July 24, 2014, 02:11:56 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III & More  (Read 36927 times)

gibbygoo

Re: 5D Mark III & More
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2011, 07:29:35 PM »
"the moire / video problems are so pronounced right now, that they stand to lose a lot of video people to Sony and Panasonic who are making some solid video products already release or to be released in June and July."

Right. The moire problem is THE problem, followed by the 12-minute recording cap. (Rolling shutter is a non issue if you're using the camera as a creative pick-up tool).

Are you saying DSLRs are coming out that won't have RS and line sampling-induced moire? Don't hold your breath. (Same goes for balanced audio. Ain't gonna happen.) Of course, if your definition of a DSLR includes Red's Scarlet Vaporware, well, that's a different matter...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2011, 07:29:35 PM »

John Smith

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2011, 07:39:45 AM »
"the moire / video problems are so pronounced right now, that they stand to lose a lot of video people to Sony and Panasonic who are making some solid video products already release or to be released in June and July."

Right. The moire problem is THE problem, followed by the 12-minute recording cap. (Rolling shutter is a non issue if you're using the camera as a creative pick-up tool).

As far as I understand, the 12 minute recording cap is due to FAT32 limitations. My impression from a google search is that Canon has licensed exFAT from microsoft, which would resolve the problem.

It appears the 60D has exFAT support, if the card is formatted on a computer. Could someone with a 60D try this and find out whether the 12 minute cap is gone in that scenario ?

NotABunny

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2011, 01:49:40 PM »
As far as I understand, the 12 minute recording cap is due to FAT32 limitations. My impression from a google search is that Canon has licensed exFAT from microsoft, which would resolve the problem.

It appears the 60D has exFAT support, if the card is formatted on a computer. Could someone with a 60D try this and find out whether the 12 minute cap is gone in that scenario ?

The movie limit is due to several factors, one of which being that Canon doesn't want to register photocameras as videocameras, or so it was one or two years ago.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2011, 01:18:08 PM »
With the speed that technology in general has exponentially increased, I wouldn't be surprised if Canon and Nikon had the ability to make cameras twice as good as they are now, but they have an agreement to hold back because it's more profitable to make a series of upgrades rather than one big one.
This is the stupidest thing I've read on this forum.

That's a little blunt, but I have to admit my first thought was that this sounded an awful lot like the kids in junior high who used to say that Ford/Chevy/Chrysler had a secret carburetor that offered 100 miles to the gallon.

In a competitive market, companies don't "hold back" technology that gives them a competitive edge.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

gene_can_sing

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2011, 01:51:26 PM »
With the speed that technology in general has exponentially increased, I wouldn't be surprised if Canon and Nikon had the ability to make cameras twice as good as they are now, but they have an agreement to hold back because it's more profitable to make a series of upgrades rather than one big one.

That's a little blunt, but I have to admit my first thought was that this sounded an awful lot like the kids in junior high who used to say that Ford/Chevy/Chrysler had a secret carburetor that offered 100 miles to the gallon.

In a competitive market, companies don't "hold back" technology that gives them a competitive edge.

Sorry, but you are very NAIVE if you think that companies don't hold back on technology and only try to further competition. LMAO. Canon is NOTORIOUS for milking customers on dated tech, like what they are doing now.

For example. the terrible Moire problem with their video has been an issue since the 5d2 was released almost 3 years ago. Panasonic and Sony's video has addressed this issue with their DSLR and video camera releases.

Canon instead just holds the technology hostage in hopes that they can juice customers some more. Everyone knows the moire is an easy fix as demonstrated by Panansonic, RED and Sony, yet Canon chooses to not release a fix for it. That is why video people who are stuck with thousands of dollars in Canon lenses can't really switch companies, and really want the 5d3 to come out.

So yeah, I'm 100% certain they could at least release a DSLR or video camera that fixes the moire issue, but they just want you to shell out more cash for the 4 year old Digic 4. Trust me, Canon is definitely holding new tech. hostage at this point, and video customers like myself who invested serious cash (10k+) into Canon gear and lenses, are just getting angrier by the moment. And that is why you see so many 5D3 posts, it's because everyone knows Canon's game plan and it's getting old and frustrating.

Canon can fool people up until a certain point, and that point has been past for a while.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:32:55 PM by gene_can_sing »

willhuff.net

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2011, 02:44:20 PM »
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10082410canon120mpsensor.asp

They announced this in August 2010. What is more profitable, going from 24mp to 120mp and selling 3 million units, or going from 24mp to 30mp and selling 3 million units, then going from 30mp to 38mp and selling another 3 million units, then going from 38mp to 48mp and selling another 3 million units...

Yes, this sensor was probably prohibitively expensive to produce and current computers would cry trying to handle images that size, but its in Canon's interest to make incremental improvements to get the most sales. Think of it as a race. You get the win for beating your opponents whether it's by a meter or a mile.

This is the same reason that if your competitor is making a widget that lasts for 1 year, you don't need to make a widget that lasts a lifetime, it only needs to last 1.25 years to be a better product. What good is a customer that only buys from you once?

gene_can_sing

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2011, 04:01:42 PM »
I think what is really frustrating is that the video issues are very basic and fundamental to a good picture and NOT something that is remotely futuristic since the video moire issue is a non-issue in competitor cameras that are priced even below Canon (Panasonic GH2 at $900).

I wish it were a futuristic problem, then at least I can accept the shortcomings, but when Canon is blatantly holding something essential for a good video image from customers for years now just to milk them dry, that is just a really bad way to treat customers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2011, 04:01:42 PM »

NotABunny

« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2011, 04:28:49 PM »
Canon is NOTORIOUS for milking customers on dated tech, like what they are doing now.

What makes something notorious? A few people saying the word on the Internet?

For example. the terrible Moire problem with their video has been an issue since the 5d2 was released almost 3 years ago. Panasonic and Sony's video has addressed this issue with their DSLR and video camera releases.

Have you considered that if they were to "fix" this moire, their sensor would be overheating which would reduce its lifetime and possible affect the image quality? The firmware has changed over these years, the sensor did not.

The entire world moves on small steps. Jumps are rare.

gene_can_sing

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2011, 05:03:08 PM »
Canon used to be known as a "Revolutionary" company before they became the dominant company. These days, they are known as the MOST conservative of all the camera companies, which results in really long waits between significant product updates, a lack of desire to fix major camera flaws and not listening to customer's concerns.

As for fixing the moire, it is something that is not even an issue in DSLRs that are cheaper than Canon, and these cameras (Panny GH2) have ZERO over-heating issues. So it's a fix that is here and now and obviously very do-able.

Since you are probably a still photographer, just imagine when you take a still, if you could NOT take a deep focus picture of anything with a pattern (striped shirts, phone lines, roofs, fences) without a rainbow pattern going through it and also have edges that appeared very pixelated (aliasing issues). You would be very irate and want a fix also.

And yes, I would jump ship, but it's hard to do when you've invested 10K into Canon gear to just switch. Several years back, I bought the 7D kit thinking this was an apparent problem that would be just be fixed in the next iteration of the camera. Boy was I wrong.

Any yes, I would gladly pay 5 to 6K for a Canon HD large sensor video camera that addresses the problems, but dang.... they don't make one of those either.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:37:53 PM by gene_can_sing »

NotABunny

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2011, 03:06:55 AM »
Several years back, I bought the 7D kit thinking this was an apparent problem that would be just be fixed in the next iteration of the camera. Boy was I wrong.

Which shows even more that they have a hardware issue, not a software one. I mean, they're likely to change the sensor technology only starting with a top camera. Neither the 7D and 1D4 did that.

And by the way, the sensor of the GH2 is 3.5 times smaller than that of 5D2 (which means less heat by default).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 03:11:42 AM by NotABunny »

sharagim1

« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2011, 03:38:23 AM »
As much as I hate to admit it, I think the 2 May Northlight Images rumor is correct. The "1Ds3 replacement" (perhaps better called the "new professional FF body") won't appear until August and the 5D3 won't appear until next year. Tsunami damage to the supply chain was just too great and everything has been shoved back 6 months. Anything before that is just a pleasant surprise

can i ask are you just thinking about canon dslr replacment date?

I Simonius

« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2011, 10:29:28 AM »
the ONLY update I want is waterproofing. Any other extras would be fine but AFAIC the only thing wrong with my 5D2 is it can't cope with rain etc

And no I don't wanta 1Ds series - they're too heavy!

The gaskets are made of lead, apparently.
not sure whether that's sarcasm or humour.
I struggle to carry as much weight as I already have in camera/lenses, so - seriously, a 1Ds would be too heavy.
There is nothing whatsoever wrong with the 5D2 AFAIC except that it lets water in. I have had one completely die due to this. So waterproofing is the one thing I'd wish for it. Don't care if they call it a 3D as long as it's no heavier than the 5D

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2011, 11:12:40 AM »
I bought a Canon Digital Rebel in 2002 when they first appeared, it seemed large and heavy.  After buying more lenses, I steped up to a 30D.  It seemed heavy as well.  Then, I stumbled on a used 5d, which and found that it was just too heavy, particularly combined with a 24-70 lens.  So i sold it and bought a 40D.  I owned 5 40d's over the next three years, and got progressively larger and heavier lenses.  By that time, I was ready for a 1D MK II, and it only seemed a little heavy carrying it around with my 70-200mm f/2.8L.

The increase in weight over the years seems to come naturally, but was a big shock when I bought a heavy lens and camera after using lighter ones.   Now, I do not even notice the weight of my 5D MK II or my 1D MK III except when I bought a 600mm f/4L and tried carrying it around.  I'm not ready for that amount of weight yet!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2011, 11:12:40 AM »