October 20, 2014, 07:32:04 AM

Poll

At what price point will you consider buying the Canon 6D?

I have/will preorder the Canon 6D at $2099.
8 (6.9%)
I will purchase the Canon 6D at $1700-1900.
12 (10.3%)
I will purchase the Canon 6D at $1500-1700.
30 (25.9%)
I will only purchase the Canon 6D after testing show IQ exceeds that of the 5D Mark II.
24 (20.7%)
I won't be purchasing the Canon 6D ever due to lacking features.
42 (36.2%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Voting closed: September 21, 2012, 12:18:16 PM

Author Topic: At what price point will you consider buying the Canon 6D?  (Read 9492 times)

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
Re: At what price point will you consider buying the Canon 6D?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 01:36:19 PM »
With the price reductions on the 5D3 there really is little reason to buy a 6D, unless you need the built in WiFi and GPS features.

The price reduction from $3499 to $3449?  MSRP is only down by $50 from launch date.  All the other 'deal's are from online stores looking to move product at a faster rate - not from canon.  be savy, search for the deals, there is always some entity out there ready to make a deal.  But don't deal yourself into the misinformation stream, the camera is still essentially the same cost it was at launch.
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 01:36:19 PM »

matukas

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 01:50:14 PM »
If I had no EOS camera before, I would buy this. Whatever cheapest I'll get it from here (EU).

gilmorephoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Gilmore Photography
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 01:50:46 PM »
The rumored spec list (largely true) and the Adorama Saturday-night special caused me to pull the trigger on the 5D3.  At $2750 vs. $2100, there was at least $650 worth of value for me to get what I really wanted.  That said, I would gladly pay circa $2k for a full frame camera with the 6D features provided I didn't have to focus and recompose for portraits (that's where they flubbed); with only a center cross-type, the 6D is no more useful to me than my trusty T1i (sensor aside). Having borrowed a friend's 5D3 for a shoot, I've come to appreciate that nailing focus is that much more critical with a full-frame sensor when shoot at a wide aperture (i.e., 1.4 on a crop vs. 1.4 on FF) because of the shallower DOF.  Because the 5D3 had useful focus points where I needed them, I didn't have to worry about getting a sharp picture; all I worried about was capturing the right moment.  That is worth every penny.

I'm still willing to bet that Canon will be successful with the 6D for the same reasons it was with the 5D2.  Folks who want a FF sensor for video will not have to get the 5D3 for very similar output.  Just my $0.02.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:41:33 PM by gilmorephoto »
5D3 | 24-70mm EF f2.8L II | 40mm EF f/2.8 | 100mm EF f/2.8L | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

sovietdoc

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 02:01:35 PM »
D600 is helluva better camera than 6D and that's coming from a Canon guy.

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 02:22:45 PM »
At $1400, this camera would sell like hotcakes.  I'd buy one.  I was hoping it would have AF during video like the T4i though.  $2100 is too much.  I might as well wait for a deal on a 5D mkIII.
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

ablearcher

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 02:25:03 PM »
IMO, $2100-2000 is a fair price for entry level FF body, so pricing is not an issue for me - it is acceptable as announced. My concern is IQ and AF performance. I already know that the shutter is crap and the sync speed is poor. The GPS and WiFi is fine, but frankly I could care less.  So if IQ is out of this world and AF is reliable, I might consider getting it regardless of the price (MSRP or lower). If IQ and AF are crap (and we already know about the rest) or not on par with competition, then I'm not going to buy this cam even if it will be a thousand bucks new. Its not like there is nothing to consider on today's market.  The way Canon is building its product line these days, i am seriously considering buying a second non-Canon system.

All these morons needed to do was to place a modern AF system into MKII. Instead they decided to produce a crippled Rebel with FF sensor and some built in gadgets which have nothing to do with IQ. What was Canon thinking?
Canon 7D; Canon 5D MKIII; Canon EF-S 10-22mm; Canon 50mm 1.8; Canon 28mm 1.8; Canon 85mm 1.8; Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS; Canon 135mm 2.0 L; Canon 35mm 1.4 L.

matukas

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 02:54:54 PM »
Most times when I shoot with my camera, I'm using center point only (sometimes expanded). But it's high-end FF model.
With Canon I started with EOS 50 (film) camera and stopped with it in around 2002. It has 3 AF points. After that have using point&shoot weatherproof Olympus and Panasonic. Recently started again with EOS, but this time digital FF, and don't care is it 9, 11, 19, 45 or 63 AF points. If it's more than 3, it's ok :-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 02:54:54 PM »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 02:58:16 PM »
IMO, $2100-2000 is a fair price for entry level FF body, so pricing is not an issue for me - it is acceptable as announced. My concern is IQ and AF performance. I already know that the shutter is crap and the sync speed is poor. The GPS and WiFi is fine, but frankly I could care less.  So if IQ is out of this world and AF is reliable, I might consider getting it regardless of the price (MSRP or lower). If IQ and AF are crap (and we already know about the rest) or not on par with competition, then I'm not going to buy this cam even if it will be a thousand bucks new. Its not like there is nothing to consider on today's market.  The way Canon is building its product line these days, i am seriously considering buying a second non-Canon system.

All these morons needed to do was to place a modern AF system into MKII. Instead they decided to produce a crippled Rebel with FF sensor and some built in gadgets which have nothing to do with IQ. What was Canon thinking?
We already know the af system is a joke, center point is the only cross focus point. My original 5d while loving the image quality the focus system made me want ot pull my hair out. At least he 7d has all cross points.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

kapanak

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 03:07:58 PM »
I think DPReview puts it very harshly, but elegantly.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/6

"Overall, though, it's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark. It's still bound to be a very good camera, of course; just perhaps not quite as good as it could be."

I owned a 5DII four nearly four years before I sold it and two of my Canon lenses this past spring.
Why in the world would I spend as much as I sold my 5DII (with batteries and grip and such) on the Canon 6D, when the Canon 6D is simply a rehashed 5DII with different body design, newer processor and even worse AF. Not to mention cheap construction. Seriously, at least the centre AF on the 5DII was immensely and reassuringly accurate and fast. >_>

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 03:17:43 PM »
just wait and see the real test of all canon 6d's focus points in low light situations.  however, i expect this camera, canon 6d, will offer less noise comparing to 5d mark III based on its pixel size 6.54 μm vs 6.25 μm, respectively.  about missing joint-stick... yes i know it is a big loss to people who love to use their joint-stick to select focus (i am one of them).  but i think canon 6d offer the inside wheel which can be used as a replacement to joint stick right?  (i am not sure on this part since i do not own a canon 60d).

i am just sitting here and wait for the real test on canon 6d...

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 03:19:42 PM »
I won't ever be buying a 6D due to is ludicrous Ergos taken from the 60D. I'd rather get a 5D2.

Brymills

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 03:40:41 PM »
With the price reductions on the 5D3 there really is little reason to buy a 6D, unless you need the built in WiFi and GPS features.

The price reduction from $3499 to $3449?  MSRP is only down by $50 from launch date.  All the other 'deal's are from online stores looking to move product at a faster rate - not from canon.  be savy, search for the deals, there is always some entity out there ready to make a deal.  But don't deal yourself into the misinformation stream, the camera is still essentially the same cost it was at launch.

There's no such thing as MSRP in the UK, and it's down 500 pounds - 2999 at launch to 2469 in the cheapest store, and these are reputable dealers.

http://camerapricebuster.com/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_III_Body_pc.html

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 03:41:54 PM »
I think DPReview puts it very harshly, but elegantly.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/6

"Overall, though, it's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark. It's still bound to be a very good camera, of course; just perhaps not quite as good as it could be."

I owned a 5DII four nearly four years before I sold it and two of my Canon lenses this past spring.
Why in the world would I spend as much as I sold my 5DII (with batteries and grip and such) on the Canon 6D, when the Canon 6D is simply a rehashed 5DII with different body design, newer processor and even worse AF. Not to mention cheap construction. Seriously, at least the centre AF on the 5DII was immensely and reassuringly accurate and fast. >_>

It's funny, because my first take on the d600 was, meh, if i already shot nikon its tempting, but its kind of just a scaled down d800 and the price isn't that much lower....if i were in the nikon system I can't see why this would stop me from snagging a d800.

Maybe canon is getting paid by nikon to take a fall this round...lol... because the d600 all of a sudden looks awesome compared to the 6d.  LOL.  Honestly though, neither are WOW.  Both are decent evolutionary upgrades and in some sense, downgrades. 
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 03:41:54 PM »

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 04:24:07 PM »
I've got a 5DIII. What would I want with a 6D?

If it were throw-away cheap, a few hundred dollars, such that I could toss one in a bag as a backup and not care much what happened to it, sure, maybe. Otherwise...well, there's no more reason for me to buy a 6D than there would to buy a Rebel.

Doesn't mean I think it's a bad camera. It seems a reasonable camera for the price. Hardly exciting, but I'm sure lots of people will put it to excellent use and get great value from it.

Cheers,

b&

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »
I've got a 5DIII. What would I want with a 6D?

I've got a 5DmkII and I don't want this thing. I guarantee you sacrifices have been made in build quality to offer this thing at ~$2kUSD.

Canon, why oh why?
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »