October 20, 2014, 08:22:25 AM

Author Topic: Who really is the target demographic for the 6D?  (Read 14721 times)

chadders

Re: Who really is the target demographic for the 6D?
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2012, 11:24:40 AM »
So, to cut to the chase, the target demographic is the xxD/xxxD shooter who likes to take landscape/travel photos and/or shoot HD video. Undoubtedly these are the people that Canon Inc. is targeting with this new DSLR

Finally, as an additional boon to Canon, by pricing this new camera above two thousand dollars, they also achieve a 3rd objective - they've persuaded many other xD owners (5Dc/5D2/7D) who are considering upgrading their body to bite the bullet and pay up for a new 5D mark III.

Spot on!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2012, 11:24:40 AM »

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »
I agree, too. This actually makes sense.

DB

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2012, 05:09:51 PM »
Actually check out this pretty decent interview that Gordan of Cameralabs did with a Canon executive at Photokina, he outright states that the 6D is not in between the 7D and 5D, but rather a budget FF for get this; "Landscape, Portrait & Travel Photographers" as it is the smallest and lightest of the FF bodies.

Plus he also states that it is targeted @ 60D and xxxD owners (his words) etc., basically agreeing with what most of us here on CR already knew and said....

Canon EOS 6D preview interview

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2012, 05:32:18 PM »
Plus he also states that it is targeted @ 60D and xxxD owners (his words) etc., basically agreeing with what most of us here on CR already knew and said....

At least good to know Canon execs didn't loose their marbles completely yet and don't try to stage the 6d vs the d600. And good to know CR speculation isn't far off the mark concerning the 6d as a tourist landscape camera. Let's hope Canon gets a grip regarding the competition soon, and that means reasonable prices and features.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:44:10 PM by Marsu42 »

Canon-F1

« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2012, 05:36:40 PM »
And good to know CR speculation isn't far off the mark concerning the 6d as a tourist landscape camera.

so lets hope canon will start to make a cheap "photographer" FF camera soon....

Canon-F1

« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2012, 05:40:40 PM »
Exactly. If you have money for such an investment in lenses, you have money for the body too. Those people are not buying a 6D.

nah.... there are some intelligent people who invest more in glass then in bodys.  ;)

i have lenses that cost 3000-5000 euro but i would never spend that much on a body.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2012, 05:49:08 PM »
Actually check out this pretty decent interview that Gordan of Cameralabs

Btw, for people that don't watch the interview: He states that the 6d sensor will have the same iq as the 5d3, with the 20mp version optimized for cost. So no reason for hope here, Canon obviously expects the 6d to fall in price considerably and to be a lightweight travel (backup) body. Makes sense if you see a 5d3+70-200/2.8L maybe next to a 6d+70-300L...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2012, 05:49:08 PM »

Canon-F1

« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2012, 05:52:47 PM »
Btw, for people that don't watch the interview: He states that the 6d sensor will have the same iq as the 5d3, with the 20mp version optimized for cost. So no reason for hope here....

the IQ of the 5D MK3 is sure not bad.

but that means canon will have to live with the DXO mark shame for a bit longer.   ;)

third class... behind sony and nikon.
but at least the most expensive.....  ::)

Midphase

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2012, 07:56:45 PM »
I feel the need to chime in here and propose why I find the 6D to be exactly what I want.

First of all, I am primarily a filmmaker, and a photographer second. I currently use a 550 for my photography and have been using anything from the Red One to the 7D and 5DmkII for my filmmaking. When the 5DmkIII was announced, I was extremely excited until the price was revealed. For my personal budget, spending $3500 on a FF camera with mild video upgrades isn't justifiable when I can rent. I do however value a FF for still photography and the amazing low light video capability. For that reason I have been close to pulling the trigger on a 5DmkII for the past few months, all along held back by wanting to see what Canon's next move might be. With the T4i, I was once again disappointed with what appeared to be a repackaged T2i with a swivel screen (essentially a T3i). The auto focus on video was not particularly interesting to me.

So now the 6D comes out and at $2100 is looks very compelling. First of all, it's a FF which is slightly higher in price than the 5DmkII. Secondly, unlike the mmII, it gives me 60fps which can be useful (I wish that it was at 1080 and not 720 though). Thirdly, it promises to have improved moire and rolling shutter, definite bonus for video. It lacks a headphone jack, but I usually record audio separately anyway so that's not a deal killer for me.

So essentially what it comes down to is that for a couple of hundred more, I get a FF camera which has current CPU technology, improves on the mkII video quality and options, and brings my photography IQ up a notch too. I do own several decent EF lenses which I will be able to use with the 6D and I am familiar with Canon which doesn't require any additional learning.

I feel that for people like me, this is a win-win product. I know about the other options out there, like the new Panasonic GH3, or the Sony a99. I honestly don't like the feel of the video coming from both of those cameras, for lack of a better term it lacks the cinematic quality that Canon (and Nikon) cameras have.  I suppose I would consider a Nikon d600, but I am not sure what that would get me for essentially the same exact price of the 6D.

I am also hopeful that a new version of Magic Lantern will unlock more functionality from this camera. Considering how much they were able to do with the 5DmkII, I hope that they will be able to eventually bring 1080p at 60fps and clean HDMI out.

Ryan_W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2012, 09:07:01 PM »
It's a lot simpler than most people here are suggesting.

Canon tweeted today: "Canon Announces Its Smallest and Lightest Full-Frame Digital SLR Camera For Serious Photographers http://ow.ly/dMKHt"

In every press release and communications material regarding the 6D, Canon has used the phrase "serious photographers."

That's their target demographic. "Serious photographers." They're targeting people who feel that way. People who think that buying this camera will make them more serious. They probably already have a camera, Maybe a rebel or maybe an XXD. I think anyone who is willing to shell out $1,300+ for a 7D or 5D is already "serious." Canon is looking to upgrade the users below the $1,000 mark.

It's a clever little camera though. It finds a sweet spot between enough features to be user-friendly and not too many to be competitive with other products or intimidating. It think it is a mistake to assume that this is a camera that will only appeal to amateur users, newcomers, or people who can't afford a "better" camera.

Leica didn't even include an AF system until 2008. That didn't stop some of the world's most renown photojournalists and photographers from using that system.

The 6D is the lightest full frame body on the market (the Leica's are small but very heavy). There's something to be said for that. It's an interesting combination of elements and I think that a lot of creative professionals will find new uses for it, especially because it will open FF photography for a new range of artists who couldn't previously afford it.

sushyam

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2012, 02:24:28 AM »
A number of things come to mind:

1. Compacts such as mirrorless etc are getting pretty darn good and are squeezing the market for low-end DSLRs - time for Canon and Nikon to push upwards, dragging their customers with them, to more advanced and more expensive cameras.

2. Getting people into FF opens up the secondary market for higfh quality lenses.

3. Interest in photography has grown absolutely enormously since digital became the norm. This gives a far greater potential market.

4. China and other countries where buying power is increasing exponentially are extremely important. A wider range of models means more potential buyers climb on board.

Canon and Nikon don't care who buys their products. All money smells the same.
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120920/jsp/business/story_15996930.jsp
This article gives an idea as to what canon india has on mind. Low priced FF dslr should have a big market here if the caon estimate of dslr sales in the coming FY is true

Fishnose

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2012, 03:12:32 PM »
i have lenses that cost 3000-5000 euro but i would never spend that much on a body.

So you wouldn't buy a 5D3?

netsuso

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2012, 04:26:37 PM »
Although many of you have complained about this new Canon DSLR model, I will explain my point of view, as I could be a great example of the 6D target:
(...)

Nothing personal, but I will use you to exemplify the demographic target for this camera.

You don't like the 6D, you don't think it's a good camera. It's just the only FF in Canon's lineup that you can afford, and this is why you will buy it.

All the rest is just you convincing yourself that it will be a good purchase in absolute terms. You only made a list of "I can live with...", while when I spend 2000€ I like to say "I can't wait to...".

Canon didn't bother to produce a good camera, they just produced a camera that could hit a certain market segment. They're relying on brand loyalty alone as the prime marketing factor, and probably they will succeed.

And this is all very, very sad.

So... I explain why I'm considering buying a Canon 6D, and why the supposed drawbacks aren't important to me, and you just say that "I don't like the 6D". Please tell me which things I like and dislike, as you seem to know them better than me :)

I'm sorry, but my perfect camera (the one with the exact specifications I want and the price I want to pay for it) simply doesn't exist, and it never will. But this Canon 6d is currently the best compromise between the specs I want and the price I'm wiling to pay, so yes, I'm considering buying it just because of that.

It has nothing to do with brand loyalty (once again, you seem to know more about me than I do), because I've considered other options and they didn't convince me as much as 6D convinced me. Perhaps I don't line up with the current wave about "Canon 6D isn't worth a penny", but I think that's just because many of you are exaggerating a lot only because the camera doesn't offer exactly what you wanted. Sorry about that :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2012, 04:26:37 PM »

daniemare

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2012, 06:45:14 PM »
Two things have been said repeatedly on this forum:

1 - Its all about the glass (said over and over over the years)
2 - And recently, On paper the D800 and D600 are better than the Canon equivalent, so they will advise new purchasers to buy the Nikon - cheaper/better.  Especially for the D600 were APS-C users will be "switching" systems in any case.

Well for me, I will advise anyone who asks to to go with the Canon - as it is the best system to get Point No 1 cheaply.  Here we have the D600 and 6D competing, and for $200 more you can get a constant aperture L lens with a better range than the kit D600.  Also, I have found that the use market for Canon glass is so much better choice wise.  From Canon Primes, L Lenses to 3rd Party zooms, take your pick. Want a macro, search for 2 weeks you will find one. Want a specific zoom, same thing.

So if the demographic is entry level FF for Serious photographers (for whom glass matters), I think the 6D and Canon system is spot on.
Canon 6D, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100 F2.8L IS macro, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 28 F1.8

crasher8

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2012, 06:57:02 PM »
I was holding out on buying a 5D3 because of the new FF coming and after spending ONE day with the 5D3 I am soooooooooo frakking glad I didn't pick up the Traveller's camera. This thing is worth it. I am amazed at the low light quality shots I got at dusk last night. ISO 8000 looked ten times better than my former 7D's 1600.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2012, 06:57:02 PM »