IS(#stops) and AF speed, & weight,also weather sealing.
IQ has very little room to improve, they are some of the best performing lenses.

Justin

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 10:30:26 PM »
Also, how wold these lenses be made lighter? Carbon fiber? Smaller feet? Unless they DO these lenses I don't see how they make them much lighter.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 11:17:20 PM »
I too was wondering "no 400(500,600)/5.6IS?"

Same here. These big white lenses are all very cool, but to be candid I'm more interested in lenses I might actually be able to afford. The 400 f5.6 is now almost old enough to vote. Adding IS seems long overdue.

Of course, I'd also like to see Canon update the 100-400 push-pull zoom, but have pretty much reconciled myself to accepting that will never happen. Now I'm waiting for Tokina's long-delayed stabilized 80-400. If it's as well made as their 11-16 f2.8 wide angle, I'll be satisfied.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Grummbeerbauer

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 02:06:37 AM »
Not that I am currently on the market for one of the big whites, but adding another 25% on the already quite confident prices of the current models seems a bit overenthusiastic on Canon's side. While price might not be too much an issue for professional sports shooters when it comes to deciding between Canon or Nikon, it could still tip the balance (even more) in Nikon's favor.
However, given Canon's recent pricing trends, I still believe it. Question is: do they charge the extra 25% also in their home market prices in Yen and are now just using the introduction of new models to do additional long-needed currency adjustments (after all the Yen has been skyrocketing in the last two years against both $ and €). Or will Yen prices also increase by 25%?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:19:59 AM by Grummbeerbauer »

Stuart

• Rebel T5i
  • Hi there, welcome from a photo fan.
    • View Profile
    • JackAllTog on ePhotozine
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 05:10:36 AM »
So why would this not be another 2 DO lenses? If the existing lenses are great but expensive then a decent set of DO lenses could be ideal - the other option for lighter could be not such a wide aperture - e.g. F4 not F2.8?
Canon 60D, 24-105, 50 F1.8. 430EX II.
Sigma 10-20, 70 F2.8, 70-300. Studio.
Giotto tripod, Hoya filters.

Isurus

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 07:33:52 AM »
I'm hoping "reduced weight" doesn't mean they are going to continue the trend of using plastic construction for their L lenses and these in particular (I'm looking at you 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro and 24mm f/1.4 L II).  I'm really not a huge fan a plastic construction.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 07:33:52 AM »

Bob Howland

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 07:47:03 AM »
As the owner of a 300 f/2.8 and a couple TCs, the best way to "improve" that lens is to make a 200-500 f/2.8-4 zoom that is optically just as good.

SMP_Homer

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 09:40:29 AM »
Does the 100-400L qualify as a big white lens that could be updated?
I wouldn't mind seeing an update to it - but I would prefer an alternative lens, like a 200-400 f4 or 120-300 2.8 to run alongside it instead of replacing it....   replace it, I'm not upgrading (mine is just fine for what I do) but release something faster, and I'm all ears...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 09:40:29 AM »