October 26, 2014, 05:55:17 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III & More  (Read 38135 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
5D Mark III & More
« on: May 02, 2011, 02:57:51 PM »
In the wild? There’s word that Canon is sending out test bodies of the next 5D to various key photographers. Obviously they’ll be under a veil of secrecy. Once this happens, we tend to start getting better information.

There’s a thought the next 5D will not push megapixels, but will in fact push image quality and noise reduction. There will be a lot more sharpness and detail at higher ISO. The 26-28 megapixel range is becoming the resolution I keep getting told.

There is apparently a couple of different prototypes in existence.

What’s for certain is it will have a 19 point AF, no word on how many crosstype sensors.

1Ds Mark IV /  1D Mark V The same person alluded to the merging of the 1D line being sooner than expected. There would need to be some new tech in a  merged 1D to keep the 10fps of the 1D and the resolution of the 1Ds. It should be interesting.

cr

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 03:38:03 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark III & More
« on: May 02, 2011, 02:57:51 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III & More
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 03:06:50 PM »
There’s word...

What sort of word?  CR1-word?  CR3-word?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

thien135

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 03:15:05 PM »
release the darn camera already !! >:(

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 03:21:28 PM »
release the darn camera already !! >:(

LOL, my money is allocated and ready sprout wings as soon as they do release it!
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

razbo

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 03:33:31 PM »
Funny that, I was actually speaking to a guy in Jacobs,
 and he told me canon tend to give photographers new cameras to test when a new event is happening, such as the rugby world cup which is happening in September 2011, would it be then when the canon release the 5dmk 3?

Velo Steve

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Photos on Flickr (mostly removed when the changed the site)
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 03:35:25 PM »
Exactly what I wanted to hear!  I'm rarely limited by pixel resolution, but situations with moving subjects in weak light keep coming up.  A couple of stops higher ISO without an increase in noise will have me ordering on the first day possible.

Of course if I could get that in combination with the "frames per second" rate of my 40D, that would be even better.

Steve

Added: the noise reduction needs to start at the sensor.  Just processing it out in the Digic won't cut it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 03:40:45 PM by Velo Steve »

docsmith

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 03:37:52 PM »
So, ahhh, what is the average lead time from having selected pros play with a couple different prototypes to actually releasing a camera?  If there are "a couple" of prototypes, then has Canon released specs to suppliers for parts, started work on the production line modifying the tools, etc? 

To give time to incorporate any changes by the selected pros, select a prototype, get all the parts and materials together to manufacture the camera....I am thinking at best, an announcement in late 2011 with the camera not in someones hands until 2012?

Someone tell me if I am off here...and while this is interesting, it actually makes me feel that the 5DIII is further out than I was previously thinking............

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 03:37:52 PM »

mogud

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 03:46:43 PM »
I agree - announcement in late 2011 with availability in early 2012.  My timeline for purchasing this camera is end of April 2012.  The 5DIII with the anticipated feature set is exactly what I'm hoping for.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 03:48:52 PM »
If sharpness is the goal, does that mean no more AA filter?

fernando

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 04:24:56 PM »
This means the 'mid-year' announcement is now out of the cards right? Approximately how long does it take from photographers getting prototypes to the release date?

Anyone know how long it took with the Mark II?   

Lawliet

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 04:27:25 PM »
So, ahhh, what is the average lead time from having selected pros play with a couple different prototypes to actually releasing a camera?  If there are "a couple" of prototypes, then has Canon released specs to suppliers for parts, started work on the production line modifying the tools, etc? 

To give time to incorporate any changes by the selected pros, select a prototype, get all the parts and materials together to manufacture the camera....

At that stage the hardware is more or less fixed. You don't add a button or change specs radically because someone tells you it would be nice or something.  If you need to replace a chip or PCB to iron out a kink you have about a month until you're back up to production volume(think of the flawed USB-port Intel had to deal with), but even thats not what a field test is for.
User feedback would be mainly for details of the behavior, things that are done via firmware.

If they start now and conclude  trials by july, they could ramp up production by the mid of summer and have everything ready for a september release with widespread availability.
Thats if they want to release at the time.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 04:28:34 PM »
So, ahhh, what is the average lead time from having selected pros play with a couple different prototypes to actually releasing ............

There were reportedly copies of a refreshed 24-70mm (IS?) 'in the wild' nearly two years ago.  So maybe the average lead time is infinity?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 04:46:01 PM »
So no other specs other than 26-28MP and 19 AF points? Well, the former doesn't sound bad, the latter...

To be honest the AF system from the 7D would probably be enough for most users (myself included).  It would be nice to have AF points that cover a similar area of viewfinder as on the 7D; see this comparison:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&message=29662257&q=viewfinder+af+point+coverage+comparison&qf=m).

I can see that Canon is paranoid that raising the bar with the 5D MkIII too high may poach sales of the 1D series, but the questions they should be asking themselves are where are Nikon going with the D800 and what will Sony next move with full frame be?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 04:46:01 PM »

gene_can_sing

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 06:48:09 PM »
5D3 will be released sooner than later, IMO. 2012 will be too long.

Remember, the last iteration of and Digic 4 came out in September of 2007. That's almost 4 years ago. Canon MISSED their 3 year cycle update of the 1D and the 3 year cycle of the 5D is coming up in September.

5D2 was released 3 years ago in September of 2008. Canon cannot miss 2 product cycles in a row.

Canon is not looking good right now and they need to hit back and release something soon and it better be good.

It has to be sooner than later because they have been lagging on so much stuff lately, and the moire / video problems are so pronounced right now, that they stand to lose a lot of video people to Sony and Panasonic who are making some solid video products already release or to be released in June and July.

And yes, a LOT of people use the 5D mainly for video. That's one of the main reasons why it was such a huge seller in the first place

akiskev

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 06:53:21 PM »
5D MKiii with DigicV is coming!!!
Hooray!
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 06:53:21 PM »