April 25, 2014, 01:30:35 AM

Author Topic: 7D!  (Read 10490 times)

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
Re: 7D!
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2012, 08:13:29 PM »
Here is the same still life test shot from the Imaging Sensor taken with the new 5D3 @ ISO 400 f8 70mm, again just extracting a 720 x 480 pixel crop, it is insanely good -> look at the improved detail & better coloring on the face of the fiddler on the bottle

Which is a cycle ahead of the old 7D, which is a lot in digital years...
What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2012, 08:13:29 PM »

DB

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2012, 08:27:57 PM »
Here is the same still life test shot from the Imaging Sensor taken with the new 5D3 @ ISO 400 f8 70mm, again just extracting a 720 x 480 pixel crop, it is insanely good -> look at the improved detail & better coloring on the face of the fiddler on the bottle

Which is a cycle ahead of the old 7D, which is a lot in digital years...

Sure is. I've checked the 5D3 @ 12,800 ISO and it is way better than the 7D @ 3,200 ISO (especially in color saturation retention, similar in banding & noise) so at least +2 stop improvement (possibly 3 stops) vis-a-viz the King of the APS-C (not counting 1D's cos' they're Pro range). I think a half-stop per annum improvement is definite progress.

bkorcel

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2012, 09:00:32 PM »
I agree it's a gimmick.  I've never been fond of touch screens.  Human hands are always very dirty/oily.  Just look at anyone's iPod or iPad.  When the screen is filthy it makes it very difficult to chimp your shot..and especially so with today;s antireflective screen coatings.  One smudge and your wanting a cloth and some cleaning fluid.

Where the touch screens are useful is when you can write on the image or manipulate the image in some way using finger gestures...though I am very acclimated to zooming using the other camera controls...and Apple has that patent anyway.

No touch screens on our pro and semi-pro DSLRs please.  Save it for the kids to play with.

* Touchscreen - Couldn't be more of a gimmick

My Panasonic G3 has a touch screen and I have found it to be quite a fast way to access camera features.  Much better than the quick menu on my T1i.  So I would like to see a touch screen on the 7D2.

pierceography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2012, 09:18:09 PM »
I agree it's a gimmick.  I've never been fond of touch screens.  Human hands are always very dirty/oily.  Just look at anyone's iPod or iPad.  When the screen is filthy it makes it very difficult to chimp your shot..and especially so with today;s antireflective screen coatings.  One smudge and your wanting a cloth and some cleaning fluid.

Where the touch screens are useful is when you can write on the image or manipulate the image in some way using finger gestures...though I am very acclimated to zooming using the other camera controls...and Apple has that patent anyway.

No touch screens on our pro and semi-pro DSLRs please.  Save it for the kids to play with.

My Panasonic G3 has a touch screen and I have found it to be quite a fast way to access camera features.  Much better than the quick menu on my T1i.  So I would like to see a touch screen on the 7D2.

I still think it's a gimmick.  I don't know about those who use or want to use a touch screen on an SLR, but when I'm shooting, I'm holding on to that camera with BOTH hands!  Maybe I'm just overly protective of my gear, but you'll rarely find me holding the camera with just one hand with no neck strap.  So at that point, I'm pretty much limited to index fingers and thumbs -- which work just fine operating the existing buttons.  Throw your commonly used menu items in the custom menu and call it a day.  Though I wouldn't mind seeing the ability to add more than six items to the custom menu.  But there's a big difference between a magnesium alloy SLR and a five ounce iPhone.

Besides, I'd rather Canon use their resources on developing better imaging technology than waste those resources on a trend that arguably has little to no impact on picture quality.
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2012, 10:17:04 AM »

I still think it's a gimmick.  I don't know about those who use or want to use a touch screen on an SLR, but when I'm shooting, I'm holding on to that camera with BOTH hands!  Maybe I'm just overly protective of my gear, but you'll rarely find me holding the camera with just one hand with no neck strap.  So at that point, I'm pretty much limited to index fingers and thumbs -- which work just fine operating the existing buttons.  Throw your commonly used menu items in the custom menu and call it a day.  Though I wouldn't mind seeing the ability to add more than six items to the custom menu.  But there's a big difference between a magnesium alloy SLR and a five ounce iPhone.

Besides, I'd rather Canon use their resources on developing better imaging technology than waste those resources on a trend that arguably has little to no impact on picture quality.

Indeed. There are many better things than that. Tis a mere gimmick for rebel cameras. And, honestly, I don't want an articulating screen wither. I want the thing to be built like a tank.

And it must needs be APS-C! And they better not steal any MP...
What is truth?

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2012, 09:23:04 PM »

....So basically to get a true comparison I need to photograph one subject with both cameras but with the 40D zoom to 180% to get the same magnification to accurately compare?...

Mate, are you a camera reviewer? What's the point? Go read a real reviewer's test of the 7D  e.g. dpreview.com: they thought the IQ was fine.

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2012, 11:09:08 PM »
I shoot raw with the 7D. Never any problem with noise. Just don't underexposed your shots!
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2012, 11:09:08 PM »

jondave

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2012, 01:21:40 AM »
More than anything it's a tone curve I always apply on my raw files.

Saturation is purely subjective, depends on what the photo and how I want it to look.

tome223

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2012, 09:37:56 AM »
After the disappointing 6d announcement I;ll also be holding out for the 7d mark ii.   I think it will be aps-c but if they make it aps-h Thats all the more reason to buy it.  I think the 70d may be announced first, maybe in January. 
5d3 --- 60d --- 50mm-f1.8 --- 18-135mm --- 60mm macro --- 70-300is --- 100-400l --- 24-105l --- 17-40l --- 430ex ii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2012, 09:37:56 AM »