October 02, 2014, 09:05:47 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III & More  (Read 37814 times)

NotABunny

Re: 5D Mark III & More
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2011, 04:15:24 AM »
Every time i look at mac rumours, it seems as though theres a lot going on with product updates and new developments. If computers can update yearly why can't cameras?

A camera is not a computer. It's primarily an optical device. Increasing processor speed, implementing software multithreading, making a smaller body, adding GPS or 3G capabilities doesn't produce better images.

The people who invest thousands of dollars in cameras and lenses do it in order to take better images.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:19:52 AM by NotABunny »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2011, 04:15:24 AM »

John Smith

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2011, 06:11:43 AM »
Every time i look at mac rumours, it seems as though theres a lot going on with product updates and new developments. If computers can update yearly why can't cameras?

A camera is not a computer. It's primarily an optical device. Increasing processor speed, implementing software multithreading, making a smaller body, adding GPS or 3G capabilities doesn't produce better images.

The people who invest thousands of dollars in cameras and lenses do it in order to take better images.

The process doesn't end with taking better images. E.g. images are organized and shared, and here a GPS would help.

I Simonius

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2011, 11:08:59 AM »
the ONLY update I want is waterproofing. Any other extras would be fine but AFAIC the only thing wrong with my 5D2 is it can't cope with rain etc

And no I don't wanta 1Ds series - they're too heavy!

gene_can_sing

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2011, 11:19:23 AM »
its a large international company it should be releasing more products more frequently than it does. 3 years since the last 5d mark iii. If computers can update yearly why can't cameras?

There are new printers announced frequently.  New copiers.  New scanners.  There's a new Rebel/xxxD camera every year.  Every year there are a whole bunch of new PowerShot cameras, often announced twice per year.  Higher-end dSLR models have a longer development time.

Canon can release new products every year and does, except they are just micro-increments of existing cameras (t3i, 60d, 7d, etc). Even the 5D2 is just a branch off of the 1d (last update in 2007).

Apple has to release an update every year because there is so much competition in computers. In cameras, there are only a handful of companies, so competition is fairly light. With that said, Sony and Panasonic (at least video wise) are hungry, and they will eat up Canon in the future if Canon continues to it's current 4 YEAR (yes 4 YEARS!!!) product cycle.

My suggestions is DON'T buy a Canon camera unless you need it, until something new comes out. Only way to get them to release anything.

willhuff.net

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2011, 12:12:16 PM »
With the speed that technology in general has exponentially increased, I wouldn't be surprised if Canon and Nikon had the ability to make cameras twice as good as they are now, but they have an agreement to hold back because it's more profitable to make a series of upgrades rather than one big one.

DuLt

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2011, 12:32:22 PM »
With the speed that technology in general has exponentially increased, I wouldn't be surprised if Canon and Nikon had the ability to make cameras twice as good as they are now, but they have an agreement to hold back because it's more profitable to make a series of upgrades rather than one big one.

It's a smart money grubbing move to hold on to your ace's until you know what your oponents have.

Unfortunately, it holds technology and creative evolution also.

NXT1000

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2011, 12:23:52 PM »
I know there was the Tsunami in Japan, but Japans not the only place they make canon products, its a large international company it should be releasing more products more frequently than it does. 3 years since the last 5d mark iii. If computers can update yearly why can't cameras?

unlike some other companies, canon believe that the jobs be kept in japan, and high end camera and lens all built in japan, therefore they will hardest hit by earthquake.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2011, 12:23:52 PM »

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2011, 12:42:48 PM »

Actually it is a computer, just not a very good one...leading folks to shoot RAW (fortunately this is an option) and using a good computer and good software to process the data into the nicest image possible. Digic5 should be better though, primarily thru increased processor speed so it can run higher quality code for NR and jpeg operations and still get a good framerate.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

zerotiu

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2011, 12:48:07 PM »
I think I still believe that Canon can release 5d3 sooner. The delay news is just a marketing trick to deplete the previous version of camera. Because we are talking about the Japan industries, they are strong, smart, and rellable. That's what I believe from them  ;)

HughHowey

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2011, 01:00:40 PM »
the ONLY update I want is waterproofing. Any other extras would be fine but AFAIC the only thing wrong with my 5D2 is it can't cope with rain etc

And no I don't wanta 1Ds series - they're too heavy!

The gaskets are made of lead, apparently.
T2i ~ 28mm 1.8 ~ 50mm 1.4 ~ 15-85mm ~ 55-250mm ~ 100mm 2.8L Macro ~ 135mm 2L ~ 200mm 2.8L

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2011, 01:09:21 PM »
I think I still believe that Canon can release 5d3 sooner. The delay news is just a marketing trick to deplete the previous version of camera. Because we are talking about the Japan industries, they are strong, smart, and rellable. That's what I believe from them  ;)

Rolling blackouts and a nuclear disaster 100 miles from Canon's L-lens plant are marketing tricks?  Don't tell that to the aliens living at Area 51, or they might think it's a conspiracy theory...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

zerotiu

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2011, 01:25:20 PM »

Rolling blackouts and a nuclear disaster 100 miles from Canon's L-lens plant are marketing tricks?  Don't tell that to the aliens living at Area 51, or they might think it's a conspiracy theory...

I just try to be an optimist  :P , better to support them rather than tell the sad fact part

gene_can_sing

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2011, 01:58:47 PM »

Didn't Nikon just release a new camera ? I know Sony has announced and will be releasing several video and a stills camera in the next few months. IPad production was disrupted for a minute, but has recovered. Seems like for everyone else, they're just going back to business, EXCEPT Canon, who is just continuing to milk customers on yesterdays technology. Even worse, using the earthquake as an excuse for not releasing any specs or release dates? That's shameful. All the other manufactures let their customers know what's going on.

I think people would cut Canon more slack if they had not been so bad about releasing products and basic fixes over the past few years, and just being so secretive and keeping customers who have invested a lot of money in their products, completely in the dark.

For me, all I want is a moire free video image, a fairly simple problem that has been around for years now. So frustrating.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:13:23 PM by gene_can_sing »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2011, 01:58:47 PM »

NotABunny

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2011, 04:33:34 PM »

Actually it is a computer, just not a very good one...leading folks to shoot RAW (fortunately this is an option) and using a good computer and good software to process the data into the nicest image possible. Digic5 should be better though, primarily thru increased processor speed so it can run higher quality code for NR and jpeg operations and still get a good framerate.

Being one who shoots RAW, I have to say that my reasons for doing so have nothing to do with the in-camera processing performance, but with the freedom given by post-processing (at any time after taking the photos).

I am only impressed by the improvements to the optical system (say 1 extra bit of tonal range in dark tones). Things like electronics, more computing power, GPS and stuff are not big technological jumps for me, they are bonus.

WarStreet

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2011, 05:38:58 PM »
Didn't Nikon just release a new camera ? I know Sony has announced and will be releasing several video and a stills camera in the next few months. IPad production was disrupted for a minute, but has recovered. Seems like for everyone else, they're just going back to business, EXCEPT Canon, who is just continuing to milk customers on yesterdays technology. Even worse, using the earthquake as an excuse for not releasing any specs or release dates? That's shameful. All the other manufactures let their customers know what's going on.

I think people would cut Canon more slack if they had not been so bad about releasing products and basic fixes over the past few years, and just being so secretive and keeping customers who have invested a lot of money in their products, completely in the dark.

For me, all I want is a moire free video image, a fairly simple problem that has been around for years now. So frustrating.

Nikon released the D5100. a rebel competitor which gets updated every 2 years, while Canon update theirs every year, and the 600D has been released slightly before the D5100. They also released the 1100D too.

The cycle of the 5D series is 3 years, therefore we should expect the 5DIII not before Q4 2011. As I said before, there are various reasons while the cycle time could increase not because delays but strategical reasons. Even Nikon and Sony, didn't released the 5DIII competitor yet. Canon is happy with the 5DII sales, and they can wait until the others do the move. Remember that the D700 lacks video and they can't wait much longer without an entry level FF camera with video.

Although I doubt the disaster in Japan would bring big delays for cameras not in production, it can certainly bring some delay, but even worse, it can delay the competitors and therefore Canon can afford a longer wait.

I believe, if there is no serious problem, all of these three top companies, will deliver their entry level FF approximately during the same period with only few months difference at most. Rumored dates are just rumors, and if Canon deliver the 5DIII between Q4 2011 - Q2 2012, there is nothing shocking about it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2011, 05:38:58 PM »