August 23, 2014, 05:38:11 AM

Author Topic: New Canon EOS-M  (Read 8904 times)

Alex

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
New Canon EOS-M
« on: September 18, 2012, 03:47:08 PM »
Hello everyone,

Just had a rather interesting day spent with a couple of the Canon reps.. Basically iv got to play with the new EOS-M.. Build quality is very good, it has a touch screen which is pretty much the same as a iPhone ( very good even tho I strongly dislike touch screens on cameras ).. The only downside to today was I wasn't able to try it with either the standard kit lens or with the EF adaptor.. Ill uploaded some pics.. If you have any questions just ask..

Update.. For some reason I cant upload the images to Canon Rumors so Ill add them to my flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66876906@N06/
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:50:59 PM by Alex »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: New Canon EOS-M
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 04:01:11 PM »
I really think the camera looks nice, though for the specs slightly overpiced - not surprisingly.

Please post some picture taken with the 22mm pancake wide open, if you can :)

Alex

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 04:07:49 PM »
I really think the camera looks nice, though for the specs slightly overpiced - not surprisingly.

Please post some picture taken with the 22mm pancake wide open, if you can :)

Unfortunately I wasn't able to take any pics with it, they didn't have any lens due to all the lens going to photokina.. But from the sample images that I saw it looked impressive..

bradds

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 04:14:48 AM »
Sounds like a great day  :)

Do you know what date it will be launched in the UK?

Thanks

Mark.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 05:09:12 AM »

Thanks

Mark.

October 19 according to Amazon.

Bob Howland

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 07:36:54 AM »
Did the Canon reps happen to mention how fast Canon was going to expand the next M camera line? Once Canon gets the focusing speed issues resolved and we all become accustomed to using an EVF, the 7D2 might actually be an M camera.

Alex

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 08:31:56 AM »

Thanks

Mark.

They didn't give a day but they said it is going to be released October/ November... This isn't for definite if you know what I mean..

Alex

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 08:45:04 AM »
Did the Canon reps happen to mention how fast Canon was going to expand the next M camera line? Once Canon gets the focusing speed issues resolved and we all become accustomed to using an EVF, the 7D2 might actually be an M camera.

No, they were quite strong about this.. It looks like Canon is testing the temp of the water with the EOS-M... They did say that the EOS-M more than likely will "not" have a EVF as a plug in accessory.. But it will support all canons flash guns...

Another thing that surprised me was that you can't shoot without a lens.. which means that if you want to use old FD lens with and adaptor ( like the NEX range ) it can't be done on the model that I had a play with..  It could be when they release the production model they will change the firmware to allow shooting without lens..

There was no mention of a 7D2 but we did get to see a sample image of the 6D which was extremely impressive..

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 09:38:12 AM »

No, they were quite strong about this.. It looks like Canon is testing the temp of the water with the EOS-M... They did say that the EOS-M more than likely will "not" have a EVF as a plug in accessory.. But it will support all canons flash guns...

Another thing that surprised me was that you can't shoot without a lens.. which means that if you want to use old FD lens with and adaptor ( like the NEX range ) it can't be done on the model that I had a play with..  It could be when they release the production model they will change the firmware to allow shooting without lens..

There was no mention of a 7D2 but we did get to see a sample image of the 6D which was extremely impressive..

As long as there's some attachment then it should be fine...?

If that's true about not being able to use FD or any other legacy lenses then the M will lose a lot of buyers, I mean, that's the main reason to go mirror less for a lot of people, along with compact IQ of course.

Alex

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 04:41:21 PM »

As long as there's some attachment then it should be fine...?

If that's true about not being able to use FD or any other legacy lenses then the M will lose a lot of buyers, I mean, that's the main reason to go mirror less for a lot of people, along with compact IQ of course.

They might address that issue when they release the production model.. Basically from what I was told the EOS-M is a 650D shrunk.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 10:43:40 PM »

Adapters have been announced by 3rd  party vendors, so you should be able to use one. I don't think Canon sees a big enough market.  They have to have a minimum production run just to stock stores around the world, and that number is probably far larger than the market.
The camera is targeted to women, and I strongly disagree that they will be buying it to use 30 -50 year old lenses.
The vintage lens adapter market is a low volume market, and best served by low volume sellers who can make a profit selling them.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 11:09:22 PM »
I'm sure that more than 1 NEX has been sold on the basis of it being able to use Leica M glass (hey, if you blow your cash on an M lens you don't have much left for a camera. Or your old M5 finally died and you can't afford an exorbitant amount for an M9 to replace it).

Still, i'm presuming the EOS-M "not being able to shoot without a lens" is just a temporary thing. My EOS 3 doesn't like shooting without a lens either, but a $20 AF-Chip fixed that right up. And seeing as the EOS-M can take regular EF lenses with an adapter, there's your fix: Just put on a regular EF-chip and then the camera will think it's just shooting an EF lens on adapter, no matter if it's really EF, FD, A, M, L39, M42, whatever.
And if that doesn't work, I'll give China 6 months and there'll be an AF chip for the EOS M anyway...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 04:13:22 AM »

The camera is targeted to women, and I strongly disagree that they will be buying it to use 30 -50 year old lenses.
The vintage lens adapter market is a low volume market, and best served by low volume sellers who can make a profit selling them.

Why?  :o

I would love to have good IQ in a compact package for when I travel or I just can't/won't bring a full sized DSLR with me. But still, mirrorless cameras are not quite pocketable.

Honestly, my girlfriend would be much more happy to have a RX100 than a EOS-M, and I imagine most women would agree.

EDIT:
No built-in flash is a deal breaker already.

Alex

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 10:58:24 AM »
EDIT:
No built-in flash is a deal breaker already.
[/quote]

From what I heard the EOS-M comes with a small flashgun as part of a package with the 18-55 or the 22mm

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 12:09:12 PM »
Why?  :o

I would love to have good IQ in a compact package for when I travel or I just can't/won't bring a full sized DSLR with me. But still, mirrorless cameras are not quite pocketable.

There are mirrorless cameras that are targeted towards enthusiasts, but this isn't one of them. Canon are probably trying to figure out how to do it without cannibalising their DSLR sales. Whatever the reason for their late arrival in this market, they are a late comer to what is already a very crowded field -- Fuji, Sony, Olympus and Panasonic already have better cameras with better options for lenses.