August 23, 2014, 01:25:33 PM

Author Topic: Is it time for the "CEO" of Canon's DSLR division to resign?  (Read 15014 times)

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Is it time for the "CEO" of Canon's DSLR division to resign?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 10:26:22 AM »
I like black mice. Can you point me to a product description of that Nikon mouse?

And here I thought that Canon had this calculator mouse market cornered with their top of the line X Mark I. ???

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 10:27:20 AM »
Resign?  Not at all.  I personally don't understand where the 6D fits into the market (for the price anyway) but it's one body in the line it may turn out to be a big success, time will tell.  The 1DX and 5D3 make sense and the new wireless flashes are great.  Excellent new lenses being released that are getting rave reviews.  They're doing pretty good.

BXL

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
I don't see the problem!
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 10:41:10 AM »
Sorry, but the opening post is imo bullshit!

Canon offers a very good range of cameras at reasonable prices:

7D - sport, wildlife & action photography
6D - landscape, architecture, travel, portrait & available light photography
5D Mark III - a good all-rounder for reportage, wedding, press & portrait photography
1DX - reportage, sport & press photography

I never expected that the 6D will and can replace a 7D or cover its specific field of photography. If someone wants a FF DLSR which offers high fps, a very fast AF than the 1DX is the right DSLR. But then you have to accept the higher price. The 7D is basically a cheap alternative to the 1DX with the advantage of the 1.6x Crop factor. The 6D covers a complete different area of photography and thus is not a FF replacement of the 7D. It basically replaces the older 5Ds.

The 5D Mark III how ever is the workhorse many photographers thought that the 5D Mark II should have been. How ever, the fast AF, more fps comes at a price. The 5D Mark III is basically Canons "Jack of all trades". Besides a 5D Mark III costs as much as a 7D and a 6D. Thus it's possible to say, that the 5D Mark III is the 7D with a FF sensor and to be honest, the 5D Mark III is worth every single penny.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:43:00 AM by BXL »
450D | EF 50 f/1.8 | EF 100 f/2 | 17-50mm f/2.8 VC

Martin

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 10:41:25 AM »

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 10:41:44 AM »
Naw... not until he officially relocates the business to lake failure, as mentioned in a prior thread...  Plus, I vaguely remember a few months ago mentions that they recently changed the CEO to the guy who was in charge during canon's hayday in the early 2000's... The 6d was likely well in the production phases when he stepped in...  Is it an exciting camera... not really, but it does give me options at a backup camera... 7d, 7d2 or 6d... 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

JohanCruyff

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 10:59:21 AM »
I don't think Canon's CEO will resign, even if he reads this thread.
Being a Japanese, he'll probably make hara-kiri instead.  :o  :o  :o
Italian amateur. Gear: i) 5d Classic, 17-40 F/4 L, 24-105mm F/4 IS L, 100mm F/2.8 IS L, 70-200 F/4 IS L. & EOS M, 22 F/2, 18-55 + Mount Adapter, 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS STM
ii) Wife: Canon G12
iii) First Daughter: Canon 1100D, 18-55 IS iv) Son: Canon A1000IS v) Second Daughter: Nikon L21

old_york

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 11:07:28 AM »
Funniest thread ever!     No wait.....he's serious?!?!?

Well to quote Mo Szyslak:
"there's no justice like angry mob justice"
2 x 5D3;   7D;   24-70,2.8L II;   70-200,2.8L IS II;   100,2.8L IS macro;   20-35,2.8L;   50,1.4;   50,1.8;   40,2.8 STM;   15-85 ef-s;   Sigma 20,1.8;   2 x Speedlite 430EX II;

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 11:08:23 AM »
The revealing of the 6D has got to be one of the biggest anticlimaxes in Canon's recent DSLR history. Never has a camera wasted so much potential to score well. If Canon were alone and the only manufacturer producing a cheaper DSLR then it would probably be doing better amongst the Internet forums but unfortunately for Canon, there is the Nikon D600, alongside which the 6D appears as a "huh?"

The 5D Mark III also suffered a lot, primarily because of the rise in price without a commensurate rise in IQ. Again, if you took away the Nikon D800, it doesn't appear too bad but again, there is nothing exciting about it.

Now that all of Canon's cards are on the table for this year, you're left wondering what were they thinking? That Nikon and Sony would just stand by and not enter the market? Or did Canon simply underestimate what they've been able to do in CMOS sensor development?

The 1DX is out there by itself. It is a remarkable piece of equipment, tailor made for its target audience. And perhaps that's where Canon's problem is: it doesn't really know who the audience is for the 5D3 and 6D. Why wouldn't it know that? Because so many people bought the 5D Mark II, it became impossible for Canon to understand all the details of who was using it, how and why.

Thus the success of the 5D Mark II may have actually killed Canon in multiple ways. First they've become complacent because they've thought they could just tweak it a little here and a little there, increase the price and everyone would fall over themselves in love. That hasn't happened, in part because of the price and in part because it was just tweaking. In the second, as above, the camera has had such wide appeal that it became impossible for them to fully grasp why it succeeded and thus they didn't know how to repeat that success. This is likely just an accident of history as much as anything else. Thirdly, in not knowing who to listen to or why the 5D Mark II was such a success, they've ended up listening to the wrong folks about what camera Canon would need to succeed.

Thus given what the 5D3 and 6D have revealed to be, I think that the only option for Canon is remove the people who made the final decisions about which features should be in/out and the price for the camera. I think it is more than evident that they targets for both cameras simply wasn't high enough and thus Canon has underperformed.

Sorry, but it has to be said. Your analysis is complete nonesense. I do not like to go into details, just for the 5D2-5D3 comparison. True, the 5D3 has only a small advantege in IQ, but a far superior AF-System, much higer framerate, and better high ISO capabilities. Sure, the price is high, but it is NEW! and people like new (that's why some people had to wait quite some time for the camera).
And I think if consumers buy Canon stuff by the numbers they do at the moment, there will be no call from the shareholders at the CEO to resign.

Then the other part I do absolutly not like about your post is, the way you present Canon products as not being made for their costumers. Well if they did, they would need to build 2 dozens of FF-Camera types, and the twice as many APS-C bodies, and another dozen EOS-M. It is just not possible to make a camera that fullfills everybodys wishes, or it would simply be too expensive to build.

I would like to hear from you, what features the canon cameras exactly should have, and what the price point of them should be (to simply say everything they make is wrong, is easy).

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 11:32:17 AM »
Things like forcing a CEO to resign are done for poor financial performance as compared to other companies producing the similar products. 
Using this criteria, Nikon's CEO should be out of there, since they are not doing well, and Sony's photo business has been really poor too.
The D600 is going to make a ton of money for Canon, I'd buy one if I did not already have the 5D MK III on the way.  It has everything a good photographer needs to take high quality images.  Sure, its not a 1D, but it is going to open the door for many Rebel users to step up, which means more high end lens sales.

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 12:05:30 PM »
Yes, as well all know mega-corporations decide their future based on Forum Respectz.

TriGGy

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »
I got a friend who uses a 60D and is very excited to go full frame with a new camera coming, which incidentally is called a 6D. I guess the CEO doesn't need to resign at all.  ;D

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »
I call bull to this as well.  While the 6d does suck...the mk3 is an amazing camera --- and yeah, it is what most users asked for.  Target for that was definitely wedding photogs who felt that the IQ from the 5d2 was as good as it needed to be, but desired better AF, better build, and expanded ISO performance - we got that and most who use the mk3 for weddings are joyful for it.  No, its not a giant leap for studio and landscape shooters - but those users need different tools anyways.  Yes, the d800 is more suited to the studio.  And unless you have another body at your disposal, its not the best wedding camera either (you lose the advantage of FF because to get smaller files you have only the option to crop your RAW's).  This is where the idea of $$$ goes out the window because people  will line up to tell me memory is cheap and so are computers...just buy more CF/SD cards and more harddrives and cloud space and a new computer to handle the workflow... oh wait, I thought that $500 was so huge that one could never ever spend that much more?  Yes, if your workflow consists of more time spent setting up the shot than shooting, the d800 is impressive.  But I don't even want to think of the added costs of using that on over 3000 wedding shots.

Now with that said -- the 6d is a totally different beast with seemingly no real plus's to it (its a FF rebel at xd price competing against a d600 with actual pro features at the exact same price point!).  I believe it will be a flop  because ---

1) there is nothing wow about it
2) the price is still steep for rebel upgraders (especially when you factor in that EF-S glass is useless in the canon FF universe - at least on nikon you can still use it, albeit in crop mode --its still usable at least and not something you HAVE to sell because they won't mount on canon FF bodies)
3) Weak AF is the reason many rebel users opted for the 7d over the mk2 - (more options, less cost, more glass options because you have EF-S options) if you have to sell your glass and by new glass anyways, nikon becomes a whole lot more alluring
4)  Weak AF again - this FF should be a nice upgrade path for current 7d users.  Other than gaining a bit of low light advantage, this body is a step back (think of how many replies to all these threads have beat the drum of why not just have a version of the 7d AF in a FF body at a middle of the road price ---this isn't people wanting a 3500 cam for 2000...its people wanting a 2000 cam for 2000!!!!).
5)  Oddly enough, taking that pop up flash away kind of ruins this camera from the perspective of it being the FF upgrade path for rebel users. 
6)  it isn't attractive to professionals who may very well have wanted a valid option at this price point as a backup body.

That's how I see it with this camera.  If nikon had not released the d600 with the spec list it has, then, while no one would be excited about the 6d no one would be so hateful of it.  But they're both here!  And unless the d600 fails in many areas (IE, yeah, 39 points, but if they are all in the center of the frame its no real big help, and how does it perform, fast and precise or slower and less precise- and ISO, does it rock at 100-800---but fall off after that - vs - will the ISO on the 6d be on par with the mk3, while boasting less AF points, will they cover a larger area of the frame, and will any of them be any good except for the center one?).  All we have now is what we see on paper, and the paper leads to the d600 winning this round.  The real test will be when we see the 2 compete in the wild.
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Half Way To Nothing

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • A SLR one hit wonder..
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 01:08:22 PM »
I think this thread is pure comedy gold.

Asking if it's time for the CEO to go, come on really??? So, you have not used the camera, you don't know how it will sell and no one has done a review on it yet.

The specifications might not read as well as they could but it might perform well for the price to it's targeted users. The photo's and video's available to view look very good.

To most this is the first step to full frame, although not to my tastes I think it will be flying off the shelf's. More choice of camera's means a camera for every budget, in turn more lenses sold, more accessories sold, more people buying into the system.

And, should this not be for some, then it might force them to spend a little more then they hoped to get the 5d MK3. I doubt this will be any thing but positive for Canon no mater how you view the 6D.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:10:54 PM by Half Way To Nothing »
Canon 5D mkiii / Canon 50D - Canon 24-105L f4 IS / Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS / Sigma 10-22 f4.5 / Sigma 120-300 OS f2.8 / Sigma 1.4 x / Sigma 2 X

daniel_charms

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 01:10:44 PM »
Dilbert really outdid himself this time. (Which if you look at his history, is pretty difficult to do).

I don't know.... I started reading his post after reading a couple of the replies and got truly riled up at first and nearly wrote an angry response, but then I read on and became bored. He really lost his momentum somewhere around where he started talking about the 5d2. All in all, this one gets a 3, maybe 3.5 out of 5.

dilbert, I'm afraid you have failed in your job as the head of CR's trolling division. It's time for you to step down.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 01:49:35 PM »
Lots of interesting comment in this thread.  While I am not sure I would push it to a CEO stepping down, I am very disappointed with Canon strategy to strip down features in lower model like AF for example.  I much prefer Nikon approach as a consumer to offer as much as possible to each product.  I simply refuse to believe we need to pay $3k to get a decent Canon AF system now a days...

The second disappointment for me is the lack of improvements in their CMOS sensor compared to the competition (DR range for example, ability to pull and push shadows and highlights).   I have both Canon and Nikon gears, and when shooting in the sun outside, I am always frustrated at how Canon lack some DR for these typw of high contrast lighting settings.

That said, I think Canon is still king of the hilkl when it comes to lenses and their 61 pts AF system, but we need more then that now...
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses