October 01, 2014, 10:45:09 PM

Author Topic: Were EF-S lenses a bad idea?  (Read 9311 times)

meli

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Were EF-S lenses a bad idea?
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2012, 08:52:06 AM »
going back to my days on Aps-c i dont regret buying ef-s lenses and that even though i had a stash of ef lenses from the film days. Shooting with the 10-22 & 17-55 was much more enjoyable and productive than any ef combo and if i had to do it again i would also add the new 50-150 from sigma and feel complete. Resale value was also good on this lenses, i think i lost something like 100e when i sold the 10-22, thats 100$ for 4yrs of usage, not bad at all.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2012, 08:52:06 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2012, 09:07:12 AM »
No they were not a bad idea.

The 300D has been out what, 12 years?  And we now have an 'affordable' full frame camera.  A bit more costly than the 300D entry price in real terms.  And what you can buy a 1100D with EF-s lens for a sixth of the price.

Folk who wanted better glass initially bought off brand (UWA's, macros etc), or bought EF.

I never bought an expensive EF-s lens mainly because there were better third party alternatives.

The whole DX crop thing is dead handy, but in this megapixel obsessed age do you really want to downgrade your nice 36MP to a 15MP? 24MP to a 10MP?, or your 12MP to a 5MP?

I'm happy with APS-C and will continue to be happy with it.  My cameras are working well enough and giving me the same results they always have, which I was happy with at the time, and am happy with now.

The next EOS I'll be buying will be 2x EOS c, probably the C100 or equivalent.   Which is... super 35!  Which will work fine with my APS-C format Sigma DC and Tokina D lenses in EF mount.  I'm a bit different, I use my DSLRs for work (video) and frankly if they are working then I don't mess with them.  If I change one camera I need to change them both (my t3i and 7D are matched iso for iso, same processor, so intercutting cameras is not an issue, would the same be true of a digic V and digic IV?)

But the cameras will work, may even be hired out, they'll pay for their keep.  I'll use my DSLRs for stills, as that is my hobby.  But I would never have bought a 7D if it wasn't going to work.  I would never have bought a f2.8L telezoom if it wasn't going to work.  I don't have the need for full frame, and thanks to the c cameras I don't think I ever now will.

Canon more than any other company has opened up DSLRs to the masses.  Canon more than any other company has pushed expectations at the lower end of the market, giving people better cameras for less money.  The folk who want better will always buy better, upgrade, or enter the market at a higher point.

EF-s let Canon sell shed loads of cameras, let folk use EF lenses on them, and give them an upgrade path.
And still do.

If the next rebel is FF and cost less than $1000, then yeah, long term EF-s might be on the wane, but that won't write off the successes of the EF-s mount.  And who knows, future FF EOS cameras may not even have mirrors to strike, if EOS DSLRs can tell a flashgun that a lens is cropped, then the camera already knows...

If my T3i can put on stupid square crops then a future mirrorless 5D or 1D series can put on APS-C crops when and if required.

I remember the olden days when folk were more obsessed with photography and getting the right shot than gear.  It seems to me that the immediacy and speed of learning on a DSLR has put a lot of folks noses out of joint.   So they have to diss the cheaper gear.  Have to have only L lenses.  Have to have the latest most expensive camera.  Yet newbies with an eye, or dedicated learners on a budget are doing more interesting work.  Must be infuriating.

EF-s lenses have a bit to run yet, so long as students, beginners, occasional photographers want a good camera for less than a months wages, lang may their lum reek! 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:10:19 AM by paul13walnut5 »

NJK

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2012, 04:13:59 PM »
I don't think the EF-S lens line-up was a BAD idea...  Canon needed to do SOMETHING to give users of crop-sensor bodies good wide-angle performance at a reasonable price. 

Can you imagine how expensive and complex the optics would be to create an EF lens that matches the wide-angle performance of the EF-S 10-22mm on a crop-sensor body?!?  It would need to be the FF equiv. of roughly 6-14mm.  That's well into fisheye territory.  Trying to correct for the distortion in that focal length range (if it is even possible) would result in one heavy (lots of glass), costly lens!  So the EF-S lens line-up does serve a purpose. 

With a couple of exceptions, the EF-S line-up is filled with moderately priced, consumer-grade lenses.  These lenses tend to be "good enough" for people with crop-sensor Rebels, who just want something better than compact / point & shoot digial cameras. 

A consumer-grade crop-sensor body and an EF-S lens or two is also often the "starting point" for many beginners, who might later aspire to take their photography to the next level.  If/when they're ready to move up to a professional-grade (FF) body, this is usually the time they upgrade their lens(es) too.  A professional-grade body deserves professional-grade glass to really get the best performance out of it; your rig is only as good as its weakest link.  Very few beginners purchase lenses that are of high enough quality to later be used with a professional-grade body anyway.  So, even if you COULD use your EF-S lenses on a 5D III or 1DX body, would you really want to??  I see the EF-S lenses as the first step in (Canon) DSLR photography.         

I have a 60D.  The day I bought it, I knew that I would eventually upgrade to FF, so I was careful not to invest too much in EF-S lenses.

My 60D came with the EF-S 18-135mm IS lens.  Right away, I found that 18mm wasn't wide enough on my crop-sensor body, so I bought an EF-S 10-22mm lens a few months later.  BRAND NEW, the 10-22 is nearly L-series money, and I refused to invest that kind of dough in something that wouldn't work on FF later.  I found a great price on a used one, which was in mint condition.  When I move up to FF, I will be able to resell my 10-22 and get every penny back out of it, or maybe even make a few bucks on it. 

A couple of months ago, I finally got rid of my EF-S 18-135, and replaced it with the 24-105 L.  I really LOVE the 24-105, but with my crop-sensor body, I'm glad I have the EF-S 10-22.  When I move up to a FF body, I'll sell off the 10-22 and replace it with the 16-35mm L. 

Without EF-S lenses, I simply wouldn't have a viable option for wide / ultra-wide angle shooting.     

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2012, 04:13:59 PM »