November 26, 2014, 07:54:30 AM

Author Topic: /D: Embarrassing question  (Read 3153 times)

luoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
/D: Embarrassing question
« on: September 18, 2012, 10:44:58 AM »
Hi..

Was looking at a Canon 7D (used) today with a view of buying this as a second body to my 5d3 that comes into my hot sticky hands (!) on Friday.  My 600d is sold and packaged up.

Here is the embarrassing part (or user error) but is there some magic button or sequence to get auto focussing on when not in "green" auto mode? I tried in AV and TV modes with my own 70-200 II lens and it just did not auto focus in those modes.  The "AV Drive" button did not seem to make a difference and there was no guidebook to guide me.  I have the unit here on a loan to see if it suits me so I have chance to try and head slapping "doh" solutions.

My 600D did not demand any different behaviours and that seemed to AF.  I have reset all camera settings  and it did the same strange behaviour on default. 

So, with a possible red face, I am here to humbly ask I am doing something wrong, unintuitative or should I RTFA (if I get the unit, of course I would). 

In any case all the obvious things are checked (or so I hope)....

Yours..

Red Faced Luoto

canon rumors FORUM

/D: Embarrassing question
« on: September 18, 2012, 10:44:58 AM »

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: /D: Embarrassing question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:00:47 AM »
Might it be set to back-button focus?

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 11:08:08 AM »
There is a setting on the 7D when you can set the behaviors of the shutter button, back focus button, etc...  Check that to see what starts the AF drive...  I dont have my 7d in front of me so I cant tell you exactly what custom fuction it is, but it's there...  with that setting you can set which button starts metering, focus, shutter, etc...  IF all else fails, in the custom functions, you should have an option to clear all custom functions... that's a good place to start to default it back to factory settings so you can program it to work the way you want it set up to be. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

bchernicoff

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »
As others have said, the camera was probably set so that you must push the "AF On" button on the back of the camera for AF to start. Some people prefer to separate focusing from light metering, both of which happen by default when you half-press the shutter button. When set this way,  you can aim the camera at your subject and press AF On to focus, then recompose the shot and touch the shutter to light meter the scene as recomposed before taking the picture.
6D, Fuji X-T1, X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8,
Fuji 23mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2, 14mm 2.8, 18-55, 55-200

luoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 11:39:54 AM »
Thanks. I will check this in the morning as the camera is in my office. I had first tried resetting the three C settings per the menu and then I did a "reset all" settings that allegedly was accepted.  So, we shall see what a fresh head, good advice from you fine fellows, and the first few cups of morning coffee can deliver.  I shall update :)

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 09:19:42 PM »

luoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 01:29:45 AM »
OK resetting the camera a second time made no difference and something is not "clicking" to let me change the behaviour of the shutter button to focus AS well. The rear button does focus but the user screens are not so clear.  Here was quite helpful but I guess I must ask a dealer what the magic incantations.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/backbutton_af_article.shtml

Thanks, at least I know there's no fault now in any case. I downloaded the 7D manual as well, not that it is that clear and helpful (it is fine if you know what you are already reading, a bit like looking at a telescope from the wrong end).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 01:29:45 AM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 02:15:09 AM »
Is your lens set to AF?

Does the lens AF on another body?

1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

luoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 02:25:15 AM »
Yes to both (I double and tripled checked that).

The lens on the 7D will focus if you press the back "af on" button, but reading the vague programming instructions to allegedly let me make the shutter release button focus also (reverting behaviour) did not seem to work when going through the vague menu options for custom behaviour. It might be a language or translation issue. Why the heck they didn't just put a "Shutter button" behaviour=take picture, y/n; focus y/n; compose y/n...

Oh well seeing the dealer on Friday anyway.   Reading the Canon papers I can see the possible benefits but I am just concerned that it is hard to relearn years of "reflex action". I will persevere in any case to get to use the new function when not shooting in the automatic mode. 

I should not fear the future ! Thank you, all.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 02:30:57 AM »
This might sound silly but: do you have a CF card in? The camera may have No AF when no CF card present Enabled. I had this problem few weeks back when I tried to purchase a 70-200. The seller had brought his 5DII but didn't had the CF card and the AF wouldn't work giving us both palpitations (me because I really liked the lens and it was a great deal). Hope it works out for you!
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

luoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 02:33:52 AM »
Yep. Card in. I tried all the obvious things.

So things "work". Now I know what I was doing wrong.

The only thing I can't do is reprogramme it so shutter button would AF when in a creative mode.  I will try to live with this restriction as in some ways it felt the AF was faster when zooming around my office. I suspect, I am trying to convince myself of the value of this function :)
Have a nice day and thanks again.

Markus

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 03:14:50 AM »
Hello. Try this step by step.

Turn your camera on (duh)

Select one of the PSAM modes

Press the Q button

Use the joystick to navigate to the bottom right selection called Custom Controls (looks like a camera with antennas on the right side)

Press Set

Notice that one of ten selections is being selected on the right side, If it isn't already selected select the top left selection corresponding to the shutter button on the image displayed on screen (or press the picture style button to reset all the settings)

Press Set

Toggle the selection to the leftmost option called AF and metering start

Press Set

Exit the menu

This is the same menu one can access through the custom menus but this is a simpler approach. Hope this helps.

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 03:33:32 AM »
I would just go into the menu ... the rightmost yellow "Tool" tab ... all the way don .. second item from the bottom ... "RESET ALL CAMERA SETTINGS" ... that should do the trick.

EOS 7D AF can be activated by half-pressing shutter button in absolutely all modes ... green, P, Av,Tv, M, B ... no problem. It was just set differently - to back AF - by previous owner.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 03:33:32 AM »

luoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 03:50:37 AM »
AvTvM: I had tried that several times and the lens does NOT focus in AV mode, for example, pressing shutter down half way. Both with an old 1.x firmware and the latest 2.0.3. In AV mode after "clear all camera settings" the only way to get focus automatically is with the AF-ON button.

Markus: Thank you. For some reason you got through the fog. Please report to Canon HQ to help write their documentation! Even after the reset all settings, it was still sitting in the stage you described, so I needed to make the change.

Now I can perhaps learn the new function and when I forget to press the AF ON button, it is there in shutter as a safety catch for now.

Thank you again!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 03:50:37 AM »