December 20, 2014, 05:31:15 PM

Author Topic: Who really is the target demographic for the 6D?  (Read 15388 times)

ahsanford

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Who really is the target demographic for the 6D?
« on: September 17, 2012, 05:37:01 PM »
My friend and I have been exchanging messages back and forth about the 6D's target demographic.  He would believe that this is aimed at wealthy folks who might leave the camera in an auto mode.  (Hence, no need for the nicer AF of more recent systems.)  I really think otherwise, that it's aimed at enthusiasts.  I'm not looking to win an argument here, I'm just curious what you folks think (by demographic / bucket of people) about to whom this new rig is aimed?

I think we'd all agree that this is principally aimed at people looking to get their first FF camera.  But who are these people?  Just spitballing here, I would guess...
  • Enthusiasts who always wanted FF but have always blanched at the price.  This thing seems dead nuts aimed at 60D and 7D users that don't value those cameras for the APS-C length / speed but value them for being 'higher end'. (I know some sports and birding folks who love their 7D for length / speed reasons -- this would not be aimed at them.)
  • Journalism / photography students -- textbooks are still built around FF old-school 35mm film lengths and rules, right?  Wouldn't APS-C multiples just foul that up?
  • Perhaps a just-starting-out pro photographer's choice until he makes enough money to warrant a pro rig.
  • Serious tourists / landscape fans -- people who own tripods and spend a day shooting a national park.
  • People who often enlarge their shots and long for better IQ over their APS-C rigs?

Personally, I think the 6D is really a 5D2 with a few nice features to buoy the price for the next 2 years.  The 5D2's price would have plummeted were it left on the market and this was not released, right?

But what do you folks think?  Who is this really aimed at?

canon rumors FORUM

Who really is the target demographic for the 6D?
« on: September 17, 2012, 05:37:01 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Who really is the target demographic for the 6D?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 05:57:48 PM »
Isn't obvious?  Its intended to fall between the 7D and the 5D.  Its a upgrade for the 60D users or even 7D owners.  Its a low cost entry level FF.
Wealthy buyers will get a M9, they don't go for low end models.

jfretless

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 06:04:33 PM »
Show up with $2100 and Canon will surely explain to you why you are the exact person they made the camera for.

After a morning of being frustrated at Canon, I'm finished trying to figure out the why's and who's of this camera. 

It's unhealthy getting worked up at company that surely does not have you in their thought process.

Oh, and more thing, what exactly a "pro rig"?  How much money do I have to spend on equipment to become a pro?  ...and once I cross that threshold, do I get a membership card and/or a t-shirt?

I'm certain that this camera in the hands of a "pro" is surely capable of capturing images that can make money.

Fishnose

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 06:09:13 PM »
A number of things come to mind:

1. Compacts such as mirrorless etc are getting pretty darn good and are squeezing the market for low-end DSLRs - time for Canon and Nikon to push upwards, dragging their customers with them, to more advanced and more expensive cameras.

2. Getting people into FF opens up the secondary market for higfh quality lenses.

3. Interest in photography has grown absolutely enormously since digital became the norm. This gives a far greater potential market.

4. China and other countries where buying power is increasing exponentially are extremely important. A wider range of models means more potential buyers climb on board.

Canon and Nikon don't care who buys their products. All money smells the same.

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 06:16:46 PM »
My friend and I have been exchanging messages back and forth about the 6D's target demographic.  He would believe that this is aimed at wealthy folks who might leave the camera in an auto mode.  (Hence, no need for the nicer AF of more recent systems.)  I really think otherwise, that it's aimed at enthusiasts.  I'm not looking to win an argument here, I'm just curious what you folks think (by demographic / bucket of people) about to whom this new rig is aimed?

I think both you and your friend are right. The 6D will appeal to both rich people that will leave it in green square mode, and some tech savvy enthusiasts. I'd consider getting one as a backup to my 5D3 if it weren't for the small form factor, but it's micro-body size is a deal breaker for me even as a backup. The 6D's AF looks very underwhelming on paper, and it's burst rate is quite lethargic, so I'll just keep my 5DC as a backup since it already has the underwhelming AF and lethargic burst rate factors covered ;D

I almost never go to my backup body, but if I do ever upgrade my 5DC, I'll skip right past the 6D and go with a 5D2 or a 1D4.

crasher8

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 06:31:19 PM »
It's for people who would like to buy a D600 but have too much invested in Canon glass.

Stewbyyy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Stuart Comerford Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 06:33:03 PM »
The 6D is nearly perfect for me. I'm an aspiring professional, I get most of my work photographing music events. I've been looking to upgrade from my 60D to a full frame camera for quite a while now, I'm after the improved low light performance really.

Everything about the 6D is great for me, it's a perfect upgrade from the 60D. Except the AF system... having only one cross type point seems to me like it's a worse AF system than the 60D? The 60D is fine for what I do, it manages. The only reason I never upgraded to a 5D Mark II was because of the poor AF system... I'm disappointed that Canon seem to have flopped with this AF system.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 06:33:03 PM »

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 06:33:10 PM »
It's for people who would like to buy a D600 but have too much invested in Canon glass.

Good one ;D

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 06:35:19 PM »

almost correct. Wealthy people go for Leica M -> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/17/Leica-M-full-frame-24MP-CMOS-rangefinder-with-focus-peaking-live-view-and-1080p-movies
Not so wealthy people get a stripped down, but still all looks Leica M-E ... http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/17/Leica-M-E-18MP-stripped-down-full-frame-rangefinder
 ;D

Canon 6D will be bought by family snapshooters and by old farts, who believe FF to be the holy grain, but where on APS-C up to now, because they are not wealthy enough to afford a 5D 3 or even better a Nikon D800 for only 800 more than what the pitiful 6D costs. 

dash2k8

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 06:59:26 PM »
"2. Getting people into FF opens up the secondary market for higfh quality lenses."

I totally agree with this.

Someone else said that it's for ppl who want a D600 but invested too much in Canon glass. I agree, too. It's the Canon equivalent of the D600.

I speak from experience that the word (or words) "full-frame" has a mythical aura to it for people who've only ever used APS-C. Once they actually go FF, the novelty lasts maybe a month or so (for me, anyway) before it becomes the norm. I recall entering a vast new realm of visual freedom with my 1Ds3, then eventually took that for granted. So maybe the 6D is a cheaper fix for ppl who dream of entering said realm.

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 07:02:14 PM »
It's just another price point being offered by Canon. The 5DII will be soon discontinued leaving this as their 2k model.

I seriously dont understand all the angry/ complaining posts- every camera model that is released isn't intended to be sold to every Canon user. If it is not for you, move on.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 07:03:36 PM »

Good one ;D

Exactly. If you have money for such an investment in lenses, you have money for the body too. Those people are not buying a 6D.

ahsanford

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 07:15:39 PM »
Isn't obvious?  Its intended to fall between the 7D and the 5D.  Its a upgrade for the 60D users or even 7D owners.  Its a low cost entry level FF.

Fair, but a number of 7D users choose it not because they can't afford FF, but because they want the best APS-C SLR they can buy:

1) They won't have to lug as large/expensive of a lens for a given target, or if they want their long glass to go 1.6x longer, it can.
2) They want a working AF system!  The 7D AF is widely considered better than the 5D2 (and by extension, one would think this new 6D as well).
3) Is there another recent 8 FPS Canon DSLR under $2k?  I'm not aware of one.
4) For some folks, the IQ that FF brings is secondary to just getting the shot.

Birders and sports guys are awfully fond of their 7D cameras from what I'm told.  This shouldn't get them flipping over to FF, IMHO, as that may be the last thing they want to do.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:22:14 PM by ahsanford »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 07:15:39 PM »

ahsanford

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 07:18:59 PM »
A number of things come to mind:

1. Compacts such as mirrorless etc are getting pretty darn good and are squeezing the market for low-end DSLRs - time for Canon and Nikon to push upwards, dragging their customers with them, to more advanced and more expensive cameras.

2. Getting people into FF opens up the secondary market for higfh quality lenses.

3. Interest in photography has grown absolutely enormously since digital became the norm. This gives a far greater potential market.

4. China and other countries where buying power is increasing exponentially are extremely important. A wider range of models means more potential buyers climb on board.

Canon and Nikon don't care who buys their products. All money smells the same.

(1) and (2) above are Canon strategic goals, but not necessarily target demos for the camera.  From the user perspective, who will want this with a little more description than 'people between product A and product B'?

I think (3) and (4) are excellent insights.  In theory, there are so many (for example) people running around with Rebels that they are up for their 2nd or 3rd body purchase and wonder what is a step up. 

That said, I still feel this is a 5D2 with a few user-friendly upgrades.   :-)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:23:02 PM by ahsanford »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 07:19:39 PM »
If somebody can make a very good lens adapter (aperture/AF) so I can use a Nikon body, I'll buy D600 in an instant.  I'm an enthusiast photographer who's still learning to be a professional.  Right now, I'm disappointed with 6D.  I'll just save my money for 5D4.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 07:19:39 PM »