December 22, 2014, 07:53:57 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III & More  (Read 38981 times)

NXT1000

Re: 5D Mark III & More
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 07:19:52 PM »
please please please canon fix the focus system.
everytime i return home from a shoot with 5d2
i see many out of focus shots, some of them have no reason to be out of focus, except for the whim of canon5d2 focus system.
I will bang my head on the wall if they do not improve focus on 5d series.

but when it is in focus, it is so good.

i will not get it for first half a year of release or until they have the review of 1ds4, 5d3 production problem need to be solved first, if spec of 1ds4 is much superior, then i have to decide what to do. But i am waiting for info about 5d3 with bated breath.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 07:19:52 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 09:18:41 PM »
I hope Canon give us 100% magnification when reviewing pictures on camera for the first time. Would enable me to determine what has and has not worked for focus in the field rather than when I get home!

Justin

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 10:23:10 PM »
If sharpness is the goal, does that mean no more AA filter?

Weakened AA filter would work for me.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 11:12:16 PM »
"Key" photographers?

Wow, I'm going to start checking out locksmith shops. Maybe I'll see one.
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

asu

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 01:12:57 AM »
its all about waiting...
canon is waiting to see nikon d800 specs, in the other hand nikon is waiting for new full frame sensor from sony.
hahaha   ::)

torger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 01:29:15 AM »
If 5Dmk3 will hav 26-28 megapixels and the next 1D ~40, it will be a difficult choice for me. 1D will surely be rather expensive in relation to my amateur budget, but probably within reach if I stretch it.

J-Man

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 01:53:46 AM »
This is what I hope the next round of bodies improve on, larger dynamic range, less noise at all ISO's, larger view finders, Lcd's with pixel densities of the iphone4, autofocus that works faster and more accurately(both types), pro quality  on all XD bodies with full weather sealing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 01:53:46 AM »

Wahoowa

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 04:08:48 AM »
It's good to hear that Canon will not increase resolution by much and now concentrate on image quality and noise reduction. However, I don't think 19-point AF will make an exciting impact like 5D2 did, especially compared to the AF system by Nikon.

I just hope that Canon will get everything right to satisfy their followers.

airdima

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 04:49:51 AM »
the least i would expect in 5D III is improved focus system coupled with 7D weather sealing
i dont think that pushing the sensor resolution further is a good idea. better concentrate on noise reduction that would get canon in line with nikon flagships (at the very least)
also, wireless flash control would be VERY nice to have

either way, i dont see myself upgrading from my 5DII right away, as for now it works fine for roughly 95% of my needs

Kim

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 06:07:04 AM »
Someone should hit up Vincent LaForet to hear if it is good :D

torger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 06:18:14 AM »
All this talk about noise reduction, what is this? Is it only about reducing noise in camera JPEGs? To me that is next to meaningless, I shoot RAW only and rely on noise reduction in RAW development software. However, read noise reduction at low ISO would be welcome to me. But is there much you can do at high ISO any longer? Read noise at high ISO seems low to me already on the newest sensors. Isn't nearly all noise in typical high ISO pictures just unavoidable photon shot noise?

And as far as I've understood there's no law of physics that says that larger pixels will lead to less noise, so you could combine high megapixel count with low noise, historically it has indeed been tough, but it seems to me that with newer sensors the problem has become smaller and smaller. A higher resolution picture will of course look more noisy at 100% crop due to more photon shot noise per pixel, but when averaged/binned it's the same as for larger pixels. If you're only going to shoot high ISO I guess it makes little sense to have high megapixel count since you'd want to average/bin them anyway for noise reduction. However, I guess for many of us that do 90% of the photos at minimum ISO, a large pixel count is welcome, resolution is indeed a key aspect of image quality.

One aspect that I'm a bit unsure of is the quantum efficiency, perhaps there's stuff to do in that part? QE = how many of the incoming photons that actually become registered by the sensor. If that can be significantly increased, there will be a true improvement for low light shooting. I've heard that it's around 40% of today's sensors, not sure if it's correct though. If it is, there's ~1 stop improvement to do there.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:34:15 AM by torger »

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 07:37:12 AM »
canon 60d seen in the wild: August 11, 2010
canon 60d released: August 25, 2010
http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/08/canon-eos-60d-picture/
http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/08/canon-announces-eos-60d/

J-Man

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 07:47:27 AM »
In body jpg are useless to me, way too easy to blow highlights, the noise reduction I'm referring to is everything from the sensor, through the signal amps, the AD conversion, and then signal processing(de-Bayer).
Any improvement in noise reduction is welcome, any banding is unforgivable.

The size of the pixels are becoming less of an issue with each generation, I'm more concerned with the balance that Canon has been choosing the last few generations of sensors between pixel density and per pixel noise, the 1DsII & 5D were the last of the conservative designs IMO.

canon 60d seen in the wild: August 11, 2010
canon 60d released: August 25, 2010

That could be an early production sample test, vs a release candidate test, very different in terms of how long to maket.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 07:47:27 AM »

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 10:03:33 AM »
In body jpg are useless to me...the noise reduction I'm referring to is everything from the sensor, through the signal amps, the AD conversion, and then signal processing(de-Bayer).

+1
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 10:45:37 AM »

I can see that Canon is paranoid that raising the bar with the 5D MkIII too high may poach sales of the 1D series, but the questions they should be asking themselves are where are Nikon going with the D800 and what will Sony next move with full frame be?

Why should Canon be paranoid ? Make no sense ! Nikon provides the same focus and metering on all their pro cameras (D300S, D700, D3S and D3X) and seem to have no "poaching" problem. Crippled is a word seldom seen on Nikon forums.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 10:45:37 AM »